East Quarter: ~24 Building Redevelopment

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Re: East Quarter: ~24 Building Redevelopment

Postby undefinedprocess » 26 Mar 2022 07:53

willyk wrote:The application says residential. Maybe that info was already in the mix, but a 40-45 residential tower is pretty aggressive I think. The walkable amenities in this spot are very limited. I like the EQ and everything they have done, but I am reminded of how Victory suffers with plenty of residential and limited retail and restaurant. And I think they need to do more to attract local services to make this work— dry cleaners, gym, bodega, breakfast joint, etc. All the Farmers Market residential is underserved too, so EQ could pull traffic from there for new neighborhood businesses.

I think aggressive is the wise move here, assuming they stick with the height/floor count we’re seeing now. Urby Design District, tor example, is going to add a huge population to the area and there aren’t all that many neighborhood services nearby (and Design District isn’t as walkable). Carpenter and Harwood Parks should really serve as a catalyst for development IMO, and I think we’ll see the effects of these two projects very soon (especially Carpenter Park). And at this point, the more residential units in the core, the better. Plus, I’d argue that we’ve seen a few other residential towers go up with similar heights in the past few years that also lack neighborhood services, but they’ve leased out like crazy. Not disagreeing with you but I’m not concerned, and certainly want any and all additional residential units (especially in towers) added to the core. Fingers crossed though.

JDumont146 wrote: It's actually easily walkable from National Anthem/300 Pearl to all of the amenities on Main/Elm Commerce plus the Farmer's Market, plus Deep Ellum. That's part of what I love about them building this area out.

Also, there's a lot of retail space on the ground floor of 300 Pearl that they haven't leased out yet - maybe they'll get some useful ones.

Yeah really wanna see what 300 Pearl ground-floor space becomes. Love all of the other renovations/“restoration” work they’ve done on other structures in the EQ, and like that some is going the boutique office route, etc., but I do worry about so much of the space going to uses like that and not having more retail space spread out through the project. Still stand behind the idea that a couple more towers with some big setbacks rising over an old preserved structure or two would be great, but know I’m getting ahead of myself with that one.

Very curious to see when Isosceles ends up being announced, and ultimately, what its unit price points will be. Naturally, it’ll be somewhat expensive due to the fact it’s gonna be a larger tower, but I’m wondering if we’ll see any affordable units set aside. Between 300 Pearl’s EQ Residences (very expensive) and future Isosceles, the EQ looks to be turning into a boutique, high-end neighborhood.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 26 Mar 2022 21:14

That does seem aggressive. I seem to recall construction took a bit of a pause in 2020. I can't recall how significant it was, but perhaps demand continue to increase and now we are seeing developers try and play catch up from the hiatus in 2020?

Also, how long before we start talking about a grocery store in the CBD? I know we've gotten a Tom Thumb just to the east and also in Victory Park, but I'm surprised there haven't been more murmurs of one in the CBD.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 26 Mar 2022 22:11

If all of these little surface lots get filled in around there, this will be the best location in the core. Right now there's just too many gaps.

trueicon

Postby trueicon » 27 Mar 2022 16:05

potatocoins wrote:That does seem aggressive. I seem to recall construction took a bit of a pause in 2020. I can't recall how significant it was, but perhaps demand continue to increase and now we are seeing developers try and play catch up from the hiatus in 2020?

Also, how long before we start talking about a grocery store in the CBD? I know we've gotten a Tom Thumb just to the east and also in Victory Park, but I'm surprised there haven't been more murmurs of one in the CBD.

Yes! I fear that the big DFW players are at a saturation point in Dallas -- e.g., Tom Thumb and Kroger. But, the wild card here is H-E-B who's looking to be a big DFW player in the next 5 years (I'm not counting their Central Market division, which of course is already in Dallas and coming to Uptown). There is certainly room in the competitive space right now for H-E-B or Trader Joe's downtown, and in 5 or so years when there will be enough new residential units to the point that it won't cannibalize their nearby locations, Tom Thumb or Kroger could open another location in the CBD.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 27 Mar 2022 22:12

HEB would be great, but the few locations they have announced are pretty far out in the 'burbs, so I'm not expecting any sort of urban location from them anytime soon.

I could certainly see Trader Joe's happening within the CBD though! I still wouldn't expect anything in the immediate future, I guess I'm just surprised we haven't at least started to have conversations about it again seeing as how things seem to be trucking along in the CBD these days.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 01 Jun 2022 09:23

Some are complaining about bright light coming from 300 Pearl, the new East Quarter high rise.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/downt ... s/2982038/

Urbancowboy

Postby Urbancowboy » 04 Jun 2022 14:41

First world problems. Oh no!! So the residents complaining never heard of blinds or curtains?? This is building is a great addition to the neighborhood and for the city. Once the building is complete, it won't be as bright.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 04 Jun 2022 17:13

Urbancowboy wrote:First world problems. Oh no!! So the residents complaining never heard of blinds or curtains?? This is building is a great addition to the neighborhood and for the city. Once the building is complete, it won't be as bright.

The builder has already said there will be a curtain for the garage. Urban whiners are so tiresome.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 05 Jun 2022 15:38

rono3849 wrote:
Urbancowboy wrote:First world problems. Oh no!! So the residents complaining never heard of blinds or curtains?? This is building is a great addition to the neighborhood and for the city. Once the building is complete, it won't be as bright.

The builder has already said there will be a curtain for the garage. Urban whiners are so tiresome.

So what the hell are they waiting for? The developers in this town will not follow through with their promises unless held accountable. Good for the neighborhood.

LPG

Postby LPG » 05 Jun 2022 15:51

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
rono3849 wrote:

So what the hell are they waiting for? The developers in this town will not follow through with their promises unless held accountable. Good for the neighborhood.

WHY ISNT THIS UNFINISHED BUILDING FINISHED!? Developers in EVERY other city instantaneously manifest the construction of their buildings. Hell, Rome was built in a day!!

LPG

Postby LPG » 05 Jun 2022 16:01

Unrelated, one of the retail spaces is slotted for Cafe Sophie (another concept from Danny Grant), and I have heard that the corner at lease will be Muchachos (Omar Flores). Construction on Brass Ram and and the rooftop concept are underway above National Anthem. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the retail space fills out.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 06 Jun 2022 11:16

LPG wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
rono3849 wrote:

WHY ISNT THIS UNFINISHED BUILDING FINISHED!? Developers in EVERY other city instantaneously manifest the construction of their buildings. Hell, Rome was built in a day!!

.... except for the fact 300 pearl has been done for months and there's actually ppl living there now....

The "construction" on the side if building has been stagnant for and when I pass by every week, there's no signs of work...
Say what you will... But developers will take shortcuts.
Last edited by Tivo_Kenevil on 06 Jun 2022 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 06 Jun 2022 11:19

LPG wrote:Unrelated, one of the retail spaces is slotted for Cafe Sophie (another concept from Danny Grant), and I have heard that the corner at lease will be Muchachos (Omar Flores). Construction on Brass Ram and and the rooftop concept are underway above National Anthem. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the retail space fills out.

I was wondering about the roof top. I did see construction if some sort of kiosk looking thing up there.... Not sure what it was tho..bar i am guessing ..

LPG

Postby LPG » 06 Jun 2022 17:23

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
LPG wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:

.... except for the fact 300 pearl has been done for months and there's actually ppl living there now....

The "construction" on the side if building has been stagnant for and when I pass by every week, there's no signs of work...

Residents have moved in, but construction has yet to wrap. They should finish up by the 23rd.

While Dallas developers are abysmal overall, the Todds follow through. If this was a TCR project…

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 08 Jun 2022 17:37

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
LPG wrote:Unrelated, one of the retail spaces is slotted for Cafe Sophie (another concept from Danny Grant), and I have heard that the corner at lease will be Muchachos (Omar Flores). Construction on Brass Ram and and the rooftop concept are underway above National Anthem. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the retail space fills out.

I was wondering about the roof top. I did see construction if some sort of kiosk looking thing up there.... Not sure what it was tho..bar i am guessing ..

The rooftop is an extension of National Anthem. They announced it last year when the main chunk of the restaurant opened.
LPG wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
LPG wrote:

Residents have moved in, but construction has yet to wrap. They should finish up by the 23rd.

While Dallas developers are abysmal overall, the Todds follow through. If this was a TCR project…

Agreed, Todd Interests has a pretty good record on following through, although it is kinda interesting to me that it's taken this long to screen in the garage.

On another note regarding 300 Pearl... I will be very interesting to see how fast the office space in there leases up, as well as any ground-flor retail. Interested in what type of tenants they can land for both office & retail. Desperately want this project to be a success, and hope things are filled up by the time Harwood Park opens.

@ Todd Interests: Isosceles when?!

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 23 Jun 2022 11:27

Saw this filing just posted. 47 story residential tower for 2222 Main Street. Looks to be the new East Quarter tower.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2022022179

citygeek

Postby citygeek » 23 Jun 2022 12:10

Thanks Kelley USA!
"To love ..(a).. city and to have a part in its advancement and improvement is the highest priority and duty of a citizen."
Daniel Burnham, 1909

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 23 Jun 2022 12:16

Kelley USA wrote:Saw this filing just posted. 47 story residential tower for 2222 Main Street. Looks to be the new East Quarter tower.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2022022179

Exciting!

Addison

Postby Addison » 23 Jun 2022 12:30

Have we seen renderings for this elusive tower yet?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 23 Jun 2022 13:17

Addison wrote:Have we seen renderings for this elusive tower yet?

Not yet, but give the DMN a day or two and I bet we see one. They're pretty good about procuring renderings.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 23 Jun 2022 13:52

The East Quarter just continues to impress me! I honestly have not stepped foot in this area in a couple years, but I just love the steady stream of development and news that seems to come out of here.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 23 Jun 2022 14:32

So the Isosceles Tower appears to be a go. Quite an interesting time to see so many towers in Dallas on the drawing board that look promising to actually make it out of the ground. I'm still waiting to see if Harwood #12 is ever announced.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 23 Jun 2022 14:58

rono3849 wrote:So the Isosceles Tower appears to be a go. Quite an interesting time to see so many towers in Dallas on the drawing board that look promising to actually make it out of the ground. I'm still waiting to see if Harwood #12 is ever announced.

Agreed, it definitely seems like we are getting a number of announcements lately. Obviously anything can happen and there is no guarantee all will go through, but things are looking pretty good so far.

What's most promising is that this is all post-pandemic and also at a point where we seem to be heading into a recession. Even with those two things working against the economy, it still seems like some developers are still comfortable moving ahead and better on Dallas.

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 23 Jun 2022 15:31

ImageUntitled by rlopez2011, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by rlopez2011, on Flickr

DFW

Postby DFW » 23 Jun 2022 15:38

Wow!
Im starting to get lost in all these skyscraper developments downtown. :o
Could this eventually become a building boom like the 1980s?

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 23 Jun 2022 15:48

They say it’s gonna be the tallest such building on downtowns eastern edge. Does that mean it’ll be taller than comerica tower or are they specifically saying tallest “residential” tower on the eastern edge?

Addison

Postby Addison » 23 Jun 2022 16:08

zblevinz555 wrote:They say it’s gonna be the tallest such building on downtowns eastern edge. Does that mean it’ll be taller than comerica tower or are they specifically saying tallest “residential” tower on the eastern edge?

If we're being technical, I don't consider Comerica the eastern edge of downtown...

Addison

Postby Addison » 23 Jun 2022 16:09

DFW wrote:Wow!
Im starting to get lost in all these skyscraper developments downtown. :o
Could this eventually become a building boom like the 1980s?

No.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 23 Jun 2022 18:14

And to think, just a few years ago the highest and best use of the neighboring plot was a 4-story self storage building (see pic below by Kingpin of site).

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 23 Jun 2022 19:01

zblevinz555 wrote:They say it’s gonna be the tallest such building on downtowns eastern edge. Does that mean it’ll be taller than comerica tower or are they specifically saying tallest “residential” tower on the eastern edge?

The proposed residential tower would be the tallest building planned for downtown’s eastern edge.

Tallest building planned is the key distinction. Previous FAA OEAAA filing that was dug up last year was 545 feet, which lines up with what a 47 story residential tower would deliver.

willyk

Postby willyk » 24 Jun 2022 05:12

Construction of some town homes at a large site just south of this one, on Commerce, started then stopped. This is a great location for more town homes. I wonder what happened—anybody know?

R1070

Postby R1070 » 24 Jun 2022 09:35

I think the stop happened pre-COVID, so maybe the builder had financial issues? It is a great location!

RodB

Postby RodB » 24 Jun 2022 22:50

29 months seams very aggressive for 50 stories I wonder are they just putting out feelers?

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 28 Jun 2022 14:38

RodB wrote:29 months seams very aggressive for 50 stories I wonder are they just putting out feelers?

To me, that's not too aggressive, but who knows. I don't think they're putting out feelers. Ever since someone found the HKS Dallas office lead architect's Pinterest board for this project, we've been waiting for more info... I think Todd Interests fully intends to move forward with this assuming they can make the deal work on the financing side (considering recession, other economic factors).

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 05 Aug 2022 09:59

Still no rendering for The Isosceles? Isn’t it suppose to start in September?

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 05 Aug 2022 10:25

No idea about renderings still. Maybe I need to look through the windows of One Dallas Center at Saint Paul Station again and see if anything is laying around like usual!

But, here's what is currently stated online elsewhere, updated late July '22:

Code: Select all

Project Title   
Track Project
isosceles Residential
Project Type      New Construction
Physical Address      2222 Main Street  Map
City, State (County)      Dallas, TX 75201   (Dallas County)
Category(s)      Residential
Sub-Category(s)      Apartments/Condominiums
Contracting Method      Bids by Invitation.
Project Status      Construction Documents, Construction Start Expected September 2022,
Estimated Value      $195,000,000
Owner

Isosceles Development      Analysis   
400 N Ervay St Ste 150
Dallas, TX 752013134   (214) 468-0707
Contact - Chad Jackson
Architect

HKS Architects Inc.   Websites   Analysis   
350 N Saint Paul St Ste 100
Dallas, TX 752014200   (214) 969-5599
fax: (214) 969-3397
Description      Working plans call for the construction of a 800,000-square-foot, 47-story above grade multi-residential development. As of June 27, 2022, final design is underway. Information regarding the general contractor or their method of selection has not been disclosed. Construction is scheduled to begin September 2022 and be completed February 2025. *Project information, including timeline and contacts, has been obtained through public sources. The content management team continues to pursue additional details; however, the contact(s) listed have yet to disclose or confirm any information. Inquiries should be directed to the contact(s) listed.
Details      Apartments/Condominiums, 47 Stories Above Grade, 800,000 SF New Construction.

As of June 27, 2022, final design is underway.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 05 Aug 2022 10:38

Says September which is coming up. Would be nice if one of these would start. There is a noticeable lack of cranes dotting the skyline right now.

willyk

Postby willyk » 07 Aug 2022 03:34

You may have to dig a little bit, but the June 21 drone footage of Harwood Park adjacent to 300 Pearl is very cool. Third photo in the gallery (w the video icon) will get you there.

https://parksfordowntowndallas.org/harwood-park/

Also, it seems to show a disappointing lack of construction activity at the Centurion residential on Jackson. I thought this one had recently announced a restart.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 08 Aug 2022 09:35

That park is larger than I imagined.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 08 Aug 2022 11:49

willyk wrote:Also, it seems to show a disappointing lack of construction activity at the Centurion residential on Jackson. I thought this one had recently announced a restart.

Well damn, I wonder what the hold up is now. Couldn't possibly be a permits issue this far out. It's been three months since the 'restart' article.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 08 Aug 2022 11:58

Tnexster wrote:That park is larger than I imagined.

I have a feeling this will be my favorite of the 2017 bond program parks with the way it's surrounded by historic buildings and even preserves the one building for a multi-use rec space.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 08 Aug 2022 12:52

IcedCowboyCoffee wrote:
willyk wrote:Also, it seems to show a disappointing lack of construction activity at the Centurion residential on Jackson. I thought this one had recently announced a restart.

Well damn, I wonder what the hold up is now. Couldn't possibly be a permits issue this far out. It's been three months since the 'restart' article.

The developer has been shown to be a bit flakey, to say the least. I think he's run into funding issues and let's be frank, that area around the development & the park is challenging. There is a lot of homelessness in the area and I think it will be a tough sell to get tenants into that building. The city needs to make sure they put an emphasis on safety.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 08 Aug 2022 14:01

lakewoodhobo wrote:I have a feeling this will be my favorite of the 2017 bond program parks with the way it's surrounded by historic buildings and even preserves the one building for a multi-use rec space.

Is the city working up a plan to get good pedestrian and cyclist connections between the downtown parks? Getting access from Katy trail/Reverchon park through uptown, Reunion tower overlook to Trinity river, Santa Fe trail to the CBD parks is a logical next step to make that area a better place to live.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 08 Aug 2022 15:54

rono3849 wrote:The developer has been shown to be a bit flakey, to say the least. I think he's run into funding issues and let's be frank, that area around the development & the park is challenging. There is a lot of homelessness in the area and I think it will be a tough sell to get tenants into that building. The city needs to make sure they put an emphasis on safety.

Not buying this. A shiny new residential tower was built literally a street over not to mention there's other apartment projects in the Farmers Market area...

The real issue is the developer. They're also the developers behind the Cabana Hotel which has stalled for years.
They're also focusing on a Plano Mall project I believe.

I fear that one will sit unfortunately ...

Dmkflyer

Postby Dmkflyer » 09 Aug 2022 18:48

Go over to the Statler thread. There is a very good reason for the pause. It is still very much moving forward

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 14 Sep 2022 11:51

Quick update: It appears they applied for building permits for the Isosceles on July 11, 2022. No permits issued as of today.

Addison

Postby Addison » 14 Sep 2022 13:30

Tucy wrote:Quick update: It appears they applied for building permits for the Isosceles on July 11, 2022. No permits issued as of today.

I'm still skeptical about this.

It's weird that no one has even attempted to leak the rendering for this elusive tower despite this so-called permit application, as I imagine they would have had to present blueprints & images of the proposed building for review.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Sep 2022 13:54

Not if they have the zoning they need to build what they want. If the design fits with all the rules for the parcel and they do everything the city wants on paper, they can build something without much public viewing or required showing of renderings. Things are approved monthly in this city that doesn't provide visuals because the builder does everything the city requires to align with existing zoning. This isn't just a gas station, but if the city rezoned this area in a way that the developer can make the numbers work, they could build on a lot without anyone of us ever knowing what's coming. In theory, city governments aren't in the business of regulating "design," so the design shouldn't be a requirement, but the city can require documentation on the use, function, and safe construction of the property. It's a line they are always playing with, however.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

GunnerDallas

Postby GunnerDallas » 15 Sep 2022 08:21

I've noticed that in the past week, plywood walls with fake greenery have been put up on a couple of lots at the corner of Cesar Chavez and Commerce. I wonder if this could be staging for construction start of the new Isosceles tower.