Postby maconahey » 01 Mar 2019 18:01

joshua.dodd

Re: Downtown Dallas: City Lights

Postby joshua.dodd » 02 Mar 2019 07:22

This one is taking forever to build.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 Mar 2019 10:27

Sure seems that way but it is a fairly large building isn't it? I mean from one side to the other.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 03 Mar 2019 23:48

Yeah, I think the floor plates are quite complicated so pouring each floor is a time taking process. Its easier to throw up a garage and a square podium tower on top like Amli Fountain Place. When you throw in a more varied floor plate shape the molds and pouring can take longer.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 05 Mar 2019 12:43

Looks to me like it is not a stick build but concrete for every floor? That may be causing it to take a bit longer too.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 05 Mar 2019 20:26

The "stick builds", as you call them, make me feel very uncomfortable. They look like they will just fall over. And being that this is Texas and we have tornadoes, that makes them that much more uncomfortable to me.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 27 Mar 2019 23:34

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Mar 2019 22:22

This really is huge building but I am curious, how many levels are parking?

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 29 Mar 2019 09:18

The "stick builds", as you call them, make me feel very uncomfortable

Yesterday was apparently the 19th anniversary of the tornado that hit downtown Ft Worth. If an actual tornado comes though, it really doesn't make that much difference - brick, sticks, or concrete. There is also an office building in Lubbock that was visibly twisted after being hit by a tornado.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 26 Apr 2019 16:26

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Apr 2019 12:42

Finally making some upward progress, looking good. Thanks for the pics maconahey!

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 07 Jun 2019 20:08

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 08 Jun 2019 11:39

One of the cranes is coming down.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 08 Jun 2019 12:58

Digging the street presence here.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Jun 2019 13:25

I just wish we were getting wider sidewalks in this area to connect the grocery by foot more easily.

ForumFollowsFunction

Postby ForumFollowsFunction » 09 Jun 2019 14:49

Looks like one of their cranes fell over in the storm

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 09 Jun 2019 15:59

By the looks of the pictures/video, a crane on the building that will also house the Tom Thumb store, it fell over onto the other already-existing City Lights apartment complex.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/weather ... ging-winds
https://www.nbcdfw.com/weather/stories/ ... 45081.html
http://www.fox4news.com/news/strong-win ... t-building

ForumFollowsFunction

Postby ForumFollowsFunction » 09 Jun 2019 16:00

Confirmed. The cranes from the currently under construction phase fell over during the storm onto the already occupied part of the project. Terrible.

645563F6-2113-411B-A027-250F43C34E74.jpeg

170DB617-A100-4C70-A82D-4994755B7AE1.jpeg

3E6C761F-9BB6-4A8B-8867-A089349758CF.jpeg

1A5FD764-082B-4255-85DF-C80478F930FA.jpeg

35098323-6D65-486C-AA1A-F15F357458E7.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 09 Jun 2019 16:39

There’s also videos on FB with glass flying off the Hall Arts tower and smashing windows at KPMG Plaza and materials flying off AMLI Fountain Place.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 09 Jun 2019 17:48

These things really are built as cheap as they look... I really hope nobody was hurt.

whit5125

Postby whit5125 » 09 Jun 2019 19:06

1 dead , 5 more critical condition.

It was a very bad storm that tore through the area but unless it was a miceoburst or a small tornado I expect lawsuits to start flying for the crane not being secure enough, or at least an attempt to from the families of the victims.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 09 Jun 2019 20:40

My goodness. That is some serious damage. On another note, this also brings to light just how cheaply constructed these things are.

Boomerreed

Postby Boomerreed » 09 Jun 2019 21:09

whit5125 wrote:1 dead , 5 more critical condition.

It was a very bad storm that tore through the area but unless it was a miceoburst or a small tornado I expect lawsuits to start flying for the crane not being secure enough, or at least an attempt to from the families of the victims.

A new thunderstorm developed right over the NW part of Dallas and moved southeast and it very quickly matured and drop a very intense downburst there and then another one over Love Field, and that traversed its way to downtown and vicinity. The video I've seen of the collapse, the boom was still pointed west or northwest and had not yet turned to the direction the wind was blowing towards, being the southeast. The wind speeds increased incredibly fast so booms do not always react, especially if they are hit exact at the same angle, and it very well may have been the case, but we may never know that finite level of detail.

A terribly freak accident, but man, that building was clearly stick frame and could never be engineered to take that sudden of a direct hit load.

hatchback

Postby hatchback » 09 Jun 2019 22:31

Boomerreed wrote:A new thunderstorm developed right over the NW part of Dallas and moved southeast and it very quickly matured and drop a very intense downburst there and then another one over Love Field, and that traversed its way to downtown and vicinity. The video I've seen of the collapse, the boom was still pointed west or northwest and had not yet turned to the direction the wind was blowing towards, being the southeast. The wind speeds increased incredibly fast so booms do not always react, especially if they are hit exact at the same angle, and it very well may have been the case, but we may never know that finite level of detail.

A terribly freak accident, but man, that building was clearly stick frame and could never be engineered to take that sudden of a direct hit load.

The storm was part of a larger complex of storms that rapidly moved south out of Oklahoma. Really terrible situation in Deep Ellum/Old East Dallas/Bryan Place.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 10 Jun 2019 12:17

Brings up a question that I've had for a long time. If looks like the garage of the Elan building was damaged pretty severely. These garages in this style of apartment design are usually built first with a crane, and then completely wrapped around with the structure of the apartment housing units.

How would they got about repairing this? The garage looks like it is going to be very difficult to access, and tower cranes - which are the only cranes that I would imagine would have the reach for this - aren't strong enough to lift the pre-fab concrete pieces that you would build something like this out of.

TreeFrog

Postby TreeFrog » 10 Jun 2019 19:19

Looks like all residents will be displaced:
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/534-Residents-Displaced-by-Deadly-Crane-Collapse--511095712.html

Statement on Elan's Facebook page:
Dear Residents,
Our deepest thoughts and sympathies are with you and your families during this difficult time. We wanted to update you with the latest information about the community. Unfortunately, the building has become totally unusable for residential purposes and you will not be able to reoccupy your apartment. With that being said, we are here to help each of you in finding a new home. All deposits and June rent will be refunded to you, without deduction. Refund checks will be available to leaseholders on Tuesday, June 11, 2019 after 3 p.m. at the Latino Cultural Center, 2600 Live Oak Street.

Below is some information and options to assist you in finding a new home:
• We’ve extended the per diem of $100 per day per leaseholder through Friday.
• We’ve extend the reservations for the block of rooms through and including Friday night at area hotels while you seek alternate housing.
• We have available units on a first-come, first-serve basis at the Greystar apartment communities listed below. Should you elect this option, all fees associated with your new lease will be waived. This includes application fees, administrative fees, security deposit, pet security deposit and pet fees.
• We will also be including a $500 allowance per apartment, which will be included in your refund check.
• If you would like to consider other housing options, we have a professional locator available on site at the Latino Cultural Center to assist you.
We know that this is a challenging time for you and your families. We will continue to update you as we get more information and will have team members available to assist you at the Latino Cultural Center through 9 p.m. this evening and we will be back tomorrow morning. You may also contact us at (866) 204-1483 or at elancitylights@greystar.com. Please continue to watch for updates on the resident portal.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 10 Jun 2019 20:31

Wow, nobody will be able to go back? I wonder if it's because it will be a long renovation, or if it's because they have to tear the whole complex down. That crane company is in for a world of hurt if they are the liable party.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 10 Jun 2019 20:53

I can’t imagine the whole complex being torn down. Wow

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 10 Jun 2019 22:03

Considering the poor construction value of these new apartments being built around town, I don't understand why anyone would waste so much money renting a room in these badly built units. Too bad for the residents.

hjkll

Postby hjkll » 10 Jun 2019 23:28

joshua.dodd wrote:Considering the poor construction value of these new apartments being built around town, I don't understand why anyone would waste so much money renting a room in these badly built units. Too bad for the residents.

What a horrible thing to say after someone is dead and multiple people are in critical condition. People need places to live. What do you think is the ideal living situation we should all replicate?

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 10 Jun 2019 23:48

How is anything I stated "horrible"? It's stating the obvious. But to answer your question, good quality buildings that are strong. It's a known fact that developers notoriously cut corners to maximize profit.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 11 Jun 2019 02:07

With the way the damages occurred, and as extensive as they are, I don't know how they could just fix what's damaged, as much of the affected section is in the middle. That would be difficult to access with cement trucks and whatever other kind of equipment that would be needed. Plus, it's not totally clear how structurally sound any of the surrounding units (beside or underneath) are. Just fixing the visibly-impacted units will likely not be enough.

TreeFrog

Postby TreeFrog » 11 Jun 2019 02:34

joshua.dodd wrote:How is anything I stated "horrible"? It's stating the obvious. But to answer your question, good quality buildings that are strong. It's a known fact that developers notoriously cut corners to maximize profit.

I live in an apartment complex most likely built cheaper than that one, just down the road, and from over a decade ago. I do so because I can afford what I'm getting.

I would love to live in one of the more "good quality" buildings but I can't unfortunately afford $3+ sq. ft.

That is coming from someone that makes a pretty good income. I can't afford to buy a house relatively close to the city, I don't want the maintenance, I don't want to live in the suburbs, and I can't afford a "strong" building that you suggest.

If I can't afford it, there are lots that can't because my income is well above average. You need to think about what you are saying.

I agree many of these places are probably not built the best way but unless we have building codes that require them to be built to a higher standard (and cost to the renter), you are being very insensitive.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 11 Jun 2019 08:10

Is it correct that the crane fell at the location and angle in this diagram? Just trying to imagine a scenario where any of the building could be saved, assuming any section is structurally independent.

2F775036-30AE-4029-A64D-837A617E4466.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 11 Jun 2019 09:13

I don't get the comments either. A crane fell on the building - it didn't catch on fire and only one section was damaged, and a building that is 96% occupied per the news only 6 people were injured. The crane fell through the parking garage - made of concrete. What kind of building could survive that?

Also, assuming the section is structurally sound, they can pour the damaged garage in place rather than using prefab with long concrete booms over the top of the building, and then repair the damaged apartments. Yes, it will probably take a long time to repair and be very disruptive to existing residents.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 11 Jun 2019 09:20

The complex has been ruled totally unusable. None of the residents will be able to return. I'm not sure if Greystar is just going to total the building and tear it down or salvage whatever sections and units they can. As of yesterday all of the June rent payments and security deposits had been refunded.

eburress

Postby eburress » 11 Jun 2019 09:23

TreeFrog wrote:
joshua.dodd wrote:How is anything I stated "horrible"? It's stating the obvious. But to answer your question, good quality buildings that are strong. It's a known fact that developers notoriously cut corners to maximize profit.

I live in an apartment complex most likely built cheaper than that one, just down the road, and from over a decade ago. I do so because I can afford what I'm getting.

I would love to live in one of the more "good quality" buildings but I can't unfortunately afford $3+ sq. ft.

That is coming from someone that makes a pretty good income. I can't afford to buy a house relatively close to the city, I don't want the maintenance, I don't want to live in the suburbs, and I can't afford a "strong" building that you suggest.

If I can't afford it, there are lots that can't because my income is well above average. You need to think about what you are saying.

I agree many of these places are probably not built the best way but unless we have building codes that require them to be built to a higher standard (and cost to the renter), you are being very insensitive.

For what it's worth, my impression was Joshua's statement was targeted at the people building and charging too much for "badly-built" apartments; not the people who are forced to live there (he specifically stated "too bad for the residents").

muncien

Postby muncien » 11 Jun 2019 09:26

I haven't really seen detailed pics of the garage, but from what I have seen, it appears to be cast-in-place, meaning it wasn't built from prefab panels. If that's true, it is feasible to cut away the damaged sections and re pour it in place. That also speaks volumes to how heavy that crane was. It may have been the counter-weight that hit there. Those monolithic garages are typically pretty strong.
Also, the fact that the rest of the building is mostly stick build may work in their favor as well. Sure, they'll have to cut away several units in each direction, but I suspect much of the existing structure will remain.
After the Northridge Earthquake in So Cal, my mom's company did a lot of rebuilds of this type. As bad as this appears, it could have been much worse.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

eburress

Postby eburress » 11 Jun 2019 09:26

The_Overdog wrote:The crane fell through the parking garage - made of concrete. What kind of building could survive that?

That's a really good point. We've seen those parking garages collapse recently (twice recently in Uptown in fact) so they might not be as solid as they probably should be, but it's not like that crane fell through balsa wood.
Last edited by eburress on 11 Jun 2019 10:49, edited 1 time in total.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Jun 2019 10:32

Yeah, I imagine they are still determining what's likely to be salvaged and whats to be rebuilt.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 11 Jun 2019 15:59

The_Overdog wrote:I don't get the comments either. A crane fell on the building - it didn't catch on fire and only one section was damaged, and a building that is 96% occupied per the news only 6 people were injured. The crane fell through the parking garage - made of concrete. What kind of building could survive that?

Also, assuming the section is structurally sound, they can pour the damaged garage in place rather than using prefab with long concrete booms over the top of the building, and then repair the damaged apartments. Yes, it will probably take a long time to repair and be very disruptive to existing residents.

From the photos that I have seen, I am almost positive that this is a prefab garage. The break lines are much too clean on many of the pieces that have fallen down. I would not be surprised if the reason for Elan shutting the entire thing down is just because there is no way to rebuild this garage without knocking down an entire block of the apartments surrounding it, just so that they can access it.

That, an coupled with the fact that it is very hard to lease an apartment in Dallas that doesn't have parking associated with it.

Really and truly a freak accident that could not be planned for. For all the people above stating that this is illustrative of how cheaply apartments are made... what a load of shit. Few things could withstand this. The garage took a direct hit from the crane's concrete ballast essentially in free fall from 100+ feet up.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 11 Jun 2019 16:21

The real question is why tis crane fell, when others around town did okay. They're supposed to withstand 140 mph winds.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 11 Jun 2019 18:34

homeworld1031tx wrote:
The_Overdog wrote:For all the people above stating that this is illustrative of how cheaply apartments are made... what a load of shit. Few things could withstand this. The garage took a direct hit from the crane's concrete ballast essentially in free fall from 100+ feet up.

Bingo.

muncien

Postby muncien » 12 Jun 2019 09:12

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:The real question is why tis crane fell, when others around town did okay. They're supposed to withstand 140 mph winds.

Totally... That 140mph rating is when you have the butt end of the boom pointed toward the direction the wind is coming from. In the videos I have seen, it doesn't appear to have that orientation. If the crane boom were oriented perpendicular to the wind direction, that puts a much greater stress on the tower section during high winds. But even then, 70mph shouldn't be a problem. But coupled with some gusts up to 90, it could become an issue.

Either way... The crane operator has a LOT of explaining to do if indeed they weren't oriented correctly. $$$$
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Aug 2019 14:13

Did this ever resume construction?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Aug 2019 14:30

Well, they supposedly started back up after the crane was disconnected from the job site and left sitting across the Elan. They started this week removing the crane out of Elan but I imagine the Tom Thumb store side has been delayed without a crane.

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 27 Aug 2019 21:16

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Well, they supposedly started back up after the crane was disconnected from the job site and left sitting across the Elan. They started this week removing the crane out of Elan but I imagine the Tom Thumb store side has been delayed without a crane.

Ok interesting, as I recently noticed they installed the two giant “portable” cranes next to city lights.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 27 Aug 2019 23:16

Construction is going on. The back side is adding more floors and I think the front has added all of the floors that part will have.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 28 Aug 2019 12:32

I biked across here last night. It looks like they have brought in some portable cranes to begin removing the fallen one.

Citylights never really stopped construction for a significant amount of time. I remember biking by it a week after the crane fell and noticed a small mobile crane that was being used on the 'rear'(Northeast) side of the building with workers milling about.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 21 Sep 2019 02:41

More than 3 months after collapse, fallen crane has been removed from Old East Dallas apartments

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2019/09 ... partments/