Demolished (and about to be) Properties 2.0

jrd1964

Demolished (and about to be) Properties 2.0

Postby jrd1964 » 12 Mar 2017 09:26

20170310_143934a.jpg

20170310_143911a.jpg

The lot in the pictures (Malcolm X/Louise) was being fenced Friday in advance of demolition. I saw this while at a class at the CitySquare complex across the street. I'd heard that CitySquare had acquired the old gas station some time ago but I didn't hear what would be done with the lot. Since the new fence surrounds the station and the 2 boarded up houses I'm guessing CitySquare acquired those as well. I couldn't figure out what they would do with just the gas station, but with the acreage that includes the 2 houses, it may be clearer as to what's going on. Since this lot is so close to the Cottages area just to the north, my guess would be space for more cottages. It's sad to see more history going away (the gas station has to date to the 1920s or 1930s) but if CitySquare is involved it should be better in the long run than a trashed-out/vacant lot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ArtVandelay

Re: Demolished (and about to be) Properties 2.0

Postby ArtVandelay » 14 Mar 2017 06:12

I would argue the exact opposite is true. CitySquare squandered lots of money in the Cottages project. You can build a three bedroom house for what it cost them to build one cottage (nothing but a pre fab looking Shed). I believe each unit cost around $160,000.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 14 Mar 2017 13:01

ArtVandelay wrote:I would argue the exact opposite is true. CitySquare squandered lots of money in the Cottages project. You can build a three bedroom house for what it cost them to build one cottage (nothing but a pre fab looking Shed). I believe each unit cost around $160,000.

Wow, I didn't realize that.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 14 Mar 2017 19:11

not that this "Pink Palace" is an architectural gem in any way, but Mary Kay Ash's former home is being torn down today to make way for another mansion. It's no surprise as the house has no no real architectural value in it's outdated nouveau classic design. (I'm glad patrons have embraced a more true version of a classical house- or at least of those built in the teens and 20's of the 20th century). It was though, the home of a former Dallasite with some world renown. This is truly a city with no regard for it's past.

http://candysdirt.com/2017/03/14/mary-k ... -dust-r-p/

MAryKAy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 14 Mar 2017 20:21

NdoorTX wrote:not that this "Pink Palace" is an architectural gem in any way, but Mary Kay Ash's former home is being torn down today to make way for another mansion. It's no surprise as the house has no no real architectural value in it's outdated nouveau classic design. (I'm glad patrons have embraced a more true version of a classical house- or at least of those built in the teens and 20's of the 20th century). It was though, the home of a former Dallasite with some world renown. This is truly a city with no regard for it's past.

http://candysdirt.com/2017/03/14/mary-k ... -dust-r-p/

MAryKAy.jpg

So you concede that the building itself holds no architectural significant. You grant that it's outdated, and state your pleasure that others have better taste.

But simply because the home was owned by someone famous, its demolition is further proof that Dallas has "no regard for it's (sic) past?"

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 14 Mar 2017 23:06

yep ^. I'm not saddened by it. I had a feeling it would go down after languishing for years on the market and taking price chop after price chop. I'd rather see a Larry Boerder or Wilson Fuqua home there anyday.

I do lament when truly architecturally significant structures are torn down- whether a Hal Thompson or O'Neill Ford. Or whether it be residential or public. I didn't expect the house to be kept as a shrine to Mary Kay Ash. I would argue some structures hold historical significance by a former owner (Mount Vernon) or past events (former Dallas Police HQ). That to me is more important than fame when speaking of preservation. I should have made a clearer statement about how I felt about this teardown. I wasn't going to tie myself to a tree to stop it. It was though- an accurate comment on how many people feel about preservation of any kind in Dallas. Age, historical significance, architectural importance- it's all fair game in Dallas.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Mar 2017 23:59

NdoorTX wrote:yep ^. I'm not saddened by it. I had a feeling it would go down after languishing for years on the market and taking price chop after price chop. I'd rather see a Larry Boerder or Wilson Fuqua home there anyday.

I do lament when truly architecturally significant structures are torn down- whether a Hal Thompson or O'Neill Ford. Or whether it be residential or public. I didn't expect the house to be kept as a shrine to Mary Kay Ash. I would argue some structures hold historical significance by a former owner (Mount Vernon) or past events (former Dallas Police HQ). That to me is more important than fame when speaking of preservation. I should have made a clearer statement about how I felt about this teardown. I wasn't going to tie myself to a tree to stop it. It was though- an accurate comment on how many people feel about preservation of any kind in Dallas. Age, historical significance, architectural importance- it's all fair game in Dallas.

Ive always felt that Dallas Preservationists lament things being torn down that the general public really doesn't consider Historic nor Archictecturally significant. It "almost" seems like that they'll try to preserve anything that is old.. which IMO isn't an automatic qualifier as to what deserves to be preserved... The preservation of things like the Lakewood theatre that have been Staples in Neighborhoods and carry some local history deserve to be considered historic in my eyes.

However, there are some times where I can't help but feel that people use the preservation agenda to prevent change...Which isn't a good thing in most cases when talking about City Growth. I recall reading a Robert Wilsonksy story on DMN from last year. In the story it was mentioned that people were worried that an old house on Gaston was going to get torn down and in place townhomes were to be built there.

The house in question is in a area I'm very familiar with just FYI... I had always thought that specific corner was in desperate need of redevelopment.

In the story, it was reported that it was owned by some Dallas Businessman in the early 1900's or so. After reading the story, I asked myself...who actually knows who this guy was? He isn't exactly renowned, or celebrated in the community.. If this house is historic or important as some seem to think it is... Why has it been a complete dump..For literally my entire life?..The entire notion that a private property that once was owned by a wealthy person makes it more historic than lets say a home owned by you or me ,in the same Neighborhood, just is real stretch to me.. Regardless if it's a mansion or not.

After reflection, I thought the new Townhomes would add more value to the community; as it would help bring in new families to area and maybe help the area improve. I don't know what happened after that as I still see the house on the corner... Still a dump.. just sitting there.

Sometimes letting things go is the best thing to do. Don't get me wrong, I believe it's important to save Historic buildings. However I feel the " it deserves to be Historic" consideration is thrown out ever so easily in this town when trying to save buildings.

I feel the same about the house mentioned in this story. This was a private property that just so happened be owned by a successful person. I don't think this house's existence is something important to the community nor did anything of historical importance occur there. I don't think most people know or care about this building.. so why lament it?

Just my thoughts...

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 15 Mar 2017 09:42

After reading the story, I asked myself...who actually knows who this guy was? He isn't exactly renowned, or celebrated in the community..

Dallas could bump up its historical appreciation of local business leaders and war leaders with something like a statue garden as our state historical markers are kind of discombobulated all over the state. Put them in a downtown park and we'd have a unique amenity, and would be cool and easy to privately fund.

If you think back to history class and can remember minor historical figures like Patrick Henry and the Green Mountain boys, then a remembrance of local heroes makes sense and just needs a bit of local marketing.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 19 Nov 2018 14:51

Our Mr. Wilonsky wrote recently and longingly about yet another building about to, well, leave the building. The former Great National Life building (and local Salvation Army offices for a time as well) at Harry Hines/Mockingbird is about to call it a day. It dates to 1963, and has an unusual cladding that Robert lists as "brise-soleil". A new building for The Freeman Co. will occupy the space after the demo. They claim they will try to retain some of the facade in some way, but as with other developers and projects around here, the promises-in-advance are best left in the know-it-when-you-see-it file.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... demolished

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 19 Nov 2018 15:38

Ugh. It's like any older building with some level of architectural finesse in this city has a huge target on it for bulldozers, while insignificant buildings get a free pass. I can already imagine in my mind the boring, safe, glass and EIFS box that Freeman has in mind for the site of this beautiful structure.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 20 Nov 2018 14:24

Matt777 wrote:Ugh. It's like any older building with some level of architectural finesse in this city has a huge target on it for bulldozers, while insignificant buildings get a free pass. I can already imagine in my mind the boring, safe, glass and EIFS box that Freeman has in mind for the site of this beautiful structure.

No worries...they assured us a "architecturally significant building"...whatever that actually means.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 20 Nov 2018 15:02

Tnexster wrote:
Matt777 wrote:Ugh. It's like any older building with some level of architectural finesse in this city has a huge target on it for bulldozers, while insignificant buildings get a free pass. I can already imagine in my mind the boring, safe, glass and EIFS box that Freeman has in mind for the site of this beautiful structure.

No worries...they assured us a "architecturally significant building"...whatever that actually means.

Probably something like this:

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 21 Apr 2019 10:16

It’s gone. Totally. Not a single bit saved- unless the brise soleils were carted away & stored somewhere.
CF1AA72D-FF07-4421-8293-D7708F9FA4E0.jpeg

68C44CE4-1182-49AF-9C69-8D837F108A4E.jpeg

15427A85-CD90-48B8-BF9F-CEAF088F427F.jpeg

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 21 Apr 2019 13:54

So, what was this? I don't recognize it with just the trees.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 21 Apr 2019 19:10

itsjrd1964 wrote:So, what was this? I don't recognize it with just the trees.

Oh yeah, it's the Great National Life building, ( local Salvation Army). A mid-century jewel that will be replaced by an office building of unknown architectural integrity.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 22 Apr 2019 11:01

Well, I guess our Mr. Wilonsky did warn us about that one. At the rate we're going, the oldest thing in Dallas will be NorthPark.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 22 Apr 2019 11:37

itsjrd1964 wrote:Well, I guess our Mr. Wilonsky did warn us about that one. At the rate we're going, the oldest thing in Dallas will be NorthPark.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Perhaps the developer should have gotten this building designated as an Interstate Highway...then this forum would be ecstatic about demolishing it...

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 22 Apr 2019 17:18

itsjrd1964 wrote:So, what was this? I don't recognize it with just the trees.

http://www.preservationtexas.org/endang ... -building/

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 22 Apr 2019 18:27

*sigh*

muncien

Postby muncien » 23 Apr 2019 08:41

That's actually a really good picture of it. Last time I saw it in person, it looked like hell.
I'm curious how much it was purchased for. I'm sure it wasn't for much at all. I know a LOT of these buildings that we see go down are acquired for extremely cheap (First Baptist purchased theirs for $1.1m I believe). Apparently, there isn't much stomach for developers, or even private investors for that matter, to rehab many of these structures.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 23 Apr 2019 15:25

muncien wrote:That's actually a really good picture of it. Last time I saw it in person, it looked like hell.
I'm curious how much it was purchased for. I'm sure it wasn't for much at all. I know a LOT of these buildings that we see go down are acquired for extremely cheap (First Baptist purchased theirs for $1.1m I believe). Apparently, there isn't much stomach for developers, or even private investors for that matter, to rehab many of these structures.

One need only look at the Drever or Statler to see that rehabbing/renovating old structures for modern uses is fraught with risk and expense. And as long as there's still open lots for development, a blanket "historical" designation on all buildings in Dallas over a certain age will just lead to lots of buildings over a certain age lying vacant.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 23 Apr 2019 16:35

muncien wrote:That's actually a really good picture of it. Last time I saw it in person, it looked like hell.

Lots of these Midcentury Modern buildings are easy to forget about because the original landscaping (baby live oak trees, etc) have all grown up to obscure the architecture.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 23 Apr 2019 21:16

Sadly Belmont hotel will be next

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 24 Apr 2019 01:53

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Sadly Belmont hotel will be next

I really hope that's not the case. That hotel is beautiful and should be protected, all it needs is new management.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 24 Apr 2019 12:09

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Sadly Belmont hotel will be next

I really, really hope that doesn't happen, but have a fear that it might based off some of the recent articles that have come out.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 28 Apr 2019 17:36

The small triangular building at McKinney & Akard looks to have metal poles in the ground for fencing to go up. Any idea what the plan is here?

dzh

Postby dzh » 28 Apr 2019 22:17

R1070 wrote:The small triangular building at McKinney & Akard looks to have metal poles in the ground for fencing to go up. Any idea what the plan is here?

STK was supposed to open a location there. The Morning News even wrote about their intended move there (this was 2015 however). No idea if STK is finally going through (highly doubt it), but maybe a restaurant is finally moving in.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 29 Apr 2019 10:50

dzh wrote:
R1070 wrote:The small triangular building at McKinney & Akard looks to have metal poles in the ground for fencing to go up. Any idea what the plan is here?

STK was supposed to open a location there. The Morning News even wrote about their intended move there (this was 2015 however). No idea if STK is finally going through (highly doubt it), but maybe a restaurant is finally moving in.

Are we talking about the north corner that used to be Revive Douchepool Lounge or the south corner that's an office building (and originally a bookstore if I recall)?

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 29 Apr 2019 12:59

North corner, across from the (now vacant) Stampede 66 spot.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 Apr 2019 13:32

I've always just wished that plot could be better used as a plaza/park. I recognize Klyde Warren isn't far off but done right could be another fabulous gathering spot feeding off all the new residential and existing office space. I just don't see that site really working for much.

Obviously, any restaurant would have to be valet tied to some deal with a nearby parking garage since it's not likely to have enough onsite parking to make the price worth it when it comes to charging rent for office space. If SPACES were to assume control of that property I could see them setting it up as more office space for coworking rental.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 02 May 2019 19:47

C8454AE3-3B01-4E12-ADA3-4DFACFEB100C.jpeg

Doesn’t look like demo. I like this building, hopefully it gets a proper retrofit.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 12 Aug 2021 11:36

Not sure how long it's been in the works, and forgive me if this isn't news, but I noticed yesterday that 704 N Griffin is about to be demolished. It was purchased last year from Headington Cos by TANGO RF LLC out of Dallas.

IMG_8407.jpg

R1070

Postby R1070 » 12 Aug 2021 14:38

The FedEx that was there moved down to West End a while ago. I figured something would eventually happen to this building and that Wells Fargo bank drive thru.

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 12 Aug 2021 14:57

R1070 wrote:The FedEx that was there moved down to West End a while ago. I figured something would eventually happen to this building and that Wells Fargo bank drive thru.

I pray that this doesn’t end up being an empty lot or surface parking.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Aug 2021 16:46

Its headington.. this could be bad.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 12 Aug 2021 17:53

Jbarn wrote:
R1070 wrote:The FedEx that was there moved down to West End a while ago. I figured something would eventually happen to this building and that Wells Fargo bank drive thru.

I pray that this doesn’t end up being an empty lot or surface parking.

That's pretty much what the lot is already. lol

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 24 Sep 2021 06:32

lakewoodhobo wrote:Not sure how long it's been in the works, and forgive me if this isn't news, but I noticed yesterday that 704 N Griffin is about to be demolished. It was purchased last year from Headington Cos by TANGO RF LLC out of Dallas.

IMG_8407.jpg

Drove past this site last night and the building is gone.

I'm indifferent about this one, but surprised it didn't trigger the demolition delay. Maybe it did and nobody cared.

MrsKravitz

Postby MrsKravitz » 24 Sep 2021 20:47

Does anyone know what’s going on at the corner of McKinney and Hall? Across from Breadwinners, the buildings have been empty for years. One was an apartment locator, one was an antique shop. They’ve been boarded up for some time and today I saw that one has been demolished. Very curious to hear what might be built here. It’s just across from (old) Del Friscos/ soon to be Mi Cocina.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Sep 2021 09:59

I've been wanting those buildings gone for years now good to see someone finally doing it. Now the question is it gonna be valet parking or something else.

MrsKravitz

Postby MrsKravitz » 27 Sep 2021 23:17

Heard this weekend it’ll be parking…

willyk

Postby willyk » 28 Sep 2021 05:18

The original Lombardi’s, I think. The buildings could have been put to productive use until the site is redeveloped.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 28 Sep 2021 17:13

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I've been wanting those buildings gone for years now good to see someone finally doing it. Now the question is it gonna be valet parking or something else.

Why do you want them gone so badly? They need work but those buildings have character and could be a really cute patio restaurant with some renovation.

It sounds like we are getting a large surface parking lot there.... which just confirms all the bad stereotypes people have about Dallas and our built environment.

Our 3 job-holding mayor is still asleep at the wheel when it comes to meaningful urban development regulations. Just like his predecessors. Just like most of the city council members.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 28 Sep 2021 18:40

I agree that the city needs to get it together when it comes to urban planning. I do think the buildings across from Breadwinners needed to go. When the market demand picks up, I can’t imagine it staying parking for long.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 Sep 2021 10:47

I have watched them rot for years now hoping someone would take them on since its obviously an active corner but the neighborhood has seemingly not cared. Which if the neighborhood did care they would have pushed the city staff to intervene. The only way we protect any buildings and can hope to in any city is if the neighborhood cares and here it appears Uptown Dallas or neighborhood associations spent more time complaining about the Dream Hotel than they did applying pressure to these properties. City staff is limited and cant be expected to have eyes on every corner of this city. You have to have active engaged citizens who work with city staff to save buildings, push for better regulations etc. Its pretty obvious that the land owners here have been able to avoid intervention and neighborhood activism for some time now on this corner. The biggest problem in Dallas about old buildings is everyone assumes they are protected and then when the bulldozer comes at the last min we go screaming wait wait we want it saved. If you wanna save our history then start caring before the bulldozer shows up and stop sitting around expecting everyone else to care for you. City staff can only keep so many projects and priorities in motion at one given moment in time. They need public support and pressure to engage these issues head on.

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 29 Sep 2021 11:10

lakewoodhobo wrote:Not sure how long it's been in the works, and forgive me if this isn't news, but I noticed yesterday that 704 N Griffin is about to be demolished. It was purchased last year from Headington Cos by TANGO RF LLC out of Dallas.

IMG_8407.jpg

What is getting built here? Also saw the garage Heddington owns is getting some work done. Any news on that?

R1070

Postby R1070 » 29 Sep 2021 11:20

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I have watched them rot for years now hoping someone would take them on since its obviously an active corner but the neighborhood has seemingly not cared. Which if the neighborhood did care they would have pushed the city staff to intervene. The only way we protect any buildings and can hope to in any city is if the neighborhood cares and here it appears Uptown Dallas or neighborhood associations spent more time complaining about the Dream Hotel than they did applying pressure to these properties. City staff is limited and cant be expected to have eyes on every corner of this city. You have to have active engaged citizens who work with city staff to save buildings, push for better regulations etc. Its pretty obvious that the land owners here have been able to avoid intervention and neighborhood activism for some time now on this corner. The biggest problem in Dallas about old buildings is everyone assumes they are protected and then when the bulldozer comes at the last min we go screaming wait wait we want it saved. If you wanna save our history then start caring before the bulldozer shows up and stop sitting around expecting everyone else to care for you. City staff can only keep so many projects and priorities in motion at one given moment in time. They need public support and pressure to engage these issues head on.

In the end they were odd single use properties surrounded by awkward surface parking. Preserving them would not be best for the neighborhood. Having them clear and the space available for a much better development there makes the most sense.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Sep 2021 15:59

dd_dweller wrote:

IMG_8407.jpg

What is getting built here? Also saw the garage Heddington owns is getting some work done. Any news on that?

Speaking of garages and parking lots, while in the office today I looked down on Headington's surface lots. Didn't realize they were all still empty, maybe a handful of cars in each one.

MrsKravitz

Postby MrsKravitz » 29 Sep 2021 20:53

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Which if the neighborhood did care they would have pushed the city staff to intervene. The only way we protect any buildings and can hope to in any city is if the neighborhood cares and here it appears Uptown Dallas or neighborhood associations spent more time complaining about the Dream Hotel than they did applying pressure to these properties.

Strange comment since Uptown Dallas, neighborhood associations including the Oak Lawn committee and Dallas City Council all approved the Dream Hotel. Can’t blame the neighborhood if the developer missed their chance or ran out of money.

I disagree regarding putting pressure on city staff to intervene. Dallas city staff seems to have both no power and zero interest. Maybe if it’s a historic property it’s different. The two on the corner by Breadwinners have been an eyesore for years but not bad enough for anyone to bother trying to engage with the city. All you’d get are lies, pushback and BS for the most part. Not worth the effort.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 30 Sep 2021 10:31

MrsKravitz wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:Which if the neighborhood did care they would have pushed the city staff to intervene. The only way we protect any buildings and can hope to in any city is if the neighborhood cares and here it appears Uptown Dallas or neighborhood associations spent more time complaining about the Dream Hotel than they did applying pressure to these properties.

Strange comment since Uptown Dallas, neighborhood associations including the Oak Lawn committee and Dallas City Council all approved the Dream Hotel. Can’t blame the neighborhood if the developer missed their chance or ran out of money.

I disagree regarding putting pressure on city staff to intervene. Dallas city staff seems to have both no power and zero interest. Maybe if it’s a historic property it’s different. The two on the corner by Breadwinners have been an eyesore for years but not bad enough for anyone to bother trying to engage with the city. All you’d get are lies, pushback and BS for the most part. Not worth the effort.

Oh I am not blaming the city council etc for the loss of the Dream Hotel that is just how you said it the developer couldn't get it together so it didn't happen. I was simply is saying they were engaged on that project and they weren't here on this dead corner. That was a active construction project so it comes with the territory but this dead corner with some old buildings the city staff needs a push because they have a million people complaining at them about projects all over the city including new stuff like the Dream Hotel. And yes the city staff power is limited but the city can be a part of legislation to change how historic properties are protected. Dallas has loose regulations on historic properties and developers love that. If you want that changed you have to push the city to change it. Sitting on the sidelines and complaining on a online forum every time a building gets torn down about what could have been is equivalent to screaming into empty space.

Do what Oak Cliff did form a fake transit organization and create the Oak Cliff streetcar by submitting plans to the feds to fund a previously no existent project. Block off a street and create Better Block. A now functional organization that gets paid by cities to break the car dependency and activates dead neighborhood corners. I complain about Oak Lawn all the time but the people that have gotten the rainbow crosswalks and new traffic lights installed were people who got together and pushed until they got the city on the same page. I don't agree with the rainbow crosswalks but I recognize the reality that engaged citizens got it done while I sit on the other side of a computer screen.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 11 Oct 2021 21:05

Building on the "Dream Hotel" site is being demo'd.