Shraman South Asian Museum

willyk

Re: Shraman South Asian Museum

Postby willyk » 24 Jul 2019 02:25

Does this put any pressure on the other property owners along Field St to announce something on their sites, in order to stay relevant and competitive?

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 24 Jul 2019 18:49

Hopefully, the architecture will be less stucco and less hip/modern garbage for this site. The West End deserves old, traditional industrial-style architecture.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 24 Jul 2019 21:50

joshua.dodd wrote:Hopefully, the architecture will be less stucco and less hip/modern garbage for this site. The West End deserves old, traditional industrial-style architecture.

Need more buildings like this in the West End area.

http://mithun.com/project/weyerhaeuser- ... ccidental/

eburress

Postby eburress » 24 Jul 2019 23:10

^^ That'd be pretty awesome! I'm hoping all the potential new development along Field/Griffin will motivate the city to do some sort of smart streets project(s) there.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 25 Jul 2019 06:47

I'd like to see Munger Avenue opened back up through this. The highway off-ramp ruins this property for what could be a fantastic pedestrian-heavy corridor between West End and the Museum. It's so popular right now, the massive parking podium garages sprouting multiple highrises, and that'll be great for this property; that'll be World Class for this property if the super-duper block of contiguous parking garage exists below street level with multiple highrises sprouting out of the ground and within small block street grid, giving pedestrians full criss-cross access thru the whole 6 acres.

Is there any reason Museum Way (and DART right of way) cannot lop-off part of North End Apartment flank the Science Museum, pass under the highway and thru the parking lot, transect this property and meet Griffin?

dzh

Postby dzh » 12 Dec 2019 16:21

Check D magazine if you're interested in seeing the latest rendering from Woods for this project...

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Dec 2019 17:03

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 12 Dec 2019 17:20

Wow, I didn’t expect to see a proposal this fast...

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Dec 2019 17:32

Tim Headington certainly seems to be the quiet kid with lots of acreage nearby and not showing any of his cards while the other guys flash these kinds of renderings around hoping to snag the big fish.

eburress

Postby eburress » 12 Dec 2019 17:32

Dang, that's pretty awesome! I really hope that happens!

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 12 Dec 2019 17:36

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Dec 2019 17:51

Snagged the rendering before the paywall went up.
rendeiring.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 12 Dec 2019 17:55

You can see the rendering includes the Dart D2 underground portal in front of the property.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Dec 2019 18:29

Looks like a 25 story wall of glass.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 12 Dec 2019 18:35

I’ve been really looking at the renderings for a min now. Ummm I’m not too sure if I like it yet.

What about y’all?

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 12 Dec 2019 18:57

It sure does look like 2010s Dallas, for better and for worse. Reminds me a lot of what's gone up in Legacy.

This rendering is particularly optimistic with already putting an additional high rise on the other side of the portal.

DFW

Postby DFW » 12 Dec 2019 20:29

Wonder why the entire office space was not in one tower as a centerpiece? There’s no height restrictions there. It simply looks to crowded. What’s with all those podiums? It needs some useable green areas and space for pedestrians.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 12 Dec 2019 20:46

I know that KWP or another public-private partnership would have to do what I'm suggesting -- it's not in the scope of the site owners' pro forma -- but I think this site, however jumbled or too low or too high, is a far cry from how memorable it will be if the McKinney Avenue Trolley could continue straight from 1717 McKinney Avenue, have a trolley overpass, and come across into this site. In an analysis I did once, thinking I might send it to someone, I noticed McKinney dives 25' down a hill as it descends west from Akard.

Thanks to that plunge, if new MATA track can just be built on an elevated route at roughly the same hilltop ground level as Akard, I think those few adjacent property owners' opinions would be the bigger hurdle than actually jumping over Woodall Rodgers (even though it does rise going west from under Akard) itself would be. In my way of envisioning it, if you have a pedestrian deck shaded by a trolley-track deck above, and separate bicycle lane outriggers (i.e. the sidewalk continues down the hill farther until it can launch underneath the trolley structure) then it could one day form a logical endpoint for extensions of Klyde, and also make LoMac and Downtown part of the same exciting _signature_ urban Dallas walk. That is, one with a kind of natural mind's-eye beeline legibility and level of activity and architecture that no other promenade in the city has.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 12 Dec 2019 21:02

Then from here I would just dream of MATA continued right down Griffin to Founders Square. Wouldn't be so hard to meet the Oak Cliff/Union Station Dallas Streetcar then, like DART's desired "Central Link" wanted the two to do (but which made them both map-spaghetti routes, hard to remember without riders' rote memorization).

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Dec 2019 22:16

Seems about time Dallas gets a big relocation from the East coast... Into this billion dollar development.

mrmandalay

Postby mrmandalay » 12 Dec 2019 23:17

Why such a modest height, for a project of this magnitude, at THIS location?

How about a more imposing design? Or lights that rival the Omni/BOA Plaza? Something that elicits a little more pride... something a little more striking... It's not bad, but it doesn't really look like the project is seizing the true potential of this massive, front row, blank canvas in the heart of downtown Dallas.

That said, I wouldn't mind if they went ahead with the current renderings. I'm tired of looking at that giant concrete sea, it might not be ideal but the design is at least somewhat interesting/refreshing. Plus great massing in an area devoid of any.

Chris Sapphire

Postby Chris Sapphire » 13 Dec 2019 01:01

I want it built for the sake of them filling up those hideous parking lots, but the design is not world class or striking. It's actually a bit ugly to be honest. We need something GORGEOUS there.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 13 Dec 2019 09:20

This isn't anything "game-changing" or something that's going to "change the Dallas skyline". It's a nice infill project. Not too bold and not too boring. It's slightly underwhelming but I'm not opposed to seeing it built as-is. I would love to see more height for sure! It looks like all the buildings are in the 20 - 30ish story range?? It really just reminds of a larger Park District or The Union. And I'm assuming we'll see a number of changes to the design between now and groundbreaking.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 13 Dec 2019 09:58

Chris Sapphire wrote:I want it built for the sake of them filling up those hideous parking lots, but the design is not world class or striking. It's actually a bit ugly to be honest. We need something GORGEOUS there.

This is a by product of hiring HKS as your architect. Look at their portfolio. Not one single design that is striking... Maybe it's the developers in Dallas that like boring. Or maybe the local architects are just ass... Right now, I'm leaning towards the latter.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 13 Dec 2019 10:08

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Chris Sapphire wrote:I want it built for the sake of them filling up those hideous parking lots, but the design is not world class or striking. It's actually a bit ugly to be honest. We need something GORGEOUS there.

This is a by product of hiring HKS as your architect. Look at their portfolio. Not one single design that is striking... Maybe it's the developers in Dallas that like boring. Or maybe the local architects are just ass... Right now, I'm leaning towards the latter.

But at the end of the day it's the developers who sign off on these project. I think it has more to do with the developers than the architects. Developers should be demanding more in terms of bolder designs. Of course, the architects are probably always going to say "we can give you more, we can give you bolder, but the cost for your project goes up by $200 million"...

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 13 Dec 2019 10:12

I think the dichotomy comes from developers remembering the 1980s, and the most of the people on this site not.

It's a lot easier to dream big when it's not your dollars on the line.

Keep in mind that the Hall building that just opened is built on a foundation poured 35 years ago.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 13 Dec 2019 10:32

Kelley USA wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:

But at the end of the day it's the developers who sign off on these project. I think it has more to do with the developers than the architects. Developers should be demanding more in terms of bolder designs. Of course, the architects are probably always going to say "we can give you more, we can give you bolder, but the cost for your project goes up by $200 million"...

I would agree with you.. but the project is 1 billion dollars. You're telling me this is the best design for 1 Billy? Get outta town. Ass design.

muncien

Postby muncien » 13 Dec 2019 10:39

Call me crazy, but I find 15-30 floors to be the sweet spot for CBD infill. The taller you go, the more imposing the structure is at ground level... not to mention all the non interactive pieces that come with additional loading docs and mechanical.
I know the supertalls provide all the eye candy that fills post cards and such, but we have plenty of those already. Let's get some people in the mix now.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 13 Dec 2019 10:44

So... maybe I missed it... Is the South Asian Museum officially dead?

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 13 Dec 2019 10:47

Duda Paine was the design architect on the new Pioneer building in Irving, but HKS was the administrative architect-of-record on that project whose aesthetics are not assthetic

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 13 Dec 2019 10:58

I45Tex wrote:Duda Paine was the design architect on the new Pioneer building in Irving, but HKS was the administrative architect-of-record on that project whose aesthetics are not assthetic

Duda Paine actually does great design work. The design on The Republic tower in Austin was great I thought. But this HKS project is a uninspiring to say the least...

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 13 Dec 2019 11:17

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Kelley USA wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:

I would agree with you.. but the project is 1 billion dollars. You're telling me this is the best design for 1 Billy? Get outta town. Ass design.

Haha, yea, I do agree with you... As silly as it sounds I don't think $1 billion goes as far as it use to. Also, mods, can we rename this thread by chance??

Bategeler

Postby Bategeler » 13 Dec 2019 11:18

It doesn't surprise me that HKS is the architect on this. They do boring uninspired designs and are yesmen to developers, they will design whatever developers request and whatever is the most budget friendly.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 13 Dec 2019 11:19

I agree with many of the posts above. I think it’s just too boxy and a little lackluster. If this is what’s going to be built, I just hope that the ground level is great.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 13 Dec 2019 11:25

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Kelley USA wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:

LOL that was my thoughts initially. I’m glad I wasn’t the only one... :lol:

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 13 Dec 2019 11:39

This courtyard looks like it might be an extension of Munger Ave, but rather than connecting it to Magnolia St it just dead-ends into a 6-story building, like One Arts Plaza did with Flora. I don't hate the design from this point of view, but I wish the designers had put some effort into connecting the streets.

JQ6XHNADOZFPFMD3T4AT7XY5GM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 11.32.37 AM.jpg

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 13 Dec 2019 11:58

Any chance we actually see all that greenery and all those trees planted on all those different levels of the buildings? I mean for crying out loud, they have trees planted at the top of the building. Whenever a developer shows us renderings with trees planted on top of the building it almost NEVER comes to fruition. It's like a trick to make the project look more aesthetically pleasing than what it really is.

itsjrd1964

Re: (not the) Shraman South Asian Museum

Postby itsjrd1964 » 13 Dec 2019 12:04

So, do they have office tenants (and a real hotel name for the hotel, not some wacky made-up name no one's heard of) chomping at the bit to get in this place, or is it spec for now? We don't need a supertall-or-less that's completely empty.

Tnexster

Re: (not the) Shraman South Asian Museum

Postby Tnexster » 13 Dec 2019 12:51

itsjrd1964 wrote:So, do they have office tenants (and a real hotel name for the hotel, not some wacky made-up name no one's heard of) chomping at the bit to get in this place, or is it spec for now? We don't need a supertall-or-less that's completely empty.

They claim they intend to break ground in mid to late 2020 so maybe they have some takers. I am a little flat on this one, do they really have four giant pedestals for parking?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Dec 2019 12:53

Keep in mind these are concept renderings, not final drawings. This is the sex appeal they are using to attract leases. Once they sign on a lead tenant they will have to make changes based on a lot of factors. I guarantee DART has not signed off on that cover over the tunnel because they don't even have working drawings I bet. DART has merely said they will work with the developer on a solution that benefits both parties. Just like the parking garage built for Trammel Crow tower what they proposed initially is not what they built design-wise. They dumbed it down substantially from the initial concepts.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 13 Dec 2019 12:58

^Well, this idea dumbed down doesn't sound good. Hopefully some of those changes are positive

muncien

Postby muncien » 13 Dec 2019 13:26

Kelley USA wrote:Any chance we actually see all that greenery and all those trees planted on all those different levels of the buildings? I mean for crying out loud, they have trees planted at the top of the building. Whenever a developer shows us renderings with trees planted on top of the building it almost NEVER comes to fruition. It's like a trick to make the project look more aesthetically pleasing than what it really is.

No doubt! Some of these renders look like a scene from I am Legend. lol
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Dec 2019 14:10

I am not saying the design couldn't get better but since no one has publicly signed on I would not bet on these images until at least a construction filing with the city.

Pinhi

Postby Pinhi » 13 Dec 2019 20:01

DFW wrote:Wonder why the entire office space was not in one tower as a centerpiece? There’s no height restrictions there. It simply looks to crowded. What’s with all those podiums? It needs some useable green areas and space for pedestrians.

Dallas doesn't do height anymore. Sorry. Those 1980s 50 and 60 stories are what you get.

Dallas12

Postby Dallas12 » 13 Dec 2019 23:11

The number of cooks in this kitchen is appropriate when considering who understands the facets of development