North Dallas: Galleria

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 3048
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Jun 2021 21:36

I would say the collapse of traditional shopping is a pretty good slow down reason for starting new construction. Many malls are behind on payments and dropping tenants as retailers try to readjust and survive. Galleria's owners probably had to wait to see how all this ends and what retail looks like after. Many traditional malls will probably finally kick the bucket this year and many will change hands as new owners try to redevelop them into hybrids like the Galleria but on smaller scale. Town East who has over 90% occupancy is still negotiating an extension on its loans cause 90% tenants not being open affected their rent for the last year.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 15 Jun 2021 08:19

acclar11 wrote:
Tucy wrote:I seem to remember there was once a Coach store in the Galleria. Does anyone know when it closed? (Or can anyone either confirm or refute my memory?)

They closed sometime during 2017.


That's interesting if true, because the 2017 closure was around the same time the store at Legacy West opened.

Fortunately, the other luxury stores (Louis Vuitton, Tiffany, Gucci, etc.) are owned by different companies. But it would be a huge blow if their Galleria locations closed too now that the locations at Legacy West are essentially open.

User avatar
acclar11
Posts: 90
Joined: 28 Apr 2020 10:17

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby acclar11 » 15 Jun 2021 09:36

Addison wrote:
acclar11 wrote:
Tucy wrote:I seem to remember there was once a Coach store in the Galleria. Does anyone know when it closed? (Or can anyone either confirm or refute my memory?)

They closed sometime during 2017.


That's interesting if true, because the 2017 closure was around the same time the store at Legacy West opened.

Fortunately, the other luxury stores (Louis Vuitton, Tiffany, Gucci, etc.) are owned by different companies. But it would be a huge blow if their Galleria locations closed too now that the locations at Legacy West are essentially open.

Who are LV and Gucci owned by at Galleria vs Legacy West

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 15 Jun 2021 09:56

acclar11 wrote:
Addison wrote:
acclar11 wrote:They closed sometime during 2017.


That's interesting if true, because the 2017 closure was around the same time the store at Legacy West opened.

Fortunately, the other luxury stores (Louis Vuitton, Tiffany, Gucci, etc.) are owned by different companies. But it would be a huge blow if their Galleria locations closed too now that the locations at Legacy West are essentially open.

Who are LV and Gucci owned by at Galleria vs Legacy West


I meant the other brands have separate owners from Coach.

Coach is owned by Tapestry, Gucci is by Kering, and Louis Vuitton / Tiffany are both owned by LVMH.

User avatar
Austin55
Posts: 70
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 00:02
Contact:

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Austin55 » 24 Jun 2021 23:52

Is this project being discussed somewhere?

https://gff.com/view/north-dallas-office-tower/

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 2123
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby tamtagon » 25 Jun 2021 06:07

^I don't recall reading a discussion about that one. Sure would like to see galleria-midtown take on a downtown ambiance.

And, congratulations, Austin55.

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 25 Jun 2021 08:26

Austin55 wrote:Is this project being discussed somewhere?

https://gff.com/view/north-dallas-office-tower/


How realistic is that project?

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1258
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 25 Jun 2021 09:13

Addison wrote:
Austin55 wrote:Is this project being discussed somewhere?

https://gff.com/view/north-dallas-office-tower/


How realistic is that project?


In most cases, when the first we hear/see of a project is on an architect's website, it's not happening.

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 25 Jun 2021 09:56

Tucy wrote:
Addison wrote:
Austin55 wrote:Is this project being discussed somewhere?

https://gff.com/view/north-dallas-office-tower/


How realistic is that project?


In most cases, when the first we hear/see of a project is on an architect's website, it's not happening.


That was what I suspected.

It's a nice rendering, but I couldnt find any leasing information, rezoning requests or permits for it. And if Midtown can't even get off the ground, I see no reason why this tower will gain traction any time soon. Besides, just up the road, Addison has a RFP out for an additional 4 million sq. ft. of office space by the Silver Line station.

It would just be a shit ton of new office space, especially when considering the competition this submarket is facing with Legacy West & now Monarch City to the north.

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 25 Jun 2021 17:45

FWIW, a listing dated 6/18 was published on Dodge Data & Analytics that shows the Galleria renovations are now in the early design phase.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1258
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 24 Jul 2021 11:25

From DMN: Galleria Dallas, which boasts the market’s only American Girl store, has been recruiting small independent retailers and is adding five new stores, including four women-owned small businesses that are opening their first or second locations.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... ia-dallas/

Mosaic Makers Collective
Eye Candy Couture
ZAGG Store (moving from kiosk to store)
Mallow Box (ice rink level)
Eloteca (ice rink level)

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 24 Jul 2021 13:20

Tucy wrote:From DMN: Galleria Dallas, which boasts the market’s only American Girl store, has been recruiting small independent retailers and is adding five new stores, including four women-owned small businesses that are opening their first or second locations.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... ia-dallas/

Mosaic Makers Collective
Eye Candy Couture
ZAGG Store (moving from kiosk to store)
Mallow Box (ice rink level)
Eloteca (ice rink level)


I have mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, it's great that these small independent business owners are receiving the break they need to open their first & second stores.

On the other hand, it's not a very good sign about the long-term health of a mall when it seemingly can no longer attract the big name corporate stores to fill their retail space and resort to filling it with no-name mom & pop establishments.

User avatar
Proquest20
Posts: 151
Joined: 30 Jan 2020 23:18

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Proquest20 » 25 Jul 2021 16:14

From my understanding, there are still big name stores, like Lovisa, that have opened in the Galleria recently. While it may have been two years ago, attracting Apple was also a great feat, as they easily could’ve gone somewhere downtown or even in a different suburb. Also, the “small businesses” opening aren’t exactly as bad as you say, considering one of them is in the Houston Galleria, which constantly attracts tenants even NorthPark can’t attract, and another one is in the Bishop Arts District and already has a strong local clientele, and may be trying to reach a broader audience by opening in the Galleria, where they may encounter more tourists. I believe we’ll see more large chains coming in soon, however, they probably won’t be very upscale (whereas NorthPark attracted a Burberry Children’s boutique, a high-end dress store called Camila, and others, to name a few)

On the other hand, in a place like Willow Bend where they have stores like Bathlicious, K&A Treasures, and some random Star Wars shop in an old Banana Republic, I can see why it would be an issue. That mall is in dire need of being torn down, and those stores are opening there because they don’t give two damns about who leases space there anymore.

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 25 Jul 2021 23:59

FWIW, it seems Pottery Barn's lease just ran out. They relocated "nearby" to Preston and Park in Plano, according to the DMN article earlier.

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 26 Jul 2021 00:07

Proquest20 wrote:From my understanding, there are still big name stores, like Lovisa, that have opened in the Galleria recently. While it may have been two years ago, attracting Apple was also a great feat, as they easily could’ve gone somewhere downtown or even in a different suburb. Also, the “small businesses” opening aren’t exactly as bad as you say, considering one of them is in the Houston Galleria, which constantly attracts tenants even NorthPark can’t attract, and another one is in the Bishop Arts District and already has a strong local clientele, and may be trying to reach a broader audience by opening in the Galleria, where they may encounter more tourists. I believe we’ll see more large chains coming in soon, however, they probably won’t be very upscale (whereas NorthPark attracted a Burberry Children’s boutique, a high-end dress store called Camila, and others, to name a few)

On the other hand, in a place like Willow Bend where they have stores like Bathlicious, K&A Treasures, and some random Star Wars shop in an old Banana Republic, I can see why it would be an issue. That mall is in dire need of being torn down, and those stores are opening there because they don’t give two damns about who leases space there anymore.


Apple was kind of dumb luck for the Galleria, as they were forced to close/consolidate all of their Collin County stores due to the IP lawsuits in Texas' eastern district court plus they already have downtown area and NorthPark stores. There was literally no other ideal place for them to go in order to serve the West Plano / Frisco crowd.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1258
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 26 Jul 2021 11:34

Proquest20 wrote:From my understanding, there are still big name stores, like Lovisa, that have opened in the Galleria recently. While it may have been two years ago, attracting Apple was also a great feat, as they easily could’ve gone somewhere downtown or even in a different suburb. Also, the “small businesses” opening aren’t exactly as bad as you say, considering one of them is in the Houston Galleria, which constantly attracts tenants even NorthPark can’t attract, and another one is in the Bishop Arts District and already has a strong local clientele, and may be trying to reach a broader audience by opening in the Galleria, where they may encounter more tourists. I believe we’ll see more large chains coming in soon, however, they probably won’t be very upscale (whereas NorthPark attracted a Burberry Children’s boutique, a high-end dress store called Camila, and others, to name a few)

On the other hand, in a place like Willow Bend where they have stores like Bathlicious, K&A Treasures, and some random Star Wars shop in an old Banana Republic, I can see why it would be an issue. That mall is in dire need of being torn down, and those stores are opening there because they don’t give two damns about who leases space there anymore.


You make some good points for the thesis that the Galleria is not on as steep of a downward trajectory as Willow Bend, but it nevertheless seems like a downward trajectory (and Lovisa being the example of a "big-name" store, rather confirms that).

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 3048
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Jul 2021 11:44

Malls themselves are on a downward trend lets settle on that and each one in DFW is fighting its own battle to stay relevant. NorthPark appears to be winning in more ways than most but that doesn't mean they are guaranteed safety unless they evolve and change. The Galleria isn't NorthPark and they know that and will do their best to change with the marketing of consumer goods.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 26 Jul 2021 12:27

Tucy wrote:
Proquest20 wrote:From my understanding, there are still big name stores, like Lovisa, that have opened in the Galleria recently. While it may have been two years ago, attracting Apple was also a great feat, as they easily could’ve gone somewhere downtown or even in a different suburb. Also, the “small businesses” opening aren’t exactly as bad as you say, considering one of them is in the Houston Galleria, which constantly attracts tenants even NorthPark can’t attract, and another one is in the Bishop Arts District and already has a strong local clientele, and may be trying to reach a broader audience by opening in the Galleria, where they may encounter more tourists. I believe we’ll see more large chains coming in soon, however, they probably won’t be very upscale (whereas NorthPark attracted a Burberry Children’s boutique, a high-end dress store called Camila, and others, to name a few)

On the other hand, in a place like Willow Bend where they have stores like Bathlicious, K&A Treasures, and some random Star Wars shop in an old Banana Republic, I can see why it would be an issue. That mall is in dire need of being torn down, and those stores are opening there because they don’t give two damns about who leases space there anymore.


You make some good points for the thesis that the Galleria is not on as steep of a downward trajectory as Willow Bend, but it nevertheless seems like a downward trajectory (and Lovisa being the example of a "big-name" store, rather confirms that).


Before Lovisa and Apple, their last "big name catch" might have been Wrangler, which has since closed and departed.

User avatar
Proquest20
Posts: 151
Joined: 30 Jan 2020 23:18

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Proquest20 » 26 Jul 2021 14:35

Morphe, too, as they opened the Galleria store prior to opening the NorthPark store shortly after. And with that second location, it becomes less of something making the Galleria unique. It’s nice that they got it first, but if they really want to bounce back they need to do that more often, even if the stores cater to a more mid-range crowd — I think the hotel and the office tower are what keep the Galleria from becoming like Willow Bend or Irving Mall, along with the fact that it almost always has a strong holiday-season crowd.

User avatar
R1070
Posts: 1404
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 21:00

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby R1070 » 26 Jul 2021 15:14

Wrangler moved to the FW Stockyards.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1258
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 26 Jul 2021 15:16

We shall see . . . but it's not a good sign when the mall management puts out ridiculous statements like they did when Belk's departure was announced and their plans to down-size, to-wit: "it was a mutual decision to make way for new plans in the works" and "“We think there’s too much square footage devoted to fashion and apparel today, and reducing that space is a significant part of our plan."

The only shopping centers planning to reduce space devoted to fashion and apparel are shopping centers who can't find enough fashion and apparel merchants to lease their space.

User avatar
exelone31
Posts: 689
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 11:35

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby exelone31 » 26 Jul 2021 15:22

Proquest20 wrote:I think the hotel and the office tower are what keep the Galleria from becoming like Willow Bend or Irving Mall, along with the fact that it almost always has a strong holiday-season crowd.


Totally agree. The Galleria seems to be the go-to mall for tourists as well, whether that's because of the proximity to the hotel, ice rink, or some other factor(s). I work in the Galleria towers and always see fans of various sports teams when there is a major event in town (College Football, Cowboys games, etc).

User avatar
rono3849
Posts: 410
Joined: 16 May 2019 23:46
Location: Dallas

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby rono3849 » 26 Jul 2021 18:12

exelone31 wrote:
Proquest20 wrote:I think the hotel and the office tower are what keep the Galleria from becoming like Willow Bend or Irving Mall, along with the fact that it almost always has a strong holiday-season crowd.


Totally agree. The Galleria seems to be the go-to mall for tourists as well, whether that's because of the proximity to the hotel, ice rink, or some other factor(s). I work in the Galleria towers and always see fans of various sports teams when there is a major event in town (College Football, Cowboys games, etc).


I think Nordstrom's presence in the Galleria helps a lot. It really draws a lot of people to the mall.

User avatar
Proquest20
Posts: 151
Joined: 30 Jan 2020 23:18

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Proquest20 » 26 Jul 2021 22:34

Tucy wrote:We shall see . . . but it's not a good sign when the mall management puts out ridiculous statements like they did when Belk's departure was announced and their plans to down-size, to-wit: "it was a mutual decision to make way for new plans in the works" and "“We think there’s too much square footage devoted to fashion and apparel today, and reducing that space is a significant part of our plan."

The only shopping centers planning to reduce space devoted to fashion and apparel are shopping centers who can't find enough fashion and apparel merchants to lease their space.



EXACTLY. I could understand other spaces, like the old Pottery Barn, being turned into other uses in the future (like maybe an arcade? something similar to what stonebriar/grapevine mills have, idk what else would fit there…) but it’s practically unheard of. And if it was a mutual decision, I would’ve expected it to take place way later, considering redevelopment plans are still in very early phases. I did notice, however, that most of the area surrounding Belk is dead on all three levels, with stores like Vans moving across the hallway and J Crew and Talbots leaving entirely, but none of this would be necessary at this stage of the redevelopment. I’d, at the very least, expect more entertainment and food venues to be leased at this point on if the focus was to shift away from fashion, and I mean more than just a pop-up art instillation and local food businesses.

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 27 Jul 2021 02:02

It seems the mall changed management in 2018. It was a Simon property (who also manages Stonebriar) before being turned over to a local management company.

If you look at at their portfolio, they had virtually no prior experience managing a superregional shopping mall like Galleria.

It has also been since the management change that stores like Belk, Wrangler, Unode50, J. Crew, Pottery Barn, Talbots, etc. all left and that part of the mall became a dead zone. Pottery Barn ans Talbots actually both relocated to Preston & Park in Plano while Unode50 is going to NorthPark.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 2123
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby tamtagon » 27 Jul 2021 05:54

Do any of the other malls have three/four story open area like the Galleria? That's part of why the place is popular, it's fun to be in a space like that. NorthPark is more than impressive with the art, but you cant look out over a big space, four stories tall full of shoppers.

User avatar
Proquest20
Posts: 151
Joined: 30 Jan 2020 23:18

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Proquest20 » 27 Jul 2021 14:41

Addison wrote:It seems the mall changed management in 2018. It was a Simon property (who also manages Stonebriar) before being turned over to a local management company.

If you look at at their portfolio, they had virtually no prior experience managing a superregional shopping mall like Galleria.

It has also been since the management change that stores like Belk, Wrangler, Unode50, J. Crew, Pottery Barn, Talbots, etc. all left and that part of the mall became a dead zone. Pottery Barn ans Talbots actually both relocated to Preston & Park in Plano while Unode50 is going to NorthPark.


Simon doesn’t manage Stonebriar — Brookfield does, but Simon manages the Grapevine Mills, NorthEast Mall in Hurst, along with Allen/Grand Prairie Premium Outlets. Most notably, they also manage The Shops at Clearfork, and the Houston Galleria.

The exact thing happened to Willow Bend. After being turned over by Starwood to a different management, Hollister, Banana Republic, Louis Vuitton, among many others, all left. At least Trademark has *some* experience managing smaller centers, like Watters Creek and La Palmera in Corpus Christi, but the Galleria Dallas is likely the first major mall they’re managing.

User avatar
Proquest20
Posts: 151
Joined: 30 Jan 2020 23:18

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Proquest20 » 27 Jul 2021 14:54

tamtagon wrote:Do any of the other malls have three/four story open area like the Galleria? That's part of why the place is popular, it's fun to be in a space like that. NorthPark is more than impressive with the art, but you cant look out over a big space, four stories tall full of shoppers.

To answer your question — I do know that the food court at Town East is the third floor open area that overlooks the rest of the mall. The AMC Theatre lobby at Stonebriar also overlooks the main court of the mall. I will say, however, that the architecture at the Galleria is spot on, and makes it a great spot to do some shopping, whereas those centres that I named feel dated, almost as if walking into an oversized Walmart.

User avatar
Cbdallas
Posts: 590
Joined: 29 Nov 2016 16:42

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Cbdallas » 05 Aug 2021 13:38

Build residential towers into this development.

User avatar
Cbdallas
Posts: 590
Joined: 29 Nov 2016 16:42

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Cbdallas » 06 Aug 2021 09:58

This is an interesting article on how to repurpose underutilized malls.

https://www.metropolismag.com/architect ... dlr-group/

itsjrd1964
Posts: 1008
Joined: 28 Jul 2018 07:38

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby itsjrd1964 » 15 Nov 2021 12:35

Dallas Galleria office owners eye new tower plan

They are looking into the corner of Alpha/Noel.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ower-plan/

User avatar
rono3849
Posts: 410
Joined: 16 May 2019 23:46
Location: Dallas

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby rono3849 » 15 Nov 2021 14:20

Cbdallas wrote:This is an interesting article on how to repurpose underutilized malls.

https://www.metropolismag.com/architect ... dlr-group/


The proposed additions & changes to the Galleria will repurpose the mall in a similar fashion. I expect Willowbend to fold and both Neiman's & Dillard's will be looking for new locations in the area. I could easily see at least one of those stores landing at the Galleria. I believe another hotel and possibly a condo tower are in the proposed changes as well. With another office tower in the mix, I'd think a condo or apartment tower would be a cinch to be added, which brings only more people to the mall.

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 15 Nov 2021 14:44

rono3849 wrote:
Cbdallas wrote:This is an interesting article on how to repurpose underutilized malls.

https://www.metropolismag.com/architect ... dlr-group/


The proposed additions & changes to the Galleria will repurpose the mall in a similar fashion. I expect Willowbend to fold and both Neiman's & Dillard's will be looking for new locations in the area. I could easily see at least one of those stores landing at the Galleria. I believe another hotel and possibly a condo tower are in the proposed changes as well. With another office tower in the mix, I'd think a condo or apartment tower would be a cinch to be added, which brings only more people to the mall.


Not sure about Dillard's and Neiman's.

Part of the issue is that Galleria's too close to NorthPark, with there almost certainly being an overlap in trade area.

More than likely, the Galleria will go down to 2 anchors max (unless Saks returns or Von Maur expands to DFW), Neiman's will move to either Stonebriar or Legacy West, and the Dillard's at Stonebriar will become the only one along the Tollway corridor.

Nordstrom's at the Galleria despite being close to NorthPark works because it's the only 1 of 3 in the entire Metroplex (likely a destination for folks on the Fort Worth side). Macy's works because it caters to a more lower middle class customer base (higher volume).

Although, another possibility I could see is both Macy's and Dillard's abandoning NorthPark for the Galleria with Saks and Bloomingdales taking over their NorthPark spaces.

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 15 Nov 2021 15:02

I still have issues with calling the Galleria "underperforming" though.

It's the 2nd highest grossing mall in the Metroplex and I'm sure in the top 25th percentile of malls in the country in terms of sales, traffic and store selection. And aside from the old Saks wing, it's near full occupancy.

If it can somehow land another upmarket or luxury department store anchor, there might not be any need to repurpose it.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 3048
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Nov 2021 08:38

I think it honestly comes down to there are two types of Mall shoppers in Dallas. Those that go to NorthPark and those that prefer to go to the Galleria. In that case I am a NorthPark person and in my mind the Galleria barely exists. Plenty people when they think they need to go to the Mall go to the Galleria but I just don't associate with those people. ;)
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1258
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 16 Nov 2021 10:39

Agree with Addison. If Neiman's leaves Willow Bend, they are more likely to move north (assuming they move and don't just close the store and reduce their store count).

And Dillard's is even more likely to just reduce their store count.

User avatar
acclar11
Posts: 90
Joined: 28 Apr 2020 10:17

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby acclar11 » 16 Nov 2021 11:16

Addison wrote:I still have issues with calling the Galleria "underperforming" though.

It's the 2nd highest grossing mall in the Metroplex and I'm sure in the top 25th percentile of malls in the country in terms of sales, traffic and store selection. And aside from the old Saks wing, it's near full occupancy.

If it can somehow land another upmarket or luxury department store anchor, there might not be any need to repurpose it.

I consider GD to be somewhat struggling, but only because all the high end stores are closing left and right. Ann Taylor, Uno De 50, Tous, Talbots, J. Crew, Marmi, Tesla, and even Coach couldn't make it. Gucci, Tiffany & LV probably won't be around much longer. I'm still confused as to how Club Monaco, Brahmin, Martin Lawrence, and Lucky Brand are still open, because I've never seen a single person in any of those stores

User avatar
acclar11
Posts: 90
Joined: 28 Apr 2020 10:17

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby acclar11 » 16 Nov 2021 11:19

I forgot to add that I'm not surprised that Belk didn't last. The store was strange and I feel like they tried too hard to fit in at the Galleria. They should have gotten Bloomingdale's or Von Maur to open.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1258
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 16 Nov 2021 12:29

Addison wrote:I still have issues with calling the Galleria "underperforming" though.

It's the 2nd highest grossing mall in the Metroplex and I'm sure in the top 25th percentile of malls in the country in terms of sales, traffic and store selection. And aside from the old Saks wing, it's near full occupancy.


Can you share the source for the information that the Galleria is the 2nd highest grossing mall in the Metroplex? I'd be surprised if it's still above Stonebriar. Stonebriar is bigger, has the same two anchors, plus two (three if you count Dick's), and most of the same non-anchor stores (plus a bunch that are not in Galleria Dallas).
Last edited by Tucy on 16 Nov 2021 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1258
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 16 Nov 2021 12:36

Addison wrote:If it can somehow land another upmarket or luxury department store anchor, there might not be any need to repurpose it.


But don't you remember... Belk left by mutual agreement and the Galleria is not looking to replace them. They want less space devoted to retail; All that retail space was just getting in the way of their plans. ;-)
Last edited by Tucy on 16 Nov 2021 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 3048
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Nov 2021 14:08

Well according to the mall plans they are planning on reducing space down but until that plan starts, if it ever does, then until then its 1980's mall life for Galleria.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 16 Nov 2021 16:01

Tucy wrote:
Addison wrote:I still have issues with calling the Galleria "underperforming" though.

It's the 2nd highest grossing mall in the Metroplex and I'm sure in the top 25th percentile of malls in the country in terms of sales, traffic and store selection. And aside from the old Saks wing, it's near full occupancy.


Can you share the source for the information that the Galleria is the 2nd highest grossing mall in the Metroplex? I'd be surprised if it's still above Stonebriar. Stonebriar is bigger, has the same two anchors, plus two (three if you count Dick's), and most of the same non-anchor stores (plus a bunch that are not in Galleria Dallas).


I'll level with you, I don't have a source for my claim.

That being said, while Stonebriar Centre does have more overall retail space (in part because of the decent-sized Sears and JC Penney stores), Galleria has more total stores, considerably more higher-end boutiques and more tourist/office worker traffic.

I'd be surprised if Stonebriar is higher. Although in combination with Legacy West, I can definitely see the DNT & SRT interchange as a whole outperforming the Galleria.

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 16 Nov 2021 16:35

Tucy wrote:
Addison wrote:If it can somehow land another upmarket or luxury department store anchor, there might not be any need to repurpose it.


But don't you remember... Belk left by mutual agreement and the Galleria is not looking to replace them. They want less space devoted to retail; All that retail space was just getting in the way of their plans. ;-)


Yeah, I doubt there even trying to put forth a serious effort to attract/keep big name or higher-end retailers.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1258
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 16 Nov 2021 17:18

Addison wrote:
Tucy wrote:
Addison wrote:I still have issues with calling the Galleria "underperforming" though.

It's the 2nd highest grossing mall in the Metroplex and I'm sure in the top 25th percentile of malls in the country in terms of sales, traffic and store selection. And aside from the old Saks wing, it's near full occupancy.


Can you share the source for the information that the Galleria is the 2nd highest grossing mall in the Metroplex? I'd be surprised if it's still above Stonebriar. Stonebriar is bigger, has the same two anchors, plus two (three if you count Dick's), and most of the same non-anchor stores (plus a bunch that are not in Galleria Dallas).


I'll level with you, I don't have a source for my claim.

That being said, while Stonebriar Centre does have more overall retail space (in part because of the decent-sized Sears and JC Penney stores), Galleria has more total stores, considerably more higher-end boutiques and more tourist/office worker traffic.

I'd be surprised if Stonebriar is higher. Although in combination with Legacy West, I can definitely see the DNT & SRT interchange as a whole outperforming the Galleria.


Actually, Stonebriar has more stores than Galleria Dallas, and by a pretty wide margin.

Of course "considerably more" is very subjective, but if Galleria Dallas has more, it's not by the margin you seem to be imagining and the significance is de minimis. As has been noted by others, the higher-end boutiques have been leaving the Galleria for a while...
They still have Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Tiffany until their leases run out and... what else? Stonebriar has Tiffany and Coach. . .

Oh, and the mall sizes are typically stated in Gross Leasable Area. That does not typically include the department stores, because they are typically separately owned. So, because of its number of department stores, Stonebriar's size margin over the Galleria's is even greater.

User avatar
rono3849
Posts: 410
Joined: 16 May 2019 23:46
Location: Dallas

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby rono3849 » 16 Nov 2021 17:31

galleria.tower.north.jpg


galleria.north.tower.jpg


I think these are renderings of a proposed 20-story tower called Galleria North on that same plot. It looks pretty spectacular.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 16 Nov 2021 18:25

:shock:
Tucy wrote:
Addison wrote:
Tucy wrote:
Can you share the source for the information that the Galleria is the 2nd highest grossing mall in the Metroplex? I'd be surprised if it's still above Stonebriar. Stonebriar is bigger, has the same two anchors, plus two (three if you count Dick's), and most of the same non-anchor stores (plus a bunch that are not in Galleria Dallas).


I'll level with you, I don't have a source for my claim.

That being said, while Stonebriar Centre does have more overall retail space (in part because of the decent-sized Sears and JC Penney stores), Galleria has more total stores, considerably more higher-end boutiques and more tourist/office worker traffic.

I'd be surprised if Stonebriar is higher. Although in combination with Legacy West, I can definitely see the DNT & SRT interchange as a whole outperforming the Galleria.


Actually, Stonebriar has more stores than Galleria Dallas, and by a pretty wide margin.

Of course "considerably more" is very subjective, but if Galleria Dallas has more, it's not by the margin you seem to be imagining and the significance is de minimis. As has been noted by others, the higher-end boutiques have been leaving the Galleria for a while...
They still have Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Tiffany until their leases run out and... what else? Stonebriar has Tiffany and Coach. . .

Oh, and the mall sizes are typically stated in Gross Leasable Area. That does not typically include the department stores, because they are typically separately owned. So, because of its number of department stores, Stonebriar's size margin over the Galleria's is even greater.


As far as store count, the number I found for Stonebriar was 184 and 200+ for the Galleria from a 2017 Simon brochure. Not sure how Simon came up with the number though and it may have changed since then.

Galleria still also has Tommy Bahama, Zara, Johnston & Murphy, Apple, Brahmin, Armani Exchange, American Girl, Swarovski and Lululemom.

User avatar
acclar11
Posts: 90
Joined: 28 Apr 2020 10:17

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby acclar11 » 16 Nov 2021 20:33

Tucy wrote:
Addison wrote:If it can somehow land another upmarket or luxury department store anchor, there might not be any need to repurpose it.


But don't you remember... Belk left by mutual agreement and the Galleria is not looking to replace them. They want less space devoted to retail; All that retail space was just getting in the way of their plans. ;-)

"Less Space Devoted To Retail" really means that they can't find any high quality tenants to open up, and they need to do something with all that vacant space.

Tnexster
Posts: 3222
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tnexster » 19 Nov 2021 13:42

I like this the new tower if that's what's being proposed. Nice departure from all the others at Galleria.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1258
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 30 Nov 2021 14:49

Addison wrote::shock:
Tucy wrote:
Addison wrote:
I'll level with you, I don't have a source for my claim.

That being said, while Stonebriar Centre does have more overall retail space (in part because of the decent-sized Sears and JC Penney stores), Galleria has more total stores, considerably more higher-end boutiques and more tourist/office worker traffic.

I'd be surprised if Stonebriar is higher. Although in combination with Legacy West, I can definitely see the DNT & SRT interchange as a whole outperforming the Galleria.


Actually, Stonebriar has more stores than Galleria Dallas, and by a pretty wide margin.

Of course "considerably more" is very subjective, but if Galleria Dallas has more, it's not by the margin you seem to be imagining and the significance is de minimis. As has been noted by others, the higher-end boutiques have been leaving the Galleria for a while...
They still have Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Tiffany until their leases run out and... what else? Stonebriar has Tiffany and Coach. . .

Oh, and the mall sizes are typically stated in Gross Leasable Area. That does not typically include the department stores, because they are typically separately owned. So, because of its number of department stores, Stonebriar's size margin over the Galleria's is even greater.


As far as store count, the number I found for Stonebriar was 184 and 200+ for the Galleria from a 2017 Simon brochure. Not sure how Simon came up with the number though and it may have changed since then.

Galleria still also has Tommy Bahama, Zara, Johnston & Murphy, Apple, Brahmin, Armani Exchange, American Girl, Swarovski and Lululemom.


I was going off what they currently have listed on their websites. The Galleria now has barely over 100.
As to your list of stores that the Galleria also has... I guess you and I define "higher-end boutiques" differently. ;-)

User avatar
acclar11
Posts: 90
Joined: 28 Apr 2020 10:17

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby acclar11 » 30 Nov 2021 20:54

Tucy wrote:
Addison wrote::shock:
Tucy wrote:
Actually, Stonebriar has more stores than Galleria Dallas, and by a pretty wide margin.

Of course "considerably more" is very subjective, but if Galleria Dallas has more, it's not by the margin you seem to be imagining and the significance is de minimis. As has been noted by others, the higher-end boutiques have been leaving the Galleria for a while...
They still have Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Tiffany until their leases run out and... what else? Stonebriar has Tiffany and Coach. . .

Oh, and the mall sizes are typically stated in Gross Leasable Area. That does not typically include the department stores, because they are typically separately owned. So, because of its number of department stores, Stonebriar's size margin over the Galleria's is even greater.


As far as store count, the number I found for Stonebriar was 184 and 200+ for the Galleria from a 2017 Simon brochure. Not sure how Simon came up with the number though and it may have changed since then.

Galleria still also has Tommy Bahama, Zara, Johnston & Murphy, Apple, Brahmin, Armani Exchange, American Girl, Swarovski and Lululemom.


I was going off what they currently have listed on their websites. The Galleria now has barely over 100.
As to your list of stores that the Galleria also has... I guess you and I define "higher-end boutiques" differently. ;-)


The only really "high end" stores still there are Tiffany, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, & Bachendorf's. Lululemon, Michael Kors, & Club Monaco are somewhat upscale, and stores like Apple, Banana Republic, Zara, or Tommy Bahama are nice, but they're pretty common in North American malls. Galleria needs to step it up if they want people to see them as a serious luxury mall. I know tons Dallas people who have lived here for years, and they think the Galleria is tacky in store selection, difficult to get to, and a nightmare to park in because it's all parking garages. I think their glory days are over, and now that Legacy West has their nicest stores, in addition to Tory Burch and Watches Of Switzerland, it's going to be hard to come back