Could Dallas land Amazon HQ '2'?

utgf

Re: Could Dallas land Amazon HQ '2'?

Postby utgf » 15 May 2019 02:40

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 15 May 2019 06:40

Too bad JCP hasn't figured out how to use the internet for substantial growth. Taking the small, hometown route to building the innovative tech mastery necessary to keep up with Amazon a locally sourced "engineer" workgroup housed in (e.g.) Deep Ellum could save Pennys.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 15 May 2019 09:24

tamtagon wrote:Too bad JCP hasn't figured out how to use the internet for substantial growth. Taking the small, hometown route to building the innovative tech mastery necessary to keep up with Amazon a locally sourced "engineer" workgroup housed in (e.g.) Deep Ellum could save Pennys.

Right? JCP is such a missed opportunity to innovate and change. They could get back to their roots of offering "mail order" goods to smaller communities across the country, through the internet. I wonder how heavily they advertise in rural communities. Cheap billboard advertising in small cities and towns heavily pushing JCP.com online ordering for everything one could need might be untapped.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 15 May 2019 13:16

^From what I understand, the folks behind the folks running the company are stuck in Sears Roebuck mode, it's a shame. Before much longer, the resources of JCP will have been depleted beyond the point of no return; the cushion of size still gifts the ability to act with nimbleness and mobility for a while and I thought the 'Sephora Store' was an indication of updating and rebranding, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Reinventing the full service department store as a neighborhood pick-up warehouse is simply waiting to happen, Amazon hasn't made that particular transition, and is probably further away from it than someone like JCP, the opportunity is there.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 15 May 2019 14:03

tamtagon wrote:^From what I understand, the folks behind the folks running the company are stuck in Sears Roebuck mode, it's a shame. Before much longer, the resources of JCP will have been depleted beyond the point of no return; the cushion of size still gifts the ability to act with nimbleness and mobility for a while and I thought the 'Sephora Store' was an indication of updating and rebranding, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Reinventing the full service department store as a neighborhood pick-up warehouse is simply waiting to happen, Amazon hasn't made that particular transition, and is probably further away from it than someone like JCP, the opportunity is there.

The "store within a store" concept they tried several years back was interesting to me, but I don't think they went far enough with the concept. JCP has a ton of retail space and dwindling sales. If they invented completely new "stores" geared towards trendy stuff (like Gap did with Athleta and Hill City) maybe they could carve up their vast retail spaces into separate stores with separate entrances. Almost like permanent pop up space. New clothes brands, consumer goods, gourmet food, home furnishings, sky is the limit. Use the JCP platform on the back end, same supply chain and corporate support but looks and feels like a separate brand.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 04 Feb 2020 22:39

Oh boy. Here we go again.
https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local ... Jr5XerAmU4
According to sources familiar with the matter, the online retailer has been looking for what could be new construction covering up to 300,000 square feet or as low as 150,000 square feet in Dallas.

Multiple real estate sources told the Dallas Business Journal that the new construction Amazon is reportedly eyeing includes Uptown. Amazon has been in contact with developers regarding such an expansion, the sources said.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 05 Feb 2020 07:53

quixomniac wrote:Oh boy. Here we go again.
https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local ... Jr5XerAmU4
According to sources familiar with the matter, the online retailer has been looking for what could be new construction covering up to 300,000 square feet or as low as 150,000 square feet in Dallas.

Multiple real estate sources told the Dallas Business Journal that the new construction Amazon is reportedly eyeing includes Uptown. Amazon has been in contact with developers regarding such an expansion, the sources said.

Remember that Victory Commons was originally pitched to Amazon, and Hillwood seemed pretty confident about their future chances with Amazon regardless of HQ2.

At this point, I could see Amazon taking the Stack or 301 Crowdus (ReelFx) in Deep Ellum but VP is still marketed as being in Uptown, so it depends on how much cred you give to the “multiple sources” and how quickly they want the space.

vman

Postby vman » 05 Feb 2020 08:42

quixomniac wrote:Oh boy. Here we go again.

With the amount of fulfillment centers here (two more just announced this week..coincidence?), it wouldn't be surprising that an office component would be put here as well. I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 05 Feb 2020 09:28

Aren't they expanding at Galleria?

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 05 Feb 2020 10:01

The Galleria office is exclusively AWS, right? Would this new office be AWS or Amazon retail?

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 05 Feb 2020 12:32

homeworld1031tx wrote:The Galleria office is exclusively AWS, right? Would this new office be AWS or Amazon retail?

All reporting seems to suggest otherwise. Perhaps, it is AWS that is allegedly shopping for this new space.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 05 Feb 2020 14:05

Tucy wrote:
homeworld1031tx wrote:The Galleria office is exclusively AWS, right? Would this new office be AWS or Amazon retail?

All reporting seems to suggest otherwise. Perhaps, it is AWS that is allegedly shopping for this new space.

Reporting suggests what as otherwise? That the Galleria office is exclusively *not* AWS? The Galleria office is at least partially AWS Professional Services, as my brother in law and a friend both work in AWS ProServ at the Galleria office.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 05 Feb 2020 16:41

homeworld1031tx wrote:
Tucy wrote:

Reporting suggests what as otherwise? That the Galleria office is exclusively *not* AWS? The Galleria office is at least partially AWS Professional Services, as my brother in law and a friend both work in AWS ProServ at the Galleria office.

Reporting suggests that the Galleria offices are not exclusively AWS (which is what you initially posited). That is not to say (and I did not suggest) that no AWS people work in the Galleria offices. All of the stories I can find about the recently-announced expansion of the Galleria offices talk about Amazon retail, fulfillment centers etc. and make no mention of AWS.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 05 Feb 2020 16:53

Tucy wrote:
homeworld1031tx wrote:
Tucy wrote:

Reporting suggests that the Galleria offices are not exclusively AWS (which is what you initially posited). That is not to say (and I did not suggest) that no AWS people work in the Galleria offices. All of the stories I can find about the recently-announced expansion of the Galleria offices talk about Amazon retail, fulfillment centers etc. and make no mention of AWS.

Is Amazon pursuing an office in DFW that could employ hundreds?

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... s_headline

Several projects are set to come online in Uptown over the next several years. Projects heading to Uptown include a recently announced office development overlooking Klyde Warren Park and The Link at Uptown.

A bit further from Uptown, there's other fresh office stock slated for Harwood and Victory Park, in addition to a bevy of forthcoming options in Deep Ellum, such as the recently announced 301 Crowdus development.

Looking north in the Metroplex, Amazon recently expanded a lease at the Galleria, where AWS reportedly employs hundreds, the sources said.

Amazon has a sprawling, massive lineup of businesses that includes online commerce, cloud services, retail, grocery and other areas.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 05 Feb 2020 17:11

the original article says 150-300K feet.
I know the Stack is at 200K feet, anyone else know what other properties are within this scope?
Given how tech companies like to agglomerate, it wouldnt be surprising if they picked Deep Ellum.

That being said, a few "hundred" workers doesnt seem like a regional game changer.
The AWS at Galleria definitely helps them, but it doesnt feel like a regional presence.
But it would definitely be a neighborhood level game changer.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 05 Feb 2020 17:17

Tnexster wrote:
Tucy wrote:
homeworld1031tx wrote:

Is Amazon pursuing an office in DFW that could employ hundreds?

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... s_headline

Several projects are set to come online in Uptown over the next several years. Projects heading to Uptown include a recently announced office development overlooking Klyde Warren Park and The Link at Uptown.

A bit further from Uptown, there's other fresh office stock slated for Harwood and Victory Park, in addition to a bevy of forthcoming options in Deep Ellum, such as the recently announced 301 Crowdus development.

Looking north in the Metroplex, Amazon recently expanded a lease at the Galleria, where AWS reportedly employs hundreds, the sources said.

Amazon has a sprawling, massive lineup of businesses that includes online commerce, cloud services, retail, grocery and other areas.

Thank you for that.

Here's another that mentions AWS, and it answers the question as to whether the Galleria office is "exclusively AWS". (Hint: it is not exclusively AWS, at least according to Steve Brown)

"The digital retail giant has offices for its web services division and other operations in the Galleria Office Towers . . ."
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2020/01/28/amazon-growing-its-dallas-offices-with-more-galleria-space/

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 05 Feb 2020 19:58

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Feb 2020 02:56

Well, we were all wondering why Hillwood started their Victory Park project with what seemed like no lead tenant. Dallas doesn't seem to build spec office buildings despite how tight the Uptown market has gotten. Hillwood was already designing office space for Amazon on their request for Victory Park then Amazon went silent and came back announcing a larger Amazon HQ2 circus which failed in some form.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get Amazon with a promise to build out on the rest of the Hillwood Victory Park land. It wouldn't be 25,000 jobs but Amazon seems to like Dallas and DFW and the site does check their boxes, mass transit in a walkable neighborhood with room to expand attractive to Millenials and quick access to DNT for access to the burbs, which is a reality when you talk about schools. Who knows they could do what I said before open up in Austin too and let both cities get something out a statewide incentive package. That way the whole too much in one area thing is diminished but it will massively make both cities look even better to get the jobs. Dallas getting Amazon on the skyline and Uber isnt a bad image for the city within recent history.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Feb 2021 10:57

Amazon unveils plans for HQ2's second phase, to be built by Whiting-Turner

https://www.constructiondive.com/news/a ... ion%20Dive

Amazon unveiled plans Tuesday for phase two of its second headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, including the construction of four towers and surrounding amenities. The entire HQ2 project is worth $2.5 billion.
The site’s centerpiece will be a 350-foot-tall glass structure adorned with trees and foliage native to the area. The building — the tallest on the campus — has been dubbed The Helix for its shape and design. The general contractor for the second phase, called PenPlace, is Baltimore-based Whiting-Turner and the project architect is Seattle-based NBBJ.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 03 Feb 2021 12:18

I'm not the only one seeing a poop emoji right

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Feb 2021 12:22

THRILLHO wrote:I'm not the only one seeing a poop emoji right

:lol:

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 04 Feb 2021 01:36

I'll never be able to unsee that from now on :lol:

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 04 Feb 2021 08:35

maconahey wrote:

I'll never be able to unsee that from now on :lol:

Right? :lol:

Pinhi

Postby Pinhi » 04 Feb 2021 14:35

Thanksgiving Square II?

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 04 Feb 2021 15:00

I hope they build it just as proposed and it becomes known as the poop emoji building. I bet somebody decides it's not a good look but I do like the curved glass and heavily planted concept.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 04 Feb 2021 16:23

I assume if they had came to Dallas they would have gone with a completely different design, but can you just imagine this building at any of the proposed Dallas sites? Gaudiness has no problem finding a home here in Dallas, but this looks ridiculous even for us. Truly one of the goofiest looking buildings I've seen in a while and it really has nothing to do with its shiny turdiness.