Dallas Mockingbird Station

ContriveDallasite

Re: Dallas Mockingbird Station

Postby ContriveDallasite » 20 Jul 2017 13:39

This took way too long. Hopefully it will get DART to make something out of those enormous parking lots.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 20 Jul 2017 13:49

Are there plans for another bridge over 75 at some point? Two bridges seems excessive, but, at the same time the Katy Trail and White Rock lake are hugely popular trails and a strong connection between both seems very worthwhile.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Jul 2017 14:29

DPatel304 wrote:Are there plans for another bridge over 75 at some point? Two bridges seems excessive, but, at the same time the Katy Trail and White Rock lake are hugely popular trails and a strong connection between both seems very worthwhile.

It is already connected at the ground level at the McCommas Bridge over 75. We have to stop trying to solve our traffic problems by building layers upon layers of bridges it's too expensive and it's what got us in the mess we are already in. Yes, separate cars from pedestrians when it comes to sidewalks and road lanes but they have to operate on the same level. The problem in the 70's and 80's was that we thought it was smarter to completely separate pedestrians from our cars so we built underground tunnels and skyway bridges so cars could keep speeding away at 70mph. This caused more deterioration or our urban areas because it made the cars the king in every conceivable way. When in fact it's best that cars have to adapt to the reality that they have to wait on pedestrians, bikes and mass transit just as much as those three have to wait on each other. Car First culture is what got us to the lack of pedestrian accommodation in the first place. It takes time but the more our neighborhoods have to deal with all these forms of transit the safer out communities will be.

Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 2.18.32 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 20 Jul 2017 15:11

I'm familiar with this connection, but I have not taken it myself. Perhaps I need to see it for myself before I judge, but it looks like a pretty horrible connector between two extremely popular recreational trails. The whole appeal of this trail is that it is separate from cars, so having to cross over 75 must make this section very unpleasant for runners/bikers.

I agree with what you're saying, and, in general, we do want to encourage pedestrians, bikers, and cars to coexist, but this is one of the rare exceptions where I disagree with that mindset.

It doesn't have to be bridge. Honestly, if the area immediately to the west of 75 were to improve and cater more to pedestrians and connect to the trail better, I'd be happy with that as well, and that would go in line with what you're saying.

muncien

Postby muncien » 21 Jul 2017 10:12

DPatel304 wrote:I'm familiar with this connection, but I have not taken it myself. Perhaps I need to see it for myself before I judge, but it looks like a pretty horrible connector between two extremely popular recreational trails. The whole appeal of this trail is that it is separate from cars, so having to cross over 75 must make this section very unpleasant for runners/bikers.

I agree with what you're saying, and, in general, we do want to encourage pedestrians, bikers, and cars to coexist, but this is one of the rare exceptions where I disagree with that mindset.

It doesn't have to be bridge. Honestly, if the area immediately to the west of 75 were to improve and cater more to pedestrians and connect to the trail better, I'd be happy with that as well, and that would go in line with what you're saying.

The connection is pretty crappy... I took it just a few weeks ago while letting my son break in his new scooter. For starters, coming from Katy, there are no clear markers and the connection itself quite pathetic. It's the first time I tried it in a very long time and I walked right past it without seeing it. Then, it's simply a wide/barren sidewalk past parking lots leading up to the bridge... which as you can tell has no shade, or protection. There was actually guardrail damage on the bridge corner from a car crashing across the 'trail'. Then, once crossing to the other side (top/right corner of previous photo), someone actually took the time to write out in big chalk letters "THIS TRAIL SUCKS", but with each word spread out so a cyclist could easily read them one at a time (lol). The remainder leading up to Mocking bird will be improved by the new bridge, but everything I mentioned will still be pretty terrible. I happened to be walking at the time which just prolonged the experience. But I suppose if you are riding, you hardly notice it.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Jul 2017 10:54

Those stated problems can be dealt with easily but I strongly disagree with slapping another pricey bridge across even here. Our car culture populace inability to be safe with more than other cars is because we separate them too much. They have to mingle some or no one will ever learn to share the transportation network. Plus how do you expect people to see other forms of transit and grow up with them as legitimate options when you hide them away in some exclusive bike, pedestrian country club. I love the Katy Trail but we can't expect every mile to be an abandoned railway separated from everything like bowling with the bumpers on. It's a nice vacation but unrealistic. Katy Trail advocates can do a lot to focus on improving their connections to the wider system like at the McCommas bridge and not be dependent on trying to build everything in a bubble.

Dmkflyer

Postby Dmkflyer » 21 Jul 2017 14:49

In this case, I think there should be a bridge, but one that is built through philanthropy through the Friends of the Katy Trail or something. After the Mockingbird bridge is complete, this be the missing link to connecting the 2 major trail systems seamlessly.

Then the Katy Trail Connector will be the last piece linking the Trinity Trails via the Katy Trail all the way to White Rock Lake.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Jul 2017 10:13

Have you seen their long term plans that they wanted the city to partially fund? Friends of the Katy Trail want a number of bridges so that no one on the trail has to ever interact with a car intersection again and the 75 connection is not on their list. There is always another trendy white arched bridge on the horizon for these things.

willyk

Postby willyk » 24 Jul 2017 11:58

Dmkflyer wrote: Then the Katy Trail Connector will be the last piece linking the Trinity Trails via the Katy Trail all the way to White Rock Lake.

Actually...right now you can:

-Take the Katy to the south end of VP.
-There you pick up the connector under I-35 to the Continental/Ron Kirk Bridge Park.
-From there, pick up the Trinity Skyline Trail at the West Dallas Gateway.
-Follow the trail up on to the Sylvan Bridge.
-Then noodle your way over to the Trinity Strand.

That's many miles of continuous trail!

http://www.trinityrivercorridor.com/recreation/trinity-skyline-trail

Alex Rodriguez

Postby Alex Rodriguez » 24 Jul 2017 13:56

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Those stated problems can be dealt with easily but I strongly disagree with slapping another pricey bridge across even here. Our car culture populace inability to be safe with more than other cars is because we separate them too much. They have to mingle some or no one will ever learn to share the transportation network. Plus how do you expect people to see other forms of transit and grow up with them as legitimate options when you hide them away in some exclusive bike, pedestrian country club. I love the Katy Trail but we can't expect every mile to be an abandoned railway separated from everything like bowling with the bumpers on. It's a nice vacation but unrealistic. Katy Trail advocates can do a lot to focus on improving their connections to the wider system like at the McCommas bridge and not be dependent on trying to build everything in a bubble.

I completely agree. Trying to build another pricey country club bridge to make the connection between Katy and Trinity Strand has cost that project almost a decade now. It could have been done fairly inexpensively a long time ago. This bridge at Mockingbird has cost this project close to 10 years as well. At McCommas, put in some signage, some lane striping, 50 grand, boom done. Don't spend 10 million to solve a 50 thousand dollar problem.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Jul 2017 14:45

Plus the bridge solution is an attempt to solve the bigger problem with another band-aid. When the real problem is that car dependency design is what made things so hostile they have to build another more expensive bridge to counter the car dependency. If these intersections were looked at as true bridges for all transportation connections in the city smaller changes could be made so that a 50-70 million dollar bridge is not needed. Even improvements like what Arlington did on I-30 highway bridges would be a massive improvement and cost dramatically less than another dedicated bridge with massive ramps and connectivity issues.

Everyone is so willing in Dallas to do these landmark projects that they can get a donor to sign on for but barely pay for the actual cost of. Things like bridges that cost 90 million to cross the Trinity but the name that goes on the bridge pays less than 10% of cost in most cases, so instead we are left begging the feds and taxpayers to pay so some else can get their name slapped on some project that makes a visual impact but rarely is actually needed to the extent that its designed.

gshelton91

Postby gshelton91 » 27 Jul 2017 10:01

I am really excited about the new Mockingbird Bridge. Even though the connector across Central is currently very bad it would not be too hard to improve it. The problem is until this bridge is finished there is just not much of a constituency to get it done. Considering the issues that the Katy Trail has with mixing cars and trail users at Knox - i don't think experimenting with it with six lane Mockingbird is a great idea for anyone.

Really these dedicated trails are very different from and do not a rich pedestrian infrastructure that is part of the street grid -- they are more like rail lines-- making it easier and faster to connect to more distant places. They Katy has become more of a long park than anything but with the Mockingbird bridge i wonder if that will change... giving people on the Katy more room to spread out.

I was very disappointed that the Friends of the Katy Trail did not want to have anything to do with the trail on the other side of I75 -- having worked on the Santa Fe Trail it is insanely hard to get an organization like the Katy up and running with the ability to get the kind of money that is needed to do anything. Part of that problem is with the park department and the requirements they have put the price of almost anything out of reach.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 27 Jul 2017 10:35

Why isn't Monticello considered as a Katy Trail bridge over the highway?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Jul 2017 11:34

tamtagon wrote:Why isn't Monticello considered as a Katy Trail bridge over the highway?

Because the McCommas bridge is closer to Glencoe park which connects to the continued trail as it heads towards East Dallas. They made wide sidewalk improvements to the park and to McCommas Blvd from Mckinney Ave all the way to the east I-75 service road. Using the Monticello connection would require a significant budget addition for wider sidewalks and acquisition of land from Monticello all the way north to Glencoe park. The biggest disconnect is really a less than a mile distance from Mckinney Ave to the actual trail. An existing alley exists there and could be improved as a direct connection but that hasn't been done thus no one uses the McCommas connections except a small few people.

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 11.38.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 11.32.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 11.35.42 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KTuser

Postby KTuser » 10 Oct 2017 13:02

OCTOBER UPDATE FROM THE UCPID EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

October 10, 2017
A NOTE FROM THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

To begin, as many of you may have seen, construction of the University Crossing Bridge is entering its final phase. In September, the City of Dallas continued construction of the Bridge, which included assembling the walkway across Mockingbird Lane. Additionally, the City completed construction of a smaller bridge across the DART rail line just north of Twin Sixties Street, which will extend the trail east toward White Rock Lake. Finally, the City and the University Crossing Public Improvement District have been working closely on preparations for a ribbon cutting ceremony to commemorate the opening of the Bridge. Once plans are finalized, we will notify the community.

KTuser

Postby KTuser » 18 Oct 2017 12:09

UNIVERSITY CROSSING COMMUNITY EVENT

October 17, 2017
On Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017, from 9am - 11am, we will be celebrating the opening of the Mockingbird Pedestrian Bridge and Trail at Glencoe Park and Mockingbird Station. Please join us for a community bike ride at 9am and enjoy food, fun and more in Glencoe Park and in Mockingbird Station in the University Crossing neighborhood.

Several City of Dallas Departments including City Hall on the Go, Animal Services, Dallas Police and Fire, etc., will be at the event!

Please email info@universitycrossing.com should you have any questions or visit www.universitycrossing.com.

We look forward to seeing you on Saturday, Nov. 4 in Glencoe Park!

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 13 Dec 2017 22:29

Homebuilder Toll Brothers eyes a development site near SMU

Steve Brown, Real Estate Editor
Connect with Steve Brown

One of the country's top homebuilders is looking at a high-rise residential project near Southern Methodist University.

Pennsylvania-based Toll Brothers is already working on urban apartment projects in West Dallas and in the Oak Lawn neighborhood.

Now Toll Brothers is considering a high-profile building site on busy North Central Expressway. The builder has contracted to purchase land near the southeast corner of North Central and Mockingbird Lane southeast of SMU.

The property is next door to the Palomar condominium tower and was originally planned for a second-phase residential building. The land is owned by Dallas-based investor Westdale.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... e-near-smu

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 14 Dec 2017 11:18

With that new pedestrian bridge connecting over Mockingbird I can see this overall area becoming popular as it also connects directly to DART rail station and off 75.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Dec 2017 13:27

Speaking of the mockingbird pedestrian bridge... There's literally no light near the bridge after dark. Idk why they didn't think of lighting ...

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 14 Dec 2017 20:58

Cbdallas wrote:With that new pedestrian bridge connecting over Mockingbird I can see this overall area becoming popular as it also connects directly to DART rail station and off 75.

Ironically the bridge is of almost no value to the people who live and work there. No one is going to walk hundreds of yards out of their way to cross a street, even Mockingbird. It's only for the few people using the trail.

If it were a road or highway half of the folks on this forum would be screaming bloody murder about the city building a high-speed route through the neighborhood that only benefits the suburbanites passing through. :-)

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Dec 2017 23:32

Hannibal Lecter wrote:No one is going to walk hundreds of yards out of their way to cross a street, even Mockingbird. It's only for the few people using the trail.

You do realize the main purpose of bridge is not for crossing the street? So yeah, you're right. It's not for them.

The purpose of the bridge was to connect Dallas' trails.

10 yrs ago, when the bridge was first proposed, it was part of the City's great plan to connect it's trails.

In fact, The original name of the bridge was Katy trail Extension bridge.

Yes,The bridge serves an alternative to crossing the street at grade level, people have died doing so; but it's not even supposed to be a crosswalk.

IMO, anything that encourages an active lifestyle should be applauded. I wish we had a better trail system. At least, this is a start.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 15 Dec 2017 08:50

I would add that it was the local news media who made news stories connecting the bridge to stories of pedestrian deaths. Possibly even a neighborhood group somewhere making such a ridiculous claim. They needed an angle to cover the story of the bridge and the deaths seems like a good angle but the city never saw it as that kind of solution that I am aware of. It was how the news media tried to frame the conversation.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 15 Dec 2017 09:05

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I would add that it was the local news media who made news stories connecting the bridge to stories of pedestrian deaths. Possibly even a neighborhood group somewhere making such a ridiculous claim. They needed an angle to cover the story of the bridge and the deaths seems like a good angle but the city never saw it as that kind of solution that I am aware of. It was how the news media tried to frame the conversation.

I would agree with you halfway. Certain politicians have also played up the safety angle.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 15 Dec 2017 10:52

This is one of those combinations of parsing the exact words said and how a politician is unlikely correct the press if it makes them look good. I can live with that cause in the end that bridge is a trail bridge and wont do diddly squat for people looking to cross Mockingbird who are not looking to traverse the long trail. I've done it before and it is scary no matter if the crossing light is on.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 22 Dec 2017 17:34

Hannibal Lecter wrote:If it were a road or highway half of the folks on this forum would be screaming bloody murder about the city building a high-speed route through the neighborhood that only benefits the suburbanites passing through. :-)

Because unlike a bike/ped trail, high-speed roads and highways are ugly, noisy, polluting, and dangerous. Herp derp de derpity do.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 16 May 2018 17:00

Not exactly Mockingbird Station, but good to see new residential popping up with access to Ridgewood Trail. Now if only DART would get their act together and develop their parking lot across from this.

Owner of Central Expressway office near SMU eyes plan to add two residential towers
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ial-towers

Houston investors who purchased a North Central Expressway office tower are eyeing a plan to add two residential high-rises next door.

Triten Real Estate Partners in 2015 bought the 8-story Twin Sixties office high-rise at 6060 North Central Expressway near DART's Mockingbird Station rail stop.

jsoto3

Postby jsoto3 » 16 May 2018 22:19

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 01 Oct 2018 16:06

Cafe Express at Mockingbird Station closed unexpectedly, leaving just two Dallas locations: Lovers and McKinney Ave.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... ion-closed

I'd love to see Cafe Express take over the downtown Jason's Deli or open elsewhere down here, but I don't really know what direction the company is trying to take.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 01 Oct 2018 16:34

lakewoodhobo wrote:Cafe Express at Mockingbird Station closed unexpectedly, leaving just two Dallas locations: Lovers and McKinney Ave.

This does not bode well for Cafe Express in Dallas. The McKinney Ave location has been a ghost town in the evenings since reopening at the base of M-line Tower. Can anybody speak to business levels during the day?

eburress

Postby eburress » 01 Oct 2018 18:21

I've always been a fan of Cafe Express but the quality of their food has dropped *dramatically* over the last few years. I'm not surprised they're struggling.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 02 Oct 2018 02:45

I heard really great things about Cafe Express. Indeed. The food, at least in my opinion, was as great as anything fast food, and just as greasy. Their teas are okay, though.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 02 Oct 2018 09:08

LongonBigD wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:Cafe Express at Mockingbird Station closed unexpectedly, leaving just two Dallas locations: Lovers and McKinney Ave.

This does not bode well for Cafe Express in Dallas.

The sad thing is that the company is now based here. It was acquired recently by an oil and gas investor with zero experience in the restaurant industry who moved it here from Houston.

If their McKinney Ave store refresh (what they're calling a rebrand) isn't successful, I'm afraid the company won't be around much longer.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 02 Oct 2018 09:14

When I lived in Uptown about 8 years ago the Café Express even then was dead most week nights. I do believe most of their locations tend to cater more to the lunch crowd. The Southlake location was the same. So over the past few years Café Express moved their headquarters to Dallas but yet they closed the Plano, Southlake and Mockingbird Station locations. Hopefully they're plotting a relaunch with new locations. The brand was a bit tired so I think some new markets and smaller store formats could be a winner!

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 02 Oct 2018 15:49

I am afraid their restaurant model is from decades ago and does not attract millennial types. Maybe it is time for something new and fresh there. I tried the new model on McKinney and used to eat at the old one for many years but I don't see many people there. I thought it would do well there but there are so many dining options all over Dallas that the restaurant business is very tough right now.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Oct 2018 20:55

It used to rock back in the day, lines out the door for lunch every day but it was a much better place back then. Much has been lost here, if they were what they used to be they would probably be doing better.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 19 Nov 2018 15:36

Chicago developer plans huge mixed-use project near Dallas' Mockingbird Station

This project, "The Crossing", will include 2 apartment towers (330 units), and retail and restaurant spaces.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... rd-station

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 19 Nov 2018 16:01

That is fantastic I wish this type of development was happening at all of the inner urban core DART stations. It would change the city.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 19 Nov 2018 17:26

mockinbird-thecrossing.png

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 19 Nov 2018 17:28

Cbdallas wrote:That is fantastic I wish this type of development was happening at all of the inner urban core DART stations. It would change the city.

Well, it helps when you have a pricey private university next door that parents frequently pay for most of tuition and living expenses.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 19 Nov 2018 18:41

Were the DART parking lots across Mocking Bird station, near The Phoenix apartments, ever sold? I heard rumors years ago that the city wanted them to be sold for a mixed use project

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Nov 2018 23:42

I'll take it. Nothing spectacular, but more density around DART stations is always a good thing.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 20 Nov 2018 08:40

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Were the DART parking lots across Mocking Bird station, near The Phoenix apartments, ever sold? I heard rumors years ago that the city wanted them to be sold for a mixed use project

My understanding is that DART wants to keep ownership of the parking lot but lease it to a developer willing to build a tower on it. I'm not familiar with that business model because it seems like a lot of these apartments are being built with the intention of selling it within a year of construction.

The guy in charge of DART real estate is a joke.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 20 Nov 2018 08:47

Very nice! Awesome infill of some parking lots with something that hopefully expands the walkability footprint of Mockingbird Station.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Nov 2018 16:54

The good thing here is the Katy Trail access has already been built to connect this site.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 20 Nov 2018 17:44

There is so much property near DART lines tied up to parking it's sad.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 20 Nov 2018 18:14

R1070 wrote:There is so much property near DART lines tied up to parking it's sad.

So what is the deal with that. Is DART simply waiting until there is enough demand to build high-density development? If that is the case, I fully support that strategy. Or is there something else here that I am missing?

willyk

Postby willyk » 21 Nov 2018 02:18

I can’t find a Katy Trail map that shows this is part of the trail. Is there really trail there?

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 21 Nov 2018 03:58

willyk wrote:I can’t find a Katy Trail map that shows this is part of the trail. Is there really trail there?

Isn't it the Katy Trail extension that leads to White Rock lake?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Nov 2018 13:59

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 1.55.22 PM.png

And you can see in the more updated screenshot posted earlier that it runs from the new Katy Trail Bridge all the way to SMU Blvd behind the new Robson & Lindley Aquatics Center.
1526484702-6060site.jpg