HyperLoop One

deweast1

HyperLoop One

Postby deweast1 » 07 Apr 2017 13:28

This may be bleeding edge today, but three or four years from now because of efforts both in the USA and UAE it could become a very viable transportation system...one that is several times faster than a bullet train and is easier/cheaper to build, plus it is almost twice as fast as an airplane . It should create very little, if any, disturbance as it moves through the country side and would be unaffected by weather, plus It can deliver its customer directly downtown, and future years, because of the pod/modular design, could even deliver you to your final destination--including your front door.

https://hyperloop-one.com/blog/last-mil ... ous-vision

https://hyperloop-one.com/hyperloop-one ... -challenge

muncien

Re: HyperLoop One

Postby muncien » 07 Apr 2017 14:18

fwiw... I believe we currently have more hyperloop track built in North America than bullet train track. :D
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 07 Apr 2017 19:13

With all the potential stops, this technology seems better for I-35 corridor cities (OKC - Monterrey) than the HSR.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 08 Apr 2017 03:21

This project, if successful, would hinder the HSR as obsolete.

electricron

Postby electricron » 08 Apr 2017 09:49

"It could become" like predicates rings doubts to me.

Just my opinion, hyperloops will not be in commercial revenue operations in the USA until FAA, FRA, FTA, or USDOT make safety regulations for that means of transport. I just wanted to point out that no one is pushing to make those regulations.

It will only take one bad regulation to effectively kill them commercially.

deweast1

Postby deweast1 » 08 Apr 2017 10:27

There is no question the next 15 years of accelerated change will be challenged by regulators in several aspects of our lives. That said; if the UAE is successful in becoming the leader in the next generation of transportation the USA will be forced to respond. The regulators/bureaucracy will be under pressure to regulate and not procrastinate. First, however the system must be built full scale somewhere in order to even get it out of the gate. Best guess is the UAE will be the first fully functional long range installation. They do not have the various entities that will lose if HyperLoop is doable and have a government that has stated they WANT to be the 21st century leader in new transportation and that includes autonomous autos, trucks, buses and HyperLoop.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 08 Apr 2017 10:45

I'm perfectly fine with a fundamental shift in the function of DFW and Love Airports. The amount of air pollution from those operations is sickening.... if HSR, HyperLoop or a combo of the two eliminates most of the short haul plane trips, then good.

Looking at the struggle of energy source providers, though, we're in for a long drawn-out expensive mess.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 08 Apr 2017 11:36

Where exactly are these things placed? Above ground, below or both? I'm just curious about the land issue and all the problems encountered by the NIMBY's just over HSR.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 08 Apr 2017 11:46

Tnexster wrote:Where exactly are these things placed? Above ground, below or both? I'm just curious about the land issue and all the problems encountered by the NIMBY's just over HSR.

What's difficult about Hyperloop is that unlike trains they don't have Eminent Domian abilities, at least it hasn't been legally defined that they do. So they would have to buy land all the way to their destination. It would be more difficult IMO, especially since the technology is relatively unproven in the travel industry. I think the idea would be great if if they built them above the highways.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 08 Apr 2017 11:47

This all sounds like people in the 1950's saying "let's stop building roads because in a few years we will all be in flying cars!"

Build the HSR.

Fitch

Postby Fitch » 10 Apr 2017 13:07

After hearing the ticket price of the HSR I've cooled on it. Would still probably use it, though.

The hyperloop seems like a will-happen technology at this point, same as driverless cars. Given a choice between the two, the hyperloop concept seems more appealing, but as it was correctly pointed out - only one currently exists today and has the legal precedent of existing.