Deep Ellum: Epic ~ Knights of Pythias Temple

willyk

Re: Deep Ellum: Epic ~ Knights of Pythias Temple

Postby willyk » 18 Dec 2020 03:53

eburress wrote:With Uber falling through I'm becoming jealous of Austin's ability to attract Bay Area tech refugees. Even Houston landed HP. Houston.

A contrarian view here, but I am wondering if the thing that is driving Uber to downsize, i.e. improving financial performance, might also drive the HQ to Dallas.

eburress

Postby eburress » 18 Dec 2020 07:51

willyk wrote:
eburress wrote:With Uber falling through I'm becoming jealous of Austin's ability to attract Bay Area tech refugees. Even Houston landed HP. Houston.

A contrarian view here, but I am wondering if the thing that is driving Uber to downsize, i.e. improving financial performance, might also drive the HQ to Dallas.

You very well could be right. Obviously they do have an affinity for the area so let's hope you're right! :)

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 18 Dec 2020 09:44

willyk wrote:

I have wondered the same thing. Seems to be a more popular option these days for California based companies.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 18 Dec 2020 10:17

Although they are supposedly looking to sublease much that new space.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 18 Dec 2020 17:07

willyk wrote:

I thought of that as well, but I remembered that Uber is finishing out their new buildings at the HQ in SF as recently as 2019. I just dont see them abandoning their shiny new building. Then again, if something like that were to happen, i would see it as a bad omen. Dallas has had bad luck in getting company relocations at the tail end of their existence, i.e Blockbuster

But then again, I’m not really sure what to make of the new tech HQ moves in Austin. They’re not « REAL » HQ relocations, more like corporate relocations for tax purposes, with some jobs attached to them, unlike the Toyota US HQ move which was a proper relocation with engineering jobs. Oracle still expects to keep a lot of their Redwood City Jobs. So at the very least we might get something like that in Deep Ellum, a corporate HQ relocation for the purposes of taxes. I mean, i guess we’ll take it. :)

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 02 Feb 2021 20:26

epic.febr.jpg
epic.febru.jpg

Progress on Epic's office tower 2 moves along at a nice clip. It is beginning to emerge from the raised highway through Downtown Dallas joining office tower 1 and the high rise apartment tower.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 12 Apr 2021 16:39

Epic.two.jpg

Epic Two tower's progress continues. A few more floors and I expect it will top out soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 12 Apr 2021 22:57

ImageUntitled by rlopez2011, on Flickr

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 22 Apr 2021 21:27

^Nice pics, the view at night looks kinda cool on the webcam. Maybe will get some night pics from one of our photographers soon.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 23 Apr 2021 12:00

Tnexster wrote:^Nice pics, the view at night looks kinda cool on the webcam. Maybe will get some night pics from one of our photographers soon.

I'll see if I can help with that...

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 07 Jun 2021 19:46

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 08 Jun 2021 10:32

So definitely some new scaffolding going up about where that overhang would be.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 08 Jun 2021 22:42

kingpin wrote:on Flickr

Woah. that overhang scaffolding :shock: :?

Warrior2020

Postby Warrior2020 » 24 Jun 2021 15:48

How is the retail coming along here? Is it more than just biscuit bar?

LPG

Postby LPG » 24 Jun 2021 21:40

Warrior2020 wrote:How is the retail coming along here? Is it more than just biscuit bar?

Harper’s, from Milkshake Concepts, is functionally complete. They should be opening within a few weeks.

Komodo Dallas began their build out ~3 weeks ago. No idea on ETA, but, one would assume, the build out will be extensive.

Work has begun on the retail space facing Elm, space 3C, but, per the Venture listing, there is no current tenant.

Toothfairy, apparently, signed a lease a while back for 2C. No progress on the build out, as of yet.

https://www.venturedfw.com/files/listin ... igital.pdf

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 25 Jun 2021 09:19

LPG wrote:
Warrior2020 wrote:How is the retail coming along here? Is it more than just biscuit bar?

Harper’s, from Milkshake Concepts, is functionally complete. They should be opening within a few weeks.

Komodo Dallas began their build out ~3 weeks ago. No idea on ETA, but, one would assume, the build out will be extensive.

Work has begun on the retail space facing Elm, space 3C, but, per the Venture listing, there is no current tenant.

Toothfairy, apparently, signed a lease a while back for 2C. No progress on the build out, as of yet.

So glad to hear that more retail is coming/already underway. And, even though you'll never catch me in clubs/"clubstraunts" unless I'm shooting photo/video for a client or booked for a performance with my friend who's an artist, I'm so damn excited for Komodo. Definitely a unique vibe being brought to Dallas, so I'm glad it'll be new, and the fact that it'll be in The Epic.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 01 Jul 2021 12:29

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/tec ... ncentives/

Uber is terminating all of the state, county and municipal economic incentive agreements it struck when it selected Dallas to be its largest employment hub outside of its San Francisco headquarters.

In 2019, the company signed economic incentive agreements totaling around $36 million in grants and tax abatements. As part of the agreements, Uber was expected to hire 3,000 workers at its planned Deep Ellum offices and pay at least an average annual salary of $100,000.

The tech giant now plans to hire just 500 workers to staff its new offices at the Epic in Deep Ellum. It currently employs around 200, according to the company.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 01 Jul 2021 12:37

More space to fill downtown.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 01 Jul 2021 14:00

Yikes. I can't say that I'm surprised given how hard the company was probably hit during COVID. Definitely a shame that we now have more vacant office space to fill in the urban core.

An additional 500 workers in Deep Ellum is still a win for the area, it's just a shame they built out such a large office space for something that didn't end up coming to fruition.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 02 Jul 2021 09:13

potatocoins wrote:Yikes. I can't say that I'm surprised given how hard the company was probably hit during COVID. Definitely a shame that we now have more vacant office space to fill in the urban core.

An additional 500 workers in Deep Ellum is still a win for the area, it's just a shame they built out such a large office space for something that didn't end up coming to fruition.

Perhaps the company will rebound as the economy comes back or another company can emerge that will fill those offices. I firmly believe that companies will be calling workers back to offices in the Fall.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 Jul 2021 13:30

Uber offloaded a large section of its company during the pandemic all their innovation offices, research, flying Uber taxi division etc. The current CEO is cutting the company back to delivery of People, Food and Medications and Uber cant hire enough drivers for the demand they have now. Uber is not gonna grow as big as they were anytime soon. That's why they canceled. Their San Fran HQ is more than enough offices. The good thing is we will have Class A brand new space and current tenants looking at Dallas want new space but they don't want to wait for it to be built. Uber will still be a good endorsement of the building and tenant that other tenants will like to be near.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

vman

Postby vman » 02 Jul 2021 14:37

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Uber offloaded a large section of its company during the pandemic all their innovation offices, research, flying Uber taxi division etc. The current CEO is cutting the company back to delivery of People, Food and Medications and Uber cant hire enough drivers for the demand they have now. Uber is not gonna grow as big as they were anytime soon. That's why they canceled. Their San Fran HQ is more than enough offices. The good thing is we will have Class A brand new space and current tenants looking at Dallas want new space but they don't want to wait for it to be built. Uber will still be a good endorsement of the building and tenant that other tenants will like to be near.

Does UBER have its name or logo on the building?

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 02 Jul 2021 18:39

cowboyeagle05 wrote:The good thing is we will have Class A brand new space and current tenants looking at Dallas want new space but they don't want to wait for it to be built. Uber will still be a good endorsement of the building and tenant that other tenants will like to be near.

I was thinking the same thing…available space for the taking. Now if it gets scooped up quickly, nobody will have the vision to build spec office space and we’re back to timid plans that change every couple of years hoping to land a tenant. How about a tired old concept called “build it and they will come?” Just a little, please. I won’t even be disappointed if it’s 15-25stori4s to test the water.

willyk

Postby willyk » 03 Jul 2021 04:31

The challenge is that there are these two buildings plus the Stack and 300 Pearl to fill.

The positives are the success that KDC has had with relos, the positioning of the retail and the hotel here appeals to the professionals who would occupy this kind of space, and the favorable business climate we have vs. CA, NY and IL is driving both relos and corporate growth.

And if all of the office won’t fill, I am hoping that a residential conversion is also a possibility.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 03 Jul 2021 09:42

Why are u guys worried about KDC? Uber has a signed agreement in all likeliness. They'll have to sublease the building. They have the burden of finding someone to fill their shoes.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 05 Jul 2021 18:55

LongonBigD wrote:How about a tired old concept called “build it and they will come?” Just a little, please. I won’t even be disappointed if it’s 15-25stori4s to test the water.

We tried that back in the 80's. We all know how that worked out. Last I heard there still some buildings with shell space that has never been leased (admittedly that was a few years back).

Of course if you want to invest your own money....

willyk

Postby willyk » 06 Jul 2021 04:25

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Why are u guys worried about KDC? Uber has a signed agreement in all likeliness. They'll have to sublease the building. They have the burden of finding someone to fill their shoes.

That is very likely true. But even vacant Uber space looking to sublease will compete with space in the other downtown buildings and be a drag on the market.

And the lack of occupants in the Uber building means less business for the nearby hotel, restaurants and retail.

So the sooner that Uber or KDC gets the space occupied, the better. And the term of any subleases will be very telling. Two or three years could mean that Uber is keeping their options open. Five to ten years would suggest that their Dallas HQ2 is dead.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 06 Jul 2021 09:05

As vacant downtown space goes, I would guess this particular building being brand new, in DE and having all of the modern amenities already built in would be easier to fill than something built in the 80's.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 06 Jul 2021 13:44

Last I heard there still some buildings with shell space that has never been leased (admittedly that was a few years back).

There is a 4 story office building in Plano (Independence & Lotus Drive) that was built spec 4 years ago, and is still empty, but there are porta-potties outside indicating it might soon be built out for tenants. In Richardson, the building on the corner of US75 and Renner was built spec and occupied in less than 2 years. So building spec currently has a pretty wildly variable timeline, and is I guess extremely location dependent.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Jul 2021 09:11

Uber’s downsizing could upsize vacant Dallas office space
A new Deep Ellum building that was to have housed thousands of Uber workers will be ready at the end of the year.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ice-space/

Real estate brokers expect that the Uber will seek to sublease much of its surplus office space in Deep Ellum. That means Uber will have to find other businesses to occupy the building.

Uber has already been looking for sublease tenants to fill more than 115,000 square feet of offices it rented in the first Epic building. The sublease office space, which isn’t officially counted as vacant as long as rent is being paid, adds to the growing volume of empty buildings in the Dallas area since the start of the pandemic.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 09 Jul 2021 09:23

Correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty sure that Lincoln Property built 1900 Pearl as a Spec project. It's more than 90% leased. I believe The Link is also a spec project. I don't know if they've signed any tenants to date though.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Jul 2021 09:40

Kelley USA wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty sure that Lincoln Property built 1900 Pearl as a Spec project. It's more than 90% leased. I believe The Link is also a spec project. I don't know if they've signed any tenants to date though.

I'm pretty sure Link has been fairly successful. I think Uber will do okay too subleasing space in a new building.

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 24 Jul 2021 01:02

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 07 Aug 2021 17:57

Epic.2.jpg

As the Epic 2 tower is being completed, the overhang definitely is an attention getter as you drive by.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 12 Aug 2021 16:43

IMG_8420.jpg

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Aug 2021 16:47

Why does the top look longer than the base..

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 12 Aug 2021 17:03

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Why does the top look longer than the base..

It’s the overhang on the building.
Originally meant for an air taxi heli pad thing.
9306037A-CCE7-4A0D-AE0C-0E018163BFF0.jpeg

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Aug 2021 18:39

Aw I see.. looks funky

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 04 Sep 2021 00:01

ignore the crack in my windshield, :D
It looks like the building is topped off.
Now they just gotta finish removing the scaffold and to finish the exterior underneath.
6AA7C69E-FEAA-49F9-B3E9-DB85BF4CA566.jpeg

rickbansal

Postby rickbansal » 06 Sep 2021 10:01

looks cool

Roman_Patrick

Postby Roman_Patrick » 07 Sep 2021 11:16

Great pic! thanks for posting, driving down near this tower is such a cool experience, love the density this project has brought!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 07 Sep 2021 13:49

It actually looks better than that rendering.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Sep 2021 11:53

Scaffolding is coming down, much better view of the finished product on the cams.

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 28 Sep 2021 13:46

What is the final height of this building?

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 28 Sep 2021 16:38

The Epic really has a strong presence in the skyline. Really happy with how this one came out. Now we just need to find a new tenant for it :oops: .

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 29 Sep 2021 10:55

I’m surprise that retail in this building is taking so long to fill. Hoping we get some more retail filled or hear some announcements before the new building is done.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 29 Sep 2021 11:20

Maybe they can put a jail in the retail space.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 Sep 2021 11:40

Probably also why the rest of Deep Ellum has trouble attracting any retail any other than bar/restaurants/clubs. Deep Ellum needs less clubs and more retail and they don't have the rooftops to support it.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Warrior2020

Postby Warrior2020 » 29 Sep 2021 11:52

dd_dweller wrote:I’m surprise that retail in this building is taking so long to fill. Hoping we get some more retail filled or hear some announcements before the new building is done.

The retail is about to fill up. They have komodo and a few others that's going to be opening up.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 07 Oct 2021 20:07

Deep.Ellum.Overhang.jpg
deep.ellum.overhanging.jpg

As Epic tower #2 nears completion, the dramatic overhang gets more attention from passersby in Deep Ellum & on I-345.