Could Dallas land Amazon HQ '2'?

joshua.dodd

Re: Could Dallas land Amazon HQ '2'?

Postby joshua.dodd » 10 Feb 2019 18:37

lakewoodhobo wrote:As long as Fort Worth continues to market itself as cowtown and "where the west begins" there will be no Austin-like cool factor.

I've always assumed Denton would be the next Austin.

Hopefully it will stay that way.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 10 Feb 2019 18:57

Corpus is the next Beaumont-Port Arthur! Actually, I've always wondered what was keeping Corpus from really taking off; now with liquid natural gas poised to activate the port, maybe it'll stick. Camping at the natural seashore during a full moon was one of my absolute favorite times. Hopefully the industrial boom will be balanced by equally expanding eco-tourism. I'm looking at most of the land between Rockport and Victoria/Port Lavaca turning more nature preserve.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 10 Feb 2019 22:26

tamtagon wrote:Corpus is the next Beaumont-Port Arthur! Actually, I've always wondered what was keeping Corpus from really taking off; now with liquid natural gas poised to activate the port, maybe it'll stick.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CORP548PCPI

Their per capita personal income is above El Paso and Abilene but below Amarillo, San Antonio, or Beaumont MSAs. It’s a pleasant shore city (to me) but not on the verge of a value-added diversification gold rush.

Back to DFW!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 12 Feb 2019 17:25

I used to think DFW was only in the 'race' as leverage against cities like NYC and DC. Could it be the other way around, and NYC is actually the one being used for leverage? A little far-fetched, but I wouldn't put it past a company who had a year long spectacle for the HQ2 location.

If they don't end up in NYC (which I still think they will), I'm sure that was just part of the plan all along. I refuse to believe that a massive decision such as this wouldn't be 100% certain at this point. They had a whole year to iron out the details between NYC and, if there were some disagreements, they didn't have to go public with the decision.

SlandersonCooper

Postby SlandersonCooper » 14 Feb 2019 10:56

Amazon Pulls Out of Planned NYC Campus

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/nyre ... ueens.html

DFW, #GirdYourLoins!

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 14 Feb 2019 10:57

SlandersonCooper wrote:Amazon Pulls Out of Planned NYC Campus

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/nyre ... ueens.html

DFW, #GirdYourLoins!

Yep, it's breaking all over the place. Just got a FOX News update with the same info. WOW!

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 14 Feb 2019 10:58

"We do not intend to re-open the HQ2 search at this time. We will proceed as planned in Northern Virginia and Nashville, and we will continue to hire and grow across our 17 corporate offices and tech hubs in the U.S. and Canada."

So do you believe them? If so, DFW's still out...

dallasrookie

Postby dallasrookie » 14 Feb 2019 10:59

jetnd87 wrote:"We do not intend to re-open the HQ2 search at this time. We will proceed as planned in Northern Virginia and Nashville, and we will continue to hire and grow across our 17 corporate offices and tech hubs in the U.S. and Canada."

So do you believe them? If so, DFW's still out...

I see Austin as the front-runner.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 14 Feb 2019 11:05

Well I mean the reality is they don't need to "re-open" the search. I mean they already have all of the information they need. So, either they're telling the truth or they already know where they want to go. I think in the end they'll just end up adding to their footprint and adding more jobs in Virginia.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Feb 2019 11:10

Amazon Drops Plans For New York Headquarters https://n.pr/2X3QfUj

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Feb 2019 11:19

Also ....ROFL LOLOLOLOL!

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 14 Feb 2019 11:26

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Also ....ROFL LOLOLOLOL!

Also ....ROFL LOLOLOLOLOL!

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 14 Feb 2019 11:34

Whoa! I was not expecting that at all...LOL

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 14 Feb 2019 11:35

Think there are a whole raft of articles being written today about laughter-free real estate investors and developers in Queens who have already signed on the dotted line for new deals there since the autumn announcement?

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 14 Feb 2019 11:36

Amazon knew they were doomed anyway so they made the first move to withdraw rather than suffering the embarrassment of a public rejection:

Quote from article below: "This past month, a leading critic of New York subsidies for Amazon’s plan to build a second headquarters in Queens was nominated to serve on a state board with the power to reject the project."

https://pix11.com/2019/02/14/amazon-cancels-plans-for-nyc-headquarter/

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Feb 2019 11:38

This whole thing was such a disaster for Amazon... Bezos is taking L's left and right...

Divorce..
No Prenuptial...
Tabloid Fodder....
Blackmail...
HQ 2 Protests...
And Queens Rejection!

Rough 2019!

Mgreen15

Postby Mgreen15 » 14 Feb 2019 11:56

Obviously HQ2 won’t be here. But, I wonder if this opens the door for Amazon to re-engage in talks with the smart district/other proposals. Delivering 50,000, let alone 25,000 new jobs seems like a pipe dream, but they could certainly be the major tenant for any of these prospective large developments around downtown.
Last edited by Mgreen15 on 14 Feb 2019 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 14 Feb 2019 13:20

The skeptic in me thinks this is still all a part of the plan. I just don't believe that Amazon would make a big spectacle of this HQ2 thing, decide to with NYC without being 100% certain. If things had not been 100% agreed upon with NYC, then they could have just waited to make their public announcement.

I really think NYC is just being used as leverage here against the other city they want to go to. Maybe they might wait on the next city for a year or even longer, though, but I still think it's all apart of the plan.

art_suckz

Postby art_suckz » 14 Feb 2019 13:57

Another angle: some locals are claiming they were fine with HQ plan and that outsiders were being bussed in to sink the deal.
To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.

whit5125

Postby whit5125 » 14 Feb 2019 14:21

I bet this was part of the plan but it kind of is a pointless and stupid plan.

I do think there is a small chance that a runner up city like Dallas quietly gets a campus with a couple of thousand or more employees, because they did just chop their planned growth in half by basically dropping the new York office....unless they want to double the Virginia site.

Plus we do know Amazon board members have said "wow it was easier in Dallas" when shit started to hit the fan in NYC.

it's a small chance , but I bet you there is a chance something gets put in a runner up city , remember Nashvilles 5 k center basically came out of the blue.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Feb 2019 14:23

art_suckz wrote:Another angle: some locals are claiming they were fine with HQ plan and that outsiders were being bussed in to sink the deal.

Outside of the politicians, I don't know of a single person in Queens who wanted them there. I highly doubt the working class families nearby wanted anything to do with HQ2. The protests were real IMO.

TBF, the 3 billion in incentives was ridiculous; given how much Bezos is worth.

I kinda think Dallas was a whore for being overly generous to Amazon. Not even Austin offered as much. I'm sure city hall is sending Bezos pics of themselves twerking as we speak to see if he reconsiders our offer.. the twerking probably reached an apex with the news this morning

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 14 Feb 2019 14:31

whit5125 wrote:I bet this was part of the plan but it kind of is a pointless and stupid plan.

I do think there is a small chance that a runner up city like Dallas quietly gets a campus with a couple of thousand or more employees, because they did just chop their planned growth in half by basically dropping the new York office....unless they want to double the Virginia site.

Plus we do know Amazon board members have said "wow it was easier in Dallas" when shit started to hit the fan in NYC.

it's a small chance , but I bet you there is a chance something gets put in a runner up city , remember Nashvilles 5 k center basically came out of the blue.

This sounds likely. The did quietly move to the Domain in Austin as well, which is kind of in line with what you're saying. Perhaps the HQ2 was a big ruse to get the whole country to show Amazon their hand, and now Amazon can locate their HQ2 where they wanted to go all along (which is DC. There were several hints along the way all along), AND in addition to that, they can open up smaller offices in cities they find attractive (which seems to be Nashville and Austin currently).

Maybe it's already all said and done and they got what they wanted, or maybe there are a couple more cities still left in the game. I'm a bit concerned that they would pick a location like the Domain in Austin over Downtown Austin though. While jobs are jobs, I'd MUCH rather see them come to our urban core over the suburbs, especially if the city is going to be bending over backwards to get them.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 14 Feb 2019 15:52

According to an article I read, Amazon has ~500 tech workers in Dallas and around ~1000 in Austin. They could easily add thousands more to both, however no other fast growing metro in the US is set up to absorb the sheer numbers of people as Dallas is, except maybe Houston (which lags on mass transit investment and is not on Amazon's radar anyway). Say what you will about DART, but that network was an investment in the future and could easily support thousands of new residents around each station that work in the urban center if needed. Our air travel and road infrastructure are world class and high capacity. The Dallas area already adds 100k+ people each year like child's play. It takes 10 years to build a shoebox in California, and millions to build one apartment in NYC. No top 5 metro is as shovel ready for Amazon as the Dallas area.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 14 Feb 2019 16:56

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Outside of the politicians, I don't know of a single person in Queens who wanted them there. I highly doubt the working class families nearby wanted anything to do with HQ2. The protests were real IMO.

I don't know a single person in Queens who wanted them there, either. But then I don't know anyone who lives in Queens.

The numbers I've seen are a 70% positive rating from NY residents in general. The numbers in Queens are even higher.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 14 Feb 2019 17:03

70% positive rating? Where are you getting that number? The fact that Amazon is pulling out due to opposition says that number is false. Considering that state tax payers were going to fork over 48,000$ per job Amazon creates, which was going to be 25,000, I would be incredibly unhappy as well. Not to mention the company would receive tax abatements. Frankly, I hope Amazon stays far away from Dallas. We already have a big problem with giving companies 20 year tax abatements while our roads suffer and deteriorate.

muncien

Postby muncien » 14 Feb 2019 17:17

But unlike places like NYC and DC, that have very prominent downtown areas, Dallas CBD could certainly stand to benefit from a substantial Amazon presence. Why NYC or DC would give away so much? I don't know... But, I certainly see why we would.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 14 Feb 2019 17:21

joshua.dodd wrote: We already have a big problem with giving companies 20 year tax abatements while our roads suffer and deteriorate.

We already have a problem with roads deteriorating, though. Granted, Amazon will get out of taxes for a long time but that infusion of good paying salaries will have a net positive effect on the city's coffers through property taxes on their housing and sales tax on their purchases. In a city like NYC, where the infrastructure is already maxed out, I could see it being a net negative but we have room and infrastructure to spare. Even if we put all 25,000 workers in Downtown Dallas, that's only a 20% increase in the amount of people who work down there now.

20% more workers Downtown could be easily absorbed, and would create more street level dining and retail, and draw more housing to go up.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 15 Feb 2019 09:29

So basically Amazon is saying we'd rather not build at all than bring 1/2 of the HQ2 to Dallas (or Charlotte, or Chicago, or Austin, or Atlanta)… Maybe things will change, but I sort of see it as they're still not very high on Dallas or any of the other cities.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 15 Feb 2019 13:24

Kelley USA wrote:So basically Amazon is saying we'd rather not build at all than bring 1/2 of the HQ2 to Dallas (or Charlotte, or Chicago, or Austin, or Atlanta)… Maybe things will change, but I sort of see it as they're still not very high on Dallas or any of the other cities.

What I can see happening here is Amazon deciding to expand their Dallas presence by moving the Galleria staff to a new building in Victory, maybe the smaller new one by Hillwood that was originally pitched to Amazon.

It would be nothing compared to what could’ve been, but killing the second half of HQ2 may result in expanded regional centers in key cities. Surely the people at Amazon had a plan B and C.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 15 Feb 2019 13:47

Kelley USA wrote:So basically Amazon is saying we'd rather not build at all than bring 1/2 of the HQ2 to Dallas (or Charlotte, or Chicago, or Austin, or Atlanta)…

This is assuming they have been truthful and transparent with us the entire time. For all we know, HQ2 was never supposed to be 50K employees, it was only supposed to be 25K employees, and Crystal City was the one and only winner.

Also, it's not certain if this whole thing is done or not.

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 07 Mar 2019 09:38

Amazon’s 17 Tech Hubs Stand To Feast On New York’s HQ2 Leftovers
by Cameron Sperance, Bisnow Boston, March 4, 2019

Amazon’s 17 North American technology hubs are suddenly in a race for 25,000 jobs, just without the previous HQ2 spectacle.

A week after Amazon canceled plans for the Long Island City component to HQ2, Amazon Head of Worldwide Economic Development Holly Sullivan told Bisnow the company would be strategic in how it can locate all those employees in its 17 existing North American tech hubs.

That strategy will likely come down to a matter of talent, cost and business climate, which vary widely.
Leonard's study tracked shortlist cities for their likelihood of landing more corporate expansion. Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, Phoenix and Denver — all current Amazon tech hubs — comprised the top five.

“When we look at demographics, we certainly see a wave of people moving out of high-cost coastal markets to Sun Belt markets,” he said. “We do expect that trend to continue.”

Boston has the deepest talent pool, but Atlanta, Dallas and Denver have the greatest potential population growth among Amazon tech hubs and HQ2 shortlist cities. Dallas and Denver both ranked high for ease of doing business. Austin took the top spot for ease of development while Phoenix (3) and Dallas (5) also scored highly.
John Boyd thinks Dallas is well-positioned for some of the jobs slated for New York, but he also thinks Miami, although not currently an Amazon tech hub, boosted its IT appeal during the HQ2 search.
Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/national/news/of ... um=Browser

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 07 Mar 2019 10:15

"We do not intend to re-open the HQ2 search at this time. We will proceed as planned in Northern Virginia and Nashville, and we will continue to hire and grow across our 17 corporate offices and tech hubs in the U.S. and Canada."

Amazon was a little unclear if they are still interested in opening the second half of their HQ. It's entirely possible that the 'second half' of the HQ2 was just made up for leverage, NYC was never a real contender and they only wanted to be in DC this entire time. If that's the case, then I'm not surprised the NYC deal fell through, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the end of the HQ2 search entirely.

Who really knows with Amazon though. I guess I'm just saying that just because they didn't go to NYC, there's no guarantee that a HQ with 25K potential employees is still up for grabs. If it is still up for grabs, and their original choices were NYC and DC, then I'd imagine they would want to go somewhere that is equally as urban (which, from that list, would be Boston).

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 07 Mar 2019 10:29

What a win for Galleria-Midtown to kick off the struggling plan to transform Valley View into a city. I'd rather see a consolidation by Dallas City Hall, but whatever.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 07 Mar 2019 10:29

DPatel304 wrote:

Amazon was a little unclear if they are still interested in opening the second half of their HQ. It's entirely possible that the 'second half' of the HQ2 was just made up for leverage, NYC was never a real contender and they only wanted to be in DC this entire time. If that's the case, then I'm not surprised the NYC deal fell through, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the end of the HQ2 search entirely.

Who really knows with Amazon though. I guess I'm just saying that just because they didn't go to NYC, there's no guarantee that a HQ with 25K potential employees is still up for grabs. If it is still up for grabs, and their original choices were NYC and DC, then I'd imagine they would want to go somewhere that is equally as urban (which, from that list, would be Boston).

Actually, Amazon has been quite clear.

There will be no second 2nd HQ (third HQ). The jobs that would have gone to NYC will instead go to Northern Virginia, Nashville and the 17 tech hubs (which includes Dallas and Austin).

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 07 Mar 2019 10:42

Tucy wrote:Actually, Amazon has been quite clear.

There will be no second 2nd HQ (third HQ). The jobs that would have gone to NYC will instead go to Northern Virginia, Nashville and the 17 tech hubs (which includes Dallas and Austin).

Whoops, sorry, I didn't quite read the article that was just posted. For some reason I thought they were still thinking the second HQ would still come here.

My bad, that's what I get for skimming.

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 26 Mar 2019 22:39

No wonder Amazon is establishing a second major HDQ somewhere else (and growing their presence substantially in yet other major existing technology centers around the nation, like Dallas) rather than substantially growing their existing Seattle HDQ.

It is shocking when one understands the level of filth and degradation that is happening to the City of Seattle mainly due to drug addiction. And City officials turning a complete blind eye to it and ordering the police to do nothing ... regular citizens are afraid to go to parks, go Downtown, robberies of businesses are spiraling out of control ... drug dealing has soared and is done openly without fear of retribution ... sad beyond words.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
KOMO News Special: Seattle is Dying
by Eric Johnson | KOMO News | Thursday, March 14th 2019

https://komonews.com/news/local/komo-news-special-seattle-is-dying?jwsource=fb&fbclid=IwAR2mR1zqooXPlKX4U3z4mLdHZyOhYPt2apXdVbHey8x6e9ROL17UJ6jWZCg

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 27 Mar 2019 08:05

Of course I couldn't possibly have as much information as somebody who lives full time in Seattle, but my experience from my recent trip to Seattle (staying downtown) makes me suspect that that article is...rather hyperbolic, and very charged with emotional language. The author wants you to watch his documentary, that's all. Frankly, I found downtown Seattle and its parks to be quite lovely.

There's quite the opioid crisis in Massachusetts, where I recently moved from, and while the public health concerns are very legitimate, the city of Boston (another one-time contender for Amazon HQ2, and another city full of tech, new construction, and the hand-in-hand income inequality and housing problems) is hardly "dying" as a result.

Just trying to stay level-headed here.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 28 Mar 2019 09:28

Big win for Austin

Amazon is expanding its tech hub in Austin, bringing new jobs to Texas
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ama ... jobs-texas

Amazon will expand its tech hub in Austin, Texas creating 800 new jobs in the area, according to an announcement Thursday.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 28 Mar 2019 09:32

Well done for them. They have really been killing it in the tech sector lately.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 28 Mar 2019 11:05

At this point, I would rather the city's downtown advocates ask ATT about massive 'tech center' in The Cedars & Fair Park.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 28 Mar 2019 11:31

And once again they are going to the Domain in Austin which is not in the urban center and not connected by a train. I am not buying that tech is really interested in those things but only work talent. Even by going to Arlington they did not really select the truly urban area in the center of DC.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 28 Mar 2019 12:26

I'm telling you, Austin is taking over.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 28 Mar 2019 12:28

Austin becoming SFOSJ, Dallas becoming LA?

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 28 Mar 2019 12:55

tamtagon wrote:Austin becoming SFOSJ, Dallas becoming LA?

Nah Dallas is Dallas.

eburress

Postby eburress » 28 Mar 2019 13:13

I've felt there are a lot of parallels between the relationship of Dallas and Austin to that of LA and San Diego. Dallas and LA are larger, upscale, pretentious, etc while Austin and San Diego are smaller, laid-back, less image-focused, etc.

With the way Austin's tech sector is growing though, I agree with tamtagon. Dallas = LA while Austin = San Jose.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 28 Mar 2019 14:08

eburress wrote:I've felt there are a lot of parallels between the relationship of Dallas and Austin to that of LA and San Diego. Dallas and LA are larger, upscale, pretentious, etc while Austin and San Diego are smaller, laid-back, less image-focused, etc.

Those are really just stereotypes though. Outside of Uptown and Park Cities is Dallas really all that pretentious? If you go to the Cedars or Oak Cliff, it'll feel more laid-back and less image-focused than many parts of Austin. The opposite can be said about Austin too. Sure they are known for being more laid-back and less image-focused, but I just don't see that vibe there any more.

I feel like both Dallas and Austin and Houston are just going to keep growing but become more and more similar by the day.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 28 Mar 2019 15:32

Most generalizations are unfair, but my friends who live in Austin now have become the most pretentious, image-focused people on the planet. They are also quite obsessed with pointing out how the rest of Texas and other Texans are so inferior. Some of the things they say are truly awful and so negative. I can't even stand to go there anymore. Very high on their recent hype.

I find Dallas to be way more laid back. Sure, the mid 2000's were a bit rough when Uptown was becoming the new thing and there was an epidemic of the famed "$30k millionaire," but honestly I think a lot of those people have moved on. Many to Austin. I feel like the city is so laid back now compared to 10 years ago, despite all the growth. I think Dallas, and the Dallas gay community which I'm a part of, get an unfair reputation based on old stereotypes. Luckily, I've been vindicated by many friends who visit here from out of state, come with those preconceptions, and are proven wrong and really enjoy their time here.

It's not surprising that Amazon is adding jobs in Austin, just like it wouldn't be surprising if they added some here. I'm sure they will, considering a large part of their AWS operations are here. I do feel bad for the original Austinites who made the city "cool" and are being pushed out en-masse for something that no longer resembles the original Austin. Austin is trendy, but I don't find it original anymore. They just take whatever is trendy nationally and amplify it all over the city.

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 05 Apr 2019 18:32

Hadn't seen this until now but it was announced late Feb 2019.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazon backs out of massive Seattle office tower as questions swirl about growth plans
GeekWire, by Monica Nicklesburg, February 27, 2019

Amazon has placed a high-profile Seattle office project on the sublease market, signaling plans to scale down its growth in its hometown.

A marketing flier obtained by GeekWire confirms that the tech giant is seeking new tenants for its office space in Rainier Square, a building under construction that will one day be the city’s second-tallest skyscraper. Amazon had leased all 30 floors of office space in the building. After weeks of rumors, the listing was made official over the weekend, according to real estate brokers familiar with the marketing efforts. Amazon will make all of the office space it leased in Rainier Square available to other companies.

The skyscraper project, once an emblem of Amazon’s ambitions in Seattle’s urban core, now becomes a symbol of its uncertain future in its hometown. The move follows Amazon’s decision to back out of its HQ2 project in New York City after opposition there, amid signs that the company will focus its Seattle-area growth in nearby Bellevue, Wash.
Article: https://www.geekwire.com/2019/amazon-backs-massive-seattle-office-tower-questions-swirl-growth-plans/

Article from 2017 announcing Amazon's 772,000 sf lease in the 58 story, 1.17 million sf tower; Amazon was set to move in summer of 2020: https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon-leases-major-new-seattle-office-tower-pointing-continued-growth-hometown/
Last edited by Cord1936 on 05 Apr 2019 18:45, edited 3 times in total.

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 05 Apr 2019 18:40

Dave Clark, Amazon’s senior vice president of worldwide operations, shows off the company’s first branded airplane. (GeekWire Photo / Kevin Lisota)

Exclusive: Amazon moving thousands of employees out of Seattle, relocating key division to nearby city
GeekWire, by Monica Nickelsburg, April 3, 2019

Amazon plans to relocate its entire Seattle-based worldwide operations team to Bellevue, Wash., by 2023, adding thousands of employees to its new campus just across Lake Washington, according to an internal email obtained by GeekWire.

Moving a large and critical team away from Amazon’s Seattle headquarters is a significant relocation of employees on its own, but it’s also a weighty symbolic gesture — the clearest sign yet that the tech giant is cooling on its hometown while doubling down on a neighboring city.
Sources familiar with the plans said several thousand employees will be moving to Bellevue in the years ahead. Amazon confirmed the authenticity of the email obtained by GeekWire.
Amazon will start moving employees to Bellevue this month and will finish the migration by 2023. The company currently has 700 employees in Bellevue and more than 45,000 at its Seattle headquarters.

It would take some time for Amazon’s Bellevue team to grow to a size that rivals Seattle, but moving the worldwide operations team is a big step in that direction. The migration adds weight to the theory that Amazon is shifting its focus to Bellevue and other cities across the country amid ongoing tensions between the tech giant and its longtime hometown.
Article: https://www.geekwire.com/2019/exclusive-amazon-moving-thousands-employees-seattle-relocating-key-division-nearby-city/