Northpark Center

acclar11

Re: Northpark Center

Postby acclar11 » 02 Jun 2022 16:58

acclar11 wrote:Is H&M actually closed, or did Northpark just make an error on the website? Official H&M website lists the location as still open. I'm actually supposed to head to the mall tomorrow morning, so I'll keep everyone posted.

I take what I said back. The NorthPark location is not listed on the H&M website anymore.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 02 Jun 2022 17:12

MANGO said that they’re looking to expand into Texas in 2023, so I think that seems to be the biggest possibility as to what’s going into the H&M space next.

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 02 Jun 2022 18:23

Maybe something like COS since it is owned by H&M and already in Houston and Austin.
Topshop/Topman also another that has been rumored a while.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 02 Jun 2022 18:34

Topshop/Topman closed all of their stores in the US, including their Houston Galleria store, a couple of years ago. Since being bought out by ASOS, they no longer have any physical retail locations, however, their products are still sold in Nordstrom as Nordstrom and ASOS have a partnership.

COS closed their Austin store, although hopefully they do come to Dallas in the future. NorthPark would be a good fit, although I’d prefer to see them open on Knox instead.

I still place my bets on Mango being what takes over the H&M space.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 02 Jun 2022 19:07

Proquest20 wrote:MANGO said that they’re looking to expand into Texas in 2023, so I think that seems to be the biggest possibility as to what’s going into the H&M space next.

Wasn't there a Mango store on the 2nd level of NorthPark at one point? It was replaced by Charlotte Russe at the time, if I'm not mistaken.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 02 Jun 2022 19:12

R1070 wrote:
Proquest20 wrote:MANGO said that they’re looking to expand into Texas in 2023, so I think that seems to be the biggest possibility as to what’s going into the H&M space next.

Wasn't there a Mango store on the 2nd level of NorthPark at one point? It was replaced by Charlotte Russe at the time, if I'm not mistaken.

Are we talking about a different Mango? I couldn’t find anything about that, but I’m talking about a Spanish fashion brand that has been quoted about expanding. Here’s the article I’m going off of:
https://www.thrillist.com/amphtml/news/ ... -store-nyc
They said “The company is planning to expand even further in the United States in the next three years. With a focus on Florida, Mango aims to open 30 new stores across the country, which will bring the total number of US stores to 40. Among the main cities that are expected to see new Mango stores are Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles.”

R1070

Postby R1070 » 02 Jun 2022 19:16

I guess it was an "MNG by MANGO" store which is apparently smaller.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/dallas/Print?oid=7137802

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 02 Jun 2022 19:30

I don’t think those exist anymore, but the fact that the brand has had a presence within the mall in the past further pushes my belief that Mango will open at NorthPark next year.

I just hope H&M builds a store in Park Lane or Downtown or somewhere else - the Galleria acts as the only “mid-range mall” in Dallas proper, and for people closer to central Dallas, it’s not very practical to have to go to the Galleria or Town East for these stores, considering the Galleria is considered “far-north Dallas” and Town East is in a suburb. Park Lane has a pretty good line up of typical mall stores with The Childrens Place, Forever 21, and Charming Charlie having locations there, and I’ve been surprised other ex-NorthPark stores haven’t relocated there.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 02 Jun 2022 19:45

MANGO would make a lot of sense with Zara being right there. My other guess would be the Nike thing, but that store may stay put.

acclar11

Postby acclar11 » 02 Jun 2022 20:42

Proquest20 wrote:Topshop/Topman closed all of their stores in the US, including their Houston Galleria store, a couple of years ago. Since being bought out by ASOS, they no longer have any physical retail locations, however, their products are still sold in Nordstrom as Nordstrom and ASOS have a partnership.

COS closed their Austin store, although hopefully they do come to Dallas in the future. NorthPark would be a good fit, although I’d prefer to see them open on Knox instead.

I still place my bets on Mango being what takes over the H&M space.

I could see Mango opening at Galleria before it opens at NorthPark, kind of how Zara opened at Galleria before it did Northpark.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 02 Jun 2022 21:01

It would be a good fit at either one. A lot of stores that open up at the Galleria first end up opening a second one at NorthPark, like Morphe did.

acclar11

Postby acclar11 » 03 Jun 2022 09:48

H&M is completely closed. The space has already been dry-walled.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 03 Jun 2022 10:06

NorthPark is so quick to drywall their closed tenants, in comparison I went to Stonebriar a couple of days ago and the closed tenants (think Abercrombie, Disney, etc;) still had yet to be covered in drywall.

At the same time this could also mean that construction on the H&M space will start sooner rather than later.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 03 Jun 2022 13:12

I've learned over the years that if they put the flat drywall up, the space is being held. If they put out the boxed drywall, there's some construction taking place.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 03 Jun 2022 13:52

Kelley USA wrote:Restaurant JOEY is coming to Northpark- taking 12K sf. Build out is $8 million- GEEZ!

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2022018081

https://joeyrestaurants.com/

Just noticed that this tdlr form says work is scheduled to start on this in January 2023...

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 03 Jun 2022 14:09

It would be awesome to have an H&M downtown. Doesn't Fort Worth and Houston have H&Ms in their downtowns?

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 03 Jun 2022 14:41

A Downtown H&M would be awesome, but I think H&M heading to Knox or Deep Ellum seems more likely at the moment.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 03 Jun 2022 15:43

mdg109 wrote:It would be awesome to have an H&M downtown. Doesn't Fort Worth and Houston have H&Ms in their downtowns?

No. Neither of them.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 03 Jun 2022 15:43

mdg109 wrote:It would be awesome to have an H&M downtown. Doesn't Fort Worth and Houston have H&Ms in their downtowns?

No. Neither of them.

Addison

Postby Addison » 03 Jun 2022 15:49

Tucy wrote:

No. Neither of them.

Fort Worth did have a H&M in Sundance Square, but it was shuttered this past December.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 03 Jun 2022 15:51

The drywall around the H&M is the boxed type.

H&M had a store on Sundance Square, which since has permanently closed. Downtown Houston had a Forever 21.

As mentioned previously, there was talk about a fast fashion tenant entering the downtown market back when Forever 21 closed their NorthPark store.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/201 ... utType=amp

Not sure if there’s still talk about this today, but it would be neat to have an H&M open down there. I’ve always thought that downtown could really be a good retail district considering the presence of Neiman Marcus and Forty Five Ten.
Last edited by Proquest20 on 03 Jun 2022 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 03 Jun 2022 15:54

potatocoins wrote:A Downtown H&M would be awesome, but I think H&M heading to Knox or Deep Ellum seems more likely at the moment.

I’d prefer that they open in Mockingbird Station or Park Lane. Gap closed their Mockingbird store recently, so it would be good if H&M took over that space.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 03 Jun 2022 16:00

Proquest20 wrote:The drywall around the H&M is the boxed type.

H&M had a store on Sundance Square, which since has permanently closed. Downtown Houston had a Forever 21.

As mentioned previously, there was talk about a fast fashion tenant entering the downtown market back when Forever 21 closed their NorthPark store.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/201 ... utType=amp

Not sure if there’s still talk about this today, but it would be neat to have an H&M open down there. I’ve always thought that downtown could really be a good retail district considering the presence of Neiman Marcus and Forty Five Ten.

Sadly, the experience of the downtown Neiman Marcus and Forty Five Ten seems to suggest that downtown can not be a good retail district.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 03 Jun 2022 16:15

Okay, fine. Maybe they’ll open at Southwest Center Mall in the future as the redevelopment continues lol

acclar11

Postby acclar11 » 03 Jun 2022 19:38

R1070 wrote:I've learned over the years that if they put the flat drywall up, the space is being held. If they put out the boxed drywall, there's some construction taking place.

The only space that took forever to get drywalled is the former Gregory's in the Neiman's wing. That space still hasn't been filled for years.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 03 Jun 2022 19:52

acclar11 wrote:
R1070 wrote:I've learned over the years that if they put the flat drywall up, the space is being held. If they put out the boxed drywall, there's some construction taking place.

The only space that took forever to get drywalled is the former Gregory's in the Neiman's wing. That space still hasn't been filled for years.

Part of it was combined with the previous Panerai and Burberry spaces to make the new Gucci location. I imagine there was a plan in place there for a while. Now it's a smaller space that I'm sure will be home to something before too long. The NorthPark folks seem to think years ahead with leases and spaces, etc.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 04 Jun 2022 11:25

Hopefully Bvlgari takes that space and comes back

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 04 Jun 2022 11:35

Other stores I think need to move:
MAC should move to the second floor, closer to Sephora (possibly right next to UpWest)
Bath and Body Works should leave NorthPark and relocate to Park Lane. They have too many locations, and are found in literal strip malls. Where it’s at is also just too close to the luxury wing, so it should be on the second floor if it’s at NorthPark.
Corner Bakery looks strange where it’s at, especially with the transformation of that wing. I’d insist that they leave and turn into a more exclusive restaurant or two luxury stores, but it would be much better on the Macy’s side, maybe behind the movie theatre where there are two vacant restaurants that overlook the courtyard.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 04 Jun 2022 14:55

I remember someone discussing what would be going into the Gucci space after they relocate, and I found this article:
https://austin.culturemap.com/news/fash ... ion-brand/
With Prada currently expanding, and looking into the Austin market, I am now pretty confident that they will be taking over the Gucci space, as it is practically unheard of for a luxury brand to enter the Austin market before the Dallas market.

Their Neiman-Marcus pop ups clearly demonstrate an interest in the Dallas market as well.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 04 Jun 2022 14:57

Proquest20 wrote:Other stores I think need to move:
MAC should move to the second floor, closer to Sephora (possibly right next to UpWest)
Bath and Body Works should leave NorthPark and relocate to Park Lane. They have too many locations, and are found in literal strip malls. Where it’s at is also just too close to the luxury wing, so it should be on the second floor if it’s at NorthPark.
Corner Bakery looks strange where it’s at, especially with the transformation of that wing. I’d insist that they leave and turn into a more exclusive restaurant or two luxury stores, but it would be much better on the Macy’s side, maybe behind the movie theatre where there are two vacant restaurants that overlook the courtyard.

Sarah Flint is moving to the space next to UpWest. Not sure if it is still going to be a pop-up or an actually full buildout.

MAC could also move over by James Avery and such. Everything but Water and Bare Minerals need to go. Lego needs to move to a larger space, that store is always packed with a line a lot of the time. Upstairs... Buckle, Pinto Ranch the two eye doctor locations, Uptown Popcorn and some others should just leave the mall to free up more space. I could see Pinto Ranch going into Preston Center, Inwood Village or Snider Plaza.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 05 Jun 2022 06:16

Pinto Ranch does have premium products though (like boots that cost upwards of a thousand dollars), and I think NorthPark keeps it around because international visitors and other tourists pretty much expect to be able to see Texas-themed things in one of the top 3 malls in the state. Those places you mentioned would make a good location for it, though - it’s not like their Houston location is in the Galleria, but they also have one in the airport.

I feel like Lego would actually be a much better fit in The Galleria. That mall just seems much more family friendly, and Build-a-Bear actually moved there from NorthPark a long time ago. Although the NorthPark store definitely does numbers, so maybe they should just move it upstairs and build a second Dallas location there.

As for Buckle, it’s another store I think would look cool at Mockingbird Station. I feel like I’d expect that area to have more going for it considering its proximity to SMU.

Also, I don’t see the necessity for a T-Mobile store on the second floor when there’s a location at Park Lane. You’d think if you needed to go to T-Mobile, you wouldn’t want to go to the one in the mall when you have two options in such close proximity.

Addison

Postby Addison » 05 Jun 2022 08:18

Proquest20 wrote:Pinto Ranch does have premium products though (like boots that cost upwards of a thousand dollars), and I think NorthPark keeps it around because international visitors and other tourists pretty much expect to be able to see Texas-themed things in one of the top 3 malls in the state. Those places you mentioned would make a good location for it, though - it’s not like their Houston location is in the Galleria, but they also have one in the airport.

I feel like Lego would actually be a much better fit in The Galleria. That mall just seems much more family friendly, and Build-a-Bear actually moved there from NorthPark a long time ago. Although the NorthPark store definitely does numbers, so maybe they should just move it upstairs and build a second Dallas location there.

As for Buckle, it’s another store I think would look cool at Mockingbird Station. I feel like I’d expect that area to have more going for it considering its proximity to SMU.

Also, I don’t see the necessity for a T-Mobile store on the second floor when there’s a location at Park Lane. You’d think if you needed to go to T-Mobile, you wouldn’t want to go to the one in the mall when you have two options in such close proximity.

Unless it's some no-name local store they can shove around with what are likely unreasonable terms, or some retailer like Apple that's so desperate for a high-traffic venue because they can't do business anywhere else, management at the Galleria doesn't seem to be interested in courting any new stores.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 05 Jun 2022 09:08

The stores they’ve been adding recently haven’t been exclusive or high end at all, but Stance and Garage are brand new to the Dallas market and are pretty popular. Kendra Scott hosted a pop-up there recently, and Bearfruit is opening soon, which is probably the most notable store coming there. It seems like they’re really just getting the same stores as any other mid-range mall for the most part, but bringing a store like Lego to open there wouldn’t be hard; I’d love to see some current NorthPark stores relocate there.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 05 Jun 2022 14:18

The spot created next to the Vuori location looks to be part of larger H&M space project. It's shaping up to be a large space.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 10 Jun 2022 21:15

Loft is now gone. Could be a good space for Lululemon to move to...

The more time that goes on without a new store being announced for the former H&M space, makes me think it is in fact going to be the new home of Nike. I guess we shall wait and see.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 10 Jun 2022 21:36

If Nike’s going there then they’re probably only taking the first floor. Lululemon would be good in the Loft space or in the rest of the Express space.

That leaves Dallas with zero Loft locations since the Galleria lost theirs ages ago. It would be neat at West Village.

acclar11

Postby acclar11 » 11 Jun 2022 07:31

Proquest20 wrote:If Nike’s going there then they’re probably only taking the first floor. Lululemon would be good in the Loft space or in the rest of the Express space.

That leaves Dallas with zero Loft locations since the Galleria lost theirs ages ago. It would be neat at West Village.

Loft has a store at Mockingbird Station.

Dallasretail

Postby Dallasretail » 11 Jun 2022 07:44

I tend to shop in the luxury wing but also will do a some high low shopping by pairing something from J Crew or a chain store with something from Neimans. I hope that she can retain some of the staple mall stores. I do think foot traffic is important to a mall’s success.

For the Prada article - I do think there is a precedence for Austin to get stuff before Dallas due to their rep as a “cool city” with a lot of tech money. I am hopeful that Prada’s pop up success will translate into a full store. Has anyone been to River Oaks recently? I used to be envious of how many Texas exclusive stores they had but that list really seems to be dwindling. Do they have a ton of empty store fronts? I def would love Vilebrequin to return to Dallas as well as us getting a COS and a Zadig.

Addison

Postby Addison » 11 Jun 2022 08:02

Proquest20 wrote:I remember someone discussing what would be going into the Gucci space after they relocate, and I found this article:
https://austin.culturemap.com/news/fash ... ion-brand/
With Prada currently expanding, and looking into the Austin market, I am now pretty confident that they will be taking over the Gucci space, as it is practically unheard of for a luxury brand to enter the Austin market before the Dallas market.

Their Neiman-Marcus pop ups clearly demonstrate an interest in the Dallas market as well.

From the article:

"...Prada already operates stores in major U.S. cities like Dallas and Houston..."

Did we miss something? Since when did Dallas or Houston have a Prada store?

EDIT: Crazy enough, San Marcos of all places has a Prada store.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 11 Jun 2022 08:07

Re: Prada; it’s hard to take an article seriously when it includes this “information”: “Prada already operates stores in major U.S. cities like Dallas and Houston, but now plans to open locations in emerging “luxury centers” such as Austin, Atlanta, Seattle, and San Jose, . . .”

Prada does not have stores in either Houston or Dallas. Prada already has a store in Atlanta and Seattle and San Jose.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 11 Jun 2022 08:10

Addison wrote:
EDIT: Crazy enough, San Marcos of all places has a Prada store.

Not finding a San Marcos store on Prada’s website. Looks like they don’t show outlet stores on their website.

Dallasretail

Postby Dallasretail » 11 Jun 2022 08:28

Prada does consider their inter-department boutiques as stores. Per their website they have SFA Houston and Neimans NP as “stores” from a careers and location perspective.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Jun 2022 09:25

Wouldn't mind seeing Northpark make another big push to grow the trade from Latin America. Before the Great Recession, the mall staged a weekend fashion show and extravaganza with particular marketing to Mexican and South American customers.

With another million residents in the population center since then, it ought to be about time for another push to put Dallas Shopping on the minds of those who travel to shop. The campaign doesn't have to come just from NorthPark but the idea the other primary destination Highland Park Village, and tertiary destination in Uptown, Knox Street, Design District, Downtown Neimans/Main St would cooperate and coordinate a marketing campaign is pretty farfetched, but maybe the Tourist Bureau could do something about that (hahahaha). Neimans could try to shore-up the brand with the NorthPark store as the lure to an elevated downtown store that focuses on private showings. With the suits moving out of the building, the downtown store could really take the experience to the next level, maybe have suites available for a rotation of designers to setup residency for a couple months.

A city as pretentious as Dallas really does need to finally become a regular and reliable stop on the world top fashion circuit.

Addison

Postby Addison » 11 Jun 2022 10:58

tamtagon wrote:Wouldn't mind seeing Northpark make another big push to grow the trade from Latin America. Before the Great Recession, the mall staged a weekend fashion show and extravaganza with particular marketing to Mexican and South American customers.

With another million residents in the population center since then, it ought to be about time for another push to put Dallas Shopping on the minds of those who travel to shop. The campaign doesn't have to come just from NorthPark but the idea the other primary destination Highland Park Village, and tertiary destination in Uptown, Knox Street, Design District, Downtown Neimans/Main St would cooperate and coordinate a marketing campaign is pretty farfetched, but maybe the Tourist Bureau could do something about that (hahahaha). Neimans could try to shore-up the brand with the NorthPark store as the lure to an elevated downtown store that focuses on private showings. With the suits moving out of the building, the downtown store could really take the experience to the next level, maybe have suites available for a rotation of designers to setup residency for a couple months.

A city as pretentious as Dallas really does need to finally become a regular and reliable stop on the world top fashion circuit.

Unfortunately, the COVID pandemic, the worsening supply chain problems and our soured relationships with many other large foreign countries as of late has made it a lot more difficult to attempt the type of push you describe in today's environment.

It's for these same reasons that Dallas still has fewer consulates than legacy cities such as Detroit, as well as why we don't have hotels such as St. Regis or Mandarin Oriental.

Dallas will just have to continue grinding it out in the mean time. The city/metro will organically get there (where it becomes a top international destination) eventually as long as it continues to have a strong/diverse economy and grow briskly.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 11 Jun 2022 12:18

Tucy wrote:Re: Prada; it’s hard to take an article seriously when it includes this “information”: “Prada already operates stores in major U.S. cities like Dallas and Houston, but now plans to open locations in emerging “luxury centers” such as Austin, Atlanta, Seattle, and San Jose, . . .”

Prada does not have stores in either Houston or Dallas. Prada already has a store in Atlanta and Seattle and San Jose.

The Houston store is temporarily closed while moving to a new location within the Galleria. They are servicing customers at Saks in the meantime if I'm not mistaken. Dallas def needs a store.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 11 Jun 2022 15:29

R1070 wrote:
Tucy wrote:Re: Prada; it’s hard to take an article seriously when it includes this “information”: “Prada already operates stores in major U.S. cities like Dallas and Houston, but now plans to open locations in emerging “luxury centers” such as Austin, Atlanta, Seattle, and San Jose, . . .”

The Houston store is temporarily closed while moving to a new location within the Galleria. They are servicing customers at Saks in the meantime if I'm not mistaken. Dallas def needs a store.

If you say so. They've been closed going on 6 months. How long until their new location opens?

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 11 Jun 2022 17:27

Dallasretail wrote:I tend to shop in the luxury wing but also will do a some high low shopping by pairing something from J Crew or a chain store with something from Neimans. I hope that she can retain some of the staple mall stores. I do think foot traffic is important to a mall’s success.

For the Prada article - I do think there is a precedence for Austin to get stuff before Dallas due to their rep as a “cool city” with a lot of tech money. I am hopeful that Prada’s pop up success will translate into a full store. Has anyone been to River Oaks recently? I used to be envious of how many Texas exclusive stores they had but that list really seems to be dwindling. Do they have a ton of empty store fronts? I def would love Vilebrequin to return to Dallas as well as us getting a COS and a Zadig.

I think the stores that come to Austin before Dallas tend to be trendier and not necessarily luxury stores. Think Brandy Mellvile, which is only opening in Southlake this year after years of being in Austin, or COS, which isn’t necessarily a luxury store, but actually closed their Austin location. Austin does have potential to have more luxury stores, and I think both Austin and San Antonio are emerging in terms of being luxury shopping destinations. Dallas, however, seems to be more established, partially due to Neiman Marcus, a major airport that makes it more attractive to international visitors, our proximity to Oklahoma and Arkansas, along with the fact that many luxury stores have outlets in San Marcos, which is driving distance from both Austin and San Antonio. Austin only just now got an Hermes store, and it’s majorly unsurrounded by any other luxury stores. At the Domain, Gucci only just opened a few months ago, and Hublot is opening soon, years after having a location in Dallas. In a few years, as Austin continues to grow, it may become more of a destination for this type of retail.

A lot of River Oaks stores seem to have since moved back to the Galleria, like Tom Ford and Dior.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 13 Jun 2022 10:12

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... utType=amp

Nothing really new here except for that they agree on Uniqlo being what’s possibly coming to the space. I still have doubts considering the Houston store never actually opened, but would be nice.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Jun 2022 15:16

I went to the mall over the weekend and I was surprised, I am not sure why I haven't lived under a rock for that long to not know but the sheer number of spots that appear to be open for lease without any store opening branding was noticeable. At least Eatly was packed with people eating and shopping. I guess I am just not that used to seeing soooo many spots at NorthPark without active retailers. I am sad to see H&M close I was an H&M customer but only the NorthPark store since they carried more designer stuff at the NorthPark store than the suburban stores. I won't go to the Galleria so H&M cause I just don't like that mall and H&M isnt enough draw to drag me to the Galleria. Lord knows the 5 mins I spent in Firewheel and TownEast in the last 5 yrs was also a shock to my system. Malls just arent what they used to be and I am glad many are being torn down, to be honest.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 14 Jun 2022 15:18

You're so right. I hope at the very least, that next time H&M does a designer collab that the Galleria store can get merchandise from it now that the NorthPark store, which normally did, won't be open.

At least Willow Bend still has it's H&M and with how dead that place is, you'd have it all to yourself :lol: