Little Mexico Village - Can someone explain

petecambell

Little Mexico Village - Can someone explain

Postby petecambell » 06 Feb 2017 18:26

I was hoping someone could explain this property and the regulations around government housing. I was walking around there today and couldn't believe how much land that property in on with arguably the best views around. I couldn't help but think of the rangers stadium being on that land and how great it would look for the city of Dallas.

Anyway what are the chances of this ever being sold and if so what would you like to see put there?

willyk

Re: Little Mexico Village - Can someone explain

Postby willyk » 06 Feb 2017 20:16

No chance of this ever being sold. City politics beat economics.

Boomerreed

Postby Boomerreed » 06 Feb 2017 20:50

It's kind of like the big open field that is the half of the section 8 between Maple & Cedar Springs that was actually knocked down and the other still being occupied. It'd be great to redevelop or become a large open park, but the city just will not let it go or do something with it. The only activity they do is mow the grass and remove any trees blown down by thunderstorms.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 06 Feb 2017 23:35

It's pretty bizarre. There's only a little over 100 units there.. the city could sell the land to a developer with an inclusionary set-aside that would yield way more than 100 total units and provide the city housing authority a cash windfall to improve/build more properties elsewhere. Seems like a win-win.

willyk

Postby willyk » 07 Feb 2017 03:24

Dallas is under scrutiny for putting public housing in undesirable neighborhoods. Little Mexico is in the most desirable neighborhood in town. And practically speaking, thousands of entry level jobs are within walking distance. It's not going anywhere.

If anything, DHA would redevelop this site into a much denser public housing project with a Head Start and community services. I have not heard that suggestred, but it may be part of the solution to the current political flap. The same could happen to Roseland Homes at Ross and 75.

muncien

Postby muncien » 07 Feb 2017 09:22

Is the city actually required to own the land related to affordable public housing? I'd think they just need the units themselves, right? I know I crunched some numbers on this property on another thread and showed how many units (both affordable and not) that you could fit here. I'll also reiterate how much more advantageous it is for these folks to be blended into a wealth diverse neighborhood than simply to be clumped together as they are now.
This is seriously a no-brainer. But, I suppose that also explains why Dallas leadership is unable to manage it.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

dch526

Postby dch526 » 07 Feb 2017 11:25

This is from The Katy thread.

The Authority anticipates submitting mixed-finance proposals for Cedar Springs Place Addition (to be renamed Fairmount Crossing), Brooks Manor (to be renamed Los Encinos) and Little Mexico Village prior to the end of 2017. Approximately 366 mixedincome units will be developed at Fairmount Crossing. The number of units for Los
Encinos and Little Mexico Village has not been determined at this time.

The Authority anticipates submitting a Request for Disposition approval for Little Mexico Village by mid-2017. The proposed disposition via long-term ground lease will facilitate the redevelopment of the site for mixed-income housing

Here's a breakdown of what the disposition entails.

FDIC established the Affordable Housing Disposition Program, or herein referred to as the Affordable Housing Program (AHP), to enhance its ability to sell single family and multifamily properties that will benefit Low Income families.
Under the FDIC’s Affordable Housing Program (AHP) properties were sold to eligible purchasers who make an acceptable offer at or above the property's net realizable market value established by FDIC. In return for purchasing a property at a price below the fair market value, purchasers agree to make units available to Low and Very Low Income households at affordable rents. The rent and income restrictions are designed to assure that, for the next 40 to 50 years, the property serves families in need of affordable housing.

Therefore, it is likely that Little Mexico will be sold within the next year or two.

http://www.dhadal.com/PDF/EXE/DHA%20201 ... 20Plan.pdf

http://www.dhadal.com/Home <-- Click on Announcements and go to the 2017 DHA Plan

http://www.theaffordablehousinggroup.org/overview.htm

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 07 Feb 2017 11:51

They could use a similar model to the Yelser Terrace development in Seattle. The prime spot adjacent to downtown for years only contained older subsidized housing. A streetcar line was added and it's being transformed into a denser mixed-income area with new services and better public access (it will result in more than double the amount of subsidized units intermixed in new buildings).

http://seattlehousing.net/redevelopment/yesler-terrace/

muncien

Postby muncien » 07 Feb 2017 13:18

Thanks dch526... Good info!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 07 Feb 2017 14:58

I really feel like we could do a better job at connect the Katy Trail to Victory Park. There is always a lot of activity on the trail, but, for the most part, it kinda dies down when you hit Victory Park, and, even with all the new construction going on in the area, there still is a weird/dead transition from one to other.

I'd really like to see Little Mexico incorporate some sort of public space where people can gather that connects well to the Katy Trail. Unfortunately, there still is a parking garage and the Magnolia Station lofts, which get in the way of connecting the trail to the plaza, but having more activity at the head of the Katy Trail would help a lot.

muncien

Postby muncien » 07 Feb 2017 15:49

DPatel304 wrote:I really feel like we could do a better job at connect the Katy Trail to Victory Park. There is always a lot of activity on the trail, but, for the most part, it kinda dies down when you hit Victory Park, and, even with all the new construction going on in the area, there still is a weird/dead transition from one to other.

I'd really like to see Little Mexico incorporate some sort of public space where people can gather that connects well to the Katy Trail. Unfortunately, there still is a parking garage and the Magnolia Station lofts, which get in the way of connecting the trail to the plaza, but having more activity at the head of the Katy Trail would help a lot.

I don't know... I think for VP, it's as good as it's going to get in regards to Katy Trail. But a bigger factor in improving KT access would be any potential reconfiguration of Harwood. I know their plans have shown a Katy Trail extension down Harwood previously (not really sure if there's anything to that), but such an extension beyond the area and into the core would be a huge game changer. It has far more potential than any spirally, fancy bridge to Trinity Strand.

petecambell

Postby petecambell » 09 Feb 2017 19:28

Thank you everyone for your replies and the information esp on the proposed action for the site. From my understanding, if they redevelop Little Mexico Village for mixed income housing its not going to be much of an upgrade. It will be A slightly better looking neighborhood in place of what is there, but still low to very low income housing correct?

From reading the proposal, It doesnt seem like this land will ever be sold to a developer to put a nice highrise and continue improve the density. Its a shame with how great that location is and also being connected to Katy Trail.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 09 Feb 2017 23:39

petecambell wrote:Thank you everyone for your replies and the information esp on the proposed action for the site. From my understanding, if they redevelop Little Mexico Village for mixed income housing its not going to be much of an upgrade. It will be A slightly better looking neighborhood in place of what is there, but still low to very low income housing correct?

From reading the proposal, It doesnt seem like this land will ever be sold to a developer to put a nice highrise and continue improve the density. Its a shame with how great that location is and also being connected to Katy Trail.

All the contrary. It's likely that it will get redeveloped into a mixed income Development and more than likely a a high rise tower or two.. maybe three. I would love to see what they do to improve that area.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 10 Feb 2017 00:28

petecambell wrote:From my understanding, if they redevelop Little Mexico Village for mixed income housing its not going to be much of an upgrade. It will be A slightly better looking neighborhood in place of what is there, but still low to very low income housing correct?

Why do you think there wouldn't be much of an upgrade? That type of low-density garden apartment complex has been out of style for a long time. I'm sure it would be redeveloped in more of an urban style and at a lot higher density.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 10 Feb 2017 01:43

I could see this site becoming a new mixed use skyscraper, maybe two, project.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 12 Apr 2017 11:08

You can still create a beautiful park here and redevelop the property without reinventing the wheel. I would start with an expansion of Pike Park with trails that wrap around the existing trees and connect to the Katy Trail. LMV can be rebuilt as a mid-rise with about 300 units while a new market-rate tower fits perfectly on the north side. It would need to be parallel to Harry Hines in order to avoid a canyon effect with The Alexan.

LittleMexicoRedevelopment.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Apr 2017 11:32

^There's gotta be a way for the eventual rebuild of McKinnon/Harry Hines/Dallas North Tollway that allows Reverchon Park a clear path to Little Mexico, Pike Park and Victory Park AND that returns a natural flow to Turtle Creek into and through the Design District.

Dallas12

Postby Dallas12 » 13 Apr 2017 11:08

It would be awesome if there were another public/private effort for the creation of a new park, and they could take all the land from the AAC garage moving north and make that one big park.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 13 Apr 2017 12:16

Dallas12 wrote:It would be awesome if there were another public/private effort for the creation of a new park, and they could take all the land from the AAC garage moving north and make that one big park.

I'd like to take it one step further and see a deck part over I-35 which would connect Victory Park and the Design District. Seeing as the highway isn't below grade here, I doubt this would be feasible, but with Mark Cuban now having a vested interested on both sides, I'm wondering if there are eventual plans to better connect the two neighborhoods.

Dallas12

Postby Dallas12 » 13 Apr 2017 12:27

DPatel304 wrote:
Dallas12 wrote:It would be awesome if there were another public/private effort for the creation of a new park, and they could take all the land from the AAC garage moving north and make that one big park.

I'd like to take it one step further and see a deck part over I-35 which would connect Victory Park and the Design District. Seeing as the highway isn't below grade here, I doubt this would be feasible, but with Mark Cuban now having a vested interested on both sides, I'm wondering if there are eventual plans to better connect the two neighborhoods.

We are both probably talking about two pipe dreams but either or both would be great.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 07 Jan 2020 16:55

Bulldozers claim last of Dallas’ Little Mexico, as the little white house on Harry Hines is demolished
Harwood International bought Charlie Villasana’s properties last spring, and tore them down Tuesday

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/comment ... -vanishes/