Shraman South Asian Museum

willyk

Shraman South Asian Museum

Postby willyk » 19 Jul 2017 21:30

I had forgotten about this proposal but it was mentioned on another thread.

Something is wrong with this picture:
-Southeast Asian Museum Site = 4.7 Acres
-Perot Tower / B of A Site = 1.75 Acres

What else should go here?

(I do not oppose the museum. But there is an opportunity to do that and more.)

Tnexster

Re: Southeast Asian Museum

Postby Tnexster » 19 Jul 2017 21:42

I thought they had planned to do that and more, did the concept not include a multi story high rise residential or hotel tower?

Dallas12

Postby Dallas12 » 19 Jul 2017 22:30

The Southeast Asian museum site being that big is great. If it includes a lawn and water feature like the Museum of Modern Art in FW, that would be a huge draw to the public and potential residents if there is a tower.

As for Trammel Crow building anything in the next five years on the BofA site, that is a huge long shot IMO. Zero demand for what they are touting unless they score a big company wanting to relocate.

If I were a huge company wanting to relocate and build a tower in a great area, I'd be calling up Harwood, not TC.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 19 Jul 2017 23:32

Dallas12 wrote:The Southeast Asian museum site being that big is great. If it includes a lawn and water feature like the Museum of Modern Art in FW, that would be a huge draw to the public and potential residents if there is a tower.

As for Trammel Crow building anything in the next five years on the BofA site, that is a huge long shot IMO. Zero demand for what they are touting unless they score a big company wanting to relocate.

If I were a huge company wanting to relocate and build a tower in a great area, I'd be calling up Harwood, not TC.

If this is the BofA location at Field and Woodall Perot has that property not TC.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 20 Jul 2017 00:05

This whole time I thought the 4.7 acre lot was actually the Perot Tower site, and I wasn't really sure where the Southeast Asian Museum was going to be proposed. It seems like, at this time, neither of them are coming soon, but here's to hoping.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 Jul 2017 08:01

I think this map is accurate(ish).

Blue - Fountain Place parking garage
Red - Amli 45 story apartment building
Tan - Perot cylinder
Green - TCrow
Yellow - Shraman South Asian Museum
Red Red - Headington Corners, not going to be new ATT HQ

http://shraman.org/about-us/

South Asia is a unique and diverse region of the world. It consists of the modern nation-states of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka; sometimes Myanmar (Burma) and Tibet are included on this list. South Asia is home to one-fifth of the world's population; India alone has more than 1.2 billion citizens, making it the world's largest democracy. The diversity of languages, dialects, and scripts in South Asia is vast; there are currently more than 780 languages and dialects spoken in India. Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, and Sikhism, four of the world's major religious traditions, developed on South Asian soil, and Judaism, Christianity, and Islam have been practiced in the region for more than a millennium. South Asia's rich resources and geographical location have attracted merchants, pilgrims, scholars, marauders, armies, and aspiring rulers since the time of the Indus Valley civilization (ca. 2500-1700 BCE). During the more than 4,000 years of documented history, South Asians have made significant contributions to humanity in the areas of mathematics, science, philosophy, spiritual practices, art and architecture, and political thought.

I really hope this place takes root.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 20 Jul 2017 09:34

I really wish that on ramp was not there on field. Would be nice if a nice pedestrian promenade would be built that connected The Asian museum with the Perot Museum.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 20 Jul 2017 09:44

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:I really wish that on ramp was not there on field. Would be nice if a nice pedestrian promenade would be built that connected The Asian museum with the Perot Museum.

If they build a connector from the park to the Perot tower could they also extend that to the Asian museum? It would obviously be trickier but maybe not impossible.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 Jul 2017 10:07

The pedestrian & bike connector ought to come with the train tracks.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Jul 2017 10:21

I am not wasting a dime of public money on these over priced highway overpasses for pedestrians when the problem is the infrastructure in around the highway and our inability to improve and maintain it.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

soco

Postby soco » 20 Jul 2017 10:48

tamtagon wrote:The pedestrian & bike connector ought to come with the train tracks.

That very thing is being looked at for both entry/exit points into downtown as part of the D2 planning process.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 Jul 2017 11:04

So, like, where is the train supposed to go under the highway? cross Shraman acres? go underground?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

soco

Postby soco » 20 Jul 2017 11:16

I don't have the specifics on that, but the idea is that if DART is disturbing that corridor they should improve the bike/ped connectivity along that route.

dbent

Postby dbent » 20 Jul 2017 11:34

Its supposed to go underground and come above before it gets to the Westend area. This was on the old forum site but now lost

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 20 Jul 2017 12:08

Tnexster wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:I really wish that on ramp was not there on field. Would be nice if a nice pedestrian promenade would be built that connected The Asian museum with the Perot Museum.

If they build a connector from the park to the Perot tower could they also extend that to the Asian museum? It would obviously be trickier but maybe not impossible.

Why not just widen the sidewalks on field st? Remove that stupid off ramp & create walking infrastructure.

Field st. Could use bigger sidewalks badly...The underground garage eats the sidewalk in front of Fountain Place.

Dallas12

Postby Dallas12 » 20 Jul 2017 13:04

Tnexster wrote:
Dallas12 wrote:The Southeast Asian museum site being that big is great. If it includes a lawn and water feature like the Museum of Modern Art in FW, that would be a huge draw to the public and potential residents if there is a tower.

If this is the BofA location at Field and Woodall Perot has that property not TC.

Indeed. I was thinking Perot but typed out TC instead

rantanamo

Postby rantanamo » 20 Jul 2017 19:14

South Asian, not Southeast.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 21 Jul 2017 01:19

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Why not just widen the sidewalks on field st? Remove that stupid off ramp & create walking infrastructure.

THIS. And remove most of Griffin street in that area while they're at it. It's practically like a highway and cuts through the street grid. Or, keep Griffin and make Field Street a pedestrian and bike only thoroughfare. Or put them both on a road diet and add big sidewalks. Just do something. That area near Fountain place with the offramp and all the wide roads meeting at once, and the parking lots, it's just terribly uninviting.

muncien

Re: Shraman South Asian Museum

Postby muncien » 21 Jul 2017 10:24

No kidding... The streets in this section of town are terrible. I get off at that off ramp more than any other, and I swear it begs you to do do 55 to Ross... You almost can't help it. Can't they just dump it straight down onto the frontage road? Isn't that what frontage roads are for?
But if that ends up being the case, I agree that the DART ROW should be the primary pedestrian crossing. There are already way to many cars in that Field intersection to feel safe crossing... no matter how slow they end up going.
Also, I'm pretty sure the D2 plan doesn't have the tracks going underground until after it passes just south of Woodall... and yes, it passes right through the museum grounds. I believe there was mention by DART on working out how to interact with the property with it's owners. An incorporated station would be best, but with both D2 and the museum being anything but a sure bet, it'll be hard to end up with a best case scenario.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Jul 2017 10:41

Well to make any of these changes you need the landowners aka the Perot's, Trammel Crow's, Headington's etc to agree cause skyscraper developers and owners don't take walkability seriously unless it fits the PR campaign they need to get their project past city approvals. Developers don't go to City Planning School they go to business school and to them as many cars as you get driving by is a gold mine. The mixed use walkable thing to most of these guys is a marketing tool that's all. They don't believe in it because honestly, they don't understand it. Generally speaking, if you mess with that ramp or the high capacity of Griffin you will get a fight from those who only care about accommodating the racing home bunch at rush hour to Frisco and Plano.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 21 Jul 2017 21:31

^ Silly developers, catering to their tenants.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Jul 2017 10:03

Hannibal Lecter wrote:^ Silly developers, catering to their tenants.

I wish it was as easy as that but that's a crutch argument for those who feel that free market is being impoverished by back seat planners, arm chair complainers, and politicians looking for some applause for trendy verbiage.

Pike5370

Postby Pike5370 » 24 Jul 2017 10:05

tamtagon wrote:I think this map is accurate(ish).

Tan - Perot cylinder
Green - TCrow

Two errors on your map:

- the green is also Headington; and
- the block bounded by Ross, Field and San Jacinto is also Headington, all the way down to but excluding the YMCA at Akard.

citygeek

Postby citygeek » 24 Jul 2017 10:57

Some of you may not remember that a year or so ago the museum selected Cesar Pelli's Pelli Clarke Pelli firm to design the Shraman and the mixed-use development it will be a part of. As I understand it, IF the entire project is still a go, then the tower part is to be 40 stories. Perhaps, and it would seem likely, in addition to fund-raising timetable another factor to all of this is what you've mentioned earlier--DART. Maybe now with a more responsive transit board in place, some of these screw-ups will finally be addressed. Well, let's hope so. It truly will be incredible if this one rises. Fingers crossed, lol.
"To love ..(a).. city and to have a part in its advancement and improvement is the highest priority and duty of a citizen."
Daniel Burnham, 1909

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 24 Jul 2017 11:03

Pike5370 wrote:
tamtagon wrote:I think this map is accurate(ish).

Tan - Perot cylinder
Green - TCrow

Two errors on your map:

- the green is also Headington; and
- the block bounded by Ross, Field and San Jacinto is also Headington, all the way down to but excluding the YMCA at Akard.

Goodness. I knew Headington owned all the lots around Ross and Field, but didn't know he owned the green-shaded lot, too. Limitless potential, here.

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 19 Nov 2017 12:49

http://www.mirorivera.com/south-asian-museum.html

Museum Renderings

09_south asian museum.jpg
05_south asian museum.jpg
04_south asian museum.jpg
01_south asian museum.jpg

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 19 Nov 2017 12:59

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 19 Nov 2017 13:26

I'm really excited about this

eburress

Postby eburress » 19 Nov 2017 15:26

LOVE the unique design! I so hope this does move forward!

I wonder if that green space is where the residential tower is going to go. I can see the benefits of a big lawn/park, but I know the museum was planning on the residential proceeds acting as an endowment for the museum.

buildingswithlegs

Postby buildingswithlegs » 19 Nov 2017 18:16

Doesn't seem huge in sqft, but the design does seem quite special. Really exciting project. Glad they're using a Texas architect.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Nov 2017 19:45

Amazing! I really hope this happens.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 19 Nov 2017 20:07

I thought there was to be an iconic building included in this development.

DAFW

Postby DAFW » 19 Nov 2017 21:13

I thought there was to be an iconic building included in this development.

from the renderings it already looks pretty iconic to me...

the design is just fabulous. fingers-crossed it gets built. especially with that large lawn infront of it. It would be quite spectacular.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 19 Nov 2017 21:15

I was under the impression that a highrise would be included is what I meant. The museum and lawn look great.

eburress

Postby eburress » 20 Nov 2017 01:49

R1070 wrote:I thought there was to be an iconic building included in this development.

Yes, there were plans for an "iconic" residential high rise as well.

Jay9398

Postby Jay9398 » 20 Nov 2017 10:16

I really like these renderings but I wish they didn't pretend Woodall Rogers doesn't exist.

I wonder if the iconic tower plans were impacted by D2 alignment.

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 20 Nov 2017 11:02

I like the open space, it turns the museum into more than just exhibits but rather a place of community. However, this is Texas and we need shade. The heat become unbearable in summers and the grass will never make it.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 20 Nov 2017 11:20

Jasimm wrote:I like the open space, it turns the museum into more than just exhibits but rather a place of community. However, this is Texas and we need shade. The heat become unbearable in summers and the grass will never make it.

Well, if they plant vegitation that is native to North Texas...it would have a better chance of resisting the oppressive heat.

I never understood why people plant things that are not going to hold up well druing the summer.

Live Oaks, Pecans, etc are native to North Texas. That’s what needs to be planted more and they are drought resistant.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 Nov 2017 12:14

The heat in Texas and South Asia is formidable; the people adapt and enjoy shade trees... like the Banyan and Pecan.

...The design draws on the rich history of South Asian architecture and the form of the famous Banyan tree to create an inviting, open structure that encourages the public to explore exhibitions focused on South Asia’s diverse cultural and artistic heritage, which spans over 4,000 years of documented history. The exterior is wrapped in a screen of delicate steel pipes interwoven with hanging plants that filter light into the building and gather the museum, learning center, cafe, and office spaces into a cohesive whole....

I think they did a really good job designing a Banyan tree, will just need to finish by wrapping the lawn area with a thick buffer of shade as depicted.

A couple months of unbearable heat is not a deal, those afternoons are when people do stuff inside.

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 20 Nov 2017 13:00

This is from the 2000 Ross Brochure, but is the this map shows a Crow Collection Asian Art Museum where I thought that the Shraman South Asian Museum was located. Are these the same museum and I missed the name change? Or is Crow planning a new museum instead of the SSAM?

And if CCAAM is now there it might explain the absence of an "iconic tower" as noted above.
Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 10.55.55 AM.png

eburress

Postby eburress » 20 Nov 2017 13:20

Jasimm wrote:This is from the 2000 Ross Brochure, but is the this map shows a Crow Collection Asian Art Museum where I thought that the Shraman South Asian Museum was located. Are these the same museum and I missed the name change? Or is Crow planning a new museum instead of the SSAM?

And if CCAAM is now there it might explain the absence of an "iconic tower" as noted above. Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 10.55.55 AM.png

Hmmm...I almost don't think that's correct, like the designer who made the map misunderstood something. I've not heard any mention of the Crow collection relocating.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 20 Nov 2017 13:52

According to this recent article:
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/communi ... ans-future

there is an expansion and name change ('Crow Museum of Asian Art') planned, but nothing mentioned about a move anywhere.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 20 Nov 2017 13:56

Now that there are drawings online, any word yet of a construction timetable?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Nov 2017 14:52

Like I have said before renderings posted on the Architecture firms website are suspect. No PR firm or project developer would let the Architecture firm have the exclusive on releasing designs. If this design was moving forward we would have seen something on it already. They only post these things on the Architecture firms website after the project developer has passed on that design and the firm is in no danger of pissing off the client by posting first. Renderings and construction time schedules like we all wanna here will come in a press release, cultural affairs committee meeting or a planning meeting.

I also want to point out the museum pictured in the renderings does not appear to take up the entirety of the land they have purchased. The scale of it could be about half of the parking lot they have purchased so the mixed-use proportion could very well be on the other half of the site.

Jake

Postby Jake » 05 Aug 2018 18:15

This is by far the largest surface parking lot in downtown. It is about the size of 5 Fountain Place! It is almost shocking that this exists in a major city's downtown.

Is there any update on this? This would have been a huge win for downtown.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 05 Aug 2018 21:56

Just looked at their website. They still refer to the Museum, but there are no specifics, especially including any kind of timeline. I can't tell if the financial support isn't there yet, or the planning isn't clear, or what.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 06 Aug 2018 06:16

This project is dead.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 06 Aug 2018 08:06

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:This project is dead.

Any source on that?

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 06 Aug 2018 09:19

ContriveDallasite wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:This project is dead.

Any source on that?

Nope. But How many years has it been now? Its just a fantasy item at this point.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Aug 2018 09:25

What will probably happen is they will silently sell to Headington & Co. and he will sit on it as part of his larger play. Or we will see a "Coming Soon Sam's Club" sign on the site...