Deep Ellum: Epic ~ Knights of Pythias Temple

eburress

Re: Deep Ellum: Epic ~ Knights of Pythias Temple

Postby eburress » 22 Aug 2019 06:04

Hannibal Lecter wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:Still if all he can think of is more parking then thanks, but no thanks. What Deep Ellum needs is better pedestrian access to Downtown.

Said no one who lives or works in Deep Ellum.

Ever.

I know people living in Deep Ellum who've said that very thing.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 22 Aug 2019 07:22

Hannibal Lecter wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:Still if all he can think of is more parking then thanks, but no thanks. What Deep Ellum needs is better pedestrian access to Downtown.

Said no one who lives or works in Deep Ellum.

Ever.

LOL you must really hate walking. How sad to get so triggered at the idea of using your own two legs.

Even Michael Morris says Deep Ellum needs better connectivity with downtown. Some folks actually do work in the CBD and live east of 345.

eburress

Postby eburress » 22 Aug 2019 09:07

lakewoodhobo wrote:What Deep Ellum needs is better pedestrian access to Downtown.

And looking at it from the opposite perspective, one of the things Downtown needs is better pedestrian access to Deep Ellum.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 22 Aug 2019 09:34

Sounds like things are going to happen fast, this area of downtown won't be the same a year from now. Between Uber, DART and East Quarter, lots of change.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Aug 2019 09:39

Deep Ellum also never got any attention from City Hall on new transportation initiatives like the modern streetcar. This could cause them to rethink that as well. A line that goes East to West isn't a bad idea. If you plan a new line you could connect where MATA ends downtown head East and loop up into East Dallas to the housing stock in that direction. Connecting the CBD/Deep Ellum and East Dallas homes.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

citygeek

Postby citygeek » 22 Aug 2019 09:46

Good idea Cowboy Eagle 05!
"To love ..(a).. city and to have a part in its advancement and improvement is the highest priority and duty of a citizen."
Daniel Burnham, 1909

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Aug 2019 09:52

And of course I missed mentioning connecting Baylor as well to more housing stock and patients.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 22 Aug 2019 10:05

cowboyeagle05 wrote:And of course I missed mentioning connecting Baylor as well to more housing stock and patients.

I forget about that Baylor office complex going up over there. Another upcoming contributor to daytime population numbers in DE.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 22 Aug 2019 10:50

So: What Does Uber's Arrival Really Mean For Deep Ellum?
https://www.centraltrack.com/so-what-do ... eep-ellum/

Luring Uber Is Just The Start For Deep Ellum’s Biggest Land Owner, Westdale Asset Management. Next Up? Another Epic Tower And A Murky Lizard Lounge Future.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 22 Aug 2019 12:18

lakewoodhobo wrote:LOL you must really hate walking. How sad to get so triggered at the idea of using your own two legs.

In Pokemon Go I've recorded over 4,100 km -- that's 4.1 million steps -- over the past three years.

You were saying?

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 22 Aug 2019 12:49

^(lol, Touché) I just hope this encourages interest to develop the downtown lots between Elm and Pacific.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 22 Aug 2019 13:20

Hannibal Lecter wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:LOL you must really hate walking. How sad to get so triggered at the idea of using your own two legs.

In Pokemon Go I've recorded over 4,100 km -- that's 4.1 million steps -- over the past three years.

You were saying?

I'll correct my statement. What Deep Ellum needs is more pokéstops between there and downtown.

mdg109 wrote:I just hope this encourages interest to develop the downtown lots between Elm and Pacific.

Those lots just became a lot more valuable and it's about damn time.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 22 Aug 2019 14:08

Now that's an idea we can all get behind!

muncien

Postby muncien » 23 Aug 2019 10:15

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Deep Ellum also never got any attention from City Hall on new transportation initiatives like the modern streetcar. This could cause them to rethink that as well. A line that goes East to West isn't a bad idea. If you plan a new line you could connect where MATA ends downtown head East and loop up into East Dallas to the housing stock in that direction. Connecting the CBD/Deep Ellum and East Dallas homes.

Would it be wrong to say that we should do this INSTEAD of D2 (which seriously... serves almost nobody and costs a boat load).
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

eburress

Postby eburress » 23 Aug 2019 10:23

^^ I'd take a streetcar over D2. Being able to take a streetcar from East Dallas to Bishop Arts, stopping along the way in Deep Ellum, Downtown, etc, would be a dream.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 23 Aug 2019 11:49

muncien wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:Deep Ellum also never got any attention from City Hall on new transportation initiatives like the modern streetcar. This could cause them to rethink that as well. A line that goes East to West isn't a bad idea. If you plan a new line you could connect where MATA ends downtown head East and loop up into East Dallas to the housing stock in that direction. Connecting the CBD/Deep Ellum and East Dallas homes.

Would it be wrong to say that we should do this INSTEAD of D2 (which seriously... serves almost nobody and costs a boat load).

Might be a close call, but I would still put D2 over that modern street car route. D2 puts many more train stations in the CBD/Victory and will increase the entire system ridership potential.

If we're able to actually get a lane in the surface street grids for a modern street car, I'd be fine with electric buses and pedestrian corridor instead of the modern street car.

BUT in any of this neighborhood connecting dedicated route infrastructure, the convenience and comfort level of bus/streetcar stop is the priority - a signpost, a couple benches and a small canopy is inadequate to the point of neglect. The stops must themselves encourage usage.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 23 Aug 2019 12:13

Fortunately I think it's going to be pretty well impossible to put a streetcar line down Elm, Main or Commerce. When all three are converted to two-way streets with one lane each way they will be in total gridlock much of the day.

Streetcars aren't good at going around band equipment vans, beer delivery trucks and grubhub drivers blocking the tracks for 5 minutes. Maybe they could put a cowcatcher on the front. :-)

Canton could work, but it's going to be crazy with all the traffic shifting over from Elm and Commerce.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 23 Aug 2019 12:20

tamtagon wrote:D2 puts many more train stations in the CBD/Victory and will increase the entire system ridership potential.

Why spend over a billion dollars to increase "potential" in a system that's losing ridership every year? Even DART's own numbers project D2 only adding a few dozen new riders to the system per day. DART's losing more riders than that every week.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 23 Aug 2019 12:50

Hannibal Lecter wrote:Fortunately I think it's going to be pretty well impossible to put a streetcar line down Elm, Main or Commerce. When all three are converted to two-way streets with one lane each way they will be in total gridlock much of the day.

Wait, this is planned and definitely happening? When will the conversion take place?

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 23 Aug 2019 14:02

After they rebuild Commerce Street. They've already done Elm. Next few years. I'm thinking about selling before the construction starts.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 30 Aug 2019 17:16

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 31 Aug 2019 11:44

The good news is the old buildings across the street from this are now being renovated to be able to take on retail/restaurant tenants as well.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 04 Sep 2019 15:15

Some Uber employees already working in Deep Ellum office space
"They started occupying this building today on floors 7 and 8," Westdale CEO Joe Beard said. Westdale is the developer of The Epic in Deep Ellum.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local ... 8620e449b1

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Sep 2019 13:21

I like how WFAA on their map showed UBER being where the residential tower is being built by streetlights...guess the graphics guy didn't care and neither did the producer.

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 11 Sep 2019 01:03

https://www.loopnet.com/learn/behind-th ... 287290354/

More on uber move to DE... taking up 618,000 square feet of office.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 11 Sep 2019 08:43

I hope this will spur growth among the sea of surface lots in the east part of Downtown. I feel like this area has great potential for some condo towers like in uptown. Just a dream though...

eburress

Postby eburress » 11 Sep 2019 09:14

MC_ScattCat wrote:I hope this will spur growth among the sea of surface lots in the east part of Downtown. I feel like this area has great potential for some condo towers like in uptown. Just a dream though...

With Pacific Plaza's construction wrapping soon, I'm betting we see those nearby lots built upon much sooner than folks might expect.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 11 Sep 2019 09:45

eburress wrote:
MC_ScattCat wrote:I hope this will spur growth among the sea of surface lots in the east part of Downtown. I feel like this area has great potential for some condo towers like in uptown. Just a dream though...

With Pacific Plaza's construction wrapping soon, I'm betting we see those nearby lots built upon much sooner than folks might expect.
Kinda like what Klyde Warren Park has done to the Arts District/Uptown area. I hope that happens...

eburress

Postby eburress » 11 Sep 2019 10:12

^^ Exactly. Same thing should eventually happen with Harwood Park.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 11 Sep 2019 10:28

eburress wrote:

True, that and Uber landing nearby, I bet something happens sooner than later with those lots.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Sep 2019 10:31

Klyde Warren was already in profitable area they just added some nitro to the Uptown effect is all. Plus Klyde Warren is managed by its own foundation which is allegiant to Uptown developers and property owners. All the rest of Downtown parks are managed by Downtown Dallas Inc with funds they get from the city. All new Downtown Parks like Pacific Plaza are being developed by Parks for Downtown Dallas with the intention that they can focus similar energies on the maintenance and operations but they would be trying to lift up a lot of boats compared to Uptown. Kylde Warren was a cherry on top for the Uptown Arts District trade area which was high stepping along. These CBD parks have to deal with lots of real issues Uptown doesn't have.

Hopefully, the Carpenter Park project gets moved through faster now that Uber is coming in. Its been waiting on the greek epic redo of Pearl and Cesar Chavez.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 11 Sep 2019 15:33

cowboyeagle05 wrote: Its been waiting on the greek epic redo of Pearl and Cesar Chavez.

They've literally built or re-built entire highways since this started.

Dmkflyer

Postby Dmkflyer » 12 Sep 2019 22:28

That article has an Uber sky port rendering that is on top of the parking garage at Victory Park next to the DART stop. Hope that’s actually in the works!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Sep 2019 11:20

It says in the caption on the image its a concept, not an actual project. The Dallas AIA chapter did a design competition as they always do for imaginary projects that have some foundation in a real design challenge. It gives the architecture firms a chance to put their names out there and prove their innovative potential and stirs up the press.

You can see all kinds of pie in the sky projects on their winner's page...https://aiadallasdesignawards.com/winners

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 16 Sep 2019 09:11

Uber Freight is making trucking more efficient and could help Uber turn a profit

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/14/uber-fr ... hterm=uber

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 27 Sep 2019 14:57

First time I had seen the "alley" created between the Pittman Hotel addition and the main building.

IMG_3631.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Sep 2019 12:02

That hotel is looking nice, any signs that the second office tower is closer to starting?

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 07 Oct 2019 12:10

Has any official plans been released regarding the new tower? I've driven by and seen things move across the street. Looks like they're in the process of prepping the site.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 08 Oct 2019 10:25

New Uber tower in Dallas' Deep Ellum moves ahead with $135.5 million in permits

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... n-permits/

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 08 Oct 2019 11:09

Boom!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Oct 2019 11:25

I'll admit I want to see more angles on this tower it just seems like it's trying to be interesting but isn't. I usually like Perkins and Will stuff so I would love to see additional renderings.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 08 Oct 2019 11:53

eburress

Postby eburress » 08 Oct 2019 12:19

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I'll admit I want to see more angles on this tower it just seems like it's trying to be interesting but isn't. I usually like Perkins and Will stuff so I would love to see additional renderings.

I wonder if that's even a final rendering. I assumed it was more conceptual since it accompanied Uber's expansion announcement.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Oct 2019 14:37

Considering they are filling construction documents with the city I doubt it's very far off to be a noticeable difference in design. Uber wants the space yesterday so unless they decided to only release conceptual stuff to the press while hiding actual renderings which is not usual by developers on a high profile project like this. Interior wall locations can continue to change but if they are gonna shift the exterior extensively they need a foundation to be set in place now cause the are starting as soon as possible.

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 08 Oct 2019 17:55

ImageUntitled by rlopez2011, on Flickr

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 09 Oct 2019 07:41

Here is Channel 8's report with a video.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local ... 575cb173d3

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Oct 2019 09:25

Rehashed footage from back when Uber made the announcement with a couple of minor additions plus it's so annoying they keep marking the residential building as the office building. Details only some of us care about but still annoying.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 14 Oct 2019 19:11

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Rehashed footage from back when Uber made the announcement with a couple of minor additions plus it's so annoying they keep marking the residential building as the office building. Details only some of us care about but still annoying.

Just shows how far Channel 8's news department has fallen. They are too lazy to get the facts.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 17 Oct 2019 10:43

Structure Type: Building
Structure Name: Epic Ph 2 revised
Work Schedule: 11/10/2019 to 03/31/2022
Structure Height: 362

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/se ... 468&row=33

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 17 Oct 2019 10:52

Nice, where is the updated rendering?