High Point Crossing

p0nyfan

High Point Crossing

Postby p0nyfan » 31 Oct 2017 10:18

Haven't seen this posted anywhere...

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2017/10/25/retail-hub-breaking-ground-dallas-northwest-highway

drove by the other day and the old dealership parking lot is gone.

cowboyeagle05

Re: High Point Crossing

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 31 Oct 2017 10:31

Yeah its kinda uneventful because its gonna be some of the same tired shopping centers we already have with cheap architecture and throw away economic development for the area.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 31 Oct 2017 10:34

With traffic counts on Northwest Highway at more than 50,000 commuters a day and a population of almost 150,000 people within three miles of the site, the busy strip should be a hit with retailers.

Fine with more stores and whatever neighborhood residents want, but the pictured design is terrible, great for the transitional edge of suburbia, but this property is in "the city" and should have a design reaching toward the future of greater population density, more efficient traffic flow and potential expansion.
1508944690-highpointcrossing.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 31 Oct 2017 11:42

There's already multiple shopping centers exactly like this down and across the street. What a waste.

The NW & skillman shopping center has basically everything. What else could be needed in the area.. there's a Sam's, Target, Kohl's, Chic Fila , Banks, various chain fast food Restaurants. This is more of the same. Meh..

Slightly off topic, but with e-commerce murdering brick and mortar stores, I would expect more mixed used projects to be announced ...sad to see a more of the same old stuff here.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 31 Oct 2017 12:38

Ugh.

Also, their target retailers are Ross and Marshall's? Lol. That's what you're building a brand-new development to house?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 31 Oct 2017 15:19

I am sure it will be stucco with some light stonework to attract the retailers currently on the Skillman Abrams side. Marshalls and DD's Discounts is already there. I assume they would jump ship in a minute to be on the Northwest Hwy side. This whole area reminds me of Town East Mall because I have watched retailers jump shopping centers every 5-7 years when a developer throws up a new strip center and sometimes there are retailers to backfill and sometimes the strip center sits empty waiting for tax incentives to add some more lipstick to the pig.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 31 Oct 2017 20:53

Gross. Looks like the mammoth shopping center off 77 and 287 in Waxahachie.

Dallas12

Postby Dallas12 » 31 Oct 2017 23:02

It’s all about timing with developments. This site is being developed to generate revenue. When the time is right, it will be prime for a higher and better use. A big mixed-use for this neighborhood doesn’t seem imminent.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 31 Oct 2017 23:34

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I am sure it will be stucco with some light stonework to attract the retailers currently on the Skillman Abrams side. Marshalls and DD's Discounts is already there. I assume they would jump ship in a minute to be on the Northwest Hwy side. This whole area reminds me of Town East Mall because I have watched retailers jump shopping centers every 5-7 years when a developer throws up a new strip center and sometimes there are retailers to backfill and sometimes the strip center sits empty waiting for tax incentives to add some more lipstick to the pig.

We need a Fallas Paredes in this site!

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 01 Nov 2017 01:35

Dallas12 wrote:It’s all about timing with developments. This site is being developed to generate revenue. When the time is right, it will be prime for a higher and better use. A big mixed-use for this neighborhood doesn’t seem imminent.

Right off of Northwest Highway, a mile from 75 and a mile from White Rock... pretty sure that could support some apartments.

The reason we're getting this crap is that residential uses are not allowed by zoning for this lot. It's a PD, but the zoning is based on an RR (Regional Retail) designation. I would bet a lot of money that a strip shopping center for Ross and Marshall's is not the highest and best use of that land were those restrictions not on there.

This is a relatively desirable in-town location, and if what's proposed gets built, this strip shopping center will be taking up that land for at least the next 35 years.

vman

Postby vman » 01 Nov 2017 07:09

Personally, I thought this location is perfect for a purchasable townhome/condo community. I agree that this area is super retail heavy. Some residential would have been a much better use of this space.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 28 Jan 2018 13:04

Just saw an updated sign at the site a couple of nights ago. Apparently the developers have landed Academy Sports, Burlington, and Marshalls so far for the project.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 28 Jan 2018 14:37

what a disappointment

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 28 Jan 2018 16:35

Big box heaven, or hell depending on your viewpoint.

DMN story Saturday also included Five Below and pad sites for “fast casual” restaurants tbd.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... es-tenants
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vman

Postby vman » 29 Jan 2018 07:04

tamtagon wrote:what a disappointment

As mentioned in an earlier post, this area is EXTREMELY retail heavy (Northpark is right down the street), these big box retailers don't surprise me at all. I mean, what else is there? It's hard to think of a retailer that isn't in a three mile radius of these place.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 20 Oct 2018 08:45

Looks like most all the center is complete (I haven't been by there yet to see). New openings at High Point:

Late in September: Burlington
This past week: Academy, Five Below
Early November: Marshall's
Upcoming: Castle Nail Spa, Chipotle, Dunkin' (Donuts), Stanton Optical

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... oming-soon

Site note... Because of this new Academy store's proximity to the existing Academy at 75-Central/Forest, Academy decided to make that store into an outlet store.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 20 Oct 2018 08:51

itsjrd1964 wrote:Looks like most all the center is complete (I haven't been by there yet to see).

There is nothing to see. It really is a POS development with nothing to add to neighborhood in terms of design or appeal. I wouldn’t think Uptown urban was necessary- but they didn’t improve over Medallion next door.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 21 Oct 2018 06:35

The original development plan did have a more urban feel to it with less parking fronting NW Hwy and a parking garage. Big box developers do what big box developers do and that’s tease with something that isn’t totally terrible with every intention of building something cheap and totally terrible. Sucks.