Downtown Dallas: Statler Hotel & Residences + Future DMN Offices (Old Statler Hilton + Old Library)

soco

Re: Downtown Dallas: Statler Hotel & Residences + Future DMN Offices (Old Statler Hilton + Old Library)

Postby soco » 05 Dec 2022 15:18

Have we heard of a start date for the planned building next to the Statler and DMN? It looks like the base for a tower crane has been put in place.

Tower Crane Base.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tivo_Kenevil

Re: Downtown Dallas: Statler Hotel & Residences + Future DMN Offices (Old Statler Hilton + Old Library)

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 08 Dec 2022 23:19

Wow this is cool. This area was becoming an eye sore with the concrete and exposed rebar.

willyk

Postby willyk » 22 Jan 2023 06:59

Tower crane was going up on Saturday. Given Centurion’s head start, I imagine that this project and Mill Creek’s project on St. Paul St. may complete around the same time. The new park should be in full swing by then, so maybe they will get some good retail tenants too.

Does anyone know what was the final height on this project?

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 22 Jan 2023 15:11

And does anyone know how they resolved the dispute over their proposed enlargement of the project?

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 23 Jan 2023 12:17

Tucy wrote:And does anyone know how they resolved the dispute over their proposed enlargement of the project?

I think the task force and landmark commission shot down the latest proposal back in October.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 23 Jan 2023 15:06

That empty lot full of trash next to the 7 Eleven looks way better than the proposal they suggested (sarcasm).

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 23 Jan 2023 21:27

R1070 wrote:That empty lot full of trash next to the 7 Eleven looks way better than the proposal they suggested (sarcasm).

Sadly, there is a huge homeless issue in this area and I wonder if the local soup kitchen will be moved as these new residences are being rented. I doubt if new tenants will want to be threatened as they park their cars and go to their apartments or walk their dogs or exercise in the area. The city will have to do a better job in policing this area of Downtown.

scott2

Postby scott2 » 23 Jan 2023 22:09

Sadly, there is a huge homeless issue in this area and I wonder if the local soup kitchen will be moved as these new residences are being rented. I doubt if new tenants will want to be threatened as they park their cars and go to their apartments or walk their dogs or exercise in the area. The city will have to do a better job in policing this area of Downtown.[/quote]

Here's a radical thought.......the city could provide adequate housing and rehabilitation opportunities in a different but safe location.

DFW

Postby DFW » 24 Jan 2023 07:20

Reason why there is a homeless problem mainly halfway south of Downtown is because of these locations. Just behind of the Statler you got the Stewpot on Young Street for the homeless and at Corsicana Street east of St. Paul is this place The Bridge Homeless Recovery Center and another location just a little further southeast of there called The Cottages at Hickory Crossing are helping with the homeless problem. But it seems that these places are always overwhelmed with the homeless.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 24 Jan 2023 09:46

I know for a fact the stewpot is not planning on moving anytime soon.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 24 Jan 2023 14:10

MC_ScattCat wrote:I know for a fact the stewpot is not planning on moving anytime soon.

The problem cannot be swept away. At night, the streets are mostly abandoned and a lot of violence occurs. It's just a fact that people do not want to live in an area surrounded by that kind of environment. This is the ugly side of urban living.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 24 Jan 2023 14:37

Maybe it'll keep rents low.

Pinhi

Postby Pinhi » 25 Jan 2023 07:10

rono3849 wrote:
MC_ScattCat wrote:I know for a fact the stewpot is not planning on moving anytime soon.

The problem cannot be swept away. At night, the streets are mostly abandoned and a lot of violence occurs. It's just a fact that people do not want to live in an area surrounded by that kind of environment. This is the ugly side of urban living.

I damn sure wouldn't live there. Too dangerous. In fact I wouldn't live anywhere near downtown. Why would you?

DBadger

Postby DBadger » 25 Jan 2023 09:57

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... as-closed/

A downtown Dallas 7-Eleven that averaged one police call a day has closed
Potential customers avoided the location, even though it was the only convenience store in an area with enough pedestrian traffic to support such a business.
A 7-Eleven in downtown Dallas that became a hangout for the homeless and a constant nuisance for police has closed.

The sidewalk in front of the convenience store at 2008 Commerce Street was constantly littered with trash and impassable many times of the day as homeless people congregated outside the store. Potential customers avoided the location even though it was the only convenience store in an area with enough pedestrian traffic to support such a business.
Located on the southeast corner of Commerce and Harwood Streets, it’s surrounded by apartments and hotels, the University of North Texas satellite campus on Main Street and UNT College of Law and the Dallas Municipal Court.
In the last three months, the 7-Eleven had 98 calls to 911 – an average of one per day, according to the Dallas Police Department.

Those calls resulted in officers writing 11 reports, mostly related to incidents involving people with warrants who were then arrested, said Juan Fernandez, DPD public information officer. Calls often followed disturbances between homeless people that dissipated once the police arrived.

“But all those calls cost the city money,” Fernandez said.

7-Eleven and its landlord haven’t replied to The Dallas Morning News’ requests for comment.

DBadger

Postby DBadger » 25 Jan 2023 10:06

7_11.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 25 Jan 2023 10:22

DBadger wrote:https://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2023/01/25/a-downtown-dallas-7-eleven-that-averaged-one-police-call-a-day-has-closed/

A downtown Dallas 7-Eleven that averaged one police call a day has closed
Potential customers avoided the location, even though it was the only convenience store in an area with enough pedestrian traffic to support such a business.
A 7-Eleven in downtown Dallas that became a hangout for the homeless and a constant nuisance for police has closed.

The sidewalk in front of the convenience store at 2008 Commerce Street was constantly littered with trash and impassable many times of the day as homeless people congregated outside the store. Potential customers avoided the location even though it was the only convenience store in an area with enough pedestrian traffic to support such a business.
Located on the southeast corner of Commerce and Harwood Streets, it’s surrounded by apartments and hotels, the University of North Texas satellite campus on Main Street and UNT College of Law and the Dallas Municipal Court.
In the last three months, the 7-Eleven had 98 calls to 911 – an average of one per day, according to the Dallas Police Department.

Those calls resulted in officers writing 11 reports, mostly related to incidents involving people with warrants who were then arrested, said Juan Fernandez, DPD public information officer. Calls often followed disturbances between homeless people that dissipated once the police arrived.

“But all those calls cost the city money,” Fernandez said.

7-Eleven and its landlord haven’t replied to The Dallas Morning News’ requests for comment.

Wow! That was timely...

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 25 Jan 2023 16:45

Amazing to see this 7-11 close the day after we discussed the problems on this corner due to criminal activity. The East Quarter does back up to some pretty tough neighborhoods, but I'm sure they have a beefed up security staff to protect residences. Frankly, the entire block of the South side of Commerce Street should be gutted to discourage the homeless and their criminal behavior. With North Texas Law School opening, perhaps the building can be converted to a more productive development for the area.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 25 Jan 2023 17:02

I don't know a downtown of a major North American city where homelessness isn't an issue. I've never felt unsafe at anytime downtown.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Jan 2023 17:13

Dallas feels safe to me. But I will say Dallas has to do better enforcing loitering. Especially near the Library. Why would they just allow the homeless to congregate there. How does that promote usage of the library to begin with? Insane.

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 27 Jan 2023 13:32

^ I've noticed this phenomenon in practically every large city I've ever visited. Homeless folks love to congregate around the Main Public Library. Must be the free internet.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 27 Jan 2023 13:46

^ It's one of few buildings that provide public access to restrooms.

Urbancowboy

Postby Urbancowboy » 31 Jan 2023 01:47

I have been to downtown Dallas several times..day and night...and I never felt unsafe by the homeless. Guess what? Every major city has a homeless issue. Get a grip people....

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 31 Jan 2023 12:45

^ I'm guessing you've never been sucker punched and knocked unconscious when you've made the mistake of being home when one of these poor folks went through your condo building breaking down doors.

eburress

Postby eburress » 31 Jan 2023 12:48

If people don't feel safe, they don't feel safe - it's not for anyone to decide how someone else should feel. Objectively speaking, this 7-11 was receiving the police calls it was receiving. Just because it's not as bad as what goes on in say San Francisco doesn't mean it's not bad.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 25 Nov 2023 17:54

soco wrote:Have we heard of a start date for the planned building next to the Statler and DMN? It looks like the base for a tower crane has been put in place.

Tower Crane Base.jpg

One year after this post...
IMG_4308b.JPG

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 04 Jan 2024 20:34

The crane tower that won't leave the backdrop of every photo in that part of town for over a year. Without even moving.
It's part of the new Harwood Park isn't it? : ) Surprise!

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 04 Jan 2024 20:45

CTroyMathis wrote:The crane tower that won't leave the backdrop of every photo in that part of town for over a year. Without even moving.
It's part of the new Harwood Park isn't it? : ) Surprise!

Centuries American Development Group doesn't have it listed in their coming soon. Just a bunch suburban SFH projects. Idk if they even are serious about this site or what? ... To just let sit like this.... They must be OK with not completing a project.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 04 Jan 2024 20:48

The crane must be free. How much to start a bungee jump operation from it? Haha.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 04 Jan 2024 22:44

Won it at poker, have to lose it back

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 04 Jan 2024 22:45

Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street?

LPG

Postby LPG » 05 Jan 2024 07:54

There have been a few people milling around over the last year on a handful of occasions, but over the last couple of days there have been probably a dozen folks onsite. Rebar was being loaded onto the roof via a telehandler yesterday. Not confident it is going to start in the near future but more optimistic than I have been.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 05 Jan 2024 08:31

I just don't get it. This is such a great location now, I assume they were waiting for the park to finish.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 05 Jan 2024 08:52

R1070 wrote:I just don't get it. This is such a great location now, I assume they were waiting for the park to finish.

Maybe they are making adjustments to the plan, could they potentially make it taller? I don't know how much stick you can pile on these podiums.

LPG

Postby LPG » 19 Jan 2024 10:30

There has been a ton of work on the roof of the existing parking structure. I would be shocked if this project is not in the full swings of things by February.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 19 Jan 2024 10:52

I had a feeling they were waiting for the park to finish before getting started.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 17 Mar 2024 14:07

Drove by here in rain on Friday, noticed progress. Looked like they built out the stairwell boxes on both ends of the building up to about six stories. Anybody else notice that?

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 17 Mar 2024 18:34

Indeed, they have come back around on this the last couple o'weeks finally.

The crane has even moved! haha.