Dallas: Cricket Stadium

tamtagon
Site Admin

Cricket league may include Dallas team

Postby tamtagon » 18 Jul 2017 09:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIrECTj ... e=youtu.be

Dallas-area among potential sites for professional cricket team, stadium

Tracy M. Cook

...Global Sports Ventures LLC sought JLL's sports and entertainment group for its advisory services as part of an effort to bring a professional cricket league to the United States by 2020.
JLL will manage the site selection and oversee the development of eight stadiums in Texas, California, Illinois, Georgia, Florida, Washington D.C., New Jersey and New York. Those locations were chosen on the basis that the sport already has established followings there, predominantly through Asian populations.

...The complex would include a cricket stadium, parking, and mixed-use lifestyle centers with restaurants and hotels, as well as office, residential and retail space ... site search will focus on areas that are desirable from a mixed-use perspective with access to freeways and other means of transportation. Suburban sites could span 30 to 50 acres, while urban sites would require 12-15 acres for the stadium, with the rest of the facilities woven into the existing urban fabric.

North Texas certainly has a knack for supporting a wide array of sports entertainment.

DPatel304

Re: Cricket league may include Dallas team

Postby DPatel304 » 18 Jul 2017 11:40

Pretty cool. I'm not a fan of the sport at all, but it's always nice to have something new like this come to the area, and there seems to be a decent amount of South Asians interested in the sport in DFW.

Tnexster

Dallas: Cricket Stadium

Postby Tnexster » 18 Jul 2017 13:18

Dallas-area among potential sites for professional cricket team, stadium

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/spo ... am-stadium

A sports ventures firm will work with real estate giant JLL to plan and build eight cricket stadiums across the country, including Dallas.

Global Sports Ventures LLC sought JLL's sports and entertainment group for its advisory services as part of an effort to bring a professional cricket league to the United States by 2020.

The Texas stadium will be in Dallas, said Pandya, whose ties to the city also come via his work as a franchisee of Plano-based Pizza Hut. The stadium's location will be determined in the next several weeks, said JLL international director David Demarest.

The complexes, which Pandya estimates will cost a combined $2.4 billion to build, would include a cricket stadium, parking, and mixed-use lifestyle centers with restaurants and hotels, as well as office, residential and retail space. The projects are expected to create 17,000 jobs.

dd_dweller

Re: Dallas: Cricket Stadium

Postby dd_dweller » 19 Jul 2017 10:47

This is something the downtown Dallas core has always wanted. A stadium that could host more than its intended sport. Hopefully the old Reunion Arena site is being looked at as well as the Spire site. This would be a big win for downtown.

I'm not opposed to the Las Colinas site where the Texas Stadium use to be.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 19 Jul 2017 10:57

dd_dweller wrote:This is something the downtown Dallas core has always wanted. A stadium that could host more than its intended sport. Hopefully the old Reunion Arena site is being looked at as well as the Spire site. This would be a big win for downtown.

I'm not opposed to the Las Colinas site where the Texas Stadium use to be.

No. This is not good for Downtown IMO..

Car dependant cities Are the worst at building stadiums in Downtown. These stadium bring More lots and / or garages. Which is exactly the kind of thing DT Dallas needs less of if it wants to be more of neighborhood.

Also I am very skeptical of Cricket Leagues success. The MLS can barely make a dent in the American Sports Consciousness and Soccer is way more popular than cricket.. I highly doubt cricket will be a successful. Good luck!

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 19 Jul 2017 11:17

I will tell you that I've spoken with a number of people at the City of Irving and they are all over this! They do think it would be a perfect fit for the old Texas Stadium site. It is being considered as a potential location. Now, do I think cricket will find success in the USA? I highly doubt it, but I really have no idea.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 19 Jul 2017 11:21

Kelley USA wrote:I will tell you that I've spoken with a number of people at the City of Irving and they are all over this! They do think it would be a perfect fit for the old Texas Stadium site. It is being considered as a potential location. Now, do I think cricket will find success in the USA? I highly doubt it, but I really have no idea.

This would be great for That site and I actually think Irving would be great for Cricket There are lots of Indian/Pakistani people in Irving /Las Colinas (FYI - Indian /Pakistan are world powers in Cricket). That may be the right demographic to Target to find some sort of niche.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 19 Jul 2017 11:39

Kelley USA wrote:I will tell you that I've spoken with a number of people at the City of Irving and they are all over this! They do think it would be a perfect fit for the old Texas Stadium site. It is being considered as a potential location. Now, do I think cricket will find success in the USA? I highly doubt it, but I really have no idea.

Short term maybe not, long term yes.

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 19 Jul 2017 11:41

If done right, this could be a big draw for Dallas. If developed by a DART station, people from the suburbs could commute to the stadium. Even fans from the Dallas area could use dart. I know our city fails us sometimes but there is hope that this could be done right. They want to build new hotels and apartments, which Dallas and its surrounding core already has. I would be happy with more retail around the core and more activity. The core is growing for the better.

Whatever site is selected, I hope there's a DART line near by. It seems that they want a more urban feel.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 19 Jul 2017 11:57

Former Reunion Arena or Texas Stadium sites would work great for a mixed use development that includes a 20-25,000 seat stadium. Highway and rail access in both places, plenty of land. The article states, matter of fact-ly, the request for public contribution toward this deal. I mean, like, the highway and rail access is not enough? Reunion Arena already has a big ass parking garage waiting to be reattached to something.

I just kinda figured this would angle to somewhere along Central.... forgetting that Irving also has a big Indian population.

The idea of this development/stadium in downtown Dallas just reminds me how silly for the city to avoid and ignore the Municipal Arena at the Convention Center.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 19 Jul 2017 16:59

DFW appears to be the frontrunner for new cricket stadium

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... j=78572671

Hwulivn

Postby Hwulivn » 23 Jul 2017 09:38

This would be great if located in downtown Dallas along the Trinity in Jack Matthews' project.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 23 Jul 2017 15:06

This deal is Irving's to lose.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Jul 2017 09:51

Keep in mind all developers are still in love with the Plano Frisco 6 Billion dollar mile so since the team wants to work with a developer on a mixed use component I wouldn't be surprised to hear them be courted up there to sit in the area with all the other growing sports teams.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 15 Mar 2018 11:22

What's going on with this?