North Dallas: Galleria

User avatar
I45Tex
Posts: 483
Joined: 26 Jan 2017 05:52

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby I45Tex » 13 Mar 2020 10:08

There are many blocks of Noel just inside LBJ that are a separate street with no real connection to the Galleria one. Likely the Noel we know between the Galleria and Verde Valley, which I would like to rename Quorum or Midtown, etc, could've been named Inwood (it's directly north of Inwood's right of way) if the DNT had not bloated beyond the original railroad right of way and made everything else jog left and right on either side of it.

Names and connections that treat this area as part of a larger neighborhood including Addison Circle are part of making it a place to live and not just to shop or commute.

User avatar
jsoto3
Posts: 85
Joined: 16 Jan 2017 22:59

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby jsoto3 » 05 Apr 2020 11:41

Urban Design Peer Review Panel presentation for the proposed redevelopment:
https://dallascityhall.com/departments/ ... mittal.pdf

User avatar
eburress
Posts: 972
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby eburress » 05 Apr 2020 14:51

I like a lot of the changes, and by the time they're done maybe we'll be in a better place economically.

User avatar
The_Overdog
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 14:55

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby The_Overdog » 07 Apr 2020 14:06

It strikes me as extremely convoluted, like they know what people want changed, but they don't get how to do it.

Like for example,
"• Weak pedstrian entry experience for customers" is identified from the three different sections, but there are no changes to the garage entries, which is how most are going to experience entry into the mall.

Also they identify the street across the west side as an 'urban street', but at least 1/3 is out of their control, is adjacent to the Westin's parking lots, and the area they do control is mostly just empty grass to the west of the front of the mall. They are creating useless 'green space' basically, which is honestly about the same as useless distant parking lots. The area around Banana Republic they are tearing down, to turn into a mini KWP is ok.

I have no idea what they are trying to represent with the interior pictures, beyond an upgrade, and that they are reducing/removing the ice rink.

User avatar
mhainli
Posts: 82
Joined: 02 Mar 2017 17:56

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby mhainli » 07 Apr 2020 21:07

I agree with The_Overdog on the lack of vision presented for the parking garages - both the entries from streets and connections to the mall. Most of the mall patrons will be parking in these same existing garages and may never see the extensive streetscape and landscape improvements on the west side (baking in the west sun I might add).

More thought and detail needs to be provided on the south end of the mall too. It’s unclear how patrons will get from the Blue Garage and into the mall. Hopefully it’s a seamless connection. And is the plan to buy and teardown only a portion of the Gap Inc building? Why not remove it all? I like the city’s Peer review comment on the developer’s “conceptual” plan suggesting consideration be given to removal of the Blue Garage with a more extensive redevelopment at that end. Something dramatic here that provides more open and visible site lines at the side facing I-635, and the thousands of cars a day going by, would be a great idea.

Some of the interior concepts shown in the power point are nice and I hope they can pull off activating the old University Club as a theater. However I haven’t seen the main weaknesses of the mall addressed so far. That is the “walled off by 80’s vintage parking garage” nature of it.

User avatar
derkcir
Posts: 15
Joined: 10 Jun 2019 11:44
Location: Dallas
Contact:

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby derkcir » 28 Jul 2020 21:56

Looks like the new Ablon at Galleria apartments/ mixed use development is almost done. Today I noticed that the strip center that sits in front of it is being torn down. This is the former site of The Container Store Store and Z gallery. Does anyone have any more information about what the plans are for that site?

User avatar
rono3849
Posts: 410
Joined: 16 May 2019 23:46
Location: Dallas

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby rono3849 » 29 Jul 2020 00:23

I'm hearing from patrons that the Galleria is in dire need of a high security presence & strong overview of keeping wandering gangs in the mall in check. If they don't watch out, they may share the same fate with Valley View Mall. That's what killed it. It became an undesirable destination & people did not feel safe going there.

User avatar
exelone31
Posts: 689
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 11:35

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby exelone31 » 29 Jul 2020 09:09

derkcir wrote:Looks like the new Ablon at Galleria apartments/ mixed use development is almost done. Today I noticed that the strip center that sits in front of it is being torn down. This is the former site of The Container Store Store and Z gallery. Does anyone have any more information about what the plans are for that site?


That makes sense, I figured that since the apartments were built so close to the strip center, there wasn't going to be a plan to keep the strip center around.

User avatar
derkcir
Posts: 15
Joined: 10 Jun 2019 11:44
Location: Dallas
Contact:

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby derkcir » 30 Jul 2020 21:29

That’s scary. Hopefully they can get it under control if that’s the case. I rarely go inside and walk around malls anymore. If I go to the galleria I might hit Nordstrom’s or Jcrew and maybe a couple others. Otherwise I don’t think I know what else is in the mall.

User avatar
derkcir
Posts: 15
Joined: 10 Jun 2019 11:44
Location: Dallas
Contact:

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby derkcir » 30 Jul 2020 21:30

I guess they’ll have a big parking lot where the former strip center is...

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 04 Feb 2021 09:27

Are there any updates on the planned Galleria renovations?

User avatar
Cbdallas
Posts: 588
Joined: 29 Nov 2016 16:42

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Cbdallas » 04 Feb 2021 15:23

So strange to be talking about all of these malls today and the collapse of retail. 30 years ago I would not have imagined that these type of places would fall apart and go empty. I realize that Galleria is not completely to that level but wow the pandemic greatly accelerated all of this across the nation.

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 04 Feb 2021 16:08

Cbdallas wrote:So strange to be talking about all of these malls today and the collapse of retail. 30 years ago I would not have imagined that these type of places would fall apart and go empty. I realize that Galleria is not completely to that level but wow the pandemic greatly accelerated all of this across the nation.


The Galleria is weird because if it were any other mall in the US, I would think only having 2 department store anchors would be a sign that the place is on its death bed (if I'm not mistaken, the Galleria had 4 department store at one point, 2 or 3 of which were upscale).

But it also has a unique set of stores/attractions (American Girl, Apple, Ice Rink, etc.) that manages to attract shoppers from all other the region despite this handicap.

That said, I'm still a bit worried about both the Macy's and Nordstrom. You have the stores at Northpark and the stores at Stonebriar (not to mention *another* Macy's at Willow Bend). I'm not certain the population density is high enough to support 3 or 4 of each store in a relatively small area, especially as the trends in favor of online shopping have accelerated since COVID.

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 04 Feb 2021 16:16

BTW, it seems at some point recently, the Pottery Barn quietly closed.

User avatar
scott2
Posts: 29
Joined: 01 Jun 2017 16:22

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby scott2 » 04 Feb 2021 16:37

I think the Galleria has survived better than most malls is because it is not just a suburban mall, but is a mixed use complex. Pre pandemic the attached office towers provided thousands of clients looking for lunch spots, hair salons, and shopped the stores because it was so convenient. The Westin Hotel also provided a built in client base for the same reason. If the proposed Condo tower ever gets built it will add to the number of people using the malls restaurants and shops.

I have always wondered why NorthPark keeps those two large surface level parking lots undeveloped as they seem such a great location for hotel/residential/office locations that would add to the number of potential mall users. A win-win situation.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1250
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 04 Feb 2021 17:40

Addison wrote:
Cbdallas wrote:So strange to be talking about all of these malls today and the collapse of retail. 30 years ago I would not have imagined that these type of places would fall apart and go empty. I realize that Galleria is not completely to that level but wow the pandemic greatly accelerated all of this across the nation.


The Galleria is weird because if it were any other mall in the US, I would think only having 2 department store anchors would be a sign that the place is on its death bed (if I'm not mistaken, the Galleria had 4 department store at one point, 2 or 3 of which were upscale).

But it also has a unique set of stores/attractions (American Girl, Apple, Ice Rink, etc.) that manages to attract shoppers from all other the region despite this handicap.

That said, I'm still a bit worried about both the Macy's and Nordstrom. You have the stores at Northpark and the stores at Stonebriar (not to mention *another* Macy's at Willow Bend). I'm not certain the population density is high enough to support 3 or 4 of each store in a relatively small area, especially as the trends in favor of online shopping have accelerated since COVID.


Agreed. I think it is well short of "death-bed" status, but I don't think all is well at the Galleria. (Their redevelopment plans suggests as much; shopping centers don't actively reduce retail space unless demand is weak.) As you mentioned, being down to two anchors (both of which have multiple other nearby locations), does not bode well. (FWIW, I'm pretty sure the Galleria has never had more than three department store anchors; they started with Sak's Fifth Avenue, Marshall Field, and Macy's. Sak's Fifth Avenue relocated to the Marhsall Field space, dropping them to two anchors; back up to three when Nordstrom opened; back to two when Sak's Fifth Avenue closed; back to three when Belk opened in the Marhsall Field/Sak's space; and now back to two again.)

Would not be surprising to see them lose the Nordstrom and I still would be surprised if Louis Vuitton and Tiffany don't pull out of the Galleria shortly after they open at Legacy West.

User avatar
rono3849
Posts: 410
Joined: 16 May 2019 23:46
Location: Dallas

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby rono3849 » 04 Feb 2021 18:12

The Nordstrom Galleria store is #2 in sales volume in their Dallas/Ft. Worth region. They just closed their North Fort Worth store, so I expect them to stay open at the Galleria. I'm actually surprised Dillard's hasn't taken over the old Marshall Field's spot. They used to be in the nearby Valley View Mall. I'd bet the leasing rates are very favorable right about now.

If the Galleria's planned changes actually happen, I expect it will survive. Willow Bend seems more at risk to me.

I keep hearing that Bloomingdale's is considering a return to Dallas & Saks Fifth Avenue is looking for another location. Free standing stores are the new direction for large department stores now.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1250
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 04 Feb 2021 18:21

rono3849 wrote:The Nordstrom Galleria store is #2 in sales volume in their Dallas/Ft. Worth region.

Source?
Last edited by Tucy on 04 Feb 2021 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1250
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 04 Feb 2021 18:22

rono3849 wrote:If the Galleria's planned changes actually happen, I expect it will survive. Willow Bend seems more at risk to me.


There's no doubt that Willow Bend is far more at risk than the Galleria. Willow Bend indeed seems to be at death's door, or at least walking up the sidewalk.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1250
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 04 Feb 2021 18:28

rono3849 wrote:I keep hearing that Bloomingdale's is considering a return to Dallas & Saks Fifth Avenue is looking for another location. Free standing stores are the new direction for large department stores now.


Of course you're hearing such things; this is Dallas. It's hard (impossible) for Dallas fashionistas and $30,000 Millionaires to accept that such stores have not succeeded in Dallas and are not eager to return. But neither is exactly in expansion mode, so . . .

User avatar
acclar11
Posts: 87
Joined: 28 Apr 2020 10:17

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby acclar11 » 04 Feb 2021 19:09

http://web.archive.org/web/200305011722 ... _plans.pdf

https://f.hubspotusercontent40.net/hubf ... Levels.pdf

Compare their 2003 lease plan to now. This mall could have been the premier center, but Dallas at the time couldn't sustain 4 luxury malls so close to one another (Willow Bend, HP Village, Northpark, Galleria).

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 2120
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby tamtagon » 04 Feb 2021 19:12

I know people in the Panhandle who talk about shopping trips to Dallas, Galleria is always mentioned. North Texas population is closing in on 8 million, but the trading area includes another 3+million... That probably helps The Galleria.

User avatar
acclar11
Posts: 87
Joined: 28 Apr 2020 10:17

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby acclar11 » 04 Feb 2021 19:25

tamtagon wrote:I know people in the Panhandle who talk about shopping trips to Dallas, Galleria is always mentioned. North Texas population is closing in on 8 million, but the trading area includes another 3+million... That probably helps The Galleria.

Same with people in other countries, I know a few out of country people, and they usually stay at the Westin there.

User avatar
Hannibal Lecter
Posts: 719
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 19:57

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 04 Feb 2021 21:35

I remember driving through West Texas in the 1980's and the radio station was running a big contest for a weekend in Dallas.

Q: Why do so many New Mexico high school football players got to Texas Tech?

A: They want to see live in the big city!

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 2120
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby tamtagon » 04 Feb 2021 22:22

Haha. True. When our family would drive into Amarillo, we all tried to be the first to see the bank, 374 feet tall, you could see it from 20 miles away!

User avatar
rono3849
Posts: 410
Joined: 16 May 2019 23:46
Location: Dallas

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby rono3849 » 04 Feb 2021 23:28

Tucy wrote:
rono3849 wrote:The Nordstrom Galleria store is #2 in sales volume in their Dallas/Ft. Worth region.

Source?


My source is people who work for Nordstrom. NorthPark has been the chain's #1 store in sales nationally for awhile. Although the Galleria store is #2 in sales regionally, it is decidedly behind NorthPark. The Galleria ranks substantially lower in sales within the overall chain nationally.

Marshall Field's did fairly well here, but when the chain was bought by Macy's and was absorbed, they closed the stores across the country where they competed directly with Macy's. I don't know why Saks Fifth Avenue failed in that store since they did fairly well in their original location in the Galleria. I do know that Saks has struggled as a chain nationally for awhile.

Belks was just a poor fit for the mall & had no following in Dallas.

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 05 Feb 2021 12:49

rono3849 wrote:
Tucy wrote:
rono3849 wrote:The Nordstrom Galleria store is #2 in sales volume in their Dallas/Ft. Worth region.

Source?


My source is people who work for Nordstrom. NorthPark has been the chain's #1 store in sales nationally for awhile. Although the Galleria store is #2 in sales regionally, it is decidedly behind NorthPark. The Galleria ranks substantially lower in sales within the overall chain nationally.

Marshall Field's did fairly well here, but when the chain was bought by Macy's and was absorbed, they closed the stores across the country where they competed directly with Macy's. I don't know why Saks Fifth Avenue failed in that store since they did fairly well in their original location in the Galleria. I do know that Saks has struggled as a chain nationally for awhile.

Belks was just a poor fit for the mall & had no following in Dallas.


Belk has 8 other locations around DFW, so I doubt it's about them not having much of a following.

It was just a bad fit for a mall like Galleria. It's supposed to be a mall catering to more upscale shoppers, while Belk caters to more "working class" shoppers. That's also why there isn't a JC Penney or Kohl's at the Galleria.

The space is meant for a store like Saks, Bloomingdales or even Von Maur.

I get what Belk was trying to do though. There have a huge void of locations in Northern Dallas County / Southern Collin County.

User avatar
acclar11
Posts: 87
Joined: 28 Apr 2020 10:17

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby acclar11 » 05 Feb 2021 13:21

Addison wrote:
rono3849 wrote:
Tucy wrote:Source?


My source is people who work for Nordstrom. NorthPark has been the chain's #1 store in sales nationally for awhile. Although the Galleria store is #2 in sales regionally, it is decidedly behind NorthPark. The Galleria ranks substantially lower in sales within the overall chain nationally.

Marshall Field's did fairly well here, but when the chain was bought by Macy's and was absorbed, they closed the stores across the country where they competed directly with Macy's. I don't know why Saks Fifth Avenue failed in that store since they did fairly well in their original location in the Galleria. I do know that Saks has struggled as a chain nationally for awhile.

Belks was just a poor fit for the mall & had no following in Dallas.


Belk has 8 other locations around DFW, so I doubt it's about them not having much of a following.

It was just a bad fit for a mall like Galleria. It's supposed to be a mall catering to more upscale shoppers, while Belk caters to more "working class" shoppers. That's also why there isn't a JC Penney or Kohl's at the Galleria.

The space is meant for a store like Saks, Bloomingdales or even Von Maur.

I get what Belk was trying to do though. There have a huge void of locations in Northern Dallas County / Southern Collin County.

Von Maur would be a great addition to the Galleria.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1250
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 05 Feb 2021 21:03

rono3849 wrote:
Tucy wrote:
rono3849 wrote:The Nordstrom Galleria store is #2 in sales volume in their Dallas/Ft. Worth region.

Source?


My source is people who work for Nordstrom. NorthPark has been the chain's #1 store in sales nationally for awhile. Although the Galleria store is #2 in sales regionally, it is decidedly behind NorthPark. The Galleria ranks substantially lower in sales within the overall chain nationally.



Again, a grain of salt is called for, if your source is people working in the Dallas Nordstrom locations. You might be surprised at how many local employees (especially in Dallas) of national chains come to the conclusion that the store they work in is the top store in the chain/among the top in the chain, etc. In reality, those numbers tend to be very closely guarded and not shared with sales floor employees.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1250
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 05 Feb 2021 21:06

rono3849 wrote:
Tucy wrote:
rono3849 wrote:The Nordstrom Galleria store is #2 in sales volume in their Dallas/Ft. Worth region.

Source?

Marshall Field's did fairly well here, but when the chain was bought by Macy's and was absorbed, they closed the stores across the country where they competed directly with Macy's. I don't know why Saks Fifth Avenue failed in that store since they did fairly well in their original location in the Galleria. I do know that Saks has struggled as a chain nationally for awhile.


Your history is wrong, again. Marshall Field closed their Dallas store long before they were acquired by the parent company of Macy's. As for Saks' struggles, name a department store that hasn't struggled nationally for awhile. Regardless of the national struggles, it's the poor-performing stores that get closed -- Galleria Dallas Marshall Field; Galleria Dallas Saks Fifth Avenue; Galleria Dallas Belk...
Last edited by Tucy on 05 Feb 2021 21:25, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1250
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 05 Feb 2021 21:09

Addison wrote:
rono3849 wrote:
Tucy wrote:Source?


My source is people who work for Nordstrom. NorthPark has been the chain's #1 store in sales nationally for awhile. Although the Galleria store is #2 in sales regionally, it is decidedly behind NorthPark. The Galleria ranks substantially lower in sales within the overall chain nationally.

Marshall Field's did fairly well here, but when the chain was bought by Macy's and was absorbed, they closed the stores across the country where they competed directly with Macy's. I don't know why Saks Fifth Avenue failed in that store since they did fairly well in their original location in the Galleria. I do know that Saks has struggled as a chain nationally for awhile.

Belks was just a poor fit for the mall & had no following in Dallas.


Belk has 8 other locations around DFW, so I doubt it's about them not having much of a following.

It was just a bad fit for a mall like Galleria. It's supposed to be a mall catering to more upscale shoppers, while Belk caters to more "working class" shoppers. That's also why there isn't a JC Penney or Kohl's at the Galleria.

The space is meant for a store like Saks, Bloomingdales or even Von Maur.

I get what Belk was trying to do though. There have a huge void of locations in Northern Dallas County / Southern Collin County.


Belk has a bit of a split personality, which no doubt made it difficult to succeed in the Galleria. Some of their stores are quite high-end, at least in Charlotte. At the same time, they have a lot of stores that are very much mid-range. Establishing themselves in North Texas with a batch of the mid-range stores and then bringing in one of their high-end locations at the Galleria... well, it's kind of hard to make sense of it.

User avatar
rono3849
Posts: 410
Joined: 16 May 2019 23:46
Location: Dallas

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby rono3849 » 05 Feb 2021 23:43

Tucy wrote:
rono3849 wrote:
Tucy wrote:Source?

Marshall Field's did fairly well here, but when the chain was bought by Macy's and was absorbed, they closed the stores across the country where they competed directly with Macy's. I don't know why Saks Fifth Avenue failed in that store since they did fairly well in their original location in the Galleria. I do know that Saks has struggled as a chain nationally for awhile.


Your history is wrong, again. Marshall Field closed their Dallas store long before they were acquired by the parent company of Macy's. As for Saks' struggles, name a department store that hasn't struggled nationally for awhile. Regardless of the national struggles, it's the poor-performing stores that get closed -- Galleria Dallas Marshall Field; Galleria Dallas Saks Fifth Avenue; Galleria Dallas Belk...


You are right. Marshall Field's, which had been purchased by Dayton Hudson, sold all of their Texas stores in 1996. They left both Dallas & Houston, which had two stores. Eventually, Dayton Hudson department stores were purchased by Macy's/Federated, when Dayton Hudson became Target Corporation. Saks moved into the Field's spot, then withered away. Belk's has a good reputation in North Carolina, but not so much in Texas. I did think my sources for the Nordstrom stores info was pretty reliable because they were in management in their marketing & advertising division, not people on the sales floor.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1250
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 06 Feb 2021 11:51

rono3849 wrote:
Tucy wrote:
rono3849 wrote:Marshall Field's did fairly well here, but when the chain was bought by Macy's and was absorbed, they closed the stores across the country where they competed directly with Macy's. I don't know why Saks Fifth Avenue failed in that store since they did fairly well in their original location in the Galleria. I do know that Saks has struggled as a chain nationally for awhile.


Your history is wrong, again. Marshall Field closed their Dallas store long before they were acquired by the parent company of Macy's. As for Saks' struggles, name a department store that hasn't struggled nationally for awhile. Regardless of the national struggles, it's the poor-performing stores that get closed -- Galleria Dallas Marshall Field; Galleria Dallas Saks Fifth Avenue; Galleria Dallas Belk...


You are right. Marshall Field's, which had been purchased by Dayton Hudson, sold all of their Texas stores in 1996. They left both Dallas & Houston, which had two stores. Eventually, Dayton Hudson department stores were purchased by Macy's/Federated, when Dayton Hudson became Target Corporation. Saks moved into the Field's spot, then withered away. Belk's has a good reputation in North Carolina, but not so much in Texas.


You're getting closer to an accurate history, but still not quite there.
Dayton Hudson renamed itself "Target Corporation" in 2001, well before they disposed of the Marshall Field operation (and they rebranded the former Dayton's and Hudson's department stores as Marshall Field stores).

Target Corp did not sell Marshall Field stores to Macy's; they sold them to May Company (in 2004). The following year, May Company, including Marshall Field, was purchased by the parent company of Macy's.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 2120
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby tamtagon » 06 Feb 2021 12:11

It does seem apparent enclosed shopping mall atrophy of legacy department stores will be allowed to to follow natural evolution.

Maybe these large department stores should be seen as an anomaly at an enclosed mall; "in nature" each department inside a Dillards, Belk, Marshall Fields, Joskes, Foleys, Sakowitz, Sears, Penny's, Nordstrom, Korshack, Neiman's will compete directly with any number of other stores inside the same mall. The department store is an enclosed mall within the mall, so it seems natural the symbiosis is dubious.

Stand alone Saks, Barneys, Neimans, Korshak, FourtyFive10, Penny's has a better chance as a stand alone shopping experience doubling as an online ordering warehouse. Just like Amazon is experimenting with unmanned Pick-up location, Penny needs to expand their stand alone retail stores with online ordering inventory capacity available for curbside pick or delivery or old-fashioned real-time browsing.

Dallas is becoming the melting pot of American retail, and the future of the enclosed shopping malls is likely to become a preserve of regional brands and evolving mom & pop shops.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1250
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 06 Feb 2021 12:45

rono3849 wrote:
Tucy wrote:
rono3849 wrote:Marshall Field's did fairly well here, but when the chain was bought by Macy's and was absorbed, they closed the stores across the country where they competed directly with Macy's. I don't know why Saks Fifth Avenue failed in that store since they did fairly well in their original location in the Galleria. I do know that Saks has struggled as a chain nationally for awhile.


Your history is wrong, again. Marshall Field closed their Dallas store long before they were acquired by the parent company of Macy's. As for Saks' struggles, name a department store that hasn't struggled nationally for awhile. Regardless of the national struggles, it's the poor-performing stores that get closed -- Galleria Dallas Marshall Field; Galleria Dallas Saks Fifth Avenue; Galleria Dallas Belk...

I did think my sources for the Nordstrom stores info was pretty reliable because they were in management in their marketing & advertising division, not people on the sales floor.


I remain highly skeptical that the Northpark store has higher sales than stores such as the Seattle flagship (almost twice the size of the Northpark store), and the NYC store (more than 50% larger).

User avatar
rono3849
Posts: 410
Joined: 16 May 2019 23:46
Location: Dallas

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby rono3849 » 06 Feb 2021 15:22

Tucy wrote:
rono3849 wrote:
Tucy wrote:
Your history is wrong, again. Marshall Field closed their Dallas store long before they were acquired by the parent company of Macy's. As for Saks' struggles, name a department store that hasn't struggled nationally for awhile. Regardless of the national struggles, it's the poor-performing stores that get closed -- Galleria Dallas Marshall Field; Galleria Dallas Saks Fifth Avenue; Galleria Dallas Belk...

I did think my sources for the Nordstrom stores info was pretty reliable because they were in management in their marketing & advertising division, not people on the sales floor.


I remain highly skeptical that the Northpark store has higher sales than stores such as the Seattle flagship (almost twice the size of the Northpark store), and the NYC store (more than 50% larger).


This was before they opened NYC store. The Downtown Seattle store has gone downhill like the Downtown Neiman's store has in Dallas. I figured the Nordstrom store in LA's Century City or Orange County's South Coast Plaza would be their #1 store for sales. Federated bought May Company and changed those stores' names to Macy's. Brands like Foley's, Filene's, Robinsons/May, & Marshall Field's disappeared across America. If you want to read something interesting, read about the legacy of the FRANGO mints, which were in Marshall Field's.

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 06 Feb 2021 19:21

rono3849 wrote:
Tucy wrote:
rono3849 wrote:I did think my sources for the Nordstrom stores info was pretty reliable because they were in management in their marketing & advertising division, not people on the sales floor.


I remain highly skeptical that the Northpark store has higher sales than stores such as the Seattle flagship (almost twice the size of the Northpark store), and the NYC store (more than 50% larger).


This was before they opened NYC store. The Downtown Seattle store has gone downhill like the Downtown Neiman's store has in Dallas. I figured the Nordstrom store in LA's Century City or Orange County's South Coast Plaza would be their #1 store for sales. Federated bought May Company and changed those stores' names to Macy's. Brands like Foley's, Filene's, Robinsons/May, & Marshall Field's disappeared across America. If you want to read something interesting, read about the legacy of the FRANGO mints, which were in Marshall Field's.


The store at South Coast *WAS* #1, until they opened a new location nearby.

Downtown Chicago's store then became #1.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retail-i ... no-longer/

This was over 10 yeas ago though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Tnexster
Posts: 3220
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tnexster » 07 Feb 2021 11:18

Once Macy's took over Marshall Fields I was pretty much done with department stores. There was nothing like the downtown Chicago Marshall Fields.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1250
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 07 Feb 2021 15:48

rono3849 wrote:
Tucy wrote:
rono3849 wrote:I did think my sources for the Nordstrom stores info was pretty reliable because they were in management in their marketing & advertising division, not people on the sales floor.


I remain highly skeptical that the Northpark store has higher sales than stores such as the Seattle flagship (almost twice the size of the Northpark store), and the NYC store (more than 50% larger).


This was before they opened NYC store. The Downtown Seattle store has gone downhill like the Downtown Neiman's store has in Dallas.


Did the Downtown Seattle store go downhill (like the Downtown Neiman's store in Dallas) before or after they spent many millions doing a complete remodel?

Sorry, not buying what you're selling. Downtown Seattle, Mag Mile Chicago, NYC, San Francisco are probably all ahead of the Northpark store.

Interesting that a few years ago Nordstrom said they intend to "have six total flagship stores including the three under renovation in Seattle, San Francisco and Chicago. Planned locations in Vancouver, British Columbia, Toronto and Manhattan will also be flagships."
https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/blo ... wanky.html

It is wildly unlikely that they would not include their number one store among their flagships.

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 07 Feb 2021 15:57

This is also more anecdotal evidence, but according to someone's LinkedIn page I ran across who worked at the Northpark Nordstrom in 2019, that location was #4 in sales.

User avatar
rono3849
Posts: 410
Joined: 16 May 2019 23:46
Location: Dallas

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby rono3849 » 07 Feb 2021 22:16

Honestly, I've never seen such BS. I just reported a statement about the Dallas NorthPark Nordstrom's sales by people I respected and the subsequent whining has been beyond ridiculous. So what? If the info wasn't 100% fact, then shame on me. My God, give it a rest. Maybe they'll close all Nordstrom stores in D/FW because they are failures. Would that make you happy? Move on. Get a life.

User avatar
vman
Posts: 228
Joined: 24 Oct 2016 07:44

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby vman » 08 Feb 2021 07:29

rono3849 wrote:Honestly, I've never seen such BS. I just reported a statement about the Dallas NorthPark Nordstrom's sales by people I respected and the subsequent whining has been beyond ridiculous. So what? If the info wasn't 100% fact, then shame on me. My God, give it a rest. Maybe they'll close all Nordstrom stores in D/FW because they are failures. Would that make you happy? Move on. Get a life.

Couldn't agree more...this need to be right and/or prove someone else wrong is pathetic and troll-ish.

User avatar
acclar11
Posts: 87
Joined: 28 Apr 2020 10:17

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby acclar11 » 10 Feb 2021 20:05

Uno De 50 (A Jewelry Store) closed their store recently :(

User avatar
utgf
Posts: 35
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 02:16
Location: San Francisco

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby utgf » 13 Feb 2021 02:27

vman wrote:Couldn't agree more...this need to be right and/or prove someone else wrong is pathetic and troll-ish.

I just saw it as people trying to set the facts straight. That should always be appreciated.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1250
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 05 Apr 2021 13:54

I seem to remember there was once a Coach store in the Galleria. Does anyone know when it closed? (Or can anyone either confirm or refute my memory?)

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 05 Apr 2021 14:01

Tucy wrote:I seem to remember there was once a Coach store in the Galleria. Does anyone know when it closed? (Or can anyone either confirm or refute my memory?)


Someone posted the leasing map from 2003 earlier, and yes, Coach was where the Michael Kors store is now.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1250
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Tucy » 14 Jun 2021 11:33

So... it's been almost 1 1/2 years since they announced grand plans to remake and revitalize the Galleria. Any news, rumors, speculation on when something may get started?

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Addison » 14 Jun 2021 13:52

Tucy wrote:So... it's been almost 1 1/2 years since they announced grand plans to remake and revitalize the Galleria. Any news, rumors, speculation on when something may get started?


No signs of construction when I was there yesterday.

User avatar
Warrior2020
Posts: 59
Joined: 28 Mar 2021 09:32

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby Warrior2020 » 14 Jun 2021 14:42

How is ablon muse doing?

User avatar
acclar11
Posts: 87
Joined: 28 Apr 2020 10:17

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby acclar11 » 14 Jun 2021 19:14

Tucy wrote:I seem to remember there was once a Coach store in the Galleria. Does anyone know when it closed? (Or can anyone either confirm or refute my memory?)

They closed sometime during 2017.