Uptown Dallas: The Crescent

DPatel304

Uptown Dallas: The Crescent

Postby DPatel304 » 23 Oct 2016 16:12

Crescent to add Farmers Market to its namesake Uptown complex
Crescent will open The Crescent Court Farmers Market on Saturday, Oct. 29 facing Cedar Springs Road. The future markets are slated for the first Saturday of each month beginning on Nov. 5.

"We are excited about this opportunity to provide access to locally sourced produce, foods and handmade items to our Uptown community," said John Zogg, managing director of Crescent Real Estate Equities, in a statement.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... esake.html

I haven't been to the Crescent recently, but it seems like an odd place to have a Farmer's Market. The location itself is some of the best in the city, but the Crescent complex itself just isn't very inviting.

I'd also much rather have just one Farmer's Market in Dallas that services everyone. It's fine for the suburbs to have their own, but we don't need a mini Farmer's market to pop up in all the little neighborhoods of the urban core.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: Uptown Dallas: The Crescent

Postby tamtagon » 23 Oct 2016 16:26

This ought to be the creme de la creme of farmer's markets! If so, I think it'll be an excellent niche addition to a (hopefully) growing collection of markets offering "locally sourced produce, artisanal foods and handcrafted items." The more neighborhood farmer's markets we have, the better the selection will become.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 Oct 2016 14:14

DPatel304 wrote:Crescent to add Farmers Market to its namesake Uptown complex
Crescent will open The Crescent Court Farmers Market on Saturday, Oct. 29 facing Cedar Springs Road. The future markets are slated for the first Saturday of each month beginning on Nov. 5.

"We are excited about this opportunity to provide access to locally sourced produce, foods and handmade items to our Uptown community," said John Zogg, managing director of Crescent Real Estate Equities, in a statement.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... esake.html

I haven't been to the Crescent recently, but it seems like an odd place to have a Farmer's Market. The location itself is some of the best in the city, but the Crescent complex itself just isn't very inviting.

I'd also much rather have just one Farmer's Market in Dallas that services everyone. It's fine for the suburbs to have their own, but we don't need a mini Farmer's market to pop up in all the little neighborhoods of the urban core.

I thoroughly disagree. We need as many smaller markets to secure a market demand for the one in the CBD. This idea that if Dallas bans Farmers Markets all over just to funnel traffic to the Downtown one is a misguided and misunderstanding of demand and customer appropriation. Just because you cancel one in Uptown doesn't mean those customers will go Downtown. The Downtown one has its advantages and is focusing on trying to play those up. While these smaller pop-up ones can only do certain things well and help create an appetite for seasonal and local produce, goods, and products. This is one of those market things where rising tides can help all boats. I do agree though I will be curious about the kind of customer this will attract. The office tenants in this building are not the usual popup shoppers nor are the hotel guests. I guess this is their attempt at community outreach and getting more "locals" seeing their property as a community gathering space.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Oct 2016 14:54

That's a good point. I do think that, for some people in Uptown, it may discourage people that live in Uptown to go to the CBD Farmer's Market. But, you're probably right in that it will attract many new people who wouldn't have otherwise gone in the first place.

It feels like there is, currently, too much segregation in our urban core and this does not help that. Individually, we have a number of reasonably successful neighborhoods, but they all still feel disconnected from one another. A big part of that is that it simply isn't fun to walk from one neighborhood to the other, because most of them aren't well connected, but that has to change at some point and part of changing it is to give people a reason to travel from one to the other, rather than just sticking to their own neighborhood.

Dmkflyer

Postby Dmkflyer » 26 Oct 2016 15:06

DPatel304 wrote:That's a good point. I do think that, for some people in Uptown, it may discourage people that live in Uptown to go to the CBD Farmer's Market. But, you're probably right in that it will attract many new people who wouldn't have otherwise gone in the first place.

It feels like there is, currently, too much segregation in our urban core and this does not help that. Individually, we have a number of reasonably successful neighborhoods, but they all still feel disconnected from one another. A big part of that is that it simply isn't fun to walk from one neighborhood to the other, because most of them aren't well connected, but that has to change at some point and part of changing it is to give people a reason to travel from one to the other, rather than just sticking to their own neighborhood.

Fully agreed. That said, it is happening - just very slowly. In the same way, slowly means they will connect organically over time.

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 06 Nov 2016 19:58

I wonder how they get farmers to show up at these small markets, when the actual Dallas farmers market rarely has any farmers anymore.

DallasMan

Postby DallasMan » 07 Nov 2016 10:55

^That's not my impression of the Farmers Market downtown at all. We go regularly on Saturdays to buy staples, particularly locally raised meats - chicken, lamb, pork. There always seems to be a nice seasonal vegetable selection, including lots of small-time vendors from local farms.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 07 Nov 2016 11:22

More than likely, the products lined up for sale at the Crescent farmers market are already available and/or served in the hotel and similar others. This may simply provide a public retail venue to buy the delicious condiments as such being served with breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 24 Nov 2016 15:27

FYI, the new routing of the D-link bus goes directly between Uptown to/from the CBD Farmer's Market.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 24 Nov 2016 15:34

In mid-November Moxie's restaurant opened in the former Arcodoro & Pomodoro space in the Crescent. It is the first US location for this Canadian chain. This store is partly owned by an executive of the Dallas Stars.

Here is the website.

http://us.moxies.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAvNr ... AgLg8P8HAQ