DTD: Farmer's Market 1.0

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Re: DTD: Farmer's Market 1.0

Postby undefinedprocess » 08 Jun 2021 10:37

potatocoins wrote:
tamtagon wrote:Having some quite residential blocks in-between multiple block of over-retailed block isn't a bad thing. Could become a major draw for more residential....

That's a good point. Currently, it's a bit too quiet/sleepy for my tastes, but once the East Quarter and Smart District area start developing more, I could see myself really enjoying some of these apartments around the Farmer's market just because it may be comparatively more quiet.

Kind sir, don't you dare disrespect NewPark. Smart District was the name of the failed HQ2 pitch. It is NewPark, courtesy of the same genius naming scheme that brought you SoGood

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 08 Jun 2021 11:05

:lol:

Maybe I should start calling it "SoNew" or "SoSmart" instead?

jsoto3

Postby jsoto3 » 17 Jul 2021 15:16

Here's the UDPRP submittal for the Pearl Lofts:
https://dallascityhall.com/departments/ ... mittal.pdf

seanmbuckley

Postby seanmbuckley » 13 Apr 2022 11:30

New entryway sign being proposed at the end of Pearl leading into the Farmer's Market. Should be a good pedestrian pull for those at Harwood Park and the East Quarter

Entry Sign.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Urbancowboy

Postby Urbancowboy » 14 Apr 2022 14:30

This is going to look great and is a like a great "Welcome" mat for residents and visitors.

eburress

Postby eburress » 14 Apr 2022 14:53

I like it. I wish Dallas neighborhoods had these entryway arches like San Diego neighborhoods do.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Apr 2022 15:00

I am still caught in a back and forth in my mind on replacing most of the Farmer's Market with apartments. While I wholeheartedly agree more units near the farmer's Market were desperately needed I had hoped with more units surrounding the old footprint of the market the other sheds would get more use as the market became a larger attraction. The new owners obviously decided that was never gonna happen and that shrinking the market down to two sheds was enough. I guess I was just delusional to think it could one day become a real big market with larger permanent merchants taking shed space. I will always still wonder but I am happy the city got out of the way and I still like the way the current owners changed the farmer's market itself. The old way of reselling old produce off the back of 18-wheelers was garbage and was the reason it was so dead in the first place. It was not a Farmers Market back in those days it was a glorified trunk sale in an old Walmart parking lot back then.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

willyk

Postby willyk » 15 Apr 2022 03:40

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I am still caught in a back and forth in my mind on replacing most of the Farmer's Market with apartments. While I wholeheartedly agree more units near the farmer's Market were desperately needed I had hoped with more units surrounding the old footprint of the market the other sheds would get more use as the market became a larger attraction. The new owners obviously decided that was never gonna happen and that shrinking the market down to two sheds was enough. I guess I was just delusional to think it could one day become a real big market with larger permanent merchants taking shed space. I will always still wonder but I am happy the city got out of the way and I still like the way the current owners changed the farmer's market itself. The old way of reselling old produce off the back of 18-wheelers was garbage and was the reason it was so dead in the first place. It was not a Farmers Market back in those days it was a glorified trunk sale in an old Walmart parking lot back then.

It’s pretty full with artisan booths on a good day, and they spill out on to the sidewalks and streets. I too wonder if they could have filled a second outdoor shed on those days.

willyk

Postby willyk » 03 May 2022 06:02

I saw demo underway near Park Ave and Marilla. Isn’t that near the location where a new multi family project was announced a few months ago? Or is this something else?

Is it this project? The location does not seem quite right.

Now Mill Creek is also looking to build a 16-story rental project on Wood Street in downtown Dallas just blocks from the Farmers Market.

The Modera St. Paul high-rise would be built south of the Statler Hotel on what is now a parking lot. The building site is owned by Dallas’ Hamilton Properties, which has developed multiple downtown residential projects.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... rs-market/

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 25 May 2022 13:17

City Council approves $6.5 million agreement for new Dallas Farmers Market apartments - Dallas Morning News
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2022/05/25/city-council-approves-65-million-agreement-for-new-dallas-farmers-market-apartments/
On Wednesday, the Dallas City Council approved a $6.5 million development agreement with local developer Spectrum Properties Ltd. for Pearl Lofts, a six-story community with 100 apartment units along Pearl Street and Jan Pruitt Way. The development is estimated to cost $33.2 million.

This marks the final parcel to be redeveloped at the Dallas Farmers Market, which spans 16.5 acres bounded by Marilla Street, Cesar Chavez Boulevard, Harwood Street and Interstate 30.

Happy to see that a third of the units will be affordable housing.

cyklopz

Postby cyklopz » 01 Jun 2022 17:49

Zmitz wrote:
DPatel304 wrote:
A few years ago, I recall reading the city wanted to make more of an effort to make Marilla street more pedestrian friendly hoping to better connect the Farmer's Market and City Hall. This development will certainly be a (small) step towards that goal.

Here is an update from 6/3 on that small condo development at 1880 Canton. I wonder what the pricing will be given the location.

It's actually a huge step backwards. This is project is an absolute disaster...a total eye sore brought to by the same builder of The Destination on Peters which is already falling apart. These guys scour for "cheap parts" and hodge podge a "structure" together over a long period of time. Guaranteed this will be the ugliest & worst build building in CBD.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 02 Jun 2022 20:24

cyklopz wrote:
Zmitz wrote:
DPatel304 wrote:
A few years ago, I recall reading the city wanted to make more of an effort to make Marilla street more pedestrian friendly hoping to better connect the Farmer's Market and City Hall. This development will certainly be a (small) step towards that goal.

Here is an update from 6/3 on that small condo development at 1880 Canton. I wonder what the pricing will be given the location.

It's actually a huge step backwards. This is project is an absolute disaster...a total eye sore brought to by the same builder of The Destination on Peters which is already falling apart. These guys scour for "cheap parts" and hodge podge a "structure" together over a long period of time. Guaranteed this will be the ugliest & worst build building in CBD.

Nah it's a W. This site is near the old stew pot site. There's homeless ppl that frequent around that area and sleep outside the stew pot site. We have developer willing to build there and add some value. That's a dub.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 02 Jun 2022 20:48

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
cyklopz wrote:
Zmitz wrote:

Nah it's a W. This site is near the old stew pot site. There's homeless ppl that frequent around that area and sleep outside the stew pot site. We have developer willing to build there and add some value. That's a dub.

To add...

Yeah we all know the architect is ass...
But Digit 1919 wasn't as bad

Urbancowboy

Postby Urbancowboy » 04 Jun 2022 14:36

The fact that this new apartment will have some units for lower income households is a huge win for downtown Dallas.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 05 Jun 2022 15:33

I don't think the development is an eyesore ...at least in it's current form. Certainly not the worst I've seen..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 05 Jun 2022 19:56

I think it's a good little infill project.

cyklopz

Postby cyklopz » 05 Jun 2022 20:18

It won't end up being for sale. Book it. It's junk.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 13 Dec 2022 14:23

South Carolina developer plans downtown Dallas high-rise
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... high-rise/

Woodfield Development has filed plans with the state for a 21-story residential tower on South Good Latimer Expressway near Interstate 30.

The high-rise would be built on one of the last large development sites in the Farmers Market area which has seen hundreds of new apartments built in the last decade.

The $125 million residential building called the GreenHouse would be one of the first such high-rise projects in the Farmers Market neighborhood.

Construction is set to start on the 573,000-square-foot project in May of 2023 with a two year development timetable.
Dallas architect Corgan is designing the building.

Founded in 2005, Woodfield Development has built more than 30 luxury apartment communities in the Carolinas, Washington, D.C. area, Atlanta, Philadelphia and Florida. Earlier this year the developer opened a Dallas office to expand its activities to Texas. The company’s first Dallas project is planned across the street from the 340-unit Skyliine Farmers Market apartments, which were purchased this summer by investor SPI Advisory of Dallas.

https://www.corgan.com/projects/the-greenhouse

The Greenhouse Aerial_large.jpg

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 13 Dec 2022 14:54

If that's the design they end up going with it's not too awful as far as garage coverage goes, but It's probably safe to assume the freeway facing side looks abysmal like these things always do :lol:

I wish we would impose design rules on podiums that require them to look seamless with the rest of the building. We could at least pretend our city isn't as car-centric as it is, but these unpleasant metal walls give up the game and make pedestrian life bland. Austin's downtown really suffers from how prevalent these are.
Like, I actually really like this design for an infill project--but it all falls apart visually when you get to the garage. Every time.

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 13 Dec 2022 18:18

Austin - “hold my 80 story super tall resi beer”

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 13 Dec 2022 18:19

IcedCowboyCoffee wrote:If that's the design they end up going with it's not too awful as far as garage coverage goes, but It's probably safe to assume the freeway facing side looks abysmal like these things always do :lol:

Scroll down the Corgan link and there's a rendering of the back side showing the pool deck. Honestly, it won't be completely awful it ends up looking like this when built. Can you still tell there's a parking podium? Yes, but it isn't completely exposed at least.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 13 Dec 2022 18:26

Yeah that's much better in the back than what I was expecting

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 13 Dec 2022 18:52

This is fine.

wbarch

Postby wbarch » 20 Dec 2022 10:41

This came out of the blue for me. It appears they bought two narrow sites and are abandoning a piece of a street to create the site. Good Latimer shaping up to be a great link from the East side of The Cedars back to Deep Ellum. this will be a stepping stone to So Good and another project is in the works in the 1700 block next to Good CoWorking

wbarch

Postby wbarch » 20 Dec 2022 10:45

Digit 1919 was by Parma for Zad(developer) - not the same architect or developer

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
cyklopz wrote:

To add...

Yeah we all know the architect is ass...
But Digit 1919 wasn't as bad

wbarch

Postby wbarch » 20 Dec 2022 10:47

Mill Creek tower crane base is in.

Now Mill Creek is also looking to build a 16-story rental project on Wood Street in downtown Dallas just blocks from the Farmers Market.

The Modera St. Paul high-rise would be built south of the Statler Hotel on what is now a parking lot. The building site is owned by Dallas’ Hamilton Properties, which has developed multiple downtown residential projects.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... rs-market/[/quote]

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 28 Dec 2022 17:49

Dallas Business Journal interview with a Woodfield partner about their new highrise. This link from DBJ on facebook doesn't hit a paywall for me.
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... 2MHh66DLq8

The south-facing tower is shorter than the north-facing tower. We wanted to have an effect where the towers look like separate towers, but they are one, and I feel like we did that.

If you're driving North on Highway 75, like from Houston or South Dallas, the buildings will have this extraordinary effect as you enter downtown and look at the iconic Dallas skyline.

We wanted to blend the old with the new, but we also wanted to speak into more contemporary architecture. We have a lighter facade, a different color brick, and curtain wall elements that are very new and modern.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Dec 2022 10:34

Like this building, especially like seeing some height in that far corner of downtown.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 10 Jan 2023 16:30

The site in the rendering with the soccer pitch is city-owned land that was originally designated for a park. Several years ago, the land was leased to a group of veterans that were going to grow crops (in a similar vein as Bonton Farms) as therapy. Not sure how that panned out or if the city is planning to build a park (or soccer field) on the site. Can't imagine why they would include it in the rendering if not.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 25 Sep 2023 07:36

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:I don't think the development is an eyesore ...at least in it's current form. Certainly not the worst I've seen..

Forgive me if I missed this news, but was this project abandoned? It looks the same as it did over a year ago.

IMG_9204.jpeg

R1070

Postby R1070 » 25 Sep 2023 08:29

Have the apartments where the NTX Food Bank Headquarters was started yet?

LPG

Postby LPG » 25 Sep 2023 08:52

R1070 wrote:Have the apartments where the NTX Food Bank Headquarters was started yet?

Yes, substantive site work began a few weeks ago.

LPG

Postby LPG » 10 Oct 2023 11:14

LPG wrote:
R1070 wrote:Have the apartments where the NTX Food Bank Headquarters was started yet?

Yes, substantive site work began a few weeks ago.

The tower crane has been erected as of today.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 Oct 2023 15:00

Which one is that?