Northpark Center

Cbdallas

Re: Northpark Center

Postby Cbdallas » 11 Apr 2019 15:25

While I too would have preferred an urban setting unfortunately Dallas does not have a dense urban area with the demographics that would support an Eataly. Even the Chicago location has been problematic as they aren't drawing outside of that urban location. I do think this location will draw from the entire metroplex but an uptown location would not be enough to support and while many people will drive to Northpark most from the suburbs won't go downtown ...sadly.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 11 Apr 2019 18:02

Cbdallas wrote:While I too would have preferred an urban setting unfortunately Dallas does not have a dense urban area with the demographics that would support an Eataly. Even the Chicago location has been problematic as they aren't drawing outside of that urban location. I do think this location will draw from the entire metroplex but an uptown location would not be enough to support and while many people will drive to Northpark most from the suburbs won't go downtown ...sadly.

Is that still true, though? Maybe in the Dallas of 2005. But now, most of the best restaurants are in the trendy urban neighborhoods and the wealthy crowd will drive in to go to them. The area around NorthPark is just chainsville as far as dining goes. In addition to acting as a dining destination, Eataly is a gourmet market, not a mainstay grocery store that people will need right near their homes. I don't even think they have traditional shopping carts, they have baskets instead. I think the Knox Henderson area or near West Village would have drawn the best of both the urban and suburban crowd. Good luck to them.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 11 Apr 2019 18:47

Butters wrote:I’ve been to Eatalys 2 new locations in
Boston and LA which are both in busy shopping centers and they are both busier than Chicago which is like Uptown . The Pirch location has its own parking lot which is perfect for Eataly. They picked the busiest location in Dallas which is smart

The Boston Eataly may technically be in a "mall", but it's a decidedly urban kind of mall with two subway stops that spills directly out onto the extremely walkable high street, smack in the middle of the touristy urban core, and integrated into the base of a skyscraper (the Prudential tower). A high percentage of people actually just use the mall as a cut through from the subway to the pedestrian shopping district. I can say this with some authority, because that's exactly what I did multiple times a week.

It's pretty different from the beige hellscape that is NorthPark (IMHO)

Was really hoping to see Eataly at Cityplace :cry:

Butters

Postby Butters » 12 Apr 2019 12:21

Cityplace customers vs Preston Hollow haha

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 12 Apr 2019 13:16

Butters wrote:Cityplace customers vs Preston Hollow haha

And your 100% sure Eataly will draw more dollars from Preston Hollow than Uptown and surrounding urban neighborhoods? I don't know either, but something tells me that Eataly might make more money from urban professionals with lots of disposable income, who rent $2000-3000/mo apartments and might have more open palettes rather than the older, more conservative and traditional Preston Hollow crowd. Where do dining dollars and gourmet food dollars get spend in the highest densities in Dallas? I don't think it's Preston Hollow. The Preston Hollow dining scene is rather small.

I know you're a fan of NorthPark, we all go to NorthPark when we have to, but it's no longer the center of the universe like it once was in Dallas, especially when it comes to food. Eataly can be successful at NP, but it's okay to wonder if it would work out better somewhere else.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 12 Apr 2019 14:14

^^ Agreed. And in addition to Uptown, did you also miss the sweeping change in the East Dallas neighborhoods surrounding that vacant Cityplace land? Hundreds of condos, townhomes, and luxury apartments being built at a frantic pace, all starting in the high 300s-low 400s.

If you build six 450k condos on the same size lot as a single Preston Hollow home, does that impact the hand-wavy, back of the envelope calculations we're all doing here? How about the fact that Cityplace has a DART station and we're already finally seeing big investment and density at DART stations (i.e., Mockingbird)?

The East Dallas neighborhoods aren't all the way there yet, but the sheer pace of construction in the last year suggests it'll be 100% built out before we know it--and it's already swarming with employed DINKs in their 20s and 30s relocating from places like California and Denver.

The Restoration Hardware Gallery is being built a stones throw away from CityPlace, if you really want to talk about aspirational retail. Both are less than a 10 minute walk from my house.

I also appreciate somebody echoing my thoughts WRT dining. I also haven't been particularly impressed with the restaurants we've tried that edge into the Park Cities. Food tends to be predictably expensive, bland, familiar, and safe, kind of like the meals you'd get on a cruise ship or at a wedding. I looked at the dining options at Northpark when I was there and nothing was interesting. Seasons 52? Maggiano's? P.F. Changs? That's not where urban Millennials and Gen Z eat these days. We did 15 years ago, but not now. I associate those places with 1. well-heeled suburban Boomers and 2. pre-prom dinners for large groups of high school students.

I guess in that sense, Northpark needs Eataly for some diversity. Eataly carries Rustichella pasta, my all-time favorite, and 50 different kinds of anchovies! :lol:

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 12 Apr 2019 16:11

"It's pretty different from the beige hellscape that is NorthPark (IMHO)"

A hellscape filled with world class art in a museum setting. That was a bit harsh.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 12 Apr 2019 17:41

it's just, like, my opinion, man--haha

I just really hate enclosed shopping malls and disliked Northpark in particular. Personal preference. If I want to see art (and I do--we're especially happy with the symphony, opera, and ballet performances we've seen in Dallas so far), I prefer visiting publicly funded museums and skipping the gift shop. Or, heck, any of the awesome little galleries in the Arts District.

Shopping malls exist so people can spend money, no matter how you zhush up the walls. If I want to shop, I go to a high street, mixed-use development, or--85% of the time--buy the thing online.

I actually played a game with my spouse the last time I was at Northpark on a weekend--challenging each other to find any groups of teenagers wandering around, socializing, and shopping, the way we did as teens ourselves. There really weren't that many. The only teens we spotted had the impatient, headphone-ed look of being dragged through there by a parent running an errand.

Shopping malls--they are a-changin'.

Butters

Postby Butters » 13 Apr 2019 10:18

Looks like you are in the minority’ but enjoy buying your gap online and missing all the hot talent af one of the best 5 shopping centers in the country

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... ba98f7aad4

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Apr 2019 10:59

I honestly don't see why Eataly wouldn't open a location at NorthPark and Cityplace. Knowing that a City Place location is a few years away anyway. NorthPark is busy now and the rumored City Place location is near an area still in a steady growth pattern but is near lots of changing demographic areas for their target market. Yeah, NorthPark is not far away by a speeding car but that's not saying much in Dallas we have Trader Joes within a few minutes of each other and Krogers with similar close by proximity and Whole Foods who seems to be making sure they have a store at all sides of the Park Cities. Eataly seems like they would like the to pick up the retired shoppers of NorthPark and the Millenials filling in the massive Uptown, East Dallas, West Village, Oak Lawn, Turtle Creek, Deep Ellum, and the Downtown market.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 13 Apr 2019 12:18

"Looks like you are in the minority but enjoy buying your gap online and missing all the hot talent af one of the best 5 shopping centers in the country"

...lol, that's exactly my point. Who shops at Gap anymore, in person OR online?! I absolutely did 20 years ago, in the late 1990s, when I was a young teenager. I wouldn't now.

The Gap family of stores are STRUGGLING, with the exception of Old Navy because Old Navy targets a low-income demographic, and have been for years. Bland, boring, 1980s-era mid-market retailers are the at the vanguard of the American retail apocalypse and dead mall phenomenon because they failed to evolve and keep up with consumer tastes.

The fact that you used the Gap (and not, say, Glossier, Parachute, or Warby Parker) reveals what generation you likely belong to.

Northpark has done a much better job than your typical middle America town mall at courting interesting boutique retail to replace stodgy old mall mainstays like Bath and Body Works and GNC, so it'll probably survive thanks to moneyed Boomers and the fact that, as somebody else upthread observed, we all need to make the hike up to Northpark occasionally for the odd thing here and there because Dallas doesn't currently have a downtown high street.

My point is that young people--the people who will determine the FUTURE of retail--have evolving tastes and habits, especially if they live in cities, as they increasingly do.

Butters

Postby Butters » 13 Apr 2019 17:42

Glossier and Parachute- you sure picked popular brands that do a lot in sales. lol As for Warby Parker Guess where they have their Top 10 store in their chain and here’s a hint it’s not Henderson Ave. I bet Henderson Ave does half what NP does.
it’s obvious you don’t Shop NorthPark as you would notice half of their stores are geared towards millennials and they keep adding more which tells me that retailers know where young people spend their money in Dallas. The other big batch of stores are geared towards the luxury shopper not the retired consumer. They have gotten rid of all the Talbots, Chicos type stores.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 13 Apr 2019 18:05

Butters, I made that exact concession in my post. I literally said, "Northpark has done a much better job than your typical middle America town mall at courting interesting boutique retail to replace stodgy old mall mainstays like Bath and Body Works and GNC."

I'm finished with this debate. You aren't going to convince me that Northpark is the shopping destination for me, but it's clear that several of you are very emotionally attached to the place. After all, it's been around for over 50 years.

It's hard to watch the world change so swiftly. I'm sure I'll be complaining about whatever generation will come after Z 20 years from now. Maybe they'll shop entirely in augmented reality and I'll bemoan the good old days of Amazon Prime.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 13 Apr 2019 19:59

The Kate Spade renovation is done and the new design is nice (the previous one was nice too). Aritzia is scheduled to open May 2nd and Wolford is in fact closed. I'm still not sure what is taking over the Roberto Cavalli or Charlotte Russe spaces.

Butters

Postby Butters » 25 Apr 2019 14:04

Rumor has it NorthPark has signed Isabel Marant and HPV got Goyard

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 25 Apr 2019 14:35

Butters wrote:Rumor has it NorthPark has signed Isabel Marant and HPV got Goyard

Both of those would be huge news, hope it is true.

Dallasretail

Postby Dallasretail » 25 Apr 2019 18:22

Butters wrote:hjkll you are clueless. NP has brought in or adding 15 exclusive retailers you can only find at NP in DFW in the last year. Name a center that has brought in half that many new retailers.

Matt- I hear Eataly is taking former PIRCH space, so darn cool if it’s true.

According to this quote from the Eataly executive chairman Dallas does seem to be in the plans. We have been to all of the US locations and the mall strategy appears consistent with Boston, LA and the downtown NYC.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wwd.com/ey ... 35694/amp/

R1070

Postby R1070 » 28 Apr 2019 17:29

Any word on what’s replacing the Charlotte Russe and Peek... stores?

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 30 Apr 2019 13:33

ISABEL MARANT - OPENING FALL 2019

Say Isabel Marant, think Parisian flow. Having founded her label in ’94, she instantly became renowned for her pioneering and cosmopolitan spirit bringing self-affirmation and feel good effect to her dégaine… To do so, ever since her launch, she has been trying on each garment before it leaves her studio to ensure everything works in the everyday life of a real woman. This will be the only Isabel Marant boutique in Texas.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 30 Apr 2019 13:45

We have some psychic people on this site.
The construction boards are up at the previous Pirch space. I assume that announcement will be coming soon.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 30 Apr 2019 16:25

Dallasretail wrote:
Butters wrote:hjkll you are clueless. NP has brought in or adding 15 exclusive retailers you can only find at NP in DFW in the last year. Name a center that has brought in half that many new retailers.

Matt- I hear Eataly is taking former PIRCH space, so darn cool if it’s true.

According to this quote from the Eataly executive chairman Dallas does seem to be in the plans. We have been to all of the US locations and the mall strategy appears consistent with Boston, LA and the downtown NYC.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wwd.com/ey ... 35694/amp/

Man I was hoping we'd get one at the De La Vega development; something similar to the Flatiron location. Going to the Mall just to eat a pizza... ugh...

Now, it's like they're okay with being a fancy ass Sbarro.lol

R1070

Postby R1070 » 01 May 2019 13:40

The Akola pop-up is gone and that space has construction boards up. Not sure what’s going in there.

Also, wouldn’t be totally shocked if Swag was relocated to make room in that luxury area for more stores.

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 01 May 2019 23:21

R1070 wrote:The Akola pop-up is gone and that space has construction boards up. Not sure what’s going in there.

Also, wouldn’t be totally shocked if Swag was relocated to make room in that luxury area for more stores.

Of the currently known coming soon tenants I cannot see any of them except Schutz Shoes opening in that space. However they have an anticipated opening of Fall 2020 so that seems a little far off.

I would like to see Swag relocate to that space (or leave the center). Byredo would be a nice fit to take the space, but even that seems a little small compared to the size of the new Aesop, closer in size to Diptyque.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 01 May 2019 23:34

The Swag owner must be close with the Nashers personally. It’s so random. It just seems like a Preston Center type store.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 02 May 2019 12:40

Aritzia is now open in the previous Henri Bendel. I’m pretty sure there is or was one of these stores at Willowbend.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 06 May 2019 13:30

A little late to the party, but D Mag is now on the Eataly news...

https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/20 ... s/?ref=mpw

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 06 May 2019 14:29

If this pans out and they get Eataly NP should really put in a hotel and some residential towers and maybe even an office tower and just make this a much denser development and connect it all to the DART station across 75 with some kind of cool pedestrian bridge into the Park Lane Development. This intersection could hold much more density and should.

Just released: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... llas-entry

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 07 May 2019 16:31

Eataly is now confirmed by NP... Nice little rendering in the article as well.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... ing-dallas

mwaskow

Postby mwaskow » 07 May 2019 17:11

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 May 2019 17:14

Where is it going? I only ask cause I currently don't have access to my Dallas News account.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 07 May 2019 17:17

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Where is it going? I only ask cause I currently don't have access to my Dallas News account.

Between Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom . . . "Eataly will go into remodeled space on the west side of the mall facing Boedeker Street that's been vacant since late 2017 when upscale home appliance retailer Pirch closed..."

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 08 May 2019 11:42

With Eataly there is very little else in retail or food that Dallas lacks compared to what is in the top 5 metros. I won't have to travel as much to the other large cities.

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 08 May 2019 17:39

Uniqlo! Do we have a Uniqlo?

captmidnight

Postby captmidnight » 08 May 2019 17:47

exactly. I've been waiting for Uniqlo too. Any news (or not)?

R1070

Postby R1070 » 08 May 2019 17:55

Uniqlo would be a good fit at Stonebriar or Galleria as well.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 18 May 2019 13:10

Athleta is open. Tod's has re-opened and Swag is gone. I imagine Stuart W. will be the next store to open in the coming days as they are scheduled to open in their new location in May.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 26 May 2019 14:02

Saint Laurent is about to open. The storefront is very nice.

Make Up Forever is now gone and it looks like construction has started on the space.

Dallasretail

Postby Dallasretail » 29 May 2019 15:38

Tuft & Needle now lister as coming soon. Appears to be a new gen mattress company with value pricing. This seems like an odd add to me. I’m not sure I really understand the Arhaus or Design Within Reach plays either. Surely these stores don’t need mall traffic to be successful and the rents have to be higher at NorthPark than other areas.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 29 May 2019 21:34

I recall NP officials stating they wanted to diversify the shopping experience beyond just clothing. T&N has nice storefronts in premier areas. Casper does the same.

Butters

Postby Butters » 30 May 2019 09:24

Dallasretail - EVERY retailer needs foot traffic to thrive and NP provides that, That’s retail 101. From my conversations with manAgers while shopping at Arhaus., Williams sonoma, DWR their stores are ranked in the top of their chains. I can see NP adding more to diversity from so much fashion

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 30 May 2019 20:13

Retail updates to Northpark Center :
RED is a new change/update since last update

Relocating Soon:
-TOD'S- NOW OPEN (Previous TOD'S/Wolford Space 1 of 2)
-James Avery Artisan Jewelry- Summer 2019- (Previous Chico's Space)
-Origins- Summer 2019- (Previous Fresh Space)
-Fresh- Summer 2019- (Previous Origins Space)
-Stuart Weitzman- Summer 2019 (Previous Talbots Space (1 of 2))
-Versace- Summer 2019 ((Previous Salvatore Ferragamo Space)

New Stores Opening Soon:
-Athleta- NOW OPEN (Previous Brookstone Space)
-Aritzia- NOW OPEN (Previous Henri Bendel Space)
-Alexandre Birman- Fall 2019 (Previous Mac/Coach Space (1 of 2))
-Dreamscape Immersive at AMC- Spring 2019 (Previous Trains at Northpark Space)
-Golden Goose- Fall 2019- (Previous TOD'S/Wolford Space 1 of 2)
-Isabel Marant- Fall 2019- (Previous TOD'S Temporary Space)
-Saint Laurent- Summer 2019 (Previous Design Within Reach Space)
-Tuff & Needle- Summer 2019 (Previous Peek...Aren't You Curious Space)
-Dolce & Gabbana- Fall 2019 (Previous Williams Sonoma Space)
-Eataly- 2020 (Previous Pirch Space)

New Stores Opening Soon in Unknown Locations:
Byredo- Fall 2019 ?? (No Longer listed as Coming Soon...Any News?)
Schutz- Fall 2020

Vacant or Soon to be Vacant Storefronts:
-Current Fresh Temporary Location
-Current James Avery Space
-Current Versace Space
-Current Stuart Weitzman Space
-Previous Charlotte Russe
-Previous Roberto Cavalli Space (Closing all US boutiques)
-Previous Swag Space

R1070

Postby R1070 » 30 May 2019 22:38

And Make Up Forever has vacated its space.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 30 May 2019 23:19

R1070 wrote:And Make Up Forever has vacated its space.

Anyone know what that’s about? Not enough sales to satisfy NP? Overall corporate retrenchment? Online sales backlash? This concept should have been a no brainer.

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 31 May 2019 06:42

R1070 wrote:And Make Up Forever has vacated its space.

Good catch I forgot about that one. It was a Southwestern exclusive so thats a shame.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 31 May 2019 06:49

There’s now a make up and athletic wear overload at NorthPark. I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw something else close.

Butters

Postby Butters » 31 May 2019 12:06

My wife heard from their manager all make up forever stores are closing

r1070 Lululemon Outdoor Voices Athleta and Lorna Jane are hardly overloaded for a 2 million SF center

Butters

Postby Butters » 05 Jun 2019 11:07

I hear Sandro and Maje are coming

Dallasretail

Postby Dallasretail » 05 Jun 2019 11:36

Nice additions. It does surprise me that these brands are testing Austin first. Neither will be Texas exclusives as the Domain and Houston Galleria both have them. Still waiting for COS to come to Dallas too after success in Houston and Austin

R1070

Postby R1070 » 05 Jun 2019 14:48

Joie too.

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 05 Jun 2019 16:09

Butters wrote:I hear Sandro and Maje are coming

Sandro and Maje are both hiring SA/Manager for new Northpark boutique openings according to their sites. I would expect official store opening announcements to come soon, now just to contemplate where they will open....

@R0170 No info on Joie did you hear something?