Could Dallas land Amazon HQ '2'?

whi5125

Re: Could Dallas land Amazon HQ '2'?

Postby whi5125 » 19 Oct 2017 15:29

CRE_Investor wrote:I have no inside information other than a brief discussion with a former high ranking person from Amazon's real estate department, but based on his insight I'm calling my shot right now that Atlanta ends up winning HQ2. The next tier cities would be Philly, Boston, or DC. I think they want to be in the eastern time zone with better access to Europe (major growth initiative) and have a headquarters presence on both sides of the US.

Atlanta is the only real threat to Dallas's bid, but their traffic situation and hideousness weather hurts a lot. Also I dont think it has any advantage to Dallas for labor pool, in my opinion Dallas has an advantage there, and SEC schools are largely jokes academically outside of a few, Texas A&M being one of the exceptions...which is a point in favor of Dallas. Really Atlanta's only major advantage is being on the East coast should that be what Amazon wants, at which case no city outside of the East coast ever had a shot and this whole thing is just a farce. And politics in Georgia have many of the same issues of Texas, and likely worse if that is a factor. Then there is the sticking issue of racism still being alive and well there doesnt help either, though I dont see it as big of an issue in deciding where to locate an HQ.

But if they dont want to only be on the East coast and this is a true open contest....Philly doesnt have a shot. Sure it has done a lot to improve itself but the city of brotherly shove is too expensive to live in, shortage of available land, traffic, and issues of being able to house 50k employees easily on top of how much more it costs to operate and develop land there vs Texas.

Mikle

Postby Mikle » 19 Oct 2017 17:39

Here is another joint bid from Long Beach/Huntington Beach. LB was also included in the LA regional presentation: https://go.twitch.tv/videos/183135017

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Oct 2017 17:40

whi5125

Postby whi5125 » 19 Oct 2017 18:14

Will Dallas submit their own bid independent of the DFW proposal ?

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 19 Oct 2017 18:18

Not sure if Atlanta’s was actually posted:

https://youtu.be/LpvlxV8PUDA

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 19 Oct 2017 20:56

DC's video was terrible. LB was original.
DFW's was predictable. Atlanta was even more predictable. Where's Boston's and Austin's vids?

Philly's was the best

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 19 Oct 2017 22:17

CRE_Investor wrote:I have no inside information other than a brief discussion with a former high ranking person from Amazon's real estate department, but based on his insight I'm calling my shot right now that Atlanta ends up winning HQ2. The next tier cities would be Philly, Boston, or DC. I think they want to be in the eastern time zone with better access to Europe (major growth initiative) and have a headquarters presence on both sides of the US.

I will scream if it's Atlanta. Philly, I can understand. Same with Boston. DC, I guess, but an annoying pick. Atlanta.. hell no.

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 20 Oct 2017 01:45

tanzoak wrote:
I will scream if it's Atlanta. Philly, I can understand. Same with Boston. DC, I guess, but an annoying pick. Atlanta.. hell no.

Why not Atlanta?

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 20 Oct 2017 01:47

Waldozer wrote:
tanzoak wrote:

Why not Atlanta?

Because it's just a worse version of Dallas.

I guess their higher ed is better, but that small sliver essentially being a deciding factor would make it all the more aggravating.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 20 Oct 2017 08:40

Accorrding to Moody's Atlanta and Austin score big in quality of life.. I find that hard to believe that they rank that high in comparison to other metros

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 Oct 2017 08:48

The urban environment in Atlanta continues to run ahead of Dallas, despite the Collin County Pace of development in the Uptown/Downtown area.

Urban Atlanta has a built-in advantage over Dallas with all the state capitol activity and two large universities in the city, and one next door. Atlanta, mostly, is a city in a forest, foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, and that makes beautiful neighborhoods. Downtown Atlanta's Centennial Olympic Park host a formidable collection of tourist destination/activities including professional Football, Futbol, Basketball, and acclaimed Aquarium, College Football Hall of Fame, The Center for Civil and Human Rights Museum.

Comparing the weather of Dallas to Atlanta is like comparing the weather of Chicago to Minneapolis. Summers in Dallas are worse, Winters in Dallas are better. It evens out for sure.

Traffic in Atlanta is insane, not like the 405, but heading in the direction. I agree the Old South racism & bigotry flexes stronger and seeps further into the none-of-that-stupidity bubble of any big city than it does in Dallas, but it's nothing to preach about. It's almost like a competitive sport for some folks.

I'd say the case is as easily made that Dallas is worse than Atlanta, as would be that Atlanta is worse than Dallas. I still prefer Dallas, there's a pioneer spirit genetic to Texas towns that's mostly absent in the South, a curiosity for sure, compelling and comforting. A general sense of optimism and making it. Anyway, Go Dallas!

electricron

Postby electricron » 20 Oct 2017 10:18

Amazon executives are progressives politically, they are not going to wish to live in a conservative area. So we should drop most of the South, including Texas, and the Midwest from the prospective candidates.

I’m thinking central-southern Florida and the D.C. suburbs of northern Virginia would be the only acceptable locales in the South. As for the Midwest, only the politically progressive cities would be acceptable, like Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit, and Cleveland.

I suggest looking at the latest red-blue election map and crossing out all the cities colored red and looking at those colored blue, would be a great place to start looking for Amazon’s second home.

The Austin area may talk a great progressive game, may be blue on the election map, but when it becomes time to act and spend, they act and spend conservatively. I believe Austin will appear too purple for them to choose to move there.

I could be entirely wrong, time will tell, but that’s my opinion of where they will choose to go.

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 20 Oct 2017 10:33

On Tuesday, news broke that Google’s parent company, Alphabet, would build a 12-acre "smart district" (with a full build-out of 800 acres) on Toronto’s eastern waterfront via its Sidewalk Labs company. This effort is the ultimate in "city maker" building.

Does this help or hinder Toronto's chances at Amazon's HQ2?

Article: https://www.wired.com/story/google-sidewalk-labs-toronto-quayside/
Last edited by Cord1936 on 20 Oct 2017 10:46, edited 1 time in total.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 20 Oct 2017 11:02

Wow, good for Toronto! I'm honestly not sure if it helps or hurts them. With a company as big as Amazon, I'm not sure if they really care whether or not they are in close proximity to other big companies. When it comes to start-ups, I understand that they prefer to be around other smaller/medium sized companies, but I don't necessarily think this applies to companies on the scale of Amazon and Google. If I had to guess, this hurts Toronto's chances, but probably not too much.

electricron wrote:The Austin area may talk a great progressive game, may be blue on the election map, but when it becomes time to act and spend, they act and spend conservatively. I believe Austin will appear too purple for them to choose to move there.

Lived in Austin for two years. It's about as blue as Dallas, honestly. The people there do indeed talk a great progressive game, but the reality seems to be they are about as liberal as any other large city in the state. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's not a drastic enough difference to really sway a company to move there over DFW.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 20 Oct 2017 11:19

electricron wrote:Amazon executives are progressives politically, they are not going to wish to live in a conservative area. So we should drop most of the South, including Texas, and the Midwest from the prospective candidates.

I think Gender Identity politics may come and bite Texas candidates.

An East Coast city will land it most definitely.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 20 Oct 2017 11:58

When it comes to Amazon HQ2, Moody's thinks Austin has the best shot
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news ... ustin.html

I haven't seen too many of these 'lists', but DFW doesn't seem to be ranked all that high or ever listed on the ones I have seen.

I do think DFW does have a lot of things going for it, but perhaps I'm just biased after living here and following only Dallas development so far.

Anyway, I know this list means nothing. Honestly I'd be shocked if Austin got it, but, I also think I'm being way too optimistic about DFW's chances as well.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 20 Oct 2017 12:22

If Texas is too conservative for Amazon then so be it... I think the argument could be made that what might not be attractive to Amazon is also the thing that has helped us attract a number of companies to the State! People still keep flocking here so it can't be all that bad. I think we tend to sell ourselves short sometimes on quality of life as well. I've met a number of people that have moved to DFW from all over the country, and the vast majority of them absolutely love it here!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 20 Oct 2017 12:57

whi5125

Postby whi5125 » 20 Oct 2017 13:33

DPatel304 wrote:When it comes to Amazon HQ2, Moody's thinks Austin has the best shot

I haven't seen too many of these 'lists', but DFW doesn't seem to be ranked all that high or ever listed on the ones I have seen.

I do think DFW does have a lot of things going for it, but perhaps I'm just biased after living here and following only Dallas development so far.

Anyway, I know this list means nothing. Honestly I'd be shocked if Austin got it, but, I also think I'm being way too optimistic about DFW's chances as well.

Austin just doesnt make any sense. They dont meet the requirements at all Amazon laid out. People are just so fixated on Austin being a hippy paradise (its not, but people like to think it is) and a techy destination that they wont consider anywhere else in Texas.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Oct 2017 14:07

whi5125 wrote:
DPatel304 wrote:When it comes to Amazon HQ2, Moody's thinks Austin has the best shot

Austin just doesnt make any sense. They dont meet the requirements at all Amazon laid out. People are just so fixated on Austin being a hippy paradise (its not, but people like to think it is) and a techy destination that they wont consider anywhere else.

I agree even if Dallas doesn't get the Amazon HQ. It won't be Austin. It has more negatives than checks. Austin doesn't even rank on many of the lists except for the lovesick tech elite who love to party there on the weekends. I understand why people have this love affair of Austin I do but it has no International Airport, has lackluster mass transit in some ways worse than DART and doesn't have the hiring capacity. They do have good recreation aka the Lake, trails and more connected bike infrastructure plus some good arts and entertainment and they do have UT but that's where the positives drop off. Their business environment is nowhere as good all you have to do is look at the UBER/LYFT fight that made national headlines. While that deal eventually settled the local government was hostile to what appeared to be a progressive transit idea.

The advantage of being in Dallas is you can still go to Austin easily and hire away from their smaller tech community if you need to. The advantage doesn't work the same on the Austin side and Amazon has been clear they are not interested in waiting on the city to catch up to their checklist when so many things are coming up short in Austin. The advantage in Dallas is that we have workable checks on those boxes and with additional short-term investment they can be stronger solutions.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

willyk

Postby willyk » 20 Oct 2017 14:08

whi5125 wrote:

Austin just doesnt make any sense. They dont meet the requirements at all Amazon laid out. People are just so fixated on Austin being a hippy paradise (its not, but people like to think it is) and a techy destination that they wont consider anywhere else in Texas.

Everyone who looks at relos knows you cannot build or run a big company in Austin.

Regional fundamentals are at work here. The same fundamentals that have driven so many companies to move or expand here, and not in the other places on the list, are in play for Amazon too. Or put another way, if Austin, Atlanta, Philly, Rochester and Pittsburgh are such great locales, why aren’t there tons of companies moving there already?

PS I don’t undertand why analysts keep saying we don’t have a Tier 1 university. UTD is Tier 1 and it has great engineering and management programs that are a perfect fit for Amazon.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 20 Oct 2017 14:18

willyk wrote:PS I don’t undertand why analysts keep saying we don’t have a Tier 1 university. UTD is Tier 1 and it has great engineering and management programs that are a perfect fit for Amazon.

UNT, UTA and UTD are all Tier 1. Bad reporting.

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/02/02 ... negie-tie/

They may mean the city itself. But whether or not the University is in the city center or not..shouldn't matter.
Last edited by Tivo_Kenevil on 20 Oct 2017 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 20 Oct 2017 14:19

whi5125 wrote:Austin just doesnt make any sense. They dont meet the requirements at all Amazon laid out. People are just so fixated on Austin being a hippy paradise (its not, but people like to think it is) and a techy destination that they wont consider anywhere else in Texas.

I 100% agree, I was just simply sharing. I think my main point in my post, is that DFW is not on the list at all. Again, that doesn't mean anything, but, lately, I've been way too optimistic, and I think I need to dial back on the expectations. I don't think it'll go to Austin, but there is a good chance it won't go to DFW as well.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Oct 2017 14:31

The good thing is DFW has three of those universities while Austin only has UT. I am not saying UT doesn't stand on its own but the potential when you have three Tier 1 Universities in one major metropolitan region is quite a boon.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 20 Oct 2017 14:38

cowboyeagle05 wrote:The good thing is DFW has three of those universities while Austin only has UT. I am not saying UT doesn't stand on its own but the potential when you have three Tier 1 Universities in one major metropolitan region is quite a boon.

I only mentioned the public universities.

TCU and SMU are also tier 1 (private).

...Not to mention DFW is an HR away from another little school in Waco.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 20 Oct 2017 15:26

DFW does have universities, but they're not exactly top-tier.

Looking at engineering grad programs, we have UTD at #63, UTA #73, SMU #104, which is fine, but no top-tiers like Boston (MIT #1, Harvard #23), Atlanta (#9 GTech), Philly (UPenn #19), or DC (JHU #19, UM #24).

For general undergrad top 100s, we have 2: SMU #61 and TCU #78. Boston has 7, DC has 5, Philly has 3, and Atlanta has 3. And Atlanta's three are Emory #21, Georgia Tech #34, and Georgia #54, all more highly-ranked than ours.

Obviously, rankings aren't everything, but I think it's pretty clear that we suffer in both quantity and quality in comparison to our competition.

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 22 Oct 2017 13:13

Dallas also has UT Southwestern Medical Center which is one of the top medical research centers in the world. The most recent ranking has it at number 5 behind MIT.

Of the top 50 institutions identified in this year’s list, 38 are in the U.S. High-scorers beyond the top three include the University of Massachusetts Medical School (fourth), the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (fifth), and the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel (sixth).

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles. ... nnovation/

That said, Dallas does not have the kind of top tier universities that attract the kind of world class talent Amazon wants. The schools mentioned - SMU, UTD, TCU, UNT, and Baylor - may be strong or becoming strong at one thing or another, but, overall, they lack resources and suffer compared to the top universities in other metros, even Austin and Houston. There’s no Rice in Dallas. There’s no major flagship university. There’s no Georgia Tech or Stanford. The only school here that attracts the top talent in the United States is UT Southwestern, but Amazon isn’t interested in that kind of talent generator.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 22 Oct 2017 16:50

Waldozer wrote:That said, Dallas does not have the kind of top tier universities that attract the kind of world class talent Amazon wants.

And what top tier University does Amazon have at it's current HQ location? .. The University of Washington?..That's not exactly Harvard either.

Do you really think a company like Amazon will struggle in finding qualified, top tier talent in any major metropolitan area?.. I don't.

People will be moving from all over to come because of Amazon. Happens all the time a major company relocates.

Dallas has enough Tier 1 universities to adequately fill up enough positions that any company would require.

Most of the positions will not require Phds, and many jobs will go to current Amazon employees. They'd be better off in Dallas than Austin if you ask me.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 23 Oct 2017 00:11

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Waldozer wrote:That said, Dallas does not have the kind of top tier universities that attract the kind of world class talent Amazon wants.

And what top tier University does Amazon have at it's current HQ location? .. The University of Washington?..That's not exactly Harvard either.

Do you really think a company like Amazon will struggle in finding qualified, top tier talent in any major metropolitan area?.. I don't.

People will be moving from all over to come because of Amazon. Happens all the time a major company relocates.

Dallas has enough Tier 1 universities to adequately fill up enough positions that any company would require.

Most of the positions will not require Phds, and many jobs will go to current Amazon employees. They'd be better off in Dallas than Austin if you ask me.

It's not a deal-breaker by any means, but it's not like it doesn't matter. It's a definite disadvantage. It's more of a hassle and more expensive to recruit people from outside the area.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 23 Oct 2017 02:26

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:And what top tier University does Amazon have at it's current HQ location? .. The University of Washington?..That's not exactly Harvard either.

True, but wasn't Amazon founded in Seattle? Meaning, when they were starting out, they didn't have the luxury of being so selective on location (unlike Amazon today). Perhaps being near a large university was important to them, but, as a smaller company, they just happened to be in Seattle and simply just decided to expand in their current location, rather than trying to relocate so soon.

Alex Rodriguez

Postby Alex Rodriguez » 23 Oct 2017 10:38

Not sure how UT, A&M, Tech, Baylor, UH, Rice, OU, OSU, Ark all being within 5 hour drive, and DFW being both a huge feeder and huge alumni base for those universities doesn't count for something. The Entirety of the Southwest Conference, basically a Power Five Conference, was within a 5 hour drive of DFW.

And within DFW itself you have TCU, SMU, UNT, UTD, UTA. I think the DFW area should have the University aspect covered.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 23 Oct 2017 11:17

^es la verdad

UT is in Austin, TA&M is in College Station, both are in the Dallas Trading Area. Things are spread out, especially compared to the North East, but the much of the South Central US, probably more than half, still funnels through Dallas.

Austin certainly feels more "liberal" than Dallas, but it's not, they're about the same. The coolness factor of Austin sure does a body good, but it's constrained by that small town reality.

Dallas should make the finals of this competition. But there's still that ridiculous stank of corporate welfare. What a stupid situation our politicians have allowed to pervert our communities. Paying the fat cats to be fat cats should be a punishable offense. The "financial incentives" game is exactly backward.

Anyway... I'm still calling this one for Dallas. I believe others will move to Dallas with the same or very similar business objectives upgrading service area scale of management to the Western Hemisphere, no longer separating Canada, continental United States, Mexico and Central America. Let's call it NAFTA 2.0 for sure, but politically and economically it's a move that has to happen. Dallas will be the headquarters for this, even more than it already is.

eburress

Postby eburress » 23 Oct 2017 11:49

The top tier university issue has been an issue for DFW for years, but like you said, the thing some people don't realize is that *all* of the schools in the region feed into DFW, not just the ones within the various city limits. DFW companies recruit at schools throughout the State as well as ones in the contiguous states, so schools like OU, OK State, Arkansas, Tulane, New Mexico, etc all technically feed into DFW, creating a massive talent pool.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 23 Oct 2017 12:25

tamtagon wrote:^es la verdad

UT is in Austin, TA&M is in College Station, both are in the Dallas Trading Area. Things are spread out, especially compared to the North East, but the much of the South Central US, probably more than half, still funnels through Dallas.

While I tend to agree that DFW is in pretty good shape on the university aspect of the competition, I'm pretty sure TA&M is not in the Dallas Trading Area.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 23 Oct 2017 13:14

Tucy wrote:

While I tend to agree that DFW is in pretty good shape on the university aspect of the competition, I'm pretty sure TA&M is not in the Dallas Trading Area.

I beg to differ, while it's not an official statistic take a look at where the Alumni end up (Linkedin Source)

https://imgur.com/a/BWXMM
Last edited by ContriveDallasite on 23 Oct 2017 13:16, edited 1 time in total.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 23 Oct 2017 13:16

Tucy wrote:

Thanks Tucy, it does belong in Houston, according to Rand McNally, how I goofed that one is a mystery, well, maybe not so much.

It's been a while, and according to wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_B ... ding_Areas, Austin is still in Dallas Trading Area, but San Antonio is it's own trading area. hum, that's new.

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 23 Oct 2017 13:16

I was at Kroger's yesterday and picked up a six-pack of Miller Lite to take home to watch NFL Football and was properly informed by a store employee that I couldn't buy the beer until 12 Noon. I thought to myself, Amazon would not want to HQ in a place as backward as this.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Oct 2017 13:21

I think they will survive. I certainly have. It has never curved my rate of consuming alcohol on a Sunday and I live across the street from Krogay and down the street from the gay bars.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 23 Oct 2017 13:25

ContriveDallasite wrote:
Tucy wrote:

I beg to differ, while it's not an official statistic take a look at where the Alumni end up (Linkedin Source)

I really don't know why TA&M doesn't have a stronger campus presence in DFW. Maybe the absorption of Texas Wesleyan in Fort Party Worth and expanding Dental school in East Dallas will lead to bigger things. Considering the cozy relationship with BaylorScottWhite, I've anticipated an Aggie Doctor factory in East Dallas for, like, ever. And don't get me started on the waste bin of potential at the AgriLife Research Center.

Regardless, I think we've all agreed UT and A&M count as a local university for Dallas and Houston and San Antonio. I don't think A&M could be counted as an Austin local university haha.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 23 Oct 2017 13:27

ContriveDallasite wrote:
Tucy wrote:

Um, Yeah. 72,298 in Houston. 52,130 in DFW. That pretty much supports Ranally's conclusion that Bryan-College Station (and therefore TA&M) are in Houston's major trading area, not Dallas's.
Anyone have the comparable numbers for UT?

KTuser

Postby KTuser » 23 Oct 2017 13:38

"The company has said it will make a decision next year."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-amaz ... SKBN1CS21O

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 23 Oct 2017 13:49

Of course more than just DFW schools feed graduates to DFW. The same is true for Atlanta, which is the capital of the South. It's even more true to a ridiculous extent once we're talking Philly, which is an hour train ride to NYC and Baltimore, and an hour and a half to DC. That is a truly massive talent pool of easy recruitment.

The whole point of local universities (in addition to research partnerships) is that you can take an afternoon to do some interviews instead of taking the time and expense to go on the road, you have an intern pool to draw on, you have a bunch of people who clearly want to be in the area and have developed personal networks there, etc. Just as we understand that connections matter for recruiting companies (yay Hillwood!), so too do local networks matter for recruiting people.

muncien

Postby muncien » 23 Oct 2017 16:22

texasstar wrote:I was at Kroger's yesterday and picked up a six-pack of Miller Lite to take home to watch NFL Football and was properly informed by a store employee that I couldn't buy the beer until 12 Noon. I thought to myself, Amazon would not want to HQ in a place as backward as this.

It wasn't until 2012 that the State of Washington allowed the purchase of liquor at grocery stores and such. That was a result of Costco funding a push for it that voters eventually approved. Interestingly enough, Costco also has an effort here in Texas now to get the laws changed.
As for timing of sales... Nearly all states and even local municipalities have some sort of time or day constraint. Some are more lenient than others, but ours are hardly on the 'strict' side compared to many others. I highly doubt this will play any role whatsoever in their decision.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 23 Oct 2017 16:55

The Bay Area's submission has been posted: http://documents.bayareacouncil.org/amazonbid.pdf

The utter banality and expansiveness of this document makes me think that they're not going to read a single one.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 23 Oct 2017 16:56

That said, I'm glad they're making the case for Dallas in here:

muncien

Postby muncien » 23 Oct 2017 17:28

^^^
Ha! No kidding... I think if you throw in 2016 & 2017, you'll see an even bigger spike for DFW relative to the rest of the field. It has been a BIG couple of years for tech in the eastern metroplex.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 23 Oct 2017 21:43

muncien wrote:^^^
Ha! No kidding... I think if you throw in 2016 & 2017, you'll see an even bigger spike for DFW relative to the rest of the field. It has been a BIG couple of years for tech in the eastern metroplex.

^^^^^^^
How about 40,310 tech jobs being added to the Dallas area over the last five years?

That is 25,000 more tech jobs than shown in the above graphic that relies on older data ... San Francisco probably did that on purpose to avoid highlighting how big of a tech mecca the Dallas area has in fact become and how significant the momentum is for Dallas over the last couple of years!

Dallas-Fort Worth is adding tech employees at a rate that far surpasses the amount of tech degrees produced by the area, according to CBRE.

The Dallas region’s “brain gain” is second only to the San Francisco bay area and shows DFW’s ability to retain its growing number of tech graduates while attracting new talent to the area.

And by raw tech job numbers alone, DFW ranks as the fifth largest tech labor pool in the country with a total tech labor force of 161,150.

“Our major tech clients are choosing to stay in Dallas to operate and grow their business because of the availability of tech talent,” Vaughn said. In places like San Francisco, “the competition for skilled workers is fierce and the real estate costs are enormous.”

Articles:

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2017/08/01/dallas-fort-worth-s-technology-brain-gain.html

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/11/technology/amazon-cities/index.html

HarryMoto

Postby HarryMoto » 23 Oct 2017 23:29

^I think you mean San Fernando Valley, not San Bernardino Valley?

I'd love to see Dallas get Amazon HQ2 for all the obvious reasons but also just to see the heads explode on all the hipsters in Brooklyn, Manhattan, San Francisco, Hollywood, Portland and Austin.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 23 Oct 2017 23:32

HarryMoto wrote:^I think you mean San Fernando Valley, not San Bernardino Valley?

I'd love to see Dallas get Amazon HQ2 for all the obvious reasons but also just to see the heads explode on all the hipsters in Brooklyn, Manhattan, San Francisco, Hollywood, Portland and Austin.

No worries,Amazon will go to Boston or Philly.