Dallas Convention Center

Tivo_Kenevil

Re: Dallas Convention Center

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 15 Jul 2021 16:31

dallaz wrote:
potatocoins wrote:If they go underground (3D), does that mean they can build on top of it?

3C seems reasonable enough. It likely won't be as expensive as 3D and it might help better connect the Cedars to Downtown, and I don't see it as that much of a wall.

That’s what I assumed. I’m not too sure though. The State Capitol has an underground extension. That’s the only thing I can think of that’s probably similar. It doesn’t have any structures on top…only landscaping.

That's a very good question.. honestly if you can't build over it ...what's the point? Although, single sstory street facing retail may be doable..which would be better than nothing.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 15 Jul 2021 16:48

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:That's a very good question.. honestly if you can't build over it ...what's the point? Although, single sstory street facing retail may be doable..which would be better than nothing.

You would think they would have clarified whether they plan to build over it or not in the 'opportunities' section. I just don't know if it is feasible to develop on top if they are planning to go underground.

I suppose some green space would be cool here, but this part of town already seems pretty barren, so I don't know how much the green space would be used.

I'd love to see 3C happen with an effort to connect the upcoming Deck Park to Pioneer Plaza.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 15 Jul 2021 17:12

I know we have been making strides with putting parks downtown, but relative to other great cities the number and sizes of our parks are still paltry. I think with the underground option there is an opportunity to make the grounds of the convention center something special, and not just decorative. If we truly are expecting the Cedars/Smart District/Reunion site to see growth themselves, it might be smart to hold onto this space for recreation.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 15 Jul 2021 18:08

THRILLHO wrote:I know we have been making strides with putting parks downtown, but relative to other great cities the number and sizes of our parks are still paltry. I think with the underground option there is an opportunity to make the grounds of the convention center something special, and not just decorative. If we truly are expecting the Cedars/Smart District/Reunion site to see growth themselves, it might be smart to hold onto this space for recreation.

IDK seems redundant to hold onto the space for recreation if there are already plans to deck i-30.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 17 Jul 2021 13:37

Speaking of arenas torn down, I'd rather have 3D or 3C on our Reunion Arena vacant lot and have mixed-use things between it and the Omni and the Hyatt Regency, with a clear path to it from Union Station platforms. More travelers will be coming to this from the airports than would be coming from the Texas Central Railroad as currently planned.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 05 Oct 2021 07:14

City Council Committee Endorses Financing Plan for New Convention Center

If this plan goes forward, and the $$$ is raised (around $4 *billion* (!!!)), it would mean a teardown and rebuild for the Center. One plan mentioned in the report was for placing the new structure in a north-south setup that would be partially built over I-30.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/finan ... r/2758204/

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Oct 2021 08:51

The briefing Monday said the existing convention center is disconnected from surrounding neighborhoods, is small, outdated and has one-third the number of walkable hotel rooms compared to competitive cities.

When 5 paragraphs up they said its one of the largest in the country. So which is it the largest or too small...

With 1 million square feet of exhibit space, the existing Dallas Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center is one of the nation’s largest.

I just don't have a stomach for the convention business anymore it seems like we are always chasing a rabbit a very very pricey rabbit.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

scott2

Postby scott2 » 05 Oct 2021 09:26

Agree completely. 4 BILLION dollars to rebuild a structure designed for an industry that is dying a slow death ( even pre-pandemic ). This is the last thing Dallas should be using that amount of money for.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Oct 2021 10:08

Basically what I keep hearing is the reason ours is outdated besides the urban planning stuff like walkability is that conventions now want endless break out rooms, ball rooms etc and that large column-less space is not the need as much anymore.

Can we just buy one of the 1980's office buildings that wont convert to residential as a hotel/meeting center with floors of meeting rooms a double volume ball rooms. By Renaissance Tower they have a food court in a walkable area and it has larg-esque floor plates.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 05 Oct 2021 13:26

So... the stated issues of the current center are:

-- Inadequate ballroom and meeting space
-- Disconnected from downtown
-- Disconnected from Cedars.
-- 1/3 of the walkable hotel rooms that it should

So the answer is to build a new center that is further from most of the existing hotels and more disconnected from downtown?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Oct 2021 13:59

Which is why a few of the options attempt to create sites for further hotel development around a reconfigured convention center. How about we just buy the Sheraton buy the East Transfer station from DART build out whoever else is needed across the bus transfer land and there you have the most rooms in short walkability and sell off the land from the old convention center to the next KDC developer with a vision.

eburress

Postby eburress » 05 Oct 2021 15:11

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Basically what I keep hearing is the reason ours is outdated besides the urban planning stuff like walkability is that conventions now want endless break out rooms, ball rooms etc and that large column-less space is not the need as much anymore.

Can we just buy one of the 1980's office buildings that wont convert to residential as a hotel/meeting center with floors of meeting rooms a double volume ball rooms. By Renaissance Tower they have a food court in a walkable area and it has larg-esque floor plates.

That's actually a really good idea, building (or repurposing an existing building) a vertical convention center. It can be as close to stuff as we want to make it, walkability doesn't have to be diminished, no neighborhoods are cut off, and we free up a bunch of real estate for new development. This also doesn't cost $4B.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 05 Oct 2021 15:12

Need a better picture of this plan that goes over I-30. I'm curious but sounds like more of the same.....what we have isn't working for us so lets tear it down and build the same thing in a slightly different location because that surely will work.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 05 Oct 2021 15:15

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Which is why a few of the options attempt to create sites for further hotel development around a reconfigured convention center. How about we just buy the Sheraton buy the East Transfer station from DART build out whoever else is needed across the bus transfer land and there you have the most rooms in short walkability and sell off the land from the old convention center to the next KDC developer with a vision.

Indeed, but it's not as if we lack hotel rooms near the convention center because no one can find a place to build them... Stay tuned for the next step. "We need the City to build a couple thousand more hotel rooms in order to get the full benefit of our new $4 Billion Convention Center."

I like your idea of building the new convention center near the existing hotels (except I can't imagine why the city would need to buy the Sheraton). And of course that would leave us with a 1,001 room white elephant at the current convention center site.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 05 Oct 2021 15:32

Buying the Sheraton out, I imagine, would be for the same reason the public would not want to build a new CC next to the larger existing collection of hotels at Dallas Market Center -- because picking one private sector owner to extract rents for decades from the political jackpot is unwise, compared to a buyout at the current depressed hospitality sector price.

Certainly the Omni's position would dismay some taxpayers, but both it and the nearby Hyatt would also probably enjoy a tailwind from the HSR station complex through whatever neighborhood redevelopment (South Quarter?) was able to use the Reunion Arena and CC sites in the future!

Now the real question is, could Deep Ellum handle the conventioneers or not?

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 05 Oct 2021 15:52

My tamtagonian dream would be to set aside land alongside the Majestic now for large and small public-private-partnerships to create a new vision of Theater Row for several blocks (block-fronts, actually, with convention space behind, above and below in the remainder of the blocks) in the Sheraton Dallas CC activity complex.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Oct 2021 16:21

Tucy wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:Which is why a few of the options attempt to create sites for further hotel development around a reconfigured convention center. How about we just buy the Sheraton buy the East Transfer station from DART build out whoever else is needed across the bus transfer land and there you have the most rooms in short walkability and sell off the land from the old convention center to the next KDC developer with a vision.

Indeed, but it's not as if we lack hotel rooms near the convention center because no one can find a place to build them... Stay tuned for the next step. "We need the City to build a couple thousand more hotel rooms in order to get the full benefit of our new $4 Billion Convention Center."

I like your idea of building the new convention center near the existing hotels (except I can't imagine why the city would need to buy the Sheraton). And of course that would leave us with a 1,001 room white elephant at the current convention center site.

After I made the post yeah I was like why did I say we need buy the hotel. I am sure the Omni would get incorporated into redevelopment for the high speed rail which honestly could buy out the convention Center land for a station a little farther north but they are too far into planning for that.

How about we just build a new convention center floating over the failed golf course in the Trinity so they can all sink together.

LPG

Postby LPG » 05 Oct 2021 17:08

On one of the more recent ‘Loserville’ podcasts, Phil Kingston talks to the proposed redevelopment of the CC. Worth a listen

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 05 Oct 2021 18:14

I want to hear more. I certainly like the idea of more walkability and increased amount of visitors downtown, but there aren't many specifics yet.

I especially want to hear more about how this project would be funded by a trust that is no cost to the Dallas taxpayer. If they can truly fund a reimagining of the convention center and it can pay for itself through future revenue and hotel taxes, then we should give this a look.

We all seem to agree what's there is not working well for anyone and that it is an impediment for the continue development of southern Downtown Dallas.

If it stays in the same general location, I think extending the Oak Cliff Streetcar down Young/Canton from Union Station through Deep Ellum all the way to Fair Park would be a fantastic idea, along with increasing service frequency on the line. It would take an underperforming system, make it useful, and foster growth.

Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts -> Union Station -> Convention Center/Omni/Redevelopment -> City Hall/Smart District/Downtown South -> Farmer's Market -> Deep Ellum -> Future Dallas City Services Redevelopment Site -> Exposition Park -> Fair Park

Rough Sample "Tourism DART Line" Map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

That would connect a lot of "tourist" areas with each other, a lot of hotel rooms, and the convention center, which could provide a positive synergy effect and make staying down there for a convention more pleasant and easy.

Added benefit- this would connect Fair Park with Deep Ellum directly and make it easy to bar hop/eat in Deep Ellum after events at Fair Park.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 05 Oct 2021 21:26

$4,000,000,000?

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 06 Oct 2021 16:36

tamtagon wrote:$4,000,000,000?

Don't worry, it's just the taxpayer's money.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 Oct 2021 08:42

No, its technically taxes applied to tourists who are already visiting the city so in a politicians world it costs nothing to the person who lives here...

LPG

Postby LPG » 07 Oct 2021 09:42

cowboyeagle05 wrote:No, its technically taxes applied to tourists who are already visiting the city so in a politicians world it costs nothing to the person who lives here...

Ehh, not really.

The bond issuance will be ‘backed’ by lofty projections of hotel taxes that will never come to fruition; however, the city will have to guarantee the bonds. No one will underwrite the bonds with BS hotel tax projections and no guarantor. Then, when the hotel tax falls well short, the city is on the hook for the difference. This will almost entirely fall on residents of Dallas.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 Oct 2021 09:45

Shhh that's not in the article so no one will notice...

R1070

Postby R1070 » 07 Oct 2021 12:14

There needs to be more hotels in closer proximity to the convention center as well.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 07 Oct 2021 13:12

I think it would be pretty easy to bring in your local village idiot to burn down the convention center for a couple thousand bucks. Of course we would have provide the fuel flame throwers...

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 Oct 2021 13:40

And tax payers would still have to pay for its clean-up of the site so beyond the guilty pleasure some may get out of seeing it go away fire probably wouldn't be that much fun or cheaper. Lol

Of course I would wonder what would happen to the old auditorium and theater at the far east end. Would they finally get separated and reinvigorated or would they end up going away entirely. I fall back and fourth if the old auditorium truly has some really potential or not. Historically I want to keep it but if it wouldn't book events and/or have a regular user I am not sure I would support its continued existence.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 07 Oct 2021 14:23

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Of course I would wonder what would happen to the old auditorium and theater at the far east end. Would they finally get separated and reinvigorated or would they end up going away entirely. I fall back and fourth if the old auditorium truly has some really potential or not. Historically I want to keep it but if it wouldn't book events and/or have a regular user I am not sure I would support its continued existence.

I'm 100% for keeping it, but if we can't justify it as an event space then gut it and turn it into literally anything useful. I'm game for completely redoing the interior, but at least keep the structure.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 14 Oct 2021 13:18

The city has approved funding of the convention center project, but the existing-vs.-new-build question has not been decided yet.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/dalla ... l/2766286/

Addison

Postby Addison » 14 Oct 2021 13:41

itsjrd1964 wrote:The city has approved funding of the convention center project, but the existing-vs.-new-build question has not been decided yet.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/dalla ... l/2766286/

IMO, if the funding's there, just build new.

It's a nearly 50 year old facility and it will give them a blank slate to not only address current needs, but plan for future needs. Plus, based on what I've observed in cities such as Nashville and Indianapolis, organizations *LOVE* that new car smell when considering cities for conventions.

Lastly, borrowing costs aren't going to stay as cheap as they are now.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Oct 2021 13:47

Will there be any potential new members on the council by the time they vote on the actual plan? Will the deck shift by the time the bigger questions get voted on?

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 14 Oct 2021 14:10

Build the new one over I-30 and deck park next to the new High Speed rail station.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 09 Dec 2021 00:10

Consultants' convention center report presented.

https://www.facebook.com/172530812092/p ... 128982093/

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 17 Dec 2021 11:51

OMG. They've found the compliant consultants they needed and they are going to sleep-walk right into this aren't they? In future years, watch for publicly-funded/subsidized development of hotels, restaurants and entertainment venues on land adjacent to the new convention center because we need more hotels and amenities close to the convention center in order to be competitive.

As I mentioned above, by their own account, rhw issues of the current center are:

-- Inadequate ballroom and meeting space
-- Disconnected from downtown
-- Disconnected from Cedars.
-- 1/3 of the walkable hotel rooms that it should

So the answer they come up with is to build a new center that is further from most of the existing hotels/will have an even lower fraction of needed walkable hotel rooms, is more disconnected from downtown and about as disconnected from the Cedars? Good grief.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 Dec 2021 13:26

I get your point but honestly what you are suggesting is they move the Convention Center all together to lets say close to the Sheraton. Buy land build something new to fill the meeting space gap etc. Maybe incentivize more ground level entertainment/restaurants in a already more walkable area. How is that any different than the consultant saying hey rebuild it where its at but just do it in a way that is more conducive to new growth around the convention center and the Cedars?

Like I totally get your point about the site being a big part of the problem but rebuilding it entirely in another area is only sidestepping the problem as well. It could be just as pricey with new land acquisition, new hotel incentives, retail development incentives plus tearing down the old one.

I think your point is really do we keep chasing conventions on a city level or not. If not tear it down and sell off the land. If Yes then rebuilding the center on land the city already owns is the cheaper option than trying to shoe horn another CC in another area with existing hotels. Considering we already have a Omni Hotel and a high speed rail station coming nearby it makes some sense to tear down the CC as it is and rebuild to what we need now, not what conventions used to be and sell off the excess land to more surrounding development opportunities.

The cheapest option will always be to shut down the CC or make gambling legal and sell the thing to a casino.

Butch Cassidy

Postby Butch Cassidy » 18 Dec 2021 13:38

THRILLHO wrote:
mhainli wrote:Why is “preserving the arena” important? How often is it utilized? Seems like that location would be good for ancillary development..

I'm interested in preserving it for historical purposes. It's outlived being practical for its original use, but we can come up with something better than destroying yet another historical structure in a city notorious for that. We've done enough of that.

You are absolutely right about this.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 20 Dec 2021 09:38

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I get your point but honestly what you are suggesting is they move the Convention Center all together to lets say close to the Sheraton. Buy land build something new to fill the meeting space gap etc. Maybe incentivize more ground level entertainment/restaurants in a already more walkable area. How is that any different than the consultant saying hey rebuild it where its at but just do it in a way that is more conducive to new growth around the convention center and the Cedars?

Like I totally get your point about the site being a big part of the problem but rebuilding it entirely in another area is only sidestepping the problem as well. It could be just as pricey with new land acquisition, new hotel incentives, retail development incentives plus tearing down the old one.

I think your point is really do we keep chasing conventions on a city level or not. If not tear it down and sell off the land. If Yes then rebuilding the center on land the city already owns is the cheaper option than trying to shoe horn another CC in another area with existing hotels. Considering we already have a Omni Hotel and a high speed rail station coming nearby it makes some sense to tear down the CC as it is and rebuild to what we need now, not what conventions used to be and sell off the excess land to more surrounding development opportunities.

The cheapest option will always be to shut down the CC or make gambling legal and sell the thing to a casino.

No, I am not suggesting they move the convention center all together to somewhere else. Not even close. I am suggesting that whatever they do, they at least honestly attempt to address the stated issues, rather than exacerbate those issues. I guess we are expected to accept at face value that a new convention center will "spark more development downtown and bring in billions in spending and new property taxes from the area..." Does anyone actually believe that? Weren't we pretty much told the same thing to justify the Omni Hotel (not to mention that the Omni would solve all of the convention center's issues and make it once-again competitive...).

Note the additional dishonesty used to justify this nonsense. "Per the report, the city staff also mentioned the . . . convention center, constructed in 1957, lacks the modern updates that could give the city access to lucrative events". "Constructed in 1957"?!?!?!? One very small end of it was built in 1957! The Center was actually built in 1957, 1973, 1984, 1994 and 2002. Of all those dates, 1957 is probably the least relevant (and most dishonest).

If we are going to spend any more money on this, I think a phased remodel and, if necessary, addition to the current facility would be the way to go.

If they go with their current plan (and given the Dallas City Council's history, it's hard to see them NOT going this route), it's only a matter of time before you'll hear pleas for another tax-subsidized hotel and/or restaurant/retail complex in order for the new convention center to be fully marketable ... not enough walkable hotel rooms, neighborhood amenities, yadda yadda yadda. We all know the drill.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Dec 2021 10:00

^correct and I do believe the argument for the recommendation to rebuild on the same site is preloaded with misunderstandings and half truths and I am also not surprised they found a consultant willing to tell them what they wanted to hear. I am just not willing to justify spending any money besides tear down and move on completely. So in this case I agree with you more than I disagree.

I will repeat what I said though above and suggest selling part of it off to a Casino which the state should be make gambling legal anyways and so we can all move on. The arena can become a new casinos music entertainment venue, the Omni one of two hotels feeding off the multiuse redevelopment of the convention center into a gambling, entertainment resort hub. Tear down the parts they don't need, build out a pool resort and self contained shopping destination and we will finally have a tourist friendly draw that adds value to Downtown.

willyk

Postby willyk » 21 Dec 2021 02:56

My solution: Connect the DCC to EMC by building the new addition north along Griffin Street up to Commerce St. The land to be acquired is already 70% vacant.

Pay for it all by tearing down everything in the DCC that is west of Griffin and selling off that land to developers. Require that the new construction include some affordable housing. (The City could still retain the arena if useful.)

Bonus benefit: Take the McDonalds by eminent domain in order to make the connection to Commerce St.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 21 Dec 2021 08:35

So the plan is to build the new DCC from the heliport over I-30 correct? If so how does this affect the I-30 re-do?

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 23 Dec 2021 09:52

willyk wrote:My solution: Connect the DCC to EMC by building the new addition north along Griffin Street up to Commerce St. The land to be acquired is already 70% vacant.

Pay for it all by tearing down everything in the DCC that is west of Griffin and selling off that land to developers. Require that the new construction include some affordable housing. (The City could still retain the arena if useful.)

Bonus benefit: Take the McDonalds by eminent domain in order to make the connection to Commerce St.

I wonder if any of these new location options were considered? With $ amounts mentioned the sky is almost the limit on what can be done. How about building a new location DCC between Field and Griffin from Young St to Jackson or Commerce? Closer to more hotels and AT&T Discovery District and still a short walk to the Omni Hotel. Going vertical in a better location vs creating sprawling complex in an inferior location that depends on new development over more time with more tax incentives, etc. Moreover, the existing DCC could be kept in operation completely until the new DCC is built. A tear down of the old with sell off of the land afterward would help pay. A new transit oriented development area adjacent to the current DART and future HSR rail station would be completely opened up, unencumbered by a new DCC, not to mention years of construction to get there..

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Dec 2021 09:21

Also keep in mind Mark Cuban wants to vacate the AA Center for a new arena and is signaling to the city very publicly that he will play the same old games to get what he wants which is a arena paid for by the city surrounded with parking lots that wont be built on. Apparently the fan experience is hampered by forcing his fan base to park in garages and walk past restaurants/bars and apartments on the way to the games. Lets just promise to tear down the current DCC build him a new arena in that area and replace the AA with new convention space in a walkable and clean area that lets face it still needs a kick in the pants. There is still room if you include the two ADA parking lots and the two plaza buildings as part of the overall site for new convention space. Work with Hillwood on encouraging the last parking lots to be developed with additional hotels like the former Mandarin garage should be too. Then you now have the convention center in a brand new walkable and safe area and Mark Cuban can have his arena surrounded by parking lots just like he wants just south of Downtown with a large hotel feeding off game and event business at the Arena.

willyk

Postby willyk » 28 Dec 2021 05:50

Or sell the DCC site to Matthews Southwest to add to his HSR Development and use the money to buy land for a new DCC near Field and Ross.

This discussion makes clear that we have many ways to kill two birds with one stone. All of these are superior to what the City’s consultants have proposed.

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 28 Dec 2021 20:13

I have no idea if my proposed location is superior to the final alternatives. I just didn’t see where these new locations were analyzed at all. I can see that leaving the Omni as an orphan would be a negative, but the Reunion Arena site and Lot E were initially looked at. Both on city property but further away from the Omni than from the Field/Young/Griffin/Commerce site discussed above. Just be nice to see how much weight was put on various factors like being able to keep current DCC open, distance from Omni, etc.

I actually applaud this study and was very surprised that the city was willing to analyze total rebuild options and take such a big picture comprehensive look at the various plans and impacts. This type of study should have been done long before the Omni was considered.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 21 Jan 2022 06:10

New Convention Center.jpg
Shiny and new!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Jan 2022 08:32

Another mindless concept rendering.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 21 Jan 2022 09:38

tamtagon wrote:New Convention Center.jpgShiny and new!

I like this rendering but where did it come from? As much as I would love to see Dallas build something this modern i don't see it happening. But the location and placement over the freeway along with the park is great.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 24 Jan 2022 13:43

Would be nice if we had what was in the picture. Lots of trees and development I mean the CC is ok. The rendering looks like a SimCity 4 screen shot.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 25 Jan 2022 06:24

Tnexster wrote:
tamtagon wrote:New Convention Center.jpgShiny and new!

I like this rendering but where did it come from? As much as I would love to see Dallas build something this modern i don't see it happening. But the location and placement over the freeway along with the park is great.

It was posted to the DFWU facebook page.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 03 Feb 2022 14:53

Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Dallas
(KBHCCD) Master Plan Alternative
Recommendation
and Requirements Pursuant to
Texas Local Government Code Chapter 334

https://mcusercontent.com/28714f1c5787e ... ouncil.pdf