Oak Cliff Progressing

lakewoodhobo

Re: Oak Cliff Progressing

Postby lakewoodhobo » 28 Feb 2023 09:04

Oak Cliff apartment project will bring affordable units
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ble-units/

Picture1.jpg

Builders have broken ground on a project that’s expected to set the tone for development in a North Oak Cliff district.

Dallas’ Mintwood Real Estate is teaming up with New York-based property investor MSquared to build the 219-unit apartment development on Colorado Boulevard at Interstate 35E.

The six-story apartment community will have a postcard view of the skyline across the Trinity River.

The project is the first of what’s expected to be a series of developments on the south bank of the river across from downtown.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 01 Mar 2023 19:37

Target will be building a store in Wynnewood Village, part of a larger remodel of that shopping center.

I can't wait to see this. Hopefully it will push HEB to bring a store in somewhere (The Canyon on I-30?) and/or push them to start construction on the planned Central Market in Bishop Arts.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... d-village/

Site plan available in this property flyer: https://edge-re.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... s-TX-5.pdf

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 01 Mar 2023 20:31

Wow! That's great news. I was just wishing for a Target in NOC while talking with a friend the other day, but could not figure out where they could put one. I'm wishing for an Ali Baba-style Mediterranean buffet next.

BigD5349

Postby BigD5349 » 01 Mar 2023 20:36

Great! Long overdue!

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 01 Mar 2023 20:43

Is oak cliff still dry?

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 01 Mar 2023 21:44

tamtagon wrote:Is oak cliff still dry?

Nope.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 02 Mar 2023 08:22

Beer and wine since 2012. Liquor stores are still prohibited and it may take a Texas constitutional amendment to allow them. However, since the city of Cockrell Hill began to allow liquor stores several years ago, you don’t need to cross the river for a handle of Tito’s anymore.

Re: Target, this is an absolute game changer. Whoever at TXDOT designed the new mile-long exit to Illinois Ave from I-35 southbound must’ve had some idea that Wynnewood Village would eventually become a traffic magnet. Also would love to remind the naysayers that when Target Cityplace opened in 1993, that area was a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

No doubt Target will attract other tenants, so this combined with the deck park is a massive success story for the central Oak Cliff area.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 02 Mar 2023 10:08

lakewoodhobo wrote:

Beer and wine since 2012. Liquor stores are still prohibited and it may take a Texas constitutional amendment to allow them. However, since the city of Cockrell Hill began to allow liquor stores several years ago, you don’t need to cross the river for a handle of Tito’s anymore.

Re: Target, this is an absolute game changer. Whoever at TXDOT designed the new mile-long exit to Illinois Ave from I-35 southbound must’ve had some idea that Wynnewood Village would eventually become a traffic magnet.

No doubt Target will attract other tenants, so this combined with the deck park is a massive success story for the central Oak Cliff area.

Agreed, it's nice that Wynnewood VIllage is turning back into a major shopping center like it once was. There use to be a 2 story Montgomery Ward Dept Store in the middle of the shopping center in the 90s. That was the main anchor store during that time. Red Bird Mall took a lot of the departments stores and other retailers when it opened in the 70s. The space where Ross is and the adjacent space where Fallas Parades use to be, once was a 2 level Titche's Dept Store (Dallas-based Dept Store chain). Titche's moved to Red Bird Mall and eventually became Dillard's. Hopefully, this results in a upgraded Kroger store too. At its peak, Wynnewood was the largest open air shopping center in Dallas. It was originally intended to be a regional shopping center.

Vintage postcard of Wynnewood Village in the 50s

752AA69D-F404-45D0-BDD6-BE487E181EF7.jpeg

Titche-Goettinger now partially a Ross

F636EFCE-1369-44C7-B807-78F5FAE1A996.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dallaz on 02 Mar 2023 16:59, edited 4 times in total.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 Mar 2023 14:22

I would think this would do well here. Glad to see it.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 02 Mar 2023 16:08

I like the name, Wynnewood village.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 02 Mar 2023 20:59

tamtagon wrote:I like the name, Wynnewood village.

Same. Another interesting fun fact, the same developer that built Six Flags — Angus G Wynne also developed the Wynnewood neighborhood and Wynnewood Village. He named the area after himself.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 02 Mar 2023 21:01

Tnexster wrote:I would think this would do well here. Glad to see it.

I think it will do well too

https://therealdeal.com/texas/2023/03/0 ... rn-dallas/

Brixmor Property Group, a publicly traded REIT, bought the 1940s-era shopping center about 15 years ago. In 2018, citing research indicating $781 million in unmet consumer demand in North Oak Cliff, it announced plans to invest about $30 million to renovate Wynnewood Village Shopping Center. Since then, L.A. Fitness and Five Below have taken up residence.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 03 Mar 2023 09:55

dallaz wrote:
Tnexster wrote:I would think this would do well here. Glad to see it.

I think it will do well too

https://therealdeal.com/texas/2023/03/0 ... rn-dallas/

Brixmor Property Group, a publicly traded REIT, bought the 1940s-era shopping center about 15 years ago. In 2018, citing research indicating $781 million in unmet consumer demand in North Oak Cliff, it announced plans to invest about $30 million to renovate Wynnewood Village Shopping Center. Since then, L.A. Fitness and Five Below have taken up residence.

Buried in that story:

"Construction on the Target store could begin this fall and be completed as soon as 2025."

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 03 Mar 2023 17:47

I am glad to see all the improvements to Wynnewood Village. I am really glad to see Target part of it. Just wondering why it would take so long to build. Those buildings are tilt-up panels and a flat roof.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 03 Mar 2023 18:37

LongonBigD wrote:I am glad to see all the improvements to Wynnewood Village. I am really glad to see Target part of it. Just wondering why it would take so long to build. Those buildings are tilt-up panels and a flat roof.

I wonder the same…

Also news clip from Fox 4

https://youtu.be/dSp68KVJMz8

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Mar 2023 08:42

Dallas approves Sprouts Farmers Market in North Oak Cliff
Sprouts store okayed in Oak Cliff after addressing environmental, walkability concerns.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... oak-cliff/

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Mar 2023 15:42

It's an exciting compromise considering it's still very much a suburban use for the site, but I also didn't expect the West Village urbanity to pop up here. Having a decently-priced grocery store is an excellent option for the continued growth of Oak Cliff.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 14 Mar 2023 10:17

Are they going to demo everything on the lot and rebuild or just renovate the existing buildings? I'm also curious how this will impact Cox Market.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 14 Mar 2023 18:43

MC_ScattCat wrote:Are they going to demo everything on the lot and rebuild or just renovate the existing buildings? I'm also curious how this will impact Cox Market.

Complete demo of entire site, buildings (Elrod's Cost Plus and Crown Buffet) as well as the current parking lots.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 20 Apr 2023 00:18

This project is making an impression just south of DTD. Or at least the crane is for now. I'd like to know if Related will also start their project across the street at the old dairy plant.

Oak Cliff apartment project will bring affordable units, skyline view of Dallas
Oakhouse apartments will be built just south of the Trinity River on Interstate 35E.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ble-units/

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 25 Apr 2023 14:23

There’s also a new multifamily project in the works on the corner of Bishop and Sunset Aves (seen it during CPC meeting online). New development is creeping closer to the Jefferson Blvd commercial area. It’s right behind that new apartment building on 10th and Bishop. Once the city did a complete streets redo on Bishop to Jefferson, I knew that area would really pop with new development. It’s seems like we’ll have continuous walkable development from Bishop Arts to Jefferson before you know it. I’m still waiting on them to complete Phase two of the Bishop Arts Exxir development tho. I wonder what’s up with that?

Black dot is the location behind the new grey apt building

DD223EA8-1B07-460B-A6EE-1DDB25D8A13D.jpeg

Google Street view

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ksG13SKtGYyAV8fy7?g_st=ic

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 25 Apr 2023 19:11

Finally: North Oak Cliff next on Central Market grocery store expansion list
https://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2023/0 ... al-market/

As much as I like Chad West, and as desperately as I want this store to happen, this seems like a puff piece. Early voting did just begin....
The article says that the North Oak Cliff location is next in line after the Uptown store, which the article says is stalled. Doesn't that mean this is stalled too?

Interesting tidbits from the article above:
In the meeting, West was told the Lake Cliff store is next in line behind the Central Market being built on McKinney Avenue. That project has been repeatedly stalled due to the pandemic and recent rising costs of construction, and is now on hold due to financing that makes the project “not doable.”

The land is zoned as a WMU-5 (walkable mixed-use, five stories.) Current plans for the grocery store building show a one story parking garage, a second story Central Market, and three stories of apartment housing above the grocery store.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 26 Apr 2023 08:35

This CM can't come quick enough!

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 26 Apr 2023 10:15

Yeah, that story seems like a nothing-burger to me. It basically say that the Oak Cliff CM is happening right after the CM that is never happening.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 11 May 2023 18:56

Construction fence installed this morning around the Target Wynnewood site. I thought this wasn't starting for several months, and that may still be the case, but I don't understand the point of this unless construction were imminent.

Target fence-2 Large.jpeg

Target fence-1 Large.jpeg

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 15 May 2023 16:18

In-situ renderings of Target dwarfing LA Fitness.

Target Wynnewood.jpg

And a renovated Kroger!

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 4.24.27 PM.jpg

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 01 Jun 2023 13:23

Have they announced when construction will start on the Oak Cliff Sprouts?

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 06 Jun 2023 10:48

H-E-B’s low-price concept Joe V’s Smart Shop is coming to Dallas

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... to-dallas/

The value concept that’s focused on produce, meat and seafood, leverages H-E-B’s $38 billion a year grocery business to offer low prices, while it includes amenities that H-E-B is known for such as an in-store bakery that makes tortillas daily and butchers cutting and packing fresh meat in the store.

Joe V’s Smart Shop will open in southern Dallas at 4101 W. Wheatland Road in late summer 2024. H-E-B purchased the 58,940-square-foot building in January 2022. It was originally built for Albertsons in 1985 and closed in 2004.

A second Joe V’s will open in spring 2025 in east Dallas at 5204 S. Buckner Boulevard on the southwest corner of the intersection with Samuell Boulevard. H-E-B is building that store on 11 acres it purchased in late 2014.

“Joe V’s stores were created for neighborhoods that are densely populated but aren’t growing,” Orsak said. “That’s very different from any other retailer, but we can make it work. For an H-E-B store, we need a lot of growth in population.”

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 01 Jul 2023 16:03

dallaz wrote:There’s also a new multifamily project in the works on the corner of Bishop and Sunset Aves (seen it during CPC meeting online). New development is creeping closer to the Jefferson Blvd commercial area. It’s right behind that new apartment building on 10th and Bishop. Once the city did a complete streets redo on Bishop to Jefferson, I knew that area would really pop with new development. It’s seems like we’ll have continuous walkable development from Bishop Arts to Jefferson before you know it. I’m still waiting on them to complete Phase two of the Bishop Arts Exxir development tho. I wonder what’s up with that?

Black dot is the location behind the new grey apt building

DD223EA8-1B07-460B-A6EE-1DDB25D8A13D.jpeg

Google Street view

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ksG13SKtGYyAV8fy7?g_st=ic

This one was approved. It will have a parking garage at the first level. No design as of yet.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 12 Jul 2023 03:36

Rendering of the old Wonderland Pet store on Jefferson and Zang. I’m just now seeing what it’ll look like. I noticed a lot of the renovated storefronts are either white or grey. I guess that’s the color of choice nowadays?

IMG_4871.jpeg

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Jul 2023 12:39

Yeah property owners in the Jefferson Blvd area are looking to attract Bishop Arts type tenants aka not hispanic businesses that have existed there for the last few decades but hipster/boutique commercial retail/restaurant businesses. The owners are doing what we did in the 80's to try to get high rents with old properties. Super modernize the architecture of existing buildings and try to rent for Uptown prices. Removing all historical architecture character to sell to a new class of high rent paying tenants that might jump to the Bishop Arts/Jefferson Blvd market from places like Lakewood, Oak Lawn, Uptown, Knox Henderson, even Henderson Ave or Lower Greenville. I am not in love with most of the "modernization" styles they are doing as they feel cheap imitators compared to actual modern architecture.

I wonder if Jefferson Blvd will end up exploding like Deep Ellum and end up with a sizable bar/night life in the next decade or will it stabilize around other business types rather than just repeat chain restaurants/clubs from out of town companies like what has happened with Deep Ellum.

Both Deep Ellum and Jefferson Blvd have good bones of walkability but both have different surroundings affecting their new development. Both have sizable new apartment development but Deep Ellum is kinda boxed in with warehouses, a highway, Major hospital and DART tracks. While Bishop Arts actually has single family neighborhoods that will affect its ability to shift towards nightlife. East Dallas neighborhoods were finally able to wrangle Greenville Ave in many ways so that may be more of the likely outcome on Jefferson Blvd where the city might step in when you have whole neighborhoods pushing for parking restrictions, limiting business types and discouraging late night permits.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 12 Jul 2023 13:55

I know they are working on extending the Jefferson Ave. redo that completed a few years ago further west and from all indications the streetcar will be extended to Zang & Davis.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 12 Jul 2023 15:21

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Yeah property owners in the Jefferson Blvd area are looking to attract Bishop Arts type tenants aka not hispanic businesses that have existed there for the last few decades but hipster/boutique commercial retail/restaurant businesses. The owners are doing what we did in the 80's to try to get high rents with old properties. Super modernize the architecture of existing buildings and try to rent for Uptown prices. Removing all historical architecture character to sell to a new class of high rent paying tenants that might jump to the Bishop Arts/Jefferson Blvd market from places like Lakewood, Oak Lawn, Uptown, Knox Henderson, even Henderson Ave or Lower Greenville. I am not in love with most of the "modernization" styles they are doing as they feel cheap imitators compared to actual modern architecture.

I wonder if Jefferson Blvd will end up exploding like Deep Ellum and end up with a sizable bar/night life in the next decade or will it stabilize around other business types rather than just repeat chain restaurants/clubs from out of town companies like what has happened with Deep Ellum.

Both Deep Ellum and Jefferson Blvd have good bones of walkability but both have different surroundings affecting their new development. Both have sizable new apartment development but Deep Ellum is kinda boxed in with warehouses, a highway, Major hospital and DART tracks. While Bishop Arts actually has single family neighborhoods that will affect its ability to shift towards nightlife. East Dallas neighborhoods were finally able to wrangle Greenville Ave in many ways so that may be more of the likely outcome on Jefferson Blvd where the city might step in when you have whole neighborhoods pushing for parking restrictions, limiting business types and discouraging late night permits.

I agree, I don't love the modernization either, but at the same time I do like they're making improvements to existing buildings.

Here's another one that I've seen as well

Before

IMG_4872.jpeg

After

IMG_4873.jpeg

In 2014, the entire Jefferson Blvd area was rezoned to help further revitalize the area. The goal being to make it a "premier main st" again. The Dallas City council meeting from Aug. 27,2014 (scroll down to Item 78, if any one is interested) is when the rezoning was approved. https://dallastx.new.swagit.com/videos/201808

Rezoning briefing from 2014 - https://www.scribd.com/document/2299116 ... -Briefing#

I also think it will eventually turn into a much larger version on Lower Greenville. With more of a live, work, play type of environment. I think there are quite a few of the retail buildings that are multi-story. At 308-338 W. Jefferson Blvd, there are plans to convert the upper floors into lofts. http://www.gideoninterests.com/306-338- ... ave.-.html
Last edited by dallaz on 12 Jul 2023 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 12 Jul 2023 15:27

MC_ScattCat wrote:I know they are working on extending the Jefferson Ave. redo that completed a few years ago further west and from all indications the streetcar will be extended to Zang & Davis.

Yep, I was just about to mention the completion of the redo on Jefferson. I didn't know they are planning to extend it. I thought it would make sense to do it. Sort of like the MATA loop in Uptown.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 06 Sep 2023 17:54

I thought this would be interesting to share. This is an aerial view of the Jefferson Blvd/Bishop Arts District area. It gives a good view of all the development that has taken place in the last 10 years. You can also see the projects U/C and the cleared lots for new projects.

10/2013
jefferson 10-2013.jpg

7/2023

jefferson 7-2023 (2).jpg

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 31 Jan 2024 01:01

A few dining establishments coming soon to Oak Cliff, based off of retail leasing plans posted online:

WaBa Grill:
-Asian healthy grilled meat plate/bowl chain from AZ/CA (https://www.wabagrill.com/)
-This will be the first DFW location
-Opening January or February at 2222 Fort Worth Avenue (24 Hour Fitness retail plaza)
-Press Article: https://whatnowdfw.com/fort-worth-to-we ... arly-2024/
-Plaza leasing plan: https://www.weitzmangroup.com/files/pro ... 096549.pdf

The Wee Chippy:
-Los Angeles based fish & chips restaurant just starting national expansion (http://www.weechippy.com)
-There is currently only one location in Venice, CA. Franchise agreements have been signed for national expansion.
-Opening date N/A, Location is the refurbished retail plaza at NW corner of Fort Worth Ave and Jacqueline Drive (formerly slated for new build Starbucks)
-Plaza leasing plan: https://theretailconnection.net/wp-cont ... .14.23.pdf

Fatburger:
-Los Angeles based burger chain (http://www.fatburger.com)
-There are already several DFW location, but this should be the first Dallas proper location
-Opening date N/A, Location is the refurbished retail plaza at NW corner of Fort Worth Ave and Jacqueline Drive (formerly slated for new build Starbucks)

As I predicted, the refurbished retail plaza mentioned above that was originally going to be demolished for a Starbucks was spared because Starbucks was able to secure a location in the new Sprouts retail plaza going in at FW Avenue and Hampton:

Starbucks:
-Going in at new Sprouts development at 1350 N Hampton (http://www.starbucks.com)
-Looks like it's big enough to accommodate both indoor and drive thru
-Opening date N/A, we should be able to estimate once the Chinese buffet and Elrod's are demolished
-Plaza leasing plan: https://vistapropertyco.com/wp-content/ ... Plan-2.pdf

Nothing Bundt Cakes:
-Going in at new Sprouts development at 1350 N Hampton (http://www.nothingbundtcakes.com)
-Listed as "lease pending" and will take up one of 3 open retail spots on the south side of the new Sprouts
-Opening date N/A, we should be able to estimate once the Chinese buffet and Elrod's are demolished

RETAIL coming to Oak Cliff:

Pet Supplies Plus:
-Going into the retail plaza at 412 S Hampton, across from Tom Thumb
-This plaza is currently being refurbished, and it seems most of the tenants are being booted. There are several availabilities. Rent A Center is still operating but the space is available to lease. A new primary care clinic chain called Suvida has just opened.
-Plaza leasing plan: https://shopcompanies.com/sites/default ... 1704830656

Jowa:
-Korean clothing designer, now open at 402 W 8th in Bishop Arts (http://www.thejowa.com)
-This is the designer's only location

There are probably many more. This is just a few I've found. Feel free to add more if you know any and want to promote the business coming to our area!

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 31 Jan 2024 05:39

Is silverlake relocating to oak cliff? Haha

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 31 Jan 2024 07:54

Quite the scoop! Thank you for sharing all this.

Matt777 wrote:A few dining establishments coming soon to Oak Cliff, based off of retail leasing plans posted online:

WaBa Grill:
-Asian healthy grilled meat plate/bowl chain from AZ/CA (https://www.wabagrill.com/)
-This will be the first DFW location
-Opening January or February at 2222 Fort Worth Avenue (24 Hour Fitness retail plaza)
-Press Article: https://whatnowdfw.com/fort-worth-to-we ... arly-2024/
-Plaza leasing plan: https://www.weitzmangroup.com/files/pro ... 096549.pdf

The Wee Chippy:
-Los Angeles based fish & chips restaurant just starting national expansion (http://www.weechippy.com)
-There is currently only one location in Venice, CA. Franchise agreements have been signed for national expansion.

Fatburger:
-Los Angeles based burger chain (http://www.fatburger.com)
-There are already several DFW location, but this should be the first Dallas proper location

As I predicted, the refurbished retail plaza mentioned above that was originally going to be demolished for a Starbucks was spared because Starbucks was able to secure a location in the new Sprouts retail plaza going in at FW Avenue and Hampton:

Starbucks:
-Going in at new Sprouts development at 1350 N Hampton (http://www.starbucks.com)
-Looks like it's big enough to accommodate both indoor and drive thru

Nothing Bundt Cakes:
-Going in at new Sprouts development at 1350 N Hampton (http://www.nothingbundtcakes.com)
-Listed as "lease pending" and will take up one of 3 open retail spots on the south side of the new Sprouts

Pet Supplies Plus:
-This plaza is currently being refurbished, and it seems most of the tenants are being booted. There are several availabilities. Rent A Center is still operating but the space is available to lease. A new primary care clinic chain called Suvida has just opened.

Jowa:
-Korean clothing designer, now open at 402 W 8th in Bishop Arts (http://www.thejowa.com)
-This is the designer's only location

There are probably many more. This is just a few I've found. Feel free to add more if you know any and want to promote the business coming to our area!

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 31 Jan 2024 08:54

That's a lot of work to do if sprouts is going to open by the end of the year as they claim.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 31 Jan 2024 11:42

MC_ScattCat wrote:That's a lot of work to do if sprouts is going to open by the end of the year as they claim.

It sure is. I'm really hoping they achieve that goal because I can't wait to stick it to the Tom Thumb on Hampton and their outrageously inflated prices. They know the customer base has no other similar options nearby.
The Shop Companies leasing page for Hampton Village across the street mentions that it is the "#1 Tom Thumb in DFW for # of visits" which is insane considering how small and cramped it is, but I believe it based on the always crowded parking lot. I've starting shopping very early or very late to avoid the chaos there.

I've mentioned before that another leasing document for a shopping center across from the Walmart at 30/Cockrell Hill mentions that specific Walmart is the #1 performing Walmart in Texas. Just further proof that Oak Cliff is very underserved from a retail perspective.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 31 Jan 2024 12:54

I think this was discussed here or on the Discord channel before, but there is also some planned development at The Canyon at Westmoreland and I-30.

Appearing on the leasing plan are Texas Roadhouse, Denny's, Starbucks, a new Hilton hotel (+/- 100 rooms), a new garden style multifamily development, and some additional unleased spaces:
https://dbarealestate.com/wp-content/up ... -Cliff.pdf

I haven't noticed any construction on these sites yet but I will check closer the next time I pass by the area.

If this happens, Starbucks will have a location at 3 I-30 exits in a row, Hampton, Westmoreland, and Cockrell Hill.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 31 Jan 2024 15:49

Matt777 wrote:
MC_ScattCat wrote:That's a lot of work to do if sprouts is going to open by the end of the year as they claim.

It sure is. I'm really hoping they achieve that goal because I can't wait to stick it to the Tom Thumb on Hampton and their outrageously inflated prices. They know the customer base has no other similar options nearby.
The Shop Companies leasing page for Hampton Village across the street mentions that it is the "#1 Tom Thumb in DFW for # of visits" which is insane considering how small and cramped it is, but I believe it based on the always crowded parking lot. I've starting shopping very early or very late to avoid the chaos there.

I've mentioned before that another leasing document for a shopping center across from the Walmart at 30/Cockrell Hill mentions that specific Walmart is the #1 performing Walmart in Texas. Just further proof that Oak Cliff is very underserved from a retail perspective.

Well as of today the Chinese Buffet is still open. I agree that we are underserved. I go to Cox Market a lot, but they are small and don't have a lot of items we cook with. Also, they can be a bit pricey. An HEB would make so much money here, but we need to take of the suburbs first....

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 31 Jan 2024 16:47

Matt777 wrote:I think this was discussed here or on the Discord channel before, but there is also some planned development at The Canyon at Westmoreland and I-30.

Appearing on the leasing plan are Texas Roadhouse, Denny's, Starbucks, a new Hilton hotel (+/- 100 rooms), a new garden style multifamily development, and some additional unleased spaces:
https://dbarealestate.com/wp-content/up ... -Cliff.pdf

I haven't noticed any construction on these sites yet but I will check closer the next time I pass by the area.

If this happens, Starbucks will have a location at 3 I-30 exits in a row, Hampton, Westmoreland, and Cockrell Hill.

I-30 at The Canyon is the last great hope for an HEB in Oak Cliff as the grocery playing field looks like today. I would love for the Kroger/Albertsons merger to happen and we somehow end up with an HEB at Wynnewood Village.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 08 Feb 2024 16:24

Matt777 wrote:A few dining establishments coming soon to Oak Cliff, based off of retail leasing plans posted online:

Pet Supplies Plus:

Small update. Hampton Village (across from Thom Thumb) has also signed Lucky Rice, a Chinese restaurant which currently operates a location near I-30/Cockrell Hill.

Botolino Gelato (fantastic) is now open in Bishop Arts. This is in addition to their Lower Greenville main store.

The lease plan for the Exxir development in Bishop Arts is showing some interesting information. I'm not sure how updated this is. It includes development on the current large surface parking lot at Bishop and 9th. In addition to more apartments and retail, I also see 2 small hotels. This is under "announced developments" and includes both Exxir and non-Exxir properties.

https://shopcompanies.com/sites/default ... 1696262664

Total:
Approx. $350m in development
1,586 new residential units
84,000 sf Retail
112,000 sf Office
140 Unit Hotel

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 08 Feb 2024 16:25

Matt777 wrote:

Pet Supplies Plus:

Small update. Hampton Village (across from Thom Thumb) has also signed Lucky Rice, a Chinese restaurant which currently operates a location near I-30/Cockrell Hill.

Botolino Gelato (fantastic) is now open in Bishop Arts. This is in addition to their Lower Greenville main store.

The lease plan for the Exxir development in Bishop Arts is showing some interesting information. I'm not sure how updated this is. It includes development on the current large surface parking lot at Bishop and 9th. In addition to more apartments and retail, I also see 2 small hotels. This is under "scheduled developments" and includes both Exxir and non-Exxir properties.

Total:
84,000 sf Retail
112,000 sf Office
140 Unit Hotel

I think the hotel element will go a long way in making this area an even better attraction.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 08 Feb 2024 17:23

Matt777 wrote:
Matt777 wrote:

Pet Supplies Plus:

The lease plan for the Exxir development in Bishop Arts is showing some interesting information. I'm not sure how updated this is. It includes development on the current large surface parking lot at Bishop and 9th. In addition to more apartments and retail, I also see 2 small hotels. This is under "scheduled developments" and includes both Exxir and non-Exxir properties.

Total:
84,000 sf Retail
112,000 sf Office
140 Unit Hotel

I think the hotel element will go a long way in making this area an even better attraction.

Yeah. The phase two portion was always apart of the plan. Just taking them forever to build it. 9th street will also be tuned into a woonerf, since the city abandoned it and gave it to the developer a few years ago.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 09 Feb 2024 11:47

dallaz wrote:The phase two portion was always apart of the plan. Just taking them forever to build it. 9th street will also be tuned into a woonerf, since the city abandoned it and gave it to the developer a few years ago.

I'm glad to see the retail building between 9th and Adams is independent of the apartment building. That way something gets done in the short term while they figure out that other massive project.

Now if there's money in the bond program for new NOC branch library and it's rebuilt to face N Bishop Ave, that'll be a huge step forward.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 12 Feb 2024 08:37

lakewoodhobo wrote:
dallaz wrote:The phase two portion was always apart of the plan. Just taking them forever to build it. 9th street will also be tuned into a woonerf, since the city abandoned it and gave it to the developer a few years ago.

I'm glad to see the retail building between 9th and Adams is independent of the apartment building. That way something gets done in the short term while they figure out that other massive project.

Now if there's money in the bond program for new NOC branch library and it's rebuilt to face N Bishop Ave, that'll be a huge step forward.

Same. It looks like Jefferson Blvd (which is the old Downtown Oak Cliff) and Bishop Arts will be connected soon enough. That’s why they did the complete streets redo on Bishop Ave a few years back, to help encourage that connection. They want a seamless development connection with vibrant pedestrian activity. The walkscore for the Jefferson Blvd and Bishop Ave is 94. You can see the mid-rises that have been built too.

My sloppy doodling kinda shows were the infill is planned between the two. About 4 blocks or so that needs to be infilled.

Blue box - phase 2
Black box - new planned multifamily
Orange box - NOC library
Red arrow - Bishop Ave

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 12 Feb 2024 11:19

The Library is in the approved bond list for a re-do.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 12 Feb 2024 18:47

MC_ScattCat wrote:The Library is in the approved bond list for a re-do.

Thanks, didn’t know that.

Proposed $5M development in Oak Cliff would transform former library site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiRvcjgjlXI