Downtown Dallas: Newpark Dallas/Smart District

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: Dallas Smart District

Postby tamtagon » 09 Aug 2020 13:31

^Yes! Build it and they will come.... Dallas has been coming together for two decades, and most indications show a booming future. How many billions of dollars worth of development has happened in the greater downtown area since 2000? The bulk of the work to strip away the decades of suburbanizing the CBD is complete, and the CBD is becoming a livable place.

The region continues to grow faster than most or all other population centers. And while the bulk of the new population will continue to settle in un/under developed areas, the central city will not reach a plateau, it will expand, as it has always done. My biggest dilemma is whether or not Fort Worth will finally come out of hibernation and whether or not Frisco will emerge as a new 'downtown.'

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 09 Aug 2020 13:56

Tnexster wrote:So we have this on the south side of downtown and De La Vega and that massive development on the north side. Can Dallas absorb that much new space? Especially now?

Here's some food for thought on that topic:

According to Transwestern's office market reports, at the end of 2017, 25,798,000 square feet of office space was occupied in the CBD and another 11,854,000 square feet was occupied in Uptown, for a greater downtown occupied space total of 37,652,000 square feet.

Now, in mid-2020, the CBD has only 23,400,000 square feet occupied and Uptown has 12,812,000 square feet occupied, for a greater downtown occupied space total of 36,214,000; Almost 1.5 Million less office space is occupied than 2 1/2 years ago.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 10 Aug 2020 16:41

rono3849 wrote:As much as I'd like to see this work, I just don't think it's possible. It's basically disconnected from the rest of the Downtown area & the South side of Downtown has no draw to want to be there. City Hall can't pull in folks & of what I've seen of AT&T's District, that won't do it either. All of those hideous open parking lots will remain empty for years to come, IMO.

This project as a whole feels like something that hinges a lot on presumed area growth set into motion by the high speed rail station and the proposed deck park. In the meantime, I can see just one of these buildings getting built while the rest wait for a reason to exist.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Aug 2020 17:14

Tucy wrote:
Tnexster wrote:So we have this on the south side of downtown and De La Vega and that massive development on the north side. Can Dallas absorb that much new space? Especially now?

Here's some food for thought on that topic:

According to Transwestern's office market reports, at the end of 2017, 25,798,000 square feet of office space was occupied in the CBD and another 11,854,000 square feet was occupied in Uptown, for a greater downtown occupied space total of 37,652,000 square feet.

Now, in mid-2020, the CBD has only 23,400,000 square feet occupied and Uptown has 12,812,000 square feet occupied, for a greater downtown occupied space total of 36,214,000; Almost 1.5 Million less office space is occupied than 2 1/2 years ago.

Keeping mind the perspective how much space was brand new and how much was vacated that is likely to need major renovation to be even considered leas-able in current office trends. Its possible for a market to build new space that fills up instantly while 1980's towers continue to struggle with maintaining relevance. AT&T spent a lot of money to trying to avoid not being irrelevant to retain talent. The CBD between the freeway loop is mostly outdated space that requires lots of investment to even appear partially attractive compared to the new stuff on McKinney Ave.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Aug 2020 21:02

THRILLHO wrote:This project as a whole feels like something that hinges a lot on presumed area growth set into motion by the high speed rail station and the proposed deck park. In the meantime, I can see just one of these buildings getting built while the rest wait for a reason to exist.

I also feel like this project is a bit ambitious as well, but if we can just get one tower to break ground sometime in the next year, I'd be pretty happy with that.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 12 Aug 2020 12:48

Looks like all the videos have been taken down.

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 25 Oct 2020 23:08

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Oct 2020 23:26

"The NewPark development is an 18-acre mixed-use development proposed on the southern side of Downtown, just south of City Hall. The proposed development will occupy existing surface
parking lots.

The new district will combine office, residential, retail, and educational uses to create an exciting, vibrant district in an area that has long sat vacant and under-utilized.

Phase I of the development is a 38-story mixed-use tower which includes 240,000 square feet of office, a 245
room hotel, 268 apartments, and ground-level retail.

Key urban design considerations include the design of the streetscape around the base of the building, the design and treatment of the proposed pedestrian mews where Browder Street exists today, and the integration of the project within surrounding existing and proposed amenities
such as the Convention Center, City Hall, and the proposed deck parks."

eburress

Postby eburress » 26 Oct 2020 00:07

That'd be pretty awesome if it happens! Fingers crossed!

R1070

Postby R1070 » 26 Oct 2020 08:53

Let’s get the dirt movin’.

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 26 Oct 2020 10:02

Wow this would be awesome

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Oct 2020 11:32

This is further than they were before and it is a very mixed use tower with office hotel and residential. Its not filling construction documents or turning dirt but hey its better than just a fantasy fly through video. They actually submitted something for review.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 26 Oct 2020 11:44

Would love to see this part of Downtown activated.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 26 Oct 2020 11:52

I watched the entire boring Urban Design Peer Review video from Friday on this. I say boring, but, really not - if you're interested in these things like we are. Just long, haha. Towards the end, one reviewer couldn't stop ripping them a new one on placement of phase 1 (should be where phase 2 is, fire station variable will be a potential missing tooth, a lot more about the whole district to include "possibly a mistake for the next 100 years" - something to that effect). But, anyway, it was interesting to watch and listen to, and, nice to see this moving along. There was a lot of feedback and so many variables/assumptions about CC/I-30/HSR plans nearby.

Ace

Postby Ace » 26 Oct 2020 12:09

Cbdallas wrote:Would love to see this part of Downtown activated.

Never happen. Downtown is located too far away from the bubble that includes the Park Cities, Knox Park, Turtle Creek, and Uptown. Too risky! Downtown has been a shrinking office market for over thirtyfive years. Dallas has an incredible amount of upscale! I don't see future investment in Knox spreading to Henderson. And there is not near enough cheering going on in and around this neighborhood. CAMPAIGNING by way of breaking windows, looting, turning over cars, and shooting people has thrown central Dallas, perception wise, way way back in those black and white video days. Same old social agenda arguing for centralized control implemented from the District of Columbia. Like putting out California fires on national lands from thousands of miles away in Washington.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 26 Oct 2020 14:17

Newpark.Tower.jpg

This is the rendering of Newpark Tower #1 that has been discussed. Dallas Morning News says construction on this tower will hopefully start in 2021. I guess I was wrong about this development's future. The South side of Downtown, coupled with the East Quarter 24 Building, could see a real boost in the coming decade for this long ignored area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rono3849 on 26 Oct 2020 23:51, edited 1 time in total.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 26 Oct 2020 14:38

rono3849 wrote:Newpark.Tower.jpg

This is the rendering of Newpark Tower #1 that has been discussed. Dallas Morning News says the tower will start in early 2021. I guess I was wrong about this development's future. The South side of Downtown, coupled with the East Quarter 24 Building, could see a real boost in the coming decade for this long ignored area.

Although Steve Brown is prone to exaggeration, in this case he didn't. What he actually said was that "The developers hope to break ground on the project in 2021."

Developers tend to have a lot of hope. ;-)

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Oct 2020 16:48

I also hope to win the lottery. What is realistic so far is what I have in my savings account and as a Millennial ain't much.

RodB

Postby RodB » 26 Oct 2020 21:41

Don't hold your breath with this developer. Lots of talk over the years but no cranes have gone up.

willyk

Postby willyk » 26 Oct 2020 21:56

Given that there are 0 sq ft of office space currently under lease in this neighborhood, might it make more sense to prove up the market with a few nicely done 5-8 story buildings, THEN go tall?

Just asking.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 26 Oct 2020 22:20

willyk wrote:Given that there are 0 sq ft of office space currently under lease in this neighborhood, might it make more sense to prove up the market with a few nicely done 5-8 story buildings, THEN go tall?

Just asking.

I think this developer is making a hard push for the EL centro bid. I think DCCD being the main tenant is the play here, I don't think they're shooting for corporate relocations.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 26 Oct 2020 23:41

Obviously anything is better than nothing, but this reminds me way too much of the W Hotel in Victory Park...

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 26 Oct 2020 23:55

maconahey wrote:Obviously anything is better than nothing, but this reminds me way too much of the W Hotel in Victory Park...

We can only hope this area could be half as successful as Victory Park. There's a lot of open land South of City Hall, so sky's the limit.

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 27 Oct 2020 08:40

The developers behind a newly proposed mixed-use tower are already in talks with an anchor office tenant, developer Mike Hoque told the Business Journal Monday.

"We're working with a lead tenant that we’ve signed an NDA with. Look at the details of the plans. It’s very hard to do anything like this if you don’t have interest from people," said Hoque, CEO of Dallas-based development company Hoque Global.

One NewPark has a potential Anchor Tenant.

Moving along fast lol

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Oct 2020 09:10

The El Centro project to be located in a dedicated building not this one. If you watch the big fly over video posted previously they highlighted the land they are dedicating for the Central Community College DCCCD is planning as a major overhaul to their current DCCCD system. Plus I don't think even DCCCD would pay the premium office rates even as far south as this is for office space just for their admin offices until they had a sure thing for their new building on the rise. They are trying to raise the profile of DCCCD but are stuck in the courts for now on the bond.

Mr. Amsterdam

Postby Mr. Amsterdam » 27 Oct 2020 10:33

Ace wrote:

Never happen. Downtown is located too far away from the bubble that includes the Park Cities, Knox Park, Turtle Creek, and Uptown. Too risky! Downtown has been a shrinking office market for over thirtyfive years. Dallas has an incredible amount of upscale! I don't see future investment in Knox spreading to Henderson. And there is not near enough cheering going on in and around this neighborhood. CAMPAIGNING by way of breaking windows, looting, turning over cars, and shooting people has thrown central Dallas, perception wise, way way back in those black and white video days. Same old social agenda arguing for centralized control implemented from the District of Columbia. Like putting out California fires on national lands from thousands of miles away in Washington.

God, you're insufferable. I can't tell if this guy is a bot or a troll.

maconahey wrote:Obviously anything is better than nothing, but this reminds me way too much of the W Hotel in Victory Park...

Agreed. I like the W, but the city doesn't need a second. The lack of creativity in Dallas mid-high rise design is a consistent disappoint. Nearly everything that pops up in the Netherlands makes me ask, "Why can't Dallas do that?"
1999 - 2017

vman

Postby vman » 27 Oct 2020 11:00

Mr. Amsterdam wrote:
The lack of creativity in Dallas mid-high rise design is a consistent disappoint. Nearly everything that pops up in the Netherlands makes me ask, "Why can't Dallas do that?"

I feel the same way. I don't believe a building has to be tall to be of good architectural or interesting design.
I don't understand what is going on in Dallas with all of these extremely lackluster new buildings.

But in comparison to a city like Amsterdam, American architecture has become pretty boring in general. They do such great things with smaller buildings there.
Last edited by vman on 27 Oct 2020 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 27 Oct 2020 11:18

In general, I agree that a lot of these new developments lack originality. With that said, I'm okay with this particular building simply because of the location. All other surrounding buildings are quite a bit older, so this creates a nice contrast in the area, and I certianly wouldn't mind a few more new ones right here as well (which I imagine is the eventual plan for the "Smart District").

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 27 Oct 2020 11:37

The developers behind a newly proposed mixed-use tower are already in talks with an anchor office tenant, developer Mike Hoque told the Business Journal Monday.

"We're working with a lead tenant that we’ve signed an NDA with. Look at the details of the plans. It’s very hard to do anything like this if you don’t have interest from people," said Hoque, CEO of Dallas-based development company Hoque Global.

One Newpark renderings 2020
Hoque Global and Lanoha Real Estate Co. have revealed plans for a new 38-story mixed-use tower in downtown Dallas.

From DBJ this morning

Mr. Amsterdam

Postby Mr. Amsterdam » 27 Oct 2020 12:26

vman wrote:
Mr. Amsterdam wrote:
The lack of creativity in Dallas mid-high rise design is a consistent disappoint. Nearly everything that pops up in the Netherlands makes me ask, "Why can't Dallas do that?"

I feel the same way. I don't believe a building has to be tall to be of good architectural or interesting design.
I don't understand what is going on in Dallas with all of these extremely lackluster new buildings.

But in comparison to a city like Amsterdam, American architecture has become pretty boring in general. They do such great things with smaller buildings there.

Not necessarily. I was in Seattle in 2015 and was shocked at the designs of the new buildings. Dallas is in a league of its own when it comes to bland. It's like the Chili's of cities.
1999 - 2017

LBK2013

Postby LBK2013 » 27 Oct 2020 13:26

Mr. Amsterdam wrote:
vman wrote:
Mr. Amsterdam wrote:

Not necessarily. I was in Seattle in 2015 and was shocked at the designs of the new buildings. Dallas is in a league of its own when it comes to bland. It's like the Chili's of cities.

Makes sense considering Chili's was started right here in Dallas. :D

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 27 Oct 2020 13:31

Mr. Amsterdam wrote: at the designs of the new buildings. Dallas is in a league of its own when it comes to bland. It's like the Chili's of cities.

:lol:

Ace

Postby Ace » 27 Oct 2020 14:28

Mr. Amsterdam wrote:
Ace wrote:

God, you're insufferable. I can't tell if this guy is a bot or a troll.

Agreed. I like the W, but the city doesn't need a second. The lack of creativity in Dallas mid-high rise design is a consistent disappoint. Nearly everything that pops up in the Netherlands makes me ask, "Why can't Dallas do that?"

I think you are more bothered by your conscience than you are my opinion. I am trying to address what is truly bothering me now. The new downtown Dallas is actually an extension of Uptown and not vice versa. Southern downtown Dallas might as well be located on the moon considering its distance from ground zero which is THE Crescent. Downturns define the real estate market dividing it quickly into yesterday's also ran and tomorrow's hip stuff. When things wake up from today's adversity, which isn't going to be easy, some developments might wake back up and others might languish while whole new developments are considered. Neighborhoods can get old fast.
I see a slowdown happening in The Dallas Design District as it sits three steps away from The Crescent. Perhaps not. People are said to be leaving the Midwest and Northeast by the droves.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 27 Oct 2020 15:57

So, anyway, I know it's a hard sell and no developer should be expected to be a part of it - but, seems like a dandy opportunity to rebuild the fire station at the same time to an absolute top-notch facility bordering on showcase. At least, it sounds like a nice idea and maybe just that. And, plus, going by some interesting conversation during the UD Peer Review Board meeting - the expected public engagement of an active fire station enveloped by a mixed-use development semi-attached would be interesting to say the least. Even better if there actually is a deck park over a rebuilt I-30 someday nearby.

Some construction tracking data:

Code: Select all

Reported: 10/27/2020
Project Title   
Track Project
Newpark Mixed-Use Development
Project Type      New Construction
Physical Address      Canton Street  Map
City, State (County)      Dallas, TX 75201   (Dallas County)
Category(s)      Commercial, Residential
Sub-Category(s)      Apartments/Condominiums, Hotel/Motel, Office, Retail
Contracting Method      General Contractor to Subcontract.
Project Status      Construction Documents, Construction Start Expected first quarter 2021
Estimated Value      Greater than $10,000,000 CJ's Estimate
Owner

Hoque Global   Website   Analysis   
1717 Main Street
Dallas, TX 75201   (214) 461-1681
Architect

Merriman Anderson Architects   Website   Analysis   
300 North Field Street
Dallas, TX 75202   (214) 987-1299
fax: (214) 987-2138
General Contractor

Moss Construction   Website   Analysis   
6950 TPC Drive - Suite 300
McKinney, TX 75070   (855) 360-6677
Details      Retail, New Construction, Office, 225,000 SF New Construction, Apartments/Condominiums, New Construction, 268 Unit(s), Hotel/Motel, New Construction, 245 Unit(s), 38 Stories Above Grade, New Construction.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 27 Oct 2020 22:37

newpark.twr.jpg

Another view of the proposed Newpark Tower #1, which is now being discussed as a real development that is hoped to break ground in 2021. I think both the housing & hotel portions of the development have good prospects due to its proximity to City Hall. I could also see the offices in the tower being perfect spots for legal businesses associated with governmental activities for both the city & county of Dallas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 28 Oct 2020 06:29

The potential of the location is finally paying off. ATT's destination is an easy walk, too. The convention center is finally getting the adjacent destinations it needs, becoming more competitive. And the HSR station, also walking distance.... watch this side of town surge for a generation.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 28 Oct 2020 08:28

tamtagon wrote:The potential of the location is finally paying off. ATT's destination is an easy walk, too. The convention center is finally getting the adjacent destinations it needs, becoming more competitive. And the HSR station, also walking distance.... watch this side of town surge for a generation.

Yep. There is also the potential for some additional deck parks in this area, which will really help this part of town flourish!

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 28 Oct 2020 08:33

This is really a big deal for Downtown. Such a nice anchor to move focus toward the southern rim of the CBD. Exciting times ahead!

eburress

Postby eburress » 28 Oct 2020 08:57

Agreed! Plus, as far as I know there are no height limits down this direction!

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 28 Oct 2020 10:45

Still pessimistic. But this one is starting feel like it has a real chance of becoming a reality. I hope it happens.

I just wish KBH gets destroyed and we build an actual neighborhood instead.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 28 Oct 2020 14:10

Could the possible tenant be CBRE?? Posted this in another thread but they are relocating from Los Angeles. Dallas snags another Fortune 500! I know they already occupy space on McKinney Ave but they might be looking for a new higher profile location in the next few years??

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... ation.html

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 28 Oct 2020 14:19

That was my first thought too, but seems so / too far out, especially as the Biz Journal is already reporting a move? Another destination that popped into my head is the new Hillwood building under construction in Victory Commons.

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 28 Oct 2020 14:21

Or the Link at Uptown. I'd be surprised if they moved to the burbs given their and their competitors' current locations here. But who knows

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 28 Oct 2020 14:45

CBRE also owns Trammel Crow, so they could possibly move both companies under one roof... But, after reading the DMN article it doesn't really sound like much of a relocation. The CEO already splits his time between here & LA and the article indicates it wont really bring any new jobs. Sounds like just an address change at best. Still another Fortune 500 though!

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 28 Oct 2020 17:29

jetnd87 wrote:Or the Link at Uptown. I'd be surprised if they moved to the burbs given their and their competitors' current locations here. But who knows
I thought about that too.. but I hope they choose Smart District.

dbent

Postby dbent » 28 Oct 2020 19:58

Internal sources suggest2401 McKinney Ave. which is being developed byTrammell Crow.

clcrash19

Re: Downtown Dallas: Newpark Dallas/Smart District

Postby clcrash19 » 28 Oct 2020 22:00

2401 mckinney avenue development i heard as well for CBRE.

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 28 Oct 2020 22:00

2401 mckinney avenue development i heard as well for CBRE.

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 29 Oct 2020 00:24

Say whatever you want about this project good or bad, but this project(at full buildout) will expand the the ever growing Dallas skyline in a big way. Yea the creativity may not be there with cookie cutter buildings but I believe this project will be the start of a transformative time for Dallas IMO. Looking forward to this project.