East Quarter: ~24 Building Redevelopment

Matt777

East Quarter: ~24 Building Redevelopment

Postby Matt777 » 25 Jan 2018 11:54

Sounds like a very promising redevelopment of around 24 buildings and the land around them. Will be done all at once instead of piecemeal. This purchase includes the Masonic Lodge, a very impressive building. I can't wait to see what the developer has in store for the underappreciated area!

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... r-upgrades

Last edited by cowboyeagle05 on 17 May 2018 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Name update

exelone31

Re: East Downtown Dallas Redevelopment ~24 buildings

Postby exelone31 » 25 Jan 2018 12:20

This is huge! I'm excited to see what kind of restaurant they've got in store for the old KLIF building. This will be a key connecting development between the Farmers Market and Main Street.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 25 Jan 2018 12:22

I love this, especially the part where they commit to saving all the structures and perhaps turning the Masonic Temple into a performance space. The restaurant by Nick Badovinus should be very popular. I'm not entirely sure they should rule out residential altogether though. 2200 Main St would make a great four levels of residential, for example.

With this big massing of land, it's only a matter of time before the big parking lots between Elm and Pacific change hands.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 25 Jan 2018 12:27

This will help tie together the massive energy and momentum happening in the central Downtown core and Deep Ellum.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 Jan 2018 12:39

Yeah, this area is a sort of swiss cheese. It has buildings being used but lots of separate parts not creating an altogether vibe. Many of the office spaces that exist on the ground floor do nothing for feeding energy into the area. They need to fill in some parking lots where they can maybe do some underground parking if possible and if needed and add street-level retail space and lease to the right tenants. The area is very walkable but you don't really want to cause besides looking at sleepy historic buildings it's a pass through.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Jan 2018 13:50

Awesome project! I love that they aren't trying to get overly ambitious and promising a cluster of new skyscrapers. This is a realistic project that will be a game changer for the area and will really help connect EMC to the Farmer's Market and potentially even Deep Ellum (although I still think I-345 creates somewhat of a barrier).

The fact that there is no residential is actually a pleasant surprise. There are plenty of residential projects already underway and there will no doubt be more in the near future as well. Perhaps once this project gets closer to completion, someone else can simply re-develop a nearby parking lot into more residential.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 25 Jan 2018 14:01

I think no residential is a bad idea. This is going to be another part of downtown people come to for work and then leave at 5:00pm. Any good that is done here is just going to pile on top of others' better, harder work.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 25 Jan 2018 14:54

The_Overdog wrote:I think no residential is a bad idea. This is going to be another part of downtown people come to for work and then leave at 5:00pm. Any good that is done here is just going to pile on top of others' better, harder work.

The way I interpreted it is that the existing buildings will all be converted to office space. This deal also includes a lot of undeveloped lot space. I could easily see the new buildings incorporating residential.

The quote from the article was "The buildings will be remodeled for office and retail space — no residential."

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 25 Jan 2018 23:32

I was worried about the "no residential" as well, but then I realized there's so much residential near Farmers Market. Also, they're trying to get this done in a year?

"The developers hope to kick off the project immediately and bring the buildings online before the end of this year."

muncien

Postby muncien » 26 Jan 2018 08:49

I wish they would work with INTOWN to fill in the smaller remaining lots with those 3.5 level townhomes. I love how those fit well into the density of this area, and create a great neighborhood feel right next to downtown. With the historic retail and office mixed throughout, it would work well.
InTown does offer their product as infill as well, so it wouldn't be that much of a change for them. Plus, it would be cool to expand this section of owner occupied units in downtown.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 26 Jan 2018 08:57

I would hope that there are better uses of downtown than townhomes. If not, that’s.. concerning. Don’t get me wrong, I like the townhomes at the farmers market, but the fact that they’re there is a sign of the weakness, not strength, of the area.

muncien

Postby muncien » 26 Jan 2018 09:15

tanzoak wrote:I would hope that there are better uses of downtown than townhomes. If not, that’s.. concerning. Don’t get me wrong, I like the townhomes at the farmers market, but the fact that they’re there is a sign of the weakness, not strength, of the area.

Well, not along Commerce, but more so for the block just south of Jackson. Something like the Canton Lofts would be optimal, but I worry any developer would take the easy route and just put 3/4 level stick built apartments there. I'd much prefer the town homes up that block than simple apartments.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 26 Jan 2018 09:35

mdg109 wrote:I was worried about the "no residential" as well, but then I realized there's so much residential near Farmers Market. Also, they're trying to get this done in a year?

"The developers hope to kick off the project immediately and bring the buildings online before the end of this year."

The wording is a little confusion. I'm seeing one year and five year being said in the article. My interpretation of it is that the existing buildings will be re-developed within a year. Then they mention new construction, so, possibly within the next five years we will see new construction fill the space as well:
The developers hope to kick off the project immediately and bring the buildings online before the end of this year.

Shawn Todd said with the land included in the deal there is the potential to more than double the space with new construction.

"We think this is a five-year project," Todd said. "If you told me you could buy 20-plus buildings with land downtown in a major metro city, I wouldn't have believed it.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 26 Jan 2018 10:27

The wording is a little confusion. I'm seeing one year and five year being said in the article. My interpretation of it is that the existing buildings will be re-developed within a year.

The buildings are 40% leased per the article. I'd assume the "one year" refers to updating and putting the available ones back on the market. The 5 years means in 5 years they expect to (approximately) run through tenants and update any space that comes available. Which is fine, but the time scale on offering up 24 commercial buildings vs building all new residential is very different, which will mean downtown is the same downtown it's always been for at least 5 more years. This isn't going to be a downtown neighborhood, it's going to be an office park.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Jan 2018 10:37

Well, they also seem to get that they need some street-level spaces reallocated to retail/restaurants rather than just offices. So I Imagine they plan on reorganizing some of the buildings around this as well in the first year. They have to determine if taking away ground floor space will make some of these buildings more desirable or less attractive to potential tenants. Plus they will wanna create a unified parking plan so they can organize which parking lots could be developed on soon and if they will need more spots for any reason.

I say buy a nearby larger parking lot, consolidate parking on that lot throw up a container box kolache/tacos restaurant on one corner of it. Then open your smaller lots in between buildings for new construction.

xen0blue

Postby xen0blue » 26 Jan 2018 12:27

I hope they are building things in addition to renovating what is existing....there are a lot of big ugly empty parking lots there

muncien

Postby muncien » 26 Jan 2018 12:31

No doubt... as much as we hate parking garages, they'll need one as a key component of this project if they are going office and retail, and we have any hope of eliminating these parking lots.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: East End: ~24 Building Redevelopment

Postby tamtagon » 27 Jan 2018 09:51

I would imagine after the existing buildings are revamped and on the way to filling up, we'll begin to have proposals for mid & highrise additions to top-off the area. Once the foundation has been repaired and back in use (existing buildings), building high and higher will be the only cost effective option for new buildings.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 27 Jan 2018 19:10

Lots of surface parking gaps need to be filled in before this area will really take off.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 30 Jan 2018 15:31

The project already in the works is a restaurant going into Magnolia building from restaurateur-chef Nick Badovinus, who says that the unique charm of the building itself was a primary factor in his signing on.

The concept is still in development, and the chef isn't ready to share. But that shouldn't stop one from speculating about its cuisine and name.

He's already done steak (Town Hearth), seafood (Montlake Cut), American (Neighborhood Services), burgers (Off-Site Kitchen), and pizza (Fireside Pies and the coming-soon Perfect Union).

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... -building/

Not much information here, but at the very least, we know this chef has a solid background and has plans for one of the restaurant spaces.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 16 May 2018 14:12

Tomorrow morning there will be a press conference to announce what, honestly, sounds like a cool deal. Todd Interests (Patrick and Philip Todd, the folks who redeveloped the old post office downtown) is going to reveal its plans for 18 buildings on the east side of downtown that it has acquired over the past two years. Along with Downtown Dallas Inc., Todd Interests will unveil the creation of what they are calling “a new district.”

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... wn-dallas/

Hopefully the name isn't too cheesy, but, regardless, I'm excited to see what becomes of this area.

EDIT: One interesting note is this new article mentions only 18 buildings, whereas the original article said 24.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 16 May 2018 20:20

Could it be that the other 6 are occupied with leases that don't expire yet? Or maybe D Mag (or Todd) miscounted?

Yes, please! The fewer cheesy names, the better. We've had more than enough of those around here.

Jay9398

Postby Jay9398 » 16 May 2018 20:32

jrd1964 wrote:Could it be that the other 6 are occupied with leases that don't expire yet? Or maybe D Mag (or Todd) miscounted?

Yes, please! The fewer cheesy names, the better. We've had more than enough of those around here.

There are supposed to be new infill buldings eventually as well. Maybe the 24 number includes those.

willyk

Postby willyk » 16 May 2018 22:37

Whatever they name it, we should stick with the East End and see whose name sticks!

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 17 May 2018 02:20

Why isn't this still considered Farmers Market?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 May 2018 08:25

Oh, I doubt Downtown Dallas Inc is changing their existing map but simply showing support for Todd Interests to market the area under a unified banner. It's not like the Farmers Market has some large org pushing its brand either like Uptown or the West End does. Downtown Dallas Inc at the end of the day is mostly a marketing org with some management authority over the resources of the downtown parks and the downtown cleanup brigade.

cowboyeagle05

Re: East Quarter: ~24 Building Redevelopment

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 May 2018 08:48

And they named it the East Quarter...

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2018/05/17/downtown-dallas-new-east-quarter-redevelopment-kicks-construction

..."For the 18 buildings we are preserving, we're creating an iconic representation of the properties," said developer Shawn Todd. "It's 15 acres plus a new park on property that's been repurposed."...

...Todd Interests plans to convert most of the old brick commercial buildings into a combination of office and retail space. The builder is looking at adding residential projects on some of the vacant lots included in the deal...

..."We've already got two leases and one of them is 30,000 square feet," Todd said. "We are overrun with people and we haven't even gone to market yet."

Todd said he has lined up a new lease with ecommerce firm OrderMyGear and has renewed a large office lease with marketing firm Tractorbeam...

..."All of this construction will be completed by the end of the year," Todd said. "We are putting a couple million dollars of improvements into the streetscape out of our pockets."...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 17 May 2018 09:00

cowboyeagle05 wrote:And they named it the East Quarter...

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2018/05/17/downtown-dallas-new-east-quarter-redevelopment-kicks-construction

..."For the 18 buildings we are preserving, we're creating an iconic representation of the properties," said developer Shawn Todd. "It's 15 acres plus a new park on property that's been repurposed."...

...Todd Interests plans to convert most of the old brick commercial buildings into a combination of office and retail space. The builder is looking at adding residential projects on some of the vacant lots included in the deal...

..."We've already got two leases and one of them is 30,000 square feet," Todd said. "We are overrun with people and we haven't even gone to market yet."

Todd said he has lined up a new lease with ecommerce firm OrderMyGear and has renewed a large office lease with marketing firm Tractorbeam...

..."All of this construction will be completed by the end of the year," Todd said. "We are putting a couple million dollars of improvements into the streetscape out of our pockets."...

The name is actually not bad...

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 17 May 2018 09:00

There needs to be an underground garage somewhere. There's already tons of lots nearby. I really wish this project wasn't so adverse to residential as well. They could build some apartments with extra parking that could be used for the offices.

Overall I am content. This stitches CBD , DE,and FM together.

I am happy with the name. It isn't trying to hard like "SoYo" or something cheesy like that.

I wish we could bring back some old Dallas names.. "frog town" "Freedman's town" , something with historical context.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 May 2018 09:08

They seem to be trying to latch on to the success of Deep Ellum and its resurgence as well as the success of Main Street traveling this way. I'm sure the city and Downtown Dallas Inc have been talking to developers looking for someone to take on this area. Unifying it under one owner is good though for the sake of getting more of it redeveloped. Now Todd can pool resources like for a future garage. I mean this rendering shows a limited change other than glossing over whats there. I hope it looks as good as the rendering does when its all said and done but I doubt this will be the last phase. Seems like they are just kicking off the first round of projects to fix what they have.

trueicon

Postby trueicon » 17 May 2018 09:29

"East Quarter" - meh. Sounds like the developer spent some time in New Orleans recently.

But hey, I'll call it anything they want as long as the concept is successful.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 17 May 2018 09:34

cowboyeagle05 wrote:They seem to be trying to latch on to the success of Deep Ellum and its resurgence as well as the success of Main Street traveling this way. I'm sure the city and Downtown Dallas Inc have been talking to developers looking for someone to take on this area. Unifying it under one owner is good though for the sake of getting more of it redeveloped. Now Todd can pool resources like for a future garage. I mean this rendering shows a limited change other than glossing over whats there. I hope it looks as good as the rendering does when its all said and done but I doubt this will be the last phase. Seems like they are just kicking off the first round of projects to fix what they have.

A limited change is fine for the time being, especially since they seem to be eager to get this one started. Long term, more will be needed, and more will come, but just the bare minimum should really help tie together the Farmer's Market to the Main Street area, which is desperately needed.

I also think the name isn't half bad. I was expecting some cringe-worthy attempt at being trendy, but East Quarter is simple and accurate.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 17 May 2018 09:40

I like the name and I like that they don't have some over-the-top, unattainable vision for the area. I do think it would be great to have some skinny residential buildings throughout to give it some use variety.

Also, I was sure the announcement would include something about that Nick Badovinus restaurant (East Quarter Kitchen/Cafe?) so that was disappointing.

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:I wish we could bring back some old Dallas names.. "frog town" "Freedman's town" , something with historical context.

I like your intent here, but can you imagine naming a gentrified place Freedman's Town?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 May 2018 10:45

Downtown Dallas Inc video of the announcement...https://youtu.be/o2izTE-wLeY

They are advocating for I-345 to come down.

https://www.eastquarterdallas.com/

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 17 May 2018 12:52

I really like how they're opening up all the windows in the old Purgatory club building. I really hope they extend wide sidewalks into Deep Ellum.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 17 May 2018 13:40

I really like this and am excited that they're looking to knock everything out by the end of the year. They seem to be pretty legit, and, at least from what I've seen thus far, it doesn't sound like they're asking for a bunch of handouts (that could be way off, I'm not that familiar with it).

Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 May 2018 13:49

That's what I've understood is this is mostly a clean up of existing operating properties. Obviously, the former Purgatory club being the biggest rehab but in the article, they do say they are spending their own money on some streetscape work. I think for now this is limited to a few construction permits for renovations and no requests for TIF funds. If they did request funds that could slow them down. If they do a well enough job I am sure a residential developer would be likely to show up and want to work on putting something amongst the redevelopment. The biggest thing missing from this vision is do they yet have a plan for the Masonic Temple? It is the furthermost away from their main acquisitions and does not have a massive parking lot either.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 17 May 2018 22:14

Can they really get all this done by the end of the year?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 17 May 2018 23:15

Tnexster wrote:Can they really get all this done by the end of the year?

Definitely ambitious, but not unrealistic. It would require them to do quite a bit of work in parallel, but, if there is demand for these spaces (which I imagine there is), then they are motivated to get this done quickly.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 18 May 2018 08:27

Dallas developer creating new downtown district https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... trict.html

To do that, the firm will renovate each building. For properties that have already been remodeled, minimal work will be needed. For others that haven’t seen improvements for decades, Todd Interests will work on making them into modern spaces.

“Many of the existing buildings are already occupied, but a lot of the space is raw,” Patrick Todd, one of the firm’s partners, told the Dallas Business Journal. “It looks like it hasn’t been touched since the 1950s, so they need to be updated and brought online for office space.”

Todd Interests also plans to add street scapes to the development and make it more walkable.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 18 May 2018 08:56

Is the property big enough to be it's own district? or is it simply big enough to be a development with a name? It's got to be packaged and marketed for sure and I'll be glad when we're past the identity shaping and onto day-to-day stuff.

Whatever, I'm going to think of it as the shared courtyard of Deep Ellum and Farmers Market.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 18 May 2018 11:34

Chef Nick Badovinus to open not one but two concepts in downtown Dallas
http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/city- ... badovinus/

Called National Anthem, the restaurant will open in the triangular Magnolia Oil building as part of a new district being formed on the eastern edge of downtown Dallas.

As if having chef Nick Badovinus were not enough, National Anthem will also have a rooftop patio. And Badovinus will also open a second restaurant concept in the same building: a breakfast and coffee joint called PMA All Day. That's two Badovinus restaurants in one building.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 18 May 2018 11:43

That's nice for now, but (regrettably) I'm already looking forward to the day 35 additional stories are added to the triangular Magnolia Oil Building. *sigh* well, more precisely, I've been looking forward to that day for a generation, give or take a decade.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 23 May 2018 12:40

Seems like, so far, they are fairly active on their Instagram page. They just posted a small update of a big hole they've added to the building on 2200 Main St:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BjGgLwHgIJm ... astquarter

This building should have some pretty nice views once they open it up more.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 23 May 2018 12:47

DPatel304 wrote:Seems like, so far, they are fairly active on their Instagram page. They just posted a small update of a big hole they've added to the building on 2200 Main St:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BjGgLwHgIJm ... astquarter

This building should have some pretty nice views once they open it up more.

Is that the old Purgatory (unh-tss unh-tss unh-tss) building?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 May 2018 13:08

What is unfortunate is the smaller building at the corner there labeled 2200 Main in this screenshot will be torn down for parking. I am not sad for the historical quality of the building but because the corner will become another lot.

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 1.05.15 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 23 May 2018 15:11

cowboyeagle05 wrote:What is unfortunate is the smaller building at the corner there labeled 2200 Main in this screenshot will be torn down for parking. I am not sad for the historical quality of the building but because the corner will become another lot.

That's my biggest complaint about this project. There's already tons of empty lots in this area. Todd Interests doesn't seem to be doing much about creating cohesion/connectivity with the city blocks in the district. It's more of a repurposing of the buildings. A garage would go a long way in allowing some of the lots to be used for other projects. Continuity is important. This project doesn't address this.

My hope is that there is another phase of the project where this is addressed.

However I am skeptical given the rendering. At least for this building

R1070

Postby R1070 » 23 May 2018 22:39

How come the city doesn't push developers to try to be more created with parking? They seem to be picky about apt buildings having above ground parking, but then turn around and let surface lots continue to pop up. We take a step forward and then get pushed back a step.

willyk

Postby willyk » 23 May 2018 23:07

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:What is unfortunate is the smaller building at the corner there labeled 2200 Main in this screenshot will be torn down for parking. I am not sad for the historical quality of the building but because the corner will become another lot.

That's my biggest complaint about this project. There's already tons of empty lots in this area. Todd Interests doesn't seem to be doing much about creating cohesion/connectivity with the city blocks in the district. It's more of a repurposing of the buildings. A garage would go a long way in allowing some of the lots to be used for other projects. Continuity is important. This project doesn't address this.

My hope is that there is another phase of the project where this is addressed.

However I am skeptical given the rendering. At least for this building

The lack of new construction is noteworthy. I think the strategy is to get a viable neighborhood on the map for a relatively small investment, then flip it or bring in a partner at a higher valuation. I find no fault in that—it’s good for Dallas, a good business move by Todd and a great deal for these investors. But this is clearly Act I, intended next to attract investment like what is happening in DE.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 May 2018 09:00

^ I agree he is making good improvements to the existing buildings right now including streetscape improvements which traditionally a developer won't do without incentives. Parking garages cost lots of money and unless he is building new space its not worth the many millions that would take. He is saving a few of them that have been sitting empty by tieing them all together into one leasable project. He could get this phase done and flip it or plan a second phase once most of the first phase is completed. A section could be sold to a residential developer to put in some apartments once the area looks more developed than it is now etc. Money from said sale could go into further reinvestment. At least the building he will be tearing down isn't a masterpiece.

I hope he invests in some parking lot activation strategies. Take some lessons from Bishop Arts, Parking Day and Better Block. Occasionally activate those parking lots with events that tenants would enjoy. Outdoor games, food trucks, lunchtime performances. He could even hold input gathering events from tenants that could inform him what people would like to see more of. Do they need a plaza for collecting more centralized neighborhood activity or is parking scarcity their real fear? Is a more permanent food truck park something that people would even want? All you need is a bunch of picnic tables and some trash cans and any of those lots could be a once a week event.