Design District 1.0

lakewoodhobo

Re: Design District 1.0

Postby lakewoodhobo » 26 Sep 2019 09:48

New commercial building project in the works in Dallas' Design District
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -district/

The 72,000-square-foot project includes a small park and is [on Glass Street] just west of Riverfront Boulevard.

"We are building two new warehouse style buildings with the park between them," said Tanner Ewing with Ewing Properties Texas. "We decided to incorporate some type of green space to add more lushness down here."

One of the two-story buildings has already been leased to Planet Granite, a 42,000 square-foot high-end rock climbing and fitness facility.

Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 9.46.02 AM.jpg

A bit of a stretch to call this a park, but any amount of green space in this area is a vast improvement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 26 Sep 2019 10:51

Nice, not a lot of opportunity for green space there. Wish somebody would try a green roof.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 26 Sep 2019 11:33

I suppose it's better than what was there previously. But still rather forgettable

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Sep 2019 12:31

The Design District is still kinda a weird bird to me. We saw an explosion of restaurants and residential in one area (HiLine and Oak Lawn), galleries on Dragon Street and mostly one-offs of restaurants all over some areas. Dallas Contemporary in another area and of course the Virgin hotel is quickly finishing up. Multiple local breweries call the Design District home. I still don't see a unified direction for development though. Still seems like things are happening all over but not close enough to work together on making the area become anything more than the sleeper it is now. All the things I listed above are good things it just feels so dead like nothing is happening still.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 26 Sep 2019 12:49

^^ Valid points. I've always sort of felt the same way. I think the DD has the ability to be THE coolest area in Dallas. I remember when Harwood had plans to build a nice apartment complex with ground floor retail. It never really took off (although I think signs are still up).Here's an old article dating back to 2013 on it- https://www.dmagazine.com/commercial-re ... the-works/

I've always though the Design District would be a perfect place for a festival like Main Street Fort Worth or Wildflower in Richardson.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 26 Sep 2019 12:51

Sometimes I've thought better street and pedestrian flow with Victory Park would really enhance the Design District, and then I've thought better connectivity would wash-out the Design District.

muncien

Postby muncien » 26 Sep 2019 12:55

The DD has an oppertunity like few other to create an awesome little network of pedestrian alley ways that link various business/resturaunts/lofts etc., if they repurpose their network of former rail right of ways. There are tons of them, and they all conveniently link to existing or prosed trails, and even the VP DART station. It is such a bummer that no cohesive plan has been put in place to take advantage of this asset.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Sep 2019 13:32

The Strand trail does get used as well but still, it lacks the hub atmosphere that took the Katy Trail years to become.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 26 Sep 2019 20:00

muncien wrote:The DD has an oppertunity like few other to create an awesome little network of pedestrian alley ways that link various business/resturaunts/lofts etc., if they repurpose their network of former rail right of ways. There are tons of them, and they all conveniently link to existing or prosed trails, and even the VP DART station. It is such a bummer that no cohesive plan has been put in place to take advantage of this asset.

word

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 26 Sep 2019 22:08

muncien wrote:The DD has an oppertunity like few other to create an awesome little network of pedestrian alley ways that link various business/resturaunts/lofts etc., if they repurpose their network of former rail right of ways. There are tons of them, and they all conveniently link to existing or prosed trails, and even the VP DART station. It is such a bummer that no cohesive plan has been put in place to take advantage of this asset.

Yes! Seeing them developed into an urban trail system would be cool, especially with new small shops/bars/dining sprouting up carved out of existing warehouses or built new. Key word small. An eclectic mix.

willyk

Postby willyk » 27 Sep 2019 23:02

Cobblestones.

No scooters.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 27 Jan 2020 20:09

Mark Cuban, Live Nation team up to build new music venue in Dallas’ Design District
https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-enterta ... -district/

The Design District is getting its first live-music venue. And it’s in Mark Cuban’s parking lot.
Concert producer and promoter Live Nation Entertainment Inc. is converting an empty warehouse along North Stemmons Freeway into a 1,000-capacity venue called The HiFi Dallas. It’s set to open in May, next door to the Dallas Mavericks’ practice facility along the freeway.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 27 Jan 2020 20:14

Yet another music venue.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Jan 2020 09:36

Well, this one I understand because size-wise its much smaller than anything else except places like Trees which is listed at 600 capacity.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Jan 2020 09:39

IMG-6197.JPG
IMG-6196.JPG
IMG-6195.JPG
IMG-6194.JPG
IMG-6193.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 28 Jan 2020 23:00

What's up with 80's lambo and the guy in a suit in the front of the rendering? Lol

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 Jan 2020 10:03

All I know I am excited about this project. I live just close enough to make this a great spot for smaller events I would like to attend. Uber/Lyfting from Oak Lawn to this would be priced nicely for a group of me and my friends.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 29 Jan 2020 11:20

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:What's up with 80's lambo and the guy in a suit in the front of the rendering? Lol

Excuse me that's a Ferrari 308GTB ;)

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 29 Jan 2020 11:26

This project looks good to me. I'm really just hoping this will encourage more development in the Design District, as this area has really lagged behind the rest of the urban neighborhoods.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 29 Jan 2020 13:12

Per the D Magazine version of the story:

And to make all that happen, they’ll have to help people navigate the short stretch of twisty, messy highway that divides them. “We’re working on a possible pedestrian path over here,” says Weeden. “We think that would be good, pre-game/post-game stuff.”

https://www.dmagazine.com/arts-entertai ... -district/

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 30 Jan 2020 09:08

lakewoodhobo wrote:Per the D Magazine version of the story:

And to make all that happen, they’ll have to help people navigate the short stretch of twisty, messy highway that divides them. “We’re working on a possible pedestrian path over here,” says Weeden. “We think that would be good, pre-game/post-game stuff.”

https://www.dmagazine.com/arts-entertai ... -district/

Well, there is that angled, former railroad underpass that's next to the Victory station that possibly could be reconfigured as a connecting pedestrian path. The way things are arranged now east of I-35E in that vicinity, I don't see how it could be used for much else, especially vehicular traffic.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Feb 2020 10:31

The newest concert hall in town has rolled out its lineup of acts: The HiFi Dallas, the new venue in Dallas' Design District which boasts a fortuitous Mark Cuban connection, is set to open in May, with a lineup that spotlights local and regional acts, from Bowling For Soup to The Revivalists.

Currently under construction at 1323 N. Stemmons Fwy., the venue will open on May 15 with two Texas acts: a performance by Blue October followed the next night by Bowling For Soup.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/enter ... -district/

I didn't realize this would be opening so soon.

willyk

Postby willyk » 26 Jun 2020 03:19

The Manufacturing District

We envision building a community of like-minded companies that share a passion for what they do. To support that community, we have adopted a hub & spoke portfolio approach that allows us to provide unsurpassed amenities in the centrally located Manufacturing District that will be shared with all of the tenants within the portfolio. The Manufacturing District will include food and beverage options, high- end fitness, and outdoor/indoor meeting spaces –all back-boned on high throughput connectivity and secured by the latest technology. In essence, we
are creating a modern, highly functional work environment in the coolest neighborhood in Dallas.

https://qipdd.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/MFGDST_Brochure_R5_Compressed.pdf

willyk

Postby willyk » 24 Dec 2020 03:59

One of the most significant properties in Dallas’ Design District sold to an investor that’s been making a major play in the neighborhood.

The award-winning International on Turtle Creek showroom and office complex on Irving Boulevard has been purchased by Dallas’ Quadrant Investment Properties.

Quadrant has recently been making acquisitions for planned developments in the Design District. It previously purchased about a dozen buildings in the area northwest of downtown Dallas that will be redeveloped. Most of the properties Quadrant already owns are on Manufacturing and Levee streets and Irving Boulevard near the Trinity River.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... investors/

utgf

Postby utgf » 24 Dec 2020 19:36

Hopefully the nearby Dallas Decorative Center is not being redeveloped by anyone and remains as it is.

doubdfw67

Postby doubdfw67 » 02 Jan 2021 20:58

FYI - Tru by Hilton Dallas Downtown/Market Center just won a global construction award from Hilton for best adaptive reuse in the brand for 2019. Here is the view from the Rooftop bar. I work for the company that owns it. When you build a franchise operation, you have to comply with the brand approved design, which is what we did. The hotel is open and the rooftop bar, Skyblu at Tru will open in Februaary.
view.jpg

willyk

Postby willyk » 05 Jan 2021 23:26

An interesting point of view on the DD...

Dallas Design District investors plan office project and restaurant

“The International has been at the top of our target acquisition list for years,” Quadrant’s Chad Cook said in a statement. “We are excited to integrate it with an additional 2.5 acres where we are planning jv a boutique creative office development.”

“We never imagined we would have the opportunity to control over nine contiguous acres in an infill submarket with the character of the Design District,” Cook said. “There is no other market in the Metroplex that provides this type of canvas with incredible accessibility and built-in cachet.”

“The Dallas Design District shares similar traits with other creative infill locations in Atlanta, Charlotte and Nashville, where FCP has experienced great success with our place-making capabilities,” said principal Erik Weinberg. “We believe the International is uniquely positioned to benefit from continued in-migration to Dallas as well as from the demand for attractive, inviting workspaces with sustainable design and architecture.”

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... estaurant/

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 06 Jan 2021 10:01

willyk wrote:An interesting point of view on the DD...

Dallas Design District investors plan office project and restaurant

“The International has been at the top of our target acquisition list for years,” Quadrant’s Chad Cook said in a statement. “We are excited to integrate it with an additional 2.5 acres where we are planning jv a boutique creative office development.”

“We never imagined we would have the opportunity to control over nine contiguous acres in an infill submarket with the character of the Design District,” Cook said. “There is no other market in the Metroplex that provides this type of canvas with incredible accessibility and built-in cachet.”

“The Dallas Design District shares similar traits with other creative infill locations in Atlanta, Charlotte and Nashville, where FCP has experienced great success with our place-making capabilities,” said principal Erik Weinberg. “We believe the International is uniquely positioned to benefit from continued in-migration to Dallas as well as from the demand for attractive, inviting workspaces with sustainable design and architecture.”

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... estaurant/

I took a look at the portfolios on FCP's site, and it looks like the Nashville one they referred to is likely a spot called Sylvan Supply (http://sylvansupply.com/). Looks pretty cool!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 06 Jan 2021 10:12

exelone31 wrote:I took a look at the portfolios on FCP's site, and it looks like the Nashville one they referred to is likely a spot called Sylvan Supply (http://sylvansupply.com/). Looks pretty cool!

Wow, good find! I agree, that looks very cool!!

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 25 Aug 2021 21:52

To all of us including myself, keep a look out on this possibly intriguing little thing over the next year or so. This could be an interesting thing to follow. Put the three links below together and you have an idea of possibilities:
https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2021022923
https://goo.gl/maps/nAofuz9DfUmL7mww6
https://www.cunninghamarchitects.com/residential

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 26 Aug 2021 09:29

It's on dragon st. I'd it replacing galleries? Sad

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Aug 2021 10:25

No the architecture firm is on Dragon street the development is on Levee street.

1715 Levee Street

Mixed use project within existing building. 8,754 sq. ft. total, consisting of 7,030 sf existing and 1,724 sf of new construction added to it. 3,155 sf will be single family residential (not applicable for ABP review) and 5,599 sf of office space.

Urbancowboy

Postby Urbancowboy » 26 Aug 2021 19:08

More residential in the Design District is needed. The DD location is great because of it's close proximity to West End and Victory Park. They just need to create some pedestrian and bike friendly walk-ways and paths.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 27 Aug 2021 08:49

Urbancowboy wrote:More residential in the Design District is needed. The DD location is great because of it's close proximity to West End and Victory Park. They just need to create some pedestrian and bike friendly walk-ways and paths.

Agreed, the ped/bike infrastructure will, in a way, make or break the DD as a successful residential area, in my opinion. Such a huge opportunity to make an incredible place to live, work, and play in this district.
I'd love to see some actual "artists lofts" go up in various spots throughout the DD, you know, like what Atelier was supposed to have. And below market rate to support, you know, artists!

dalbert

Postby dalbert » 27 Aug 2021 10:42

Urbancowboy wrote:More residential in the Design District is needed. The DD location is great because of it's close proximity to West End and Victory Park. They just need to create some pedestrian and bike friendly walk-ways and paths.

It's on the way https://theloopdallas.org/hi-line-connector-renderings/

Urbancowboy

Postby Urbancowboy » 29 Aug 2021 13:57

dalbert wrote:

It's on the way https://theloopdallas.org/hi-line-connector-renderings/

Thanks for sharing the link. This is a ambitious plan but one that we connect the city. I'm looking forward to this project.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 08 Feb 2022 09:11

'Topgolf of soccer' brings location to the Design District

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... trict.html

After opening its first location at London's O2 arena last fall, TOCA Football will bring its second entertainment venue to the Dallas Design District.

TOCA Social will be a three-story venue that translates the company's soccer training technology into games for any skill level. The 56,000-square-foot venue will be located at 1313 Riverfront Blvd. and will also have food and drink service. It is expected to open in early 2023, the company said in a news release.

The Dallas venue will have four bars and 34 "boxes" for soccer-related games, described as the Topgolf of soccer.

TOCA started developing soccer training technology and opening facilities that utilize it to teach players of all ages. To date, the company has 15 training outposts. The company is using its latest capital raise to extend that number to 50 and expand into the entertainment venue business.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 08 Feb 2022 09:22

Seems like a fun spot that I will definitely be checking out. I also appreciate that this place and also the recently opened Electric Shuffle in Deep Ellum both chose to open locations in Dallas of all places.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 25 Mar 2022 14:01

Old Dallas warehouse district is the newest office address
Quadrant Investment Properties eyes new buildings in old Trinity Industrial District northwest of downtown Dallas.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... e-address/

One of Dallas’ oldest business districts is the city’s newest office development market.

During the 1940s and 1950s, builders turned what had been part of the old Trinity River floodplain northwest of downtown into a thriving commercial district. Hundreds of small warehouse and office buildings were constructed in the shadow of the river levees near Riverfront Boulevard.

willyk

Postby willyk » 08 Aug 2022 01:21

What market are they trying to reach —Love Field, Medical, DD?

Adaptive reuse leader M2G Ventures converting warehouses into offices

M2G’s new collection of warehouses are part of the firm’s latest round of acquisitions in the Brookhollow Industrial District northwest of downtown Dallas. The purchase includes the six-building Commonwealth Business Park on Woodall Street, located between the Dallas Design District and the medical district, plus two more office and warehouse buildings across the street.

https://therealdeal.com/texas/2022/04/2 ... o-offices/

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 08 Aug 2022 06:55

When the remnant course of Turtle Creek is restored to a living part of the environment from Reverchon park to the levee, then the design district will have a focal point.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 08 Aug 2022 16:45

tamtagon wrote:When the remnant course of Turtle Creek is restored to a living part of the environment from Reverchon park to the levee, then the design district will have a focal point.

This is exactly what I have been waiting for. The second it's no longer a drainage ditch, the perception of the Design District will change for the masses. Hi-Line connector will help, too.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Aug 2022 08:24

tamtagon wrote:When the remnant course of Turtle Creek is restored to a living part of the environment from Reverchon park to the levee, then the design district will have a focal point.

That would be such an amazing addition to DD.

willyk

Postby willyk » 10 Aug 2022 02:13

Tnexster wrote:

That would be such an amazing addition to DD.

Doesn’t sound like it’s high on the list of things to do.
https://www.dallasdoinggood.com/doing-g ... k-corridor

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 26 Aug 2022 11:17

Culinary Dropout is coming to the Design District. Will be a great addition! Been to the one in Austin, and such a great place. Same company that owns The Henry, Flower Child and founded North Italia.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/rest ... tle-creek/

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 10 Nov 2022 13:41

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 10 Nov 2022 18:32

More Office? Surprised none of these have a restaurant component.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 11 Nov 2022 09:12

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:More Office? Surprised none of these have a restaurant component.

Actually all 3 of them do. The River Edge development has 10K sf of retail / restaurant space, Market Center has 45K sf of retail / restaurant space and the Boomerang development has 8500 sf of retail / restaurant space. All total, the 3 developments will have about 64K sf of new retail / restaurant space. If you look at the map, all 3 of these developments are within the same area and easily walkable to the next.

eburress

Postby eburress » 11 Nov 2022 09:14

Those are some badass projects! I wonder what is the likelihood of any/all of them moving forward.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 11 Nov 2022 09:30

Kelley USA wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:More Office? Surprised none of these have a restaurant component.

Actually all 3 of them do. The River Edge development has 10K sf of retail / restaurant space, Market Center has 45K sf of retail / restaurant space and the Boomerang development has 8500 sf of retail / restaurant space. All total, the 3 developments will have about 64K sf of new retail / restaurant space. If you look at the map, all 3 of these developments are within the same area and easily walkable to the next.

I meant residential