Grocery Stores: news/development

trueicon

Re: Grocery Stores: news/development

Postby trueicon » 13 Jun 2018 10:55

^ I stand corrected. Yes, Kroger sold off their convenience stores, including their Tom Thumb stores, a few months ago.

I'm betting we can expect a slightly smaller version of this Albertsons Express prototype:

http://www.supermarketnews.com/news/alb ... re-concept

It appears that convenience stores are a new test for Albertsons/Safeway. Looks like they are experimenting with different sizes and amenities. For example, the first prototype that opened in Boise Idaho in Dec. 2017 had a drive thru, and was a little bit larger. I would love for this to succeed and others open in the CBD. I don't see this as much of a smaller "Tom Thumb" as much as I see this a direct competitor to QwikTrip. In the northeast and Florida, there is a convenience store called Wawa that serves as the model for super-sized convenience stores. It would be very cool if they included a made-to-order sandwich station like Wawa has.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Jun 2018 12:30

Just for the sake of the concept itself, maybe not this location, hope that they do have enough grocery elements. I have been to multiple QT's and yes they have more options than a 7Eleven sometimes but I would like to see a serious moderate-sized grocery concept. This one is across the street from a full size so it will be basically just a convenience store but I can still see value in the smaller corner grocery. I personally 95% of the time shop on the outside edges of a grocery store so I know the mix matters cause you obviously are not going to carry a huge variety of items.

I do like Trader Joes and Aldi for their size even though they don't have everything I need. Maybe some sort of the food delivery element is what is missing. Order tougher stuff online and pick up groceries at once. You keep the most popular stuff immediately in stock much how Amazon keeps certain goods in stock for Prime Now deliveries. I know Walmart has stores around the size of Aldi in other smaller towns that aren't suitable for a supercenter but I have not seen them bother with inner-city stores. Neighborhood Markets seem to not be working for them either as well as they hoped. It seems like a model whereas you are pumping your car with gas while they are loading up your SUV with your grocery order could work.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 14 Jun 2018 12:27

Walmart plans a Lower Greenville return, but with a store you wouldn't expect
Maria Halkias, Retail Writer

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... dnt-expect

Walmart is focused on Lower Greenville once again with a new concept from its Sam's Club division it hasn't even named yet.
The store will open this fall in the 32,000-square-foot building on the southeast corner of Greenville between Belmont and Richmond avenues that had housed a Walmart Neighborhood Market for a short time.
Walmart will not return with the plain vanilla grocery store concept it closed in January 2016.

Think technology-driven shopping and fresh foods under the Sam's Club banner, but much smaller. (A regular Sam's Club ranges from around 100,000 to 150,000 square feet.)

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 14 Jun 2018 13:08

Still a horrible use of the land, but it seems the only other alternative is to let the building sit empty until the lease runs out, correct?

If our only other option is an empty building, then I'll take this. At least they are trying something new here, and this part of town could use more grocery stores. Plus this news makes it seem like the Sam's club on the old Xerox site has a 0% chance of happening (we pretty much already knew that already, but this re-enforces that idea even more).

My only concern is I hope this doesn't hurt Trader Joe's too much.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 14 Jun 2018 13:11

NdoorTX wrote:Walmart plans a Lower Greenville return, but with a store you wouldn't expect
Maria Halkias, Retail Writer

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... dnt-expect

Walmart is focused on Lower Greenville once again with a new concept from its Sam's Club division it hasn't even named yet.
The store will open this fall in the 32,000-square-foot building on the southeast corner of Greenville between Belmont and Richmond avenues that had housed a Walmart Neighborhood Market for a short time.
Walmart will not return with the plain vanilla grocery store concept it closed in January 2016.

Think technology-driven shopping and fresh foods under the Sam's Club banner, but much smaller. (A regular Sam's Club ranges from around 100,000 to 150,000 square feet.)

I will reserve final judgement until I see this "concept" they have planned, but I almost feel like this could be worse than having the Neighborhood Market and like Walmart/Sam's is punishing urban Dallas for killing the Cityplace Sam's Club.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 14 Jun 2018 13:29

That's an interesting point. Well, if this grocery store isn't worth it, I'm sure the market will ensure it doesn't do well (as they have in the past).

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 14 Jun 2018 13:46

I almost feel like this could be worse than having the Neighborhood Market and like Walmart/Sam's is punishing urban Dallas for killing the Cityplace Sam's Club.

I don't get that feeling - I think it will more be a 'order online and pick up in-store' for Sams Club bulk stuff- which is really an excellent use of the existing space. Plus electronics, and as far as I can tell, BestBuy's closest store is barely inside 635. I'd call it an 'urban model' big box store.

Of course this is all just speculation and I have no idea if such a concept is even needed.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Jun 2018 15:34

Lower Greenville and this thread are talking about the same thing.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 13 Jul 2018 16:41

The Central Market at Northwest Hwy./Midway (ex-Albertsons, ex-Sun Fresh) will open September 5.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... ewest.html

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 13 Jul 2018 16:55

Looks like Walmart still wants to be in the small-format/convenience/fuel segment, with one in Crowley, another this week in Plano, and 3 more to come in Lake Worth, south Arlington, and The Colony. Even though they tried small-format stores before, and bailed out of all of those (Brookshire's snapped up all the TX locations and reopened those as a new division called "Spring Market"), this new set of stores are different in that they are in parking lots of existing Walmart locations that don't yet have gas pumps or other convenience store infrastructure on their property.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... cepts.html

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 16 Jul 2018 03:08

Are there any examples of Walmart anchoring a mixed used development or do they refuse any sort of deal?

The Walmart location on 75 is in a very prime location, however, it has always seem less frequented than other Walmarts around town. It makes you wonder if there are changes in store for that location.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 16 Jul 2018 05:33

From what I've seen, it's mostly standalones, big-box-o-ramas, or suburban neighborhood centers. Nothing like Whole Foods on McKinney or the 2 upcoming Tom Thumbs near DTD. From what I can tell, they're not hot about collaborations, other than the spaces that are along the front wall (banks, fast food, etc) of the big store locations. I guess they like mainly going it alone, maybe so there's no one to answer to (?).

As far as the WM Market at 75/Hall, I'm not sure. The few times I've talked to anyone in management there, they insist they're one of the best Market stores in sales. Looks like they're getting a refresh/renovation of some kind now (storage trailers outside and all), but there's land on both sides of the building. I don't know if they ever want to make it bigger/better, or just leave it as is. Eventually, as the area of DTD-and-beyond gets denser, WM may have to address what they really want to do long-term there.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 16 Jul 2018 07:19

As a McKinney Costco store opens (July 25), apparently there is interest about a 2nd Dallas location -- the ex-Sam's off Greenville/Park Lane. Soil testing has been done in recent days on the site; the ownership of the site varies by source. There looks to be ties to Costco in one way or another, depending on records, but the company isn't commenting for now.

It would be good to have another Costco in Dallas proper, but the surrounding area to the immediate north/east of the potential site is likely a long-term issue. As for other parts of town, it will be interesting to see what interest, if any, Costco has about them.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... b-mckinney

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Jul 2018 08:21

That would be odd cause Walmart/Sam's like many retailers always puts in a non-compete clause so its unlikely the old Sams on Park Lane could easily be leased to a competitor like Costco. The question is has someone come up with a way to redevelop the property to render the non-compete clause null and void.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 16 Jul 2018 09:37

I was reading a thread about the Wynnewood Kroger on one of the Oak Cliff Facebook groups, and several people mentioned the rumor of a Sprouts coming to the property that currently houses El Fenix at the SE corner of Colorado and Beckley. Anybody here heard anything about that?

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 16 Jul 2018 10:06

ericthegardener wrote:I was reading a thread about the Wynnewood Kroger on one of the Oak Cliff Facebook groups, and several people mentioned the rumor of a Sprouts coming to the property that currently houses El Fenix at the SE corner of Colorado and Beckley. Anybody here heard anything about that?

I think that rumor started circulating around the same time Central Market purchased the property on Davis, so about a year ago. It's credible because Firebird Restaurant Group has been purchasing the properties surrounding El Fenix and it only makes sense that they're assembling land for something like that. Maybe Firebird has a letter of interest from Sprouts to come in once the site is cleared.

Back in March, Heritage Oak Cliff posted something about the owners of the barely-standing Polar Bear Ashburns building (Firebird) trying to get a hold of the family that owned Polar Bear Ashburns. That building is adjacent to the site so hopefully this means that while the El Fenix building might come down, Firebird will save the Polar Bear building.

Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 10.50.39 AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 16 Jul 2018 11:52

A grocery store right next to a streetcar station is always a nice addition to the urban fabric.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 16 Jul 2018 13:02

I would love it if that happened! Sprouts would be good at serving a wide swath of the community. I've found their prices to be pretty affordable for most, but they also have a fair amount of healthy food. Hope it graduates past the rumor stage.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 16 Jul 2018 14:22

ericthegardener wrote:I was reading a thread about the Wynnewood Kroger on one of the Oak Cliff Facebook groups, and several people mentioned the rumor of a Sprouts coming to the property that currently houses El Fenix at the SE corner of Colorado and Beckley. Anybody here heard anything about that?

I hope not. It's right next to the Street Car stop too..another lot wasted by a parking lot?! Nah I'm good.. With Central Market coming, Fiesta, Jerry's, cox's and Kroger nearby why add another grocer?! Come on..

Bring something else to the area; we need more stores out here. Add a mixed use building that has neigborhood amenities as retail.. anything but a grocer we good on that front.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Jul 2018 15:28

That's funny you say that. I know several people that live in that area that would gladly welcome a grocery store of the Sprouts kind and feel like there are no options in Oak Cliff. They also don't like driving to Fiesta down on Jefferson or the Wynnewood Kroger and will most likely drive across the bridge to the new Tom Thumbs or Whole Foods if they are feeling wealthy that day. All I am saying is its clearly just one experience over the other. Personally, I wish we had more inner-city Sprouts but I also wish they were urban design rather than just suburban which seems to be why they have not gone after urban locations.

I could easily see a Sprouts in this rumored area because besides the Hospital there isn't a significant draw for people. Its kind of a pass-through area unless you have Hospital business. This part of Oak Cliff that borders the Trinity River to Davis Street seems a little untapped beyond whats at Bishop Arts of course. Those other options are further south and if a Sprouts were to make it to this spot I am sure Downtown CBD residents would also cross the bridge for it as well.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Jul 2018 15:34

Also, I would not put it past the hospital admin to be currently active in encouraging new developers to move in for projects like this. Hospitals that want to attract a good hiring pool of talent will want the area immediately surrounding the hospital to be flush with options for lunch, dinner, decent shopping etc. The Zang/Trinity area is kinda sleepy in terms of its retail/commercial activity while having plenty of lands that could be better developed to create an active area amenity for the hospital.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 23 Jul 2018 21:23

The goings-on lately in the grab-and-go meals segment has seen many players come along in the last few years, with Snap Kitchen one of the few survivors. Many north TX grocers are represented in the space, and seem to be able to compete.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... hallengers

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Jul 2018 11:52

I have a friend with a local startup in this business he appears to be focused on an approach that not only feeds you but supplies food to local food banks as part of your meal buy. I am definitely curious how things will shake out. All the grocery stores are playing with the curbside pickup for groceries but I have yet to see that service used with my own eyes.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 03 Aug 2018 10:02

The DMN has found out that the ex-Albertsons/ex-Sun Fresh at Mockingbird/Abrams is to be subdivided, instead of being a grocery space again. There will be 3 store fronts there, but it's unclear who the tenants will be.

https://www.dallasnews.com/life/curious ... exas-finds

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 03 Aug 2018 10:46

I guess its better than a large 99 cent store.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 09 Aug 2018 08:19

The merger of Albertsons and Rite Aid has been called off. If the deal had gone through, Albertsons would have branded all its pharmacies (including Tom Thumb's) as Rite Aid pharmacies.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... lans-merge

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 24 Aug 2018 22:06

Despite reports I've heard to the contrary, Amazon-owned Whole Foods is going ahead with its 365 store concept. The latest one opened this week in Houston; it is the second TX store, and the company's 10th 365 store overall.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... store.html

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Aug 2018 13:21

Hmm, it's 30,000 sqft so its bigger than a Trader Joes. It does seem like an attempt on a slightly more affordable Whole Foods offering that competes more with Kroger, Alberstons, Tom Thumb but then again all I can tell is based on pics and the news articles. I think its a mistake to feature the Whole Foods logo so strongly and not establish 365 brand. Some will just assume its a half-hearted Whole Foods and either be disappointed or assume its just as pricey and avoid it all together. I like some of the Whole Foods DNA they are trying here though. Instore restaurants that partner with local brands seems like a very Whole Foods kind of thing to do and lots of prepared stuff. Also trying to incorporate store decore that pay attention to local cultural things.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 28 Aug 2018 11:21

I am starting to get concerned that if they don't announce the mixed use development soon for McKinney and Lemmon for the Central Market that it could be delayed even more due to the upcoming slowdown in a year or so.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 04 Sep 2018 11:12

Cbdallas wrote:I am starting to get concerned that if they don't announce the mixed use development soon for McKinney and Lemmon for the Central Market that it could be delayed even more due to the upcoming slowdown in a year or so.

"Oak Cliff and Uptown Central Markets continue to be in the works, but without firm timelines."

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/Wh ... 86961.html

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 04 Sep 2018 11:28

The usual yes we still own the land and plan to do something one day...PR people don't have to work very hard sometimes.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 04 Sep 2018 12:20

cowboyeagle05 wrote:The usual yes we still own the land and plan to do something one day...PR people don't have to work very hard sometimes.

The DMN version has a little more sauce.

Uptown Dallas
The future store at Lemmon and McKinney avenues will be a bit bigger than the Lovers Lane store, Butt said. H-E-B owns the store lease, but not the land. The owner of the Uptown property has asked Central Market for more time to plan a mixed-use project.

Oak Cliff
Last year, H-E-B bought the property of a former Dallas County schools transportation building on the northeast corner of West Davis Street and North Beckley Avenue. "It's a great opportunity. It's a tight spot, not a lot of space," Butt said. "We're working on a type and size store that will be something the city and community will get excited about."

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... ket-dallas

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 04 Sep 2018 13:41

So who owns the land again? Are we talking about a smaller family-owned business or a big name property owner?

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 04 Sep 2018 14:58

And they're not bailing from the lot at Lemmon/Throckmorton. All these acreages (in-town, suburban) they own and hold onto, really aren't making them any $$$$, but I guess they're thinking about the future, and also keeping any other potential owners/competitors from snapping them up.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 04 Sep 2018 15:27

I believe they own just over 122,000 sf in Oak Cliff. Their store on Preston Rd that used to be a Borders is 30,000 sf, so assuming you need 3,000 sf of parking per 1,000 of retail then a store that size would work in the space they have.

Of course, it would be so much better if they buried the parking and built something facing Davis St.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 04 Sep 2018 18:00

HEB is known to squat on land just to keep competitors out. When I moved out of College Station they had a vacant grocery store on a main drag that they had no plans to move into at the time, but it forced out an Albertsons. They are in no rush to give up that land/build/open a store.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 05 Sep 2018 10:18

flyswatter wrote:HEB is known to squat on land just to keep competitors out. When I moved out of College Station they had a vacant grocery store on a main drag that they had no plans to move into at the time, but it forced out an Albertsons. They are in no rush to give up that land/build/open a store.

I agree it's not beneath them to use Walmart tactics, but it's important to note three very different real estate circumstances here:

In Oak Lawn, they own the property but it's not zoned for a grocery store and they would likely face a very protracted process with the Oak Lawn Committee and city for approval. In Uptown, they are waiting for the property owner to draw up plans for their mixed-use building and have no control over construction. In Bishop Arts, they own 100% of the property and could start building tomorrow if they wanted.

So while it's tempting to say that they're stalling on purpose, it might make more sense to run the small Oak Cliff location as a satellite to one of the larger ones in Oak Lawn or Uptown, similar to how Royal Blue opened the Mercantile store to feed off the larger one on Ross.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 08 Sep 2018 15:17

New Central Market at NW Highway/Midway is open. Not as small and claustrophobic as the location at Preston/Royal but it is for sure more compact than Lovers Lane or any in the 'burbs. Parking was also tight, but it was a very nice Central Market with everything the other locations offer and I will for sure be back.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 27 Sep 2018 12:29

North Dallas is getting a second Costco store on Park Lane

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -park-lane

North Dallas is getting a new Costco store.

The popular warehouse discount retailer is starting work on its second Dallas location on Park Lane near NorthPark Center mall.

Costco is spending almost $10 million to renovate and expand a vacant big-box store on Park Lane at Greenville Avenue, building permit records show.

The more than 133,000-square-foot building was previously housed a Sam's Club store - one of Costco's top competitors.

Costco has been eyeing the property for months.

Costco representatives say they won't discuss planned store openings that are more than four months away.

Sam's Club closed the store in 2011 when it moved to the nearby Timber Creek Crossing shopping center on Northwest Highway.

Costco opened its first Dallas store last year on Coit Road just south of LBJ Freeway.

That store is about four miles north of the new store site on Park Lane.

In July the retailer opened a store in McKinney - its 12th location in North Texas.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 27 Sep 2018 14:53

But will they be able to sell alcohol not just beer and wine.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 27 Sep 2018 20:10

It's going to cost more than $10 million to clean up the surrounding neighborhood. I applaud Costco for finally making up for lost time, but there's a reason not many retailers have planted locations in Five Points/Vickery Meadow.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 27 Sep 2018 21:00

itsjrd1964 wrote:It's going to cost more than $10 million to clean up the surrounding neighborhood. I applaud Costco for finally making up for lost time, but there's a reason not many retailers have planted locations in Five Points/Vickery Meadow.

Yeah, the area is pretty sketchy. My sister’s first apartment was in this area. Her apartment was robbed.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 28 Sep 2018 13:37

The upscale Costco shopper will lead to more police presence and clean up the adjacent area. In the short term, it'll be positive, but I would guess in the long term a Costco a half-mile from a DART station will hold back more intense development.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 30 Sep 2018 12:52

There have been some good bites taken out of the area's issues though. Several complexes have seen some reinvestment. A few were torn down a few years ago. In general, Costco will cause some property owners to increase rent and try to market to new businesses. I would rather see more density driven development on this side but Shops at Park Lane set a bad example in many ways so I am not surprised another developer hasn't shown up with some glorious massive mixed-use project.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 18 Oct 2018 06:18

The latest DFW-area grocery market share numbers are in:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... innovating

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 18 Oct 2018 09:12

On the list, above when you break it down by 'market share per store' (kind of a rough metric for brand loyalty/quality of locations chosen), Costco (.47) is of course the king, but WinCo (.37) is doing super great also. WalMart/Sams Club (.21) are growing because their market share per store is well above most of the stand-alone grocers (.11-.15 range). Surprisingly, HEB (.22) is the only specialty grocer that bests WalMart. Trader Joes (.15) was worse than I would have expected, and Aldi (.03) is a real dog.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 18 Oct 2018 09:20

I am disappointed to see Trader Joes not take on a bit more and open a few more stores. I could see them opening a few more in inside the loop of and being successful in establishing more of a footprint to collect market share and increase overall brand awareness.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 29 Oct 2018 10:33

A one-of-a-kind, no checkout Sam's Club is about to open on Lower Greenville in Dallas

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... lle-dallas

While Amazon Go's cashierless store has grabbed all the attention, a Sam's Club innovation lab in downtown Dallas has created a warehouse club without checkouts and with a new name.

Sam's Club Now is a technology incubator warehouse that will open in November on Lower Greenville in a remodeled building that used to house a Walmart Neighborhood Market. A few miles away, Sam's innovation lab opened this summer with more than 100 technology engineers in a West End office building.

The store will open with 700 cameras that work with the warehouse club's Scan & Go app. Shoppers will be able to locate items through the app using voice search capabilities.

"'Where is something?' is the No. 1 question we get," said Jamie Iannone, CEO of SamsClub.com and executive vice president of membership and technology. Eventually, the app will use navigation beacon technology to map out the store with the fewest steps needed to complete the customer's shopping list.

It's not a concept store that Sam's Club plans to roll out nationwide.

Sam's Club Now will remain a one-of-a-kind working lab where engineers will develop and refine shopping tools based on customer use, he said. Those capabilities then can be taken to other stores. The Scan & Go app will be the "backbone" of the store and will be the only way to shop and check out.

Walmart and Sam's have other technology offices and efforts underway, but Sam's Club now is "one more avenue to develop, test and refine technology and features that will create new shopping experiences at scale," said Sam's Club CEO John Furner.

The retail industry is focused on technology that improves both the in-store and online customer experience.

Amazon has opened five of its Amazon Go convenience stores so far in Seattle, Chicago and San Francisco. It'll reportedly expand to as many as 3,000 stores that let shoppers walk out without stopping to check out. In the grocery aisles, analysts say that Walmart, which owns Sam's Club, and Amazon, which purchased Austin-based Whole Foods Market in 2017, are in a technology arms race.

Sam's Club Now will also open with electronic price tags. There are plans to use augmented reality technology, Iannone said. The app will allow customers to place and pick up an order within an hour. It will also facilitate returns. Staff in the store will assist customers who haven't used the Scan & Go app.

The Scan & Go technology was also tested at Walmart, but the company decided not to move forward with it. It resonated with Sam's Club shoppers, Iannone said. More than 90 percent of members who try Scan & Go use it again, he said, and regular use is up 40 percent.

Furner said Lower Greenville residents will be invited to preview the store before it opens. Sam's officials declined to give a definite opening date, saying only it would be "in a couple of weeks."

The front of the store where checkout lanes would normally be located will have refrigerated cases with fresh grab-and-go meals. The meal sizes will be smaller than what is available in a full-size Sam's Club, which is four times as big as the 32,000-square-foot Sam's Club Now. Other packages also will be smaller.

The store will still have the main categories of fresh produce and meat, beer and wine, frozen and refrigerated foods, health and beauty and other consumables.

Dallas was chosen "because it's one of the best cities for tech talent," Furner said. Sam's Club also has been in the North Texas market for a long time and it's an easy trip from Bentonville, where the retailer in headquartered, he added.

Sam's Club Now is in a retail building with a history. Before it was a Walmart Neighborhood Market, it had housed, side-by-side, a Whole Foods Market and a Blockbuster Video.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 29 Oct 2018 11:15

This sounds promising. Ever since I heard about the Amazon store, I've been waiting to see something similar come to DFW.

So is this Sam's Club the same idea? That you just walk out with your items, and it will charge you automatically? It's a little unclear as to how this one works. I've used their scan and go app before, and it's wonderful, but I'm wondering if this store will simply just require you to use the scan and go app, or maybe take it a step further and replicate what Amazon is doing with their store.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Oct 2018 15:16

Albertsons and Tom Thumb are each closing two unprofitable stores in Dallas-Fort Worth

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... fort-worth