The Cedars Developments

Thymant

The Cedars Developments

Postby Thymant » 01 Mar 2017 17:41

The Cedars: Urban Industrial ‘Loft-Style’

The Cedars is a gateway community to the city’s South Side and in the early 20th century it was an upscale neighborhood where lawyers and businessmen working downtown would retire at the end of the workday to stately Victorian homes. In the latter half of the century, the professional class migrated north and the neighborhood became more industrial.

That all began to change after Dallas Area Rapid Transit opened Cedars Station in 1997 and local developer Jack Matthews of Matthews Southwest capitalized on its presence. He launched an urban residential revival when he renovated the nine-story former Sears complex, turning it into the 457-unit South Side on Lamar, 1409 S. Lamar St. Other Matthews Southwest projects in The Cedars include the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, 1005 S. Lamar St.

http://dallas.towers.net/2016/07/26/the-cedars-urban-industrial-loft-style/

Thymant

Re: The Cedars Developments

Postby Thymant » 01 Mar 2017 17:44

Digit 1919

Taken by me

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 01 Mar 2017 22:51

Why do all the apartment buildings look so cheap in this neighborhood.

vman

Postby vman » 02 Mar 2017 07:10

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Why do all the apartment buildings look so cheap in this neighborhood.

It pains me to say that I agree, the apartments do look cheap in Cedars. There's a development to the east of Lamar that honestly looks like subsidized housing.

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 02 Mar 2017 08:34

vman wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Why do all the apartment buildings look so cheap in this neighborhood.

It pains me to say that I agree, the apartments do look cheap in Cedars. There's a development to the east of Lamar that honestly looks like subsidized housing.

That's because it is subsidized, that is if your referring to The Belleview. In terms of the style in the area, it is different, but I've personally grown to accept it as it gives the Cedars it's own unique identity.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 01 May 2017 17:45

New Dallas condo development in Cedars gets nearly $10M to kick off project

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... early.html

muncien

Postby muncien » 02 May 2017 09:41

I a bit skeptic on all these 'funky' designs being used in The Cedars neighborhood. I mean... I don't have anything against funky in general, but in the renderings, these all seem to miss the mark a bit. Hopefully, the reality is different. Otherwise, this area may not age very well...
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 02 May 2017 10:08

muncien wrote:I a bit skeptic on all these 'funky' designs being used in The Cedars neighborhood. I mean... I don't have anything against funky in general, but in the renderings, these all seem to miss the mark a bit. Hopefully, the reality is different. Otherwise, this area may not age very well...

I've thought the same. The architecture is rather cheap for these apartments. Most of these developments are just stucco and funky colors.

Rather than bright colors.. I wish they would just do murals on these apartments.

There's some nice developments in the cedars tho. The David Weekly Homes are nice. Maybe to nice... Rather expensive lol. But hey, the area could use more of that.

DBadger

Postby DBadger » 02 May 2017 10:47

I'm not clear on the location. Is this supposed to be Harwood?

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 02 May 2017 10:55

muncien wrote:I a bit skeptic on all these 'funky' designs being used in The Cedars neighborhood. I mean... I don't have anything against funky in general, but in the renderings, these all seem to miss the mark a bit. Hopefully, the reality is different. Otherwise, this area may not age very well...

This is the big issue concerning these stucco apartments. They are not going to age well. Especially these ridiculous color schemes, which will age badly.

I feel like these developers just don't give a shit about architecture anymore and all they want is some cheap and quick design so they can build as fast as possible. I doubt many of these are being built with quality material and construction as well.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 May 2017 14:14

What are rents like in the Cedars area?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 May 2017 14:37

Let's look at at the Gables Apartment block in the West Village. It was built more recently aka within the last 10-15 years and the developer has decided more recently that it's easier to tear down and build a denser development on the same site.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 02 May 2017 15:00

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Let's look at at the Gables Apartment block in the West Village. It was built more recently aka within the last 10-15 years and the developer has decided more recently that it's easier to tear down and build a denser development on the same site.

23 years, but who's counting? ;-)

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 May 2017 16:40

Tucy wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:Let's look at at the Gables Apartment block in the West Village. It was built more recently aka within the last 10-15 years and the developer has decided more recently that it's easier to tear down and build a denser development on the same site.

23 years, but who's counting? ;-)

The point being they didn't build that property to last and lord knows its more of the same stucco crap. At least it permits easy teardown cause we aren't in love with it. Course I too would prefer better buildings.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 02 May 2017 16:44

cowboyeagle05 wrote:The point being they didn't build that property to last and lord knows its more of the same stucco crap. At least it permits easy teardown cause we aren't in love with it. Course I too would prefer better buildings.

I wonder if this was their intention when they originally built it, though. Uptown was completely different 23 years ago, so perhaps they did intend for it to last. I honestly don't have much of a problem with this particular complex and would have been fine even if it stayed for the net 30 years.

With that said, I think you're right about some of the recent quick/easy stucco apartments popping up everywhere. If their plan is to replace it in a couple decades, I'm okay dealing with it in the short term. Yes, it's ugly, but we are bringing new residents to the city. I'm hoping that CVS plans to do the same with their Uptown location as well as the upcoming Bishop Arts location.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 02 May 2017 16:53

joshua.dodd wrote:I feel like these developers just don't give a shit about architecture anymore and all they want is some cheap and quick design so they can build as fast as possible. I doubt many of these are being built with quality material and construction as well.

Fancy design costs money, so you're just not going to get that outside of premium areas. Most housing built in a particular era, even housing that we now think is beautiful, is pretty uniform in style. Brooklyn brownstones are the peak of utter uniformity--people *hated* them, thought they were cheap-looking, a blight, ruined the character, shoddily constructed etc, until they suddenly didn't and were instead classic, gorgeous, highly sought after etc. Because that's what time does.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 02 May 2017 18:48

tanzoak wrote:
joshua.dodd wrote:I feel like these developers just don't give a shit about architecture anymore and all they want is some cheap and quick design so they can build as fast as possible. I doubt many of these are being built with quality material and construction as well.

Fancy design costs money, so you're just not going to get that outside of premium areas. Most housing built in a particular era, even housing that we now think is beautiful, is pretty uniform in style. Brooklyn brownstones are the peak of utter uniformity--people *hated* them, thought they were cheap-looking, a blight, ruined the character, shoddily constructed etc, until they suddenly didn't and were instead classic, gorgeous, highly sought after etc. Because that's what time does.

Stucco will never be "classic". Lol ugh..

eburress

Postby eburress » 02 May 2017 19:10

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
tanzoak wrote:

I couldn't agree more!!

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 02 May 2017 19:14

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
tanzoak wrote:

People used to loathe brownstone material, as well, so.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 02 May 2017 20:47

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
tanzoak wrote:

I don't see why it matters that stucco is being used for affordable condos. Given the huge lack of affordable options around the city center I'm surprised more people are not excited that we are a least getting something else on the market. Regardless of what most people feel about stucco, when trying to build affordable it makes sense.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 03 May 2017 04:58

The issue is not so much the stucco in the Cedars as it is for every new apartment building going up throughout the entire city. Stucco here and stucco there. Even in Uptown and where rent is particularly high, stucco here and there.

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 03 May 2017 06:39

joshua.dodd wrote:The issue is not so much the stucco in the Cedars as it is for every new apartment building going up throughout the entire city. Stucco here and stucco there. Even in Uptown and where rent is particularly high, stucco here and there.

I agree and the condos in the Cedars are affordable and using stucco on affordable units is reasonable. So it's interesting how the discussion has become focused on the materials used and not on the addition of affordable housing near the CBD.

Jay9398

Postby Jay9398 » 03 May 2017 09:07

There is absolutely nothing wrong with stucco in general. It can be lovely when it is applied correctly and fits the design of a building. There are plenty of lovely, well-designed homes in Highland Park that make good use of stucco.

The "stucco" everyone is right (in my opinion) to hate is the cheap, obviously prefab panels with noticeable lines between them. The Gables development at least attempted to mask these seams, unlike that travesty called The Lennox across the street.

The same crap is being used in the Cedars, and not just on the apartment buildings. It's on those high-dollar townhomes off of Powhattan St as well. It makes me cringe, but people are snatching them up, so what do I know...

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 03 May 2017 12:15

Maybe they're simply planning for the future, angling at the aesthetic update of whatever is popular in 20 years.
:lol: :P

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 03 May 2017 13:11

tamtagon wrote:Maybe they're simply planning for the future, angling at the aesthetic update of whatever is popular in 20 years.
:lol: :P

Well, try 80. In 2047, people will think it's even more horrendous than they do now. But it'll come around!

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 03 May 2017 13:13

Honestly, I don't even know what this stucco style that you guys are talking about is, anyway. Pictures?

Jay9398

Postby Jay9398 » 03 May 2017 13:35

tanzoak wrote:Honestly, I don't even know what this stucco style that you guys are talking about is, anyway. Pictures?

stucco.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 03 May 2017 13:43

Jay9398 wrote:stucco.jpg

Huh. Just looks boring to me, as is all housing that wasn't built for rich people. I don't get the hate.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 03 May 2017 14:08

This is going up in the Cedars next to the Lorenzo. :?

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 May 2017 14:09

tanzoak wrote:

Huh. Just looks boring to me, as is all housing that wasn't built for rich people. I don't get the hate.

Going back to this question again, what does rent run in the Cedars area? I assume it is more affordable but I really don't know.

Jay9398

Postby Jay9398 » 03 May 2017 14:27

Tnexster wrote:
tanzoak wrote:

Going back to this question again, what does rent run in the Cedars area? I assume it is more affordable but I really don't know.

You can get a 1 bedroom in this lovely edifice for about $1,400. A two bedroom will run you $2,000+

flats.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 03 May 2017 14:35

Tnexster wrote:
tanzoak wrote:

The rents vary all depending on the place you choose, but currently there are not a lot of options. I would say the rents are identical to the rates in oak lawn and west dallas.

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 13 Jun 2017 18:57

Digit 1919

By Me

DBadger

Postby DBadger » 14 Jun 2017 11:20

I think so far it looks a lot better than the renderings.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Jun 2017 13:52

It's okay. Still ugly. But okay. Could've been worse.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 14 Jun 2017 15:03

I lived over in the Sears lofts for a couple of years back when they opened. We were all pioneers over there with no amenities and downtown still had not begun to grow again and there was no uptown to speak of. We had to get on the highway and go to the Alberstons on Lemmon to get groceries. I will take a lot of so and so buildings putting people on those streets and going to the Alamo theater and the few restaurants. I always thought this area had great potential in the long run.

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 14 Jun 2017 15:59

Cbdallas wrote:I lived over in the Sears lofts for a couple of years back when they opened. We were all pioneers over there with no amenities and downtown still had not begun to grow again and there was no uptown to speak of. We had to get on the highway and go to the Alberstons on Lemmon to get groceries. I will take a lot of so and so buildings putting people on those streets and going to the Alamo theater and the few restaurants. I always thought this area had great potential in the long run.

I frequent this area, mainly for the Alamo Drafthouse, and I couldn't agree more. This area really just needs more residents at this moment in time if we are going to continue to see it grow.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Jun 2017 16:37

Well, one man owns a large portion of it at least the Lamar stretch. He has been pretty slow paced at developing it until recently when the Alamo and that new apartment block was built. He seems to be wanting to slowly phase in more development.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Jun 2017 16:41

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Well, one man owns a large portion of it at least the Lamar stretch. He has been pretty slow paced at developing it until recently when the Alamo and that new apartment block was built. He seems to be wanting to slowly phase in more development.

Doesn't Mark Cuban own some parcels near by?

willyk

Postby willyk » 15 Jun 2017 01:49

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:Well, one man owns a large portion of it at least the Lamar stretch. He has been pretty slow paced at developing it until recently when the Alamo and that new apartment block was built. He seems to be wanting to slowly phase in more development.

Maybe they are waiting for construction of the HSR to start, expecting to do development on a much larger scale than what we have so far.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 15 Jun 2017 02:07

willyk wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:

Maybe they are waiting for construction of the HSR to start, expecting to do development on a much larger scale than what we have so far.

Yeah, that's my theory as well. In both the Cedars and near the Trinity River, developers are waiting to see what becomes of these two massive scale projects. If true, it's quite the shame, because these areas could be up and coming right now, but they are lagging behind other parts of the city.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 15 Jun 2017 09:27

He has owned the land long before there was even a whiff of an idea of a high-speed rail station. He is obviously a patient man.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 18 Jun 2017 12:06

I don't know the extent of damage, but, I believe there was a significant fire overnight at the Wall Street Townhomes.

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 22 Jun 2017 12:15

David Weekly Townhomes:

By Me

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 22 Jun 2017 12:16

Not sure which project this is, more than likely Townhomes, located along Akard St:

By Me

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 22 Jun 2017 12:21

CTroyMathis wrote:I don't know the extent of damage, but, I believe there was a significant fire overnight at the Wall Street Townhomes.

I noticed that a townhome under construction was burned, is that what you were referring to?

eburress

Postby eburress » 22 Jun 2017 13:12

Thymant wrote:David Weekly Townhomes:

By Me

I'm glad they're being built, but damn those David Weekly Townhomes are UGLY!! hahaha

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 22 Jun 2017 14:13

It almost looks like the fake facades off Disney's Main Street USA.

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 22 Jun 2017 15:18

mdg109 wrote:It almost looks like the fake facades off Disney's Main Street USA.

Well although the designs in the Cedars are weird and not my taste either, at least this area wont turn into a Uptown replica.

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 17 Jul 2017 11:37

Businesses Band Together as The Cedars Sees New Life
Growth surging in neighborhood south of Downtown Dallas
By Ken Kalthoff, NBCDFW, 07-14-17

Video and article: http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Businesses-Band-Together-as-The-Cedars-Sees-New-Life-434580943.html#ixzz4n5IFM1NL