Downtown Dallas: Statler Hotel & Residences + Future DMN Offices (Old Statler Hilton + Old Library)

cowboyeagle05

Re: Downtown Dallas: Statler Hotel & Residences + Future DMN Offices (Old Statler Hilton + Old Library)

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 31 May 2018 11:55

Yeah, the building I work in uses metal piping for all the sprinkler systems and the reason I know is I have assisted the servicing of them when pressure sensors go off randomly. I assume PVC is just the cheaper solution and not as likely recomended by the industry but when choosing the cheaper bid for work these things can happen and this is what can happen.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Arch-Image

Re: Downtown Dallas: Statler Hotel & Residences + Future DMN Offices (Old Statler Hilton + Old Library)

Postby Arch-Image » 31 May 2018 17:55

Love to know who the Sprinkler contractor was. I tend to agree, no one hardly uses Blackiron pipe anymore as it is so costly as compared to using CPVC (everyone is calling it PVC but it isnt). As well the articles all keep talking about "Caulk". I'm not sure what they mean, are they talking about the joint sealant used to connect the pipes, or possibly the fire-caulk where the pipe penetrates walls. I don't know but as a builder, your sprinkler system coming apart is about the worst thing can happen to a building!

jsoto3

Postby jsoto3 » 31 May 2018 23:24

There are multiple causes of pvc/cpvc piping failures, mostly a result of installation, operational, engineering and/or product compatibility issues. I suspect in this case the "caulk" they are referring to is the wall penetration fire-stopping sealant. Improper application of the pipe/fitting bonding cement is also a possibility. There are some building products that have nothing to do with the sprinkler system itself that are potentially incompatible with pvc/cpvc piping, and when they come into contact they can degrade the material. It is for this reason that the GC on one of my projects will not permit cpvc piping to be used for fire sprinkler systems on their projects as a matter of company policy, even if the owner wants it, due to the potential for issues and the associated liability. I wouldn't be surprised if other GC's take a similar stance.

Detailed info or anyone interested:
http://www.californiasprinklerfitters.o ... asFail.pdf
https://cedia.net/insights/cedia-blog-d ... g-problems

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 10 Jun 2018 14:52

Fine China signage will look good at night. I'm happy they're adding trees too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 14 Jun 2018 10:28

maconahey wrote:Still just a giant hole in the ground

Any updates on this one?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Jun 2018 10:30

It's moving you just have to tip your head over and see them still working.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 16 Jun 2018 16:38

That is very deep, much more than I was expecting. And....another crane added to downtown.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 03 Jul 2018 12:58

Looks like Ramen & Bao is almost ready to open.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 03 Jul 2018 13:04

Love what they've done with that building. Beautiful architecture and design.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 03 Jul 2018 13:08

Progress shot of the mixed-use parking next door.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Jul 2018 17:06

That is a seriously deep garage. Glad that went down and not up.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 04 Jul 2018 08:02

I really wish developers would build parking garages below ground instead of above as they have finally done with this project. Nothing looks worse than a tower sitting on a parking garage podium. We have enough of that garbage...

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 04 Jul 2018 08:09

joshua.dodd wrote:I really wish developers would build parking garages below ground instead of above as they have finally done with this project. Nothing looks worse than a tower sitting on a parking garage podium. We have enough of that garbage...

Absolutely agree. If only it didn't cost 10x as much to dig down.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 04 Jul 2018 13:59

I'd rather developers build above ground parking garages that are aesthetically pleasing and can be later converted into other uses such as residential.

Warrior2015

Postby Warrior2015 » 04 Jul 2018 14:53

DPatel304 wrote:I'd rather developers build above ground parking garages that are aesthetically pleasing and can be later converted into other uses such as residential.

Yeah San Francisco does that well. They have nice parking garages that are covered up with art and or nice architecture and with lots of ground floor retail etc

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 04 Jul 2018 15:44

I'm not sure why all cities aren't embracing this. It's cheaper and quicker than going underground and a decade or so from now when there is less demand for parking due to autonomous cars, we'll have extra space that can be converted into additional residential. Unless I'm missing something, I see no benefit to going underground knowing autonomous cars are the inevitable future.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 04 Jul 2018 17:36

Autonomous cars have to be parked somewhere. Sharing the autonomous cars certainly shows promise to reduce the number of vehicles per person are used, but the same used to be said about car pooling. On Demand Trip Taking, that's the behavior we seem to love and the behavior that will be serviced by fleet upon fleet upon fleet of autonomous cars.... parked in above ground and below ground parking garages.

mcrdal15

Postby mcrdal15 » 05 Jul 2018 16:03

tamtagon wrote:Autonomous cars have to be parked somewhere. Sharing the autonomous cars certainly shows promise to reduce the number of vehicles per person are used, but the same used to be said about car pooling. On Demand Trip Taking, that's the behavior we seem to love and the behavior that will be serviced by fleet upon fleet upon fleet of autonomous cars.... parked in above ground and below ground parking garages.

We really shouldn't be counting on autonomous cars as the solution to all of our urban planning woes. The biggest urban planning mistake we ever made was designing our cities and towns around 1 form of technology and transportation system -- the car. Let's not repeat those same mistakes again. Multi-nodal transportation is the future and while autonomous cars are part of it, we shouldn't be ignoring the other options.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Jul 2018 08:40

^We shouldn't but Dallas city planning policy changes tend to be made based on development industry pressure and pressure has not been in the urban walkable areas as high as it is for more parking! If automated cars do eventually apply the right pressure we might see city funds used to do something with some of these garages if automated cars do cause the shift so many are hoping for.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 06 Jul 2018 09:37

Developers in Dallas should expect to contribute to a parks & recreation fund just like many other cities, and part of that contribution needs to rebuild the pedestrian environment. People still have to walk from their vehicle to the final destination.

The popularity of autonomous cars in the future will most likely have a symbiotic relationship to the pedestrian environment. Miles of parallel parking 'lanes' might need conversion for autonomous vehicle drop off, and these folks will need much better sidewalks.

I encourage the shuttle vehicles to become an important and premium priced component of public transportation, along with a variety of guided mass transit vehicles (buses, shuttles, streetcars, LRT whatever) but none of it will flourish without a great pedestrian environment.

mcrdal15

Postby mcrdal15 » 06 Jul 2018 11:03

cowboyeagle05 wrote:^We shouldn't but Dallas city planning policy changes tend to be made based on development industry pressure and pressure has not been in the urban walkable areas as high as it is for more parking! If automated cars do eventually apply the right pressure we might see city funds used to do something with some of these garages if automated cars do cause the shift so many are hoping for.

This is a prime example of the corporate state dictating what happens in the public sphere. We need to move forward and get away from the mentality that "we work for the economy" rather than the "economy works for us." Eventually we're going to hit a major resource crunch. The current model of "endless growth in a finite world" is unsustainable. We need to bite the bullet and begin redesigning our communities around sustainability and create a new economy that fits within that mold. I fully understand the uphill battle this is going to be and in Dallas, it's incredibly difficult to plan for the basics of urbanity. If Dallas doesn't adapt, then it will be left behind.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Aug 2018 10:38

https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/cheeseburger-bao-shines-at-the-statlers-randb-10996136

R&B's Cheeseburger Bao Is Fusion Food At Its Best

...Today, in the calm and empty Statler restaurant, R&B's daytime cook wraps an apron around her black shirt. The only sounds are Al Green’s “Love and Happiness” and the hiss of the griddle that follows an order of the Cheesebao-ger...

...Chef Angela Hernandez, who pilots the R&B kitchen at the Statler (alongside the recently-opened Fine China), doesn’t care about the definition of the word in this case...

The reason I posted this one because it seemed important since there has been no discussion on R&B compared with Fine China and the other places that have opened in the Statler.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Aug 2018 10:54

I popped in to the Statler on Saturday and actually wasn't able to find R&B. I didn't spend too much time looking for it though, but this is definitely a place that's on my list of places to try out.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 09 Aug 2018 11:46

DPatel304 wrote:I popped in to the Statler on Saturday and actually wasn't able to find R&B. I didn't spend too much time looking for it though, but this is definitely a place that's on my list of places to try out.

The entrance is on the outside to the left of Fine China. I've been meaning to check it out too.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 09 Aug 2018 16:37

The Statler has been a success. The painful development process has been worth it.

willyk

Postby willyk » 09 Aug 2018 22:54

^^^They have done a great job of engaging the neighborhood and bringing street life to this end of EMC.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 17 Aug 2018 05:21

Have they delivered the 24 hour diner that was promised?

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 17 Aug 2018 17:43

R&B is much cheaper than Fine China or the other dining options there. Great people watching spot, gets really eclectic late at night.

Does anyone know why the Statler is no longe lit up in blue? Is it because the blue lighting scheme can become annoying for people who live in the Statler?

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 17 Aug 2018 19:32

ArtVandelay wrote:Have they delivered the 24 hour diner that was promised?

Did they really promise a 24 hour diner? (The answer to your question is no, at least according to their website.)

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 17 Aug 2018 20:53

I don't remember hearing about a 24 hour diner, but R&B seems to be the closest thing to fit that description.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 18 Aug 2018 00:01

There were early reports of a 24-hour place that would be part of the offerings. IIRR, Overeasy was what resulted from that, although nothing was said from them about trying to be (or wanting to be) 24-hour. That was disappointing, but surely some place will go the 24-hour route in DTD eventually. Not everyone works or eats during 'bankers hours'.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 18 Aug 2018 15:27

Tucy wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:Have they delivered the 24 hour diner that was promised?

Did they really promise a 24 hour diner? (The answer to your question is no, at least according to their website.)

One of many articles mentioning the planned ground floor 24-hour diner:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -50s-flair

Maybe promised is not the right word but back in 2015, the concept was promoted. This sticks out in my mind because downtown could use a 24 hour diner.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 18 Aug 2018 15:28

I'd imagine it wouldn't be hard to make Overeasy 24 hours, correct?

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 21 Nov 2018 14:45

Finally coming out of that giant hole they dug for parking

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Nov 2018 16:27

The good thing is this creeps new development further East in the CBD. I still remember walking down Main Street fresh out of High School while I was attending El Centro. There was still a parking lot next to the Davis building. City Tavern was there I believe right where they recently moved out of on Main Street. Pegasus Plaza was the only modern park/plaza in many miles of Downtown. Buildings that would eventually become the Joule hotel had banners announcing businesses that never materialized. I used to walk all the way from El Centro to this end and turn around just after getting to University Center. Statler was always a curiosity for me even though at that time I didn't know a lot about it. Now there will more residents on the side of Downtown.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 27 Nov 2018 09:28

maconahey wrote:Finally coming out of that giant hole they dug for parking

What's the garage supposed to look like?

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 27 Nov 2018 10:36

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:

I believe the final approved design is the one that took a slightly more mid-century look:

All parking will be underground BTW.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Nov 2018 10:43

That's a nice look, hope it comes out looking that good. Great to see something new coming out of the ground in that part of downtown.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 27 Nov 2018 10:48

lakewoodhobo wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:

I believe the final approved design is the one that took a slightly more mid-century look:

All parking will be underground BTW.

Thanks. I forget about this little project. Looks a little mid century,not bad. Good infill

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 28 Nov 2018 07:31

Was there ever an update from the developer on whether units are going to be for rent or for sale?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Nov 2018 11:05

I have no evidence to base this on other than my own experience but I doubt they will be for sale.

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 21 Feb 2019 12:12

Update on what these units will be? Are they going to be apartments or condos? Downtown lacks new affordable condos.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 21 Feb 2019 12:17

dd_dweller wrote:Update on what these units will be? Are they going to be apartments or condos? Downtown lacks new affordable condos.

They'll probably all be listed on Stay Alfred. https://www.stayalfred.com/search?searc ... umGuests=1

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 23 Feb 2019 11:00

Just took a stroll by the building going up on Jackson St. and there’s definitely parking above ground - huge ramp going from ground level up. Did they pull a bait and switch and just throwing up a garage??

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 23 Feb 2019 11:05

ArtVandelay wrote:Just took a stroll by the building going up on Jackson St. and there’s definitely parking above ground - huge ramp going from ground level up. Did they pull a bait and switch and just throwing up a garage??

Ok I found an article online that says there is residential parking on the second level and the units start on level 3. Whew.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 26 Apr 2019 16:33

I'm guessing they're going to put up stick construction on top of this?