Design District 1.0

DPatel304

Design District 1.0

Postby DPatel304 » 22 Mar 2017 19:35

This is a topic for general Design District discussion.

The opening is near for the trio of restaurants in the Dallas Design District from Tim Headington, developer and owner of The Joule hotel in downtown Dallas.

The three restaurants include a gastropub called Wheelhouse, a Cal-Ital eatery called Sassetta, and a grab-and-go concept called Go Go. The three restaurants form the perimeter of an outdoor pavilion, centered around an 18-foot-tall sculpture called Moving Figure, by New York artist Daniel Arsham.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... heelhouse/

I'm really looking for this neighborhood to really take off in the near future.

DPatel304

Re: Design District 1.0

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Apr 2017 23:32

Pegasus City Brewery Readies to Open In the Design District

In 2011, Chris Weiss and Will and Adrian Cotten were home-brewers in The Cedars looking to create and perfect easy-to-drink beers for friends and family. In 2014, the three founded Pegasus City Brewery to bring their home recipes to the masses. After quitting their day jobs last year, the owners of Pegasus City Brewery are almost ready to open their Design District brewery and taproom to the public. With what they are calling five “porch-approved” beers, Pegasus City looks to make a mark in a crowded local market.

Located in the Design District in the former Vantage Shoe Warehouse, Pegasus City chose the spot after their initial plan to open in The Cedars fell through. That may be for the best, however, since the new brewery joins a neighborhood chock-full of the city's best: Peticolas, Noble Rey, Community and Texas Ale Project are all headquartered nearby.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/restauran ... ct-9401118

Another addition to the neighborhood.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 26 Apr 2017 10:44

Is Noble Rey still in the Design District. Could've sworn they're in the Farmers Market...

I wonder how these breweries will last once Design District starts redeveloping these single use Warehouses..

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 26 Apr 2017 11:16

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Is Noble Rey still in the Design District. Could've sworn they're in the Farmers Market...

I wonder how these breweries will last once Design District starts redeveloping these single use Warehouses..

The brewery and tap room is still in the Design District. The FM location is a satellite tap room.

willyk

Postby willyk » 10 Oct 2017 11:36

There’s a new project—perhaps apartments—going up on Dragon Street just behind the Cabana. Anyone have info on this?

R1070

Postby R1070 » 15 Oct 2017 17:17

willyk wrote:There’s a new project—perhaps apartments—going up on Dragon Street just behind the Cabana. Anyone have info on this?

I think you're talking about the new self storage building going up.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 28 Nov 2018 11:08

Design District office tower will become new Hilton hotel
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... lton-hotel

The 9-story Feizy Center building on Stemmons Freeway just across the highway from the Infomart is being converted into a hotel.

"It's going to be a Tru by Hilton - a new brand they came out with," said Magnolia Hospitality's Mehul Patel. "They will be smaller rooms but the common areas will be very inviting.

A pedestrian bridge will connect the hotel to the adjoining Trinity Strand Trail and restaurants and retail in the Design District.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 28 Nov 2018 11:24

Somebody please get started planning the conversion of that Turtle Creek ditch into a grand promenade river walk.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 28 Nov 2018 11:43

A pedestrian bridge will connect the hotel to the adjoining Trinity Strand Trail and restaurants and retail in the Design District.

He said construction on the project should wrap up next summer.

Sounds like they will be finished with this one pretty quickly, and I really like that they are adding a pedestrian bridge as a part of this project as well.

I wonder if they are building a brand new bridge, or they are just referring to this structure here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7988289 ... a=!3m1!1e3

It's really hard to tell what that is from Google, and I haven't seen it in person, so I could be way off here, but it almost looks like some sort of bridge.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Nov 2018 11:47

I noticed over the weekend that the old Feizy building looked like it was under heavy construction since I could see right through it and wondered what was up. I hope the final product looks better than that render.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 28 Nov 2018 12:12

DPatel304 wrote:I wonder if they are building a brand new bridge, or they are just referring to this structure here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7988289 ... a=!3m1!1e3

It's really hard to tell what that is from Google, and I haven't seen it in person, so I could be way off here, but it almost looks like some sort of bridge.

https://goo.gl/maps/fi84DeBAavG2

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 28 Nov 2018 12:47

Thanks! I was trying to find a good angle on that structure. So I guess the article is just referring to that existing pedestrian bridge.

I was kinda hoping something was going to be built. I have not seen or used this existing one, so maybe it is good enough, it just doesn't look particularly inviting.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 28 Nov 2018 13:14

That remodel of the Feizy building looks terrible. The building had seen better days and needed some freshening but was a better architectural design than this render.... yuck.

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 28 Nov 2018 13:43

Matt777 wrote:That remodel of the Feizy building looks terrible. The building had seen better days and needed some freshening but was a better architectural design than this render.... yuck.

Impossible to tell really looking at that terrible drawing.

muncien

Postby muncien » 28 Nov 2018 14:14

texasstar wrote:
Matt777 wrote:That remodel of the Feizy building looks terrible. The building had seen better days and needed some freshening but was a better architectural design than this render.... yuck.

I thought the same thing initially... But there is no doubt they they are replacing the glass curtain wall with typical home depot bedroom windows. Regardless of how other materials and colors may be misrepresented by the poor rendering, the significant downgrade to the window configuration is quite unfortunate. I honestly had to look at the two side by side to confirm if it was even the same building. UGLY...
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 28 Nov 2018 14:31

"An old high-rise in Dallas' booming Design District is getting a major makeover"

Booming? How so? Virgin Hotel... nothing else much. Does anybody know what Dunhill partners is doing? Are they sitting until the Trinity River Park materializes?

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 28 Nov 2018 14:36

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:"An old high-rise in Dallas' booming Design District is getting a major makeover"

Booming? How so? Virgin Hotel... nothing else much. Does anybody know what Dunhill partners is doing? Are they sitting until the Trinity River Park materializes?

LOL It must be a Steve Brown article.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 28 Nov 2018 15:35

texasstar wrote:

There is no way to really make acres of EIFS surface, cheap bargain basement sliding windows, and air con vents look good. Nothing about this redesign has any redeeming qualities. The current building needed some freshening but this is just ugly and cheap. I'm sure the financials on this project will look great, though, as nearly no effort to do anything beyond the bare minimum was expended.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 28 Nov 2018 15:50

You think the rendering and windows are underwhelming, well, the 'romper room' approach to Tru's lobby/common areas are even more (less?) so. Tru is a very niche-y concept.

http://www.trubyhilton.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tru_by_Hilton

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 28 Nov 2018 16:03

I guess they tried to make a knockoff of the Aloft concept, just way more generic. Also, Tru is an awful, awful name.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Nov 2018 16:14

Yeah, the re-design is awful but another hotel seems amazing to me. Arlington builds one hotel and has another on the way near its stadium and Dallas builds three or four in every price range at the same time.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

muncien

Postby muncien » 28 Nov 2018 16:38

itsjrd1964 wrote:You think the rendering and windows are underwhelming, well, the 'romper room' approach to Tru's lobby/common areas are even more (less?) so. Tru is a very niche-y concept.

http://www.trubyhilton.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tru_by_Hilton

If I didn't know any better, I'd say this looks exactly like a newly built Elementary School... which, I guess, has a certain draw to it.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

R1070

Postby R1070 » 28 Nov 2018 19:56

What happened to the Moxy hotel that was planned for the DD?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 Nov 2018 18:18

Just like what happened to those apartments Harwood was going to build in the Design District with retail space. They quietly disappear into the night.

willyk

Postby willyk » 29 Nov 2018 23:08

Dunhill is keeping too tight a reign on the DD. I find it very telling that while new projects are being floated in almost every other neighborhood, very little is even on the drawing board here.

They risk missing the market, at which point they become another Spire/Midtown. For as long as they have held these properties in a hot market, they should be much farther along

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 30 Nov 2018 08:20

One tactic is to specifically wait until the market stumbles, slows down, cools off. Then all attention will be on the first big splash to get going. Besides, the fortunes of anything new that comes to the Design District is directly tied to whatever comes of the Trinity River Park - and that's still an unknown.

I'm content with the Design District staying in the slow lane until it's decided the only sensible approach to the river bottom is a wilderness area managed so people have more reliable drinking water and the best possible natural encounter.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 30 Nov 2018 09:12

lakewoodhobo wrote:Design District office tower will become new Hilton hotel
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... lton-hotel

The 9-story Feizy Center building on Stemmons Freeway just across the highway from the Infomart is being converted into a hotel.

"It's going to be a Tru by Hilton - a new brand they came out with," said Magnolia Hospitality's Mehul Patel. "They will be smaller rooms but the common areas will be very inviting.

Gross.
I just puked.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 30 Nov 2018 09:25

willyk wrote:Dunhill is keeping too tight a reign on the DD. I find it very telling that while new projects are being floated in almost every other neighborhood, very little is even on the drawing board here.

They risk missing the market, at which point they become another Spire/Midtown. For as long as they have held these properties in a hot market, they should be much farther along

Dunhill might be thinking in the longterm by being picky. The housing market in DFW is coming to a hard slowdown. Frisco alone is now having trouble selling houses as inventory has exceeded demand. U.S. existing home sales have declined on an annual basis for eight straight months, the longest slump in more than four years. Even though the economy has boomed in DFW, prices have grown much faster than wages and housing prices for both rent and houses is overvalued by 19%. I would say the boom is coming to a slow crawl and it might be that way for a little while.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 30 Nov 2018 10:25

joshua.dodd wrote:
willyk wrote:Dunhill is keeping too tight a reign on the DD. I find it very telling that while new projects are being floated in almost every other neighborhood, very little is even on the drawing board here.

Dunhill might be thinking in the longterm by being picky. The housing market in DFW is coming to a hard slowdown. Frisco alone is now having trouble selling houses as inventory has exceeded demand. U.S. existing home sales have declined on an annual basis for eight straight months, the longest slump in more than four years. Even though the economy has boomed in DFW, prices have grown much faster than wages and housing prices for both rent and houses is overvalued by 19%. I would say the boom is coming to a slow crawl and it might be that way for a little while.

I know home sales have stopped of late. But what's even more troubling to me is that developers don't even build starter homes anymore; all those McMansions in Frisco aren't affordable.

I know developers are trying to recover from 09'..but man I really wish they would build more affordable units. Hopefully, the next cycle we see a rebirth of the common man home.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 30 Nov 2018 10:28

I just hope they learned from Victory Park. Do they have enough residents to sustain neighborhood retail, because one hotel and some high-end restaurants won't keep their investors afloat through the next slowdown.

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:I know home sales have stopped of late. But what's even more troubling to me is that developers don't even build starter homes anymore; all those McMansions in Frisco aren't affordable.

I know developers are trying to recover from 09'..but man I really wish they would build more affordable units. Hopefully, the next cycle we see a rebirth of the common man home.

I've always thought that starter homes should be pre-owned. My house was built in 1953 and has annoying-but-manageable issues for a house its age. Anytime I see a 32-yr-old buying new construction, I secretly hope it was cheaply built on top of an unmarked cemetery.

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 30 Nov 2018 12:01

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
joshua.dodd wrote:

I know home sales have stopped of late. But what's even more troubling to me is that developers don't even build starter homes anymore; all those McMansions in Frisco aren't affordable.

Builders would love nothing more than to build sub $300k homes, but the price of land, labor, and materials won't allow for it. Land is the only dependent variable in that equation and materials and labor costs only decrease in an economic downturn. You can solve for a land price that will support $250k homes, but good luck getting any landowner remotely near the path of growth to accept that price. As an example, you can get a brand new house for $200k today as long as you're willing to live in Forney.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 30 Nov 2018 14:11

CRE_Investor wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
joshua.dodd wrote:

Builders would love nothing more than to build sub $300k homes, but the price of land, labor, and materials won't allow for it. Land is the only dependent variable in that equation and materials and labor costs only decrease in an economic downturn. You can solve for a land price that will support $250k homes, but good luck getting any landowner remotely near the path of growth to accept that price. As an example, you can get a brand new house for $200k today as long as you're willing to live in Forney.

Yeah I get that part, which is understandable given median home prices are around 200K.

But even the lack of Condos, Multi-Home properties are , at reasonable sub 300K prices are slim. Especially in this town.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 30 Nov 2018 16:34

Not to get too far off-topic, but here are two examples of new construction under $200,000 just 15 minutes from downtown. It's possible, but you need to find $13,000 lots and someone willing to live in the most undesirable parts of the city.

https://www.dfwrealestate.com/Listing/2 ... 9150cae58c

https://www.dfwrealestate.com/Listing/2 ... e430039687

DBadger

Postby DBadger » 03 Dec 2018 12:20

Actually multiple new homes around Atlanta and Metropolitan in Queen city and Wheatley place just minutes from Deep Ellum are selling at the $165k-$189K range.
(75215 east of 45/175)

DBadger

Postby DBadger » 03 Dec 2018 12:25

About 10 or so sold in that area but they go fast when they are up for sale.
https://www.redfin.com/TX/Dallas/3704-A ... e/32211854

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 Dec 2018 11:21

Developer hopes Dallas' Design District isn't the next Uptown

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ext-uptown

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 10 Dec 2018 11:44

Tnexster wrote:Developer hopes Dallas' Design District isn't the next Uptown

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ext-uptown

"With construction of the Virgin Hotel and rebuilding of the old Feizy Center office tower into a Hilton-branded property, the Design District will now have a place for travelers to hang their hat."

Sure, if you don't count the Hilton Anatole, Best Western, Double Tree, Courtyard Marriott, Fairfield Inn, Days Inn and Sheraton. I get it, those are in a gray area north of the river channel and south of Stemmons but places like the Avant apartments and Rodeo Goat say they're in the Design District.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Dec 2018 12:15

"Twenty five years from now the best condo site in Dallas will be at the dead end of Oak Lawn Avenue on the Trinity River levee," Ablon said. "You are going to looking over the new Harold Simmons park and the Calatrava bridges and downtown.

I absolutely agree with this prediction. I'm not sure if this particular intersection will be the 'best' site, but, I am very optimistic about the future of the Design District. The city just needs to do something with the Trinity River and Turtle Creek, and that'll really turn Design District into a unique destination.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 Dec 2018 21:23

I'm actually a little surprised we haven't seen one or two more residential high rises going up in DD by now. Maybe as the park comes into focus we will see more activity.

willyk

Postby willyk » 10 Dec 2018 22:29

Tnexster wrote:I'm actually a little surprised we haven't seen one or two more residential high rises going up in DD by now. Maybe as the park comes into focus we will see more activity.

I would like to offer some historical perspective— State Thomas built critical mass with lots of 4-5 story apartments. Then came Uptown.

Before State Thomas, the Crescent and the Quadrangle spent decades as lonesome outposts in an out of date neighborhood—sound familiar?

Is there a basis for a different path in the DD? I don’t see the restaurant and retail infrastructure in the DD today that will support high rents in tall towers. In fact it’s been basically DOA for this cycle.

This neighborhood needs to walk before it runs— a bunch of 4-5 story developments that will bring in people, restaurants, clubs, services. Then let’s talk towers.

I think Dunhill is a little too proud of their building sites, and that’s why DD is stuck in neutral.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 10 Dec 2018 22:44

willyk wrote:
Tnexster wrote:
I think Dunhill is a little too proud of their building sites, and that’s why DD is stuck in neutral.

I couldn't agree more. DD is poised to be the next great neighborhood in Dallas along w/ DTD, but things seem to move at a snails pace. I don't want to see total decimation of the existing buildings in the area, but there are defiantly opportunities for redevelopment. I'd like to see a more extensive streets-cape and landscape plan for the neighborhood, clear connections to the upcoming Trinity River Park, elimination of the bail bond shops and other seedy businesses all while keeping the semi- industrial warehouse buildings that can be re-purposed.

willyk

Postby willyk » 11 Dec 2018 02:11

NdoorTX wrote:
willyk wrote:
Tnexster wrote:

I couldn't agree more. DD is poised to be the next great neighborhood in Dallas along w/ DTD, but things seem to move at a snails pace. I don't want to see total decimation of the existing buildings in the area, but there are defiantly opportunities for redevelopment. I'd like to see a more extensive streets-cape and landscape plan for the neighborhood, clear connections to the upcoming Trinity River Park, elimination of the bail bond shops and other seedy businesses all while keeping the semi- industrial warehouse buildings that can be re-purposed.

I think that is a fair comment, so perhaps I should dial back my criticism a little. Many of the buildings that Dunhill has house active businesses in the Design Distirct, which they have promised to preserve, so that is certainly a constraint on what they can do. But they and the other property owners there need to pursue more modest development in the near term, while we have a strong market, in order to gain momentum for more ambitious projects.

62fe1fee

Postby 62fe1fee » 11 Dec 2018 09:30

If I could do absolutely anything, I would love to build a deck park connecting the Design District with Victory Park. The city would have to bury a small portion of Stemmons Freeway and rail just north of the American Airlines Center. The two massive parking lots on either side of the Freeway would be prime sites for development, and energy would flow from Downtown to Uptown, to the Design District.

Anyway, there's a perfect middle ground between development and a neighborhood's character. The Design District has character. I think it could potentially develop into one of the greatest cultural hubs for creatives in the country - at least in the South.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 23 Mar 2019 11:19

Developers kick off Dallas Design District projects with major building redo

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... lding-redo

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 23 Mar 2019 14:25

^Thanks for sharing. I always enjoying hearing about more progress in the Design District, as I think it is the part of Dallas with the most potential in the long run.

It's really hard to tell from the article, but it sounds like this building might be the showroom they are talking about:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dalla ... 96.8109852

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 23 Mar 2019 14:28

Also, this is a bit off topic, but I remember back in 2013, there was an event I went to in the Design District, but I don't know the name of the event or if it is still happening.

All I remember is that it either took place on Dragon St or Slocum St, it was on a Saturday night, and it was basically set up like a giant 'art crawl'. I remember going to several different art galleries which were all right next to each other, and they were all open, all free, and there were a lot of people out and about. That's really about all I can remember, as I wasn't as familiar with the area, or Dallas, back then, but it was such a cool event and I would love to go again if it is still ongoing.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 23 Mar 2019 15:44

DPatel304 wrote:Also, this is a bit off topic, but I remember back in 2013, there was an event I went to in the Design District, but I don't know the name of the event or if it is still happening.

All I remember is that it either took place on Dragon St or Slocum St, it was on a Saturday night, and it was basically set up like a giant 'art crawl'. I remember going to several different art galleries which were all right next to each other, and they were all open, all free, and there were a lot of people out and about. That's really about all I can remember, as I wasn't as familiar with the area, or Dallas, back then, but it was such a cool event and I would love to go again if it is still ongoing.

Hard to say what you're referring to... Every month the galleries on Dragon street have the art Walk.
It's called Dragon Street Galleries Third Thursdays Art Walk.

Every year the big art crawl is the DADA Spring Art Crawl. This event is basically all the major places in Dallas and the surrounding areas.

http://dallasartdealers.org/dada-spring ... h-31-2018/

It's next week!!!

edit: you said Saturday... So it was the DADA event. Dallas Art Dealers Association Spring Gallery Event you attended.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 23 Mar 2019 16:16

Thank you!! That must have been it for sure. For some reason, I remember the event I went to being later in the evening, but I could very well be mistaken, as I'm pretty sure you did find the event I was looking for!

What a coincidence that it is so soon as well.

willyk

Postby willyk » 24 May 2019 23:19

Just came across this. Sorry if it has already been posted.

In Dallas’ Design District, a New Frontier for Residential Growth

https://dallas.towers.net/2019/03/06/in ... al-growth/

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 May 2019 11:52

Sounds like even the writer of the article is not convinced this project is happening.