The Cedars Developments

DPatel304

Re: The Cedars Developments

Postby DPatel304 » 17 Jul 2017 12:04

The video in the article mentions condos being built in the Ambassador hotel, is that new news? Fast forward to 1:42 to see what I'm referring to.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 18 Jul 2017 13:28

Investor snaps up big development site south of downtown Dallas

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... own-dallas

Dallas restaurateur and entrepreneur Mike Hoque has purchased about 15 acres on Corinth Street at Cesar Chavez Boulevard for redevelopment.

The purchase includes the shuttered Pilgrim's Pride plant south of downtown.

Hoque - who owns several successful downtown restaurants and businesses - said he wants to redevelop the land as a mixed-use project.

"There is an opportunity to build affordable housing there," he said. "A lot of people are being pushed out of Deep Ellum because rents for apartments and art studios are going up. It's the same thing in the Design District."

willyk

Postby willyk » 18 Jul 2017 23:07

Google Maps shows the old Pilgrim's Pride site as 2000-2400 S Good Latimer.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 21 Jul 2017 21:31

Exclusive Tour: Ambassador Hotel with Amazing History to Become Apartments

Renovation that begin Monday will transform the Ambassador Hotel into loft apartments with shops, restaurants, a swimming pool and once again, the speakeasy bar.

Link goes to video.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/Exclusive-tour-Ambassador-Hotel-with-amazing-history-to-become-apartments-435908393.html

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Jul 2017 10:00

Screenshots from the video above...
Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 9.55.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 9.55.28 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 25 Jul 2017 10:37

Is there an Ambassador thread? Looks like work is getting started per the DMN article below:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2017/07/25/construction-kicks-historic-ambassador-hotel-renovations

Lake is starting work to transform the historic building into 103 "micro" apartments.
"They will average around 500 square feet," Lake said. "We started demolition on the project today. We are officially underway."

I had forgotten they were going to be small units, which I think it pretty cool, especially if that brings the price point into a pretty reasonable range.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 Jul 2017 10:45

My favorite quote from the article...

was touted as the city's "first suburban luxury hotel."

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 Jul 2017 10:48

All those renderings...

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 10.46.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 10.46.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 10.46.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 9.55.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 9.55.42 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Jul 2017 10:49

exelone31 wrote:I had forgotten they were going to be small units, which I think it pretty cool, especially if that brings the price point into a pretty reasonable range.

Wow, had no idea these were smaller units, I think that's great. I do hope the price point is more reasonable, and gives more people the opportunity to live near Downtown.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 Jul 2017 10:56

One thing I agree on is reworking the one-way streets right there. Simplify them and remove the one ways at least from I-30 south.

This could certainly be simplified...

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 10.55.07 AM.png

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 26 Jul 2017 09:17

Wasn't there something listed before about an underground tunnel that connected the Ambassador to somewhere in the Cedars? Does anyone happen to know if that still exists? If it connects to Four Corners, that'd be an AWESOME amenity to feature.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Jul 2017 09:21

exelone31 wrote:Wasn't there something listed before about an underground tunnel that connected the Ambassador to somewhere in the Cedars? Does anyone happen to know if that still exists? If it connects to Four Corners, that'd be an AWESOME amenity to feature.

If you will watch the news report link provided above they talk about that and yes it connects the Ambassador with what used to be a horse barn that Four Corners has moved into. Don't expect that tunnel to reopened though. Last I heard the Ambassador development was looking into whether it was even safe to use the tunnel for storage if it was reopened. The tunnel has been closed off for decades now so I wonder what state it's even in if parts of it haven't already collapsed.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 26 Jul 2017 12:26

Thanks, I missed that one. It sounds like he'd like to reopen the tunnel, but I'd imagine that's more of a "nice to have" at this point.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Aug 2017 12:54

An inside look at Jim Lake's $24M plan to turn the historic Ambassador into an urban oasis

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... n-the.html

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 07 Sep 2017 11:52

Walked down Lamar yesterday. Pretty surprised to see that they're building a 7/11 on the corner of Lamar & Powhattan right next door to the South Side Flats apartments and across from Gilley's. Wonder if it's a full gas station 7/11 or just a convenience store...Either way, while nice that residents will have a store to quickly get what they need, it is still a bummer to see something that will likely have a some kind of surface lot in an area that could use more density.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 07 Sep 2017 12:18

I remember way back when, 7/11 announced a new store for the CBD. It was crossing a threshold back then for the recovering neighborhood, just as it is in The Cedars. Big News for sure. It's just a convenience store, but shows the beginning of a whole new deal.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 03 Nov 2017 12:37

This evening, three development teams will take the stage at Gilley's in The Cedars to pitch their community-focused projects in front of a live audience in the inaugural The Real Estate Council (TREC) version of Shark Tank.

If all goes well for the participants, the teams have the opportunity to walk away with $2.5 million of investment capital from some of North Texas' most well-known real estate investors and developers.

And they could score funding from Cuban, who is getting in on the action by offering his support through Shark Tank and his celebrity as an investment shark. The exposure could benefit the proposed projects and future projects in southern Dallas.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... -tank.html

This happened last night. So, if I'm understanding this directly, anyone can come and give their ideas for proposed developments they have for Dallas, and, if someone likes their idea, they can partner up with someone and make it happen?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 03 Nov 2017 12:58

Also, we have all these talks about burying I-345, but is burying I-30 a possibility to connect the Cedars to Downtown? I realize it's probably stupid, seeing as how we just finished a huge construction project there, but this seems to be much more feasible than burying I-345 to me.

From what I can see, most (maybe even all) of this stretch of highway is already underground, so it would simply involve decking the top part of it.

I also feel like there is a much bigger upside here to connect Downtown to the Cedars, versus Downtown to Deep Ellum. Mainly this is a completely unreasonable and asinine suggestions, but I'm just wondering why this isn't at least being discussed more.

(I thought I'd start the discussion based on tamtagon's post in the Dallas Smart District thread. I figured it was a little too off-topic for that threat though: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=362&start=50#p8894)

muncien

Postby muncien » 03 Nov 2017 13:15

^^^^
Not dumb at all. It is the most logical next step. I think the fact that Cedars has been one of the least 'happining' places is why it doesn't get talked about much. But, that has been changing slowly. Not sure if we are there yet, but we should be soon. Accessing the Cedars from downtown is FAR more difficult than getting to DE. And the fact that this section of fwy is already below grade should make it easier. Something like HSR could speed that along rather quickly...
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 03 Nov 2017 13:22

Yeah, I was wondering if there was some technical reason as to why this couldn't be done. But if we are looking at areas with a high ROI, this seems like it's one of the best. Both the southern part of the CBD and all of Cedars are just swaths of empty land waiting to be developed.

Deep Ellum is (comparatively) pretty built out, and development is harder in an area with historic buildings as well as a bunch of single family homes. There seems to be very little downside here, honestly.

The only shame is that the largest and least friendly part of I-30 happens to be the part directly south of the Farmer's Market. Connecting the Farmer's Market to Dallas Heritage Village would be extremely cool.

But anyway, this is something that could be done in phases too. Start small and add to it when the demand is there.

I, too, am hoping the HSR, as well as the newly proposed Smart District help speed up a project like this.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 03 Nov 2017 14:43

Decking over I-30 in downtown isn't really feasible for most of it, except for perhaps between Akard and Ervay. Even that stretch would be quite a bit trickier (and wider) than places that are typically considered ripe for decking, such as KWP (see before pic below) or the one being planned for the Zoo area.

Also, you seem to maybe be thinking of developing on top of it? If so, multiply costs 4x. A 1/4 mile developable span in DC cost $400 mil.

The stretch between Harwood and St Paul? Definitely not happening. If you want a technical reason, one of the big problems is all the on-ramps going from at-grade to below-grade.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 03 Nov 2017 15:21

So basically it's too wide to deck? I have seen that there are a lot of weird on-ramps, but, potentially those could be reconfigured to make this more feasible?

But you're right, this is a pretty ugly stretch of highway, and this project would be much harder than KWP. I guess my original point was that, would this be harder than tunneling/demolishing I-345? We've been talking about I-345 lately, but, by comparison, this seems to be easier (doesn't really mean it's a piece of cake or anything).

And no, I definitely wouldn't expect any development on top of it. Seem unnecessary, considering how much develop-able land there is around it.

muncien

Postby muncien » 03 Nov 2017 15:21

That mess from Cesar Chavez to St Paul is precisely why this needs to be done. Doesn't TxDOT have a plan for this corridor that already involves reworking these ramps? I'm not talking about the full relocation plan either... I don't think that current configuration is long for this world.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 04 Nov 2017 01:43

DPatel304 wrote:So basically it's too wide to deck? I have seen that there are a lot of weird on-ramps, but, potentially those could be reconfigured to make this more feasible?

But you're right, this is a pretty ugly stretch of highway, and this project would be much harder than KWP. I guess my original point was that, would this be harder than tunneling/demolishing I-345? We've been talking about I-345 lately, but, by comparison, this seems to be easier (doesn't really mean it's a piece of cake or anything).

And no, I definitely wouldn't expect any development on top of it. Seem unnecessary, considering how much develop-able land there is around it.

It's not really the width that makes it infeasible. A wide deck would be more expensive than the typical version, but I don't think (really just guessing) it would be particularly more challenging. If you're willing to pay for it, there's nothing I can think of that would be a reason not to.

The on/off-ramps, on the other hand: sure you could "reconfigure" them to make it possible.. if by reconfigure you mean remove. You just physically can't deck with roads going between at-grade and below-grade. (edit: you could also essentially rebuild I-30, though at that point it becomes a very large project, and you still would only be able to deck a portion of it.. see post below).

As for comparisons with 345, tunneling 345 would be an extremely complex and expensive project that is not even being considered. Putting 345 below-grade would be complicated and expensive (much more so than an Akard-Ervay deck) but doable (unlike a St Paul-Harwood deck without an I-30 rebuild). Tearing 345 down is moderately complicated and moderately expensive, certainly still more than an Akard-Ervay deck but also with a much greater transformational impact.
Last edited by tanzoak on 04 Nov 2017 02:08, edited 1 time in total.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 04 Nov 2017 01:59

muncien wrote:That mess from Cesar Chavez to St Paul is precisely why this needs to be done. Doesn't TxDOT have a plan for this corridor that already involves reworking these ramps? I'm not talking about the full relocation plan either... I don't think that current configuration is long for this world.

Ahhh durr yes. Forgot about this, which is embarrassing because it's the city's top priority. They're undoing the Cesar Chavez mess and removing all the center on/off-ramps, and changing the side forever ramps to frontage roads with normal entry/exit lengths. The net result is being able to squeeze in an additional deck park between Harwood and Cesar Chavez.

But still, we can't deck over the entire thing so long as we still want to be able to get on or off the highway in this stretch.

ps in addition to Akard-Ervay, we could also fairly easily put one around the convention center west of Griffin without too much extra work, if we're including that area in this discussion.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 05 Nov 2017 11:37

It's certainly a park with grass and trees, but -- maybe -- the entire deck would not have to be sturdy enough for tons of dirt, pavilions and restaurants. Is that something that could work? Focus on pedestrian and cycling... shade from flowering vines... Get rid of the exit loop-de-loo by Lorenzo and that's a park...?

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 05 Nov 2017 13:56

Tunneling 345 is a pipe dream. It's just not going to happen. It would conflict with the DART subway line, whose portal is too close to the 345 corridor. The amount of effort, engineering and conflicts of interest would make the costs too high. It's just not practical. The best option is simply turning 345 into a city blvd. If TxDOT and the city does this, it would largely help the areas near the Farmers Market, and thus around the Cedars.

I've also read that TxDOT has gone as far as to propose a twenty year plan of completely rerouting the 30 corridor away from Downtown, which would connect the Cedars back to the CBD. If they follow through with that plan, 45 would T near the Trinity River.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 05 Nov 2017 17:50

joshua.dodd wrote:I've also read that TxDOT has gone as far as to propose a twenty year plan of completely rerouting the 30 corridor away from Downtown, which would connect the Cedars back to the CBD. If they follow through with that plan, 45 would T near the Trinity River.

I wouldn't call it a plan. They included it as an option about what to do with I-30 and did some very perfunctory analysis to gauge if there's strong support for further exploration. I may be out of the loop, but I don't think I've heard any such rumblings among electeds? I'm pretty sure what has the political support (and makes the most sense imo) is the more straightforward option of straightening out the on/off-ramp mess downtown (allowing for a couple of deck parks) and sinking it below grade east of downtown (which would again allow for some deck parks if desired).

My reasoning for this preference is that relocate is estimated to result in ~13% increase in congestion vs the alternative and take 24 years to build instead of 10. There would certainly be a benefit, and it probably would have been better if that's what had been done in the initial routing. But I'm skeptical it's worth the cost of relocation now.

willyk

Postby willyk » 07 Nov 2017 21:47

Looks like the Longhorn Ballroom is back in action.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/eventdetail/meat-fight-2017/

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 18 Nov 2017 23:02

There was a 2 alarm fire in the Ambassador Hotel this evening. This was all I could find on it for now:

https://twitter.com/Box4Firebuffs/statu ... 3373496320

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 12 Dec 2017 07:00

The 7-Eleven store/Mobil station on S. Lamar (next to South Lamar Flats) is coming along. Looks like it's not far from opening. Gas pumps are installed, signs are in place and lit up. I guessing this store will do well, as there really isn't anything else in that immediate area for those in the South Side part of the Cedars.

Might this be an alternative to putting in that proposed 7-Eleven with gas pumps that was planned for St. Paul between the Stewpot and the Bridge? Or are there still plans for the St. Paul store?

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 09 Feb 2018 09:13

jrd1964 wrote:The 7-Eleven store/Mobil station on S. Lamar (next to South Lamar Flats) is coming along. Looks like it's not far from opening. Gas pumps are installed, signs are in place and lit up. I guessing this store will do well, as there really isn't anything else in that immediate area for those in the South Side part of the Cedars.

Might this be an alternative to putting in that proposed 7-Eleven with gas pumps that was planned for St. Paul between the Stewpot and the Bridge? Or are there still plans for the St. Paul store?

That new gas station looks so out of place there. It makes S Lamar look like Ross Ave.

Side note, do we know what's going on at the corner of Beaumont and Wall St across from the Digit apartments? There's been some demo activity the last few days.

363047F1-F8BD-417E-9662-E29E5AD2A953.jpeg

DBadger

Postby DBadger » 13 Feb 2018 15:17

/\
Maybe this? Although this article is quite old but it fits the description.
Intown did all the townhomes by Farmers Market.
https://dallas.towers.net/2016/11/09/in ... -district/

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 13 Feb 2018 16:16

DBadger wrote:/\
Maybe this? Although this article is quite old but it fits the description.
Intown did all the townhomes by Farmers Market.
https://dallas.towers.net/2016/11/09/in ... -district/

That has to be it, considering that InTown Homes still owns the property per DCAD. Thanks!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 13 Feb 2018 17:34

A decent addition to the area, I just wish it weren't so close to the DART rail considering how low in density it is.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 01 Jun 2018 15:36

In the block north of Ervay/Beaumont, developers want to renovate the strip that includes the Ervay Theater, a storefront that was once a Jack Ruby nightspot, and a commercial building that originally housed a NuGrape bottling plant and employee apartments. The article focuses on negotiations with the City, not specific renovation details (like if the Ervay would show movies and/or be a live venue).

https://dallas.towers.net/2018/05/31/er ... he-cedars/

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 01 Jun 2018 21:42

This is great

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 04 Jun 2018 09:10

Turning the Ervay into a live venue would be awesome. I didn't even realize this cool little strip existed. Combine that with the new Four Corners and the soon-to-be-redone Ambassador, and that's a neat pocket of the Cedars.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 04 Jun 2018 10:03

There are already good pockets all over the Cedars and good bones between all the generic warehouses built over the decades. Akard and Ervay both have great potential strips of old buildings waiting for new revival into a street long active area like Davis street in Oak Cliff or Magnolia in Fort Worth.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 04 Jun 2018 10:32

cowboyeagle05 wrote:There are already good pockets all over the Cedars and good bones between all the generic warehouses built over the decades. Akard and Ervay both have great potential strips of old buildings waiting for new revival into a street long active area like Davis street in Oak Cliff or Magnolia in Fort Worth.

Completely agree that there are already cool areas in the Cedars. I'm happy to see things potentially expanding and connecting.

I'm not too familiar with the area, but are there other cool old buildings like these that could be repurposed on Akard and Ervay, or are you thinking more along the lines of tear-down and rebuild?

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 04 Jun 2018 16:15

I have a piece by sculptor Eben Lee Hall who used to live in the Ervay Theater. He called his gallery The Ruby Works. That was around 2000. It was a really cool space. The Velvet Curtain used to lease it from him for their "parties".

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Jun 2018 09:11

The good thing about the Cedars is it hasn't been overrun by developers yet. It's still growing at a leisurely pace so the residents and business owners there have time to put in place things that can help it grow thoughtfully rather than how let's say Ross Avenue is growing with no oversight. Ross could have been quite the stroll but its just gonna be a street with drive-thrus/gas stations and large apartment blocks with tiny street-level interaction. I hope the business association they are setting up is able to make a solid impact on the growth of the area.

MarieE

Postby MarieE » 18 Jun 2018 12:50

The Ervay Theater has been renovated and is now open for events. The owner is working with the city to have the sign updated with an authentic-looking LED marquee and he's added more parking on the corner, so valet isn't required up to 50 cars. He also owns the attached buildings and plans to expand the event venue and/or add restaurants.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 07 Jan 2019 01:04

Didn't know about this, but the Nylo Hotel on Lamar is now Canvas Hotel Dallas (https://canvashoteldallas.com/).

(A Google of the other Nylo properties finds the others have changed as well, with the Plano, Las Colinas, and Providence-Warwick, RI hotels becoming Tapestry Collection by Hilton properties, and the NYC hotel has flipped to a different local name, Arthouse Hotel NYC. So it looks like the chain and the brand has poofed. The website for Nylo even redirects to the Tapestry hotel in Plano's website.)

https://www.dallasobserver.com/arts/nyl ... l-11417141
https://www.interstatehotels.com/2018/1 ... ry-1-2019/

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 07 Jan 2019 01:17

itsjrd1964 wrote:Didn't know about this, but the Nylo Hotel on Lamar is now Canvas Hotel Dallas (https://canvashoteldallas.com/).

(A Google of the other Nylo properties finds the others have changed as well, with the Plano, Las Colinas, and Providence-Warwick, RI hotels becoming Tapestry Collection by Hilton properties, and the NYC hotel has flipped to a different local name, Arthouse Hotel NYC. So it looks like the chain and the brand has poofed. The website for Nylo even redirects to the Tapestry hotel in Plano's website.)

https://www.dallasobserver.com/arts/nyl ... l-11417141
https://www.interstatehotels.com/2018/1 ... ry-1-2019/

IMHO the new branding from the new owner seems amateurish and unoriginal. Nylo becomes Canvas, SODA bar becomes "The Gallery," and the first floor restaurant will be called Chef's Palette. SODA bar was a pretty cool spot with an awesome view. Let's see what happens I guess.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 08 Feb 2019 14:53

Here's why it's taking so long to revive downtown Dallas' 115-year-old Ambassador Hotel

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... ador-hotel

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 08 Feb 2019 15:00

I completely forgot about this project.

Before work begins, Lake needs Dallas City Hall to give him a street — the stretch of South St. Paul coming out of downtown across Interstate 30. In Lake's plan, St. Paul would be gated off at East Griffin Street and turned into the Ambassador's new driveway — no one in or out save for residents and their guests. The road would no longer merge back into Ervay, into that concrete tangle that makes driving that stretch of the Cedars confusing even to the Dallas born-and-bred.

To accommodate that ask, East Griffin between Ervay and St. Paul will have to be two-wayed. So, too, will Ervay coming out of downtown. That will require new signage and new signals.

And none of that can happen without approval from the City Plan Commission and the Dallas City Council.

City officials like the idea of sorting out the mess of roads. Michael Rogers, the city's newish transportation director, said Thursday that the prerequisite public hearing is penciled in for the end of February or early March.

Sounds like everything is on hold right now, until they can come to some agreement regarding the roads here. Anyone with some insight/thoughts on these changes? I generally don't drive a lot in the urban core, and rarely make it out to the Cedars, so I'm almost always on board for reducing roads and getting rid of one-ways.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 08 Feb 2019 17:11

DPatel304 wrote:Sounds like everything is on hold right now, until they can come to some agreement regarding the roads here. Anyone with some insight/thoughts on these changes? I generally don't drive a lot in the urban core, and rarely make it out to the Cedars, so I'm almost always on board for reducing roads and getting rid of one-ways.

I'm not sure anyone would miss that stretch of South St. Paul since it's mostly used by the homeless walking south from The Bridge. It's just a matter of holding the required public meetings and walking the item down to the City Council vote, whenever that happens.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 13 Feb 2019 20:52

Dallas bar owners partner up to create new dive bar in the Cedars District
Two young Dallas bar owners have joined forces to open a bar together.

The new bar is called Mike's Gemini Twin and it's a collaboration between Sam Wynne, co-owner of Braindead Brewing, and Pasha Heidari, owner of Bowen House.

Mike's is going into a space at 1902 S. Harwood St. that previously was home to a bar called El Granero, which has moved.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... d-brewing/

I missed this article when it was actually posted, but apparently this place is opening tonight (according to CultureMap Dallas's Facebook page). I've never been to this side of the Cedars, but it's cool to see some development here.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 14 Feb 2019 12:35

Good find. Before and after: