Downtown Dallas: Statler Hotel & Residences + Future DMN Offices (Old Statler Hilton + Old Library)

dukemeredith

Re: Downtown Dallas: Statler Hotel & Residences + Future DMN Offices (Old Statler Hilton + Old Library)

Postby dukemeredith » 30 Sep 2017 10:41

The Curio website has been updated again to reflect that they are accepting reservations for October 31st.

Previously, it was late November.

http://curiocollection3.hilton.com/en/h ... index.html

dd_dweller

Re: Downtown Dallas: Statler Hotel & Residences + Future DMN Offices (Old Statler Hilton + Old Library)

Postby dd_dweller » 02 Oct 2017 11:36

It seems like the lot next door is finally being prepped. Most of it has already been cleared.

Does anyone know what’s actually getting built? More apartments and a garage? Any renderings?

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 03 Oct 2017 17:02

Downtown Dallas' Statler Hotel kicks off new mixed-use project as opening nears
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ning-nears

The development at Harwood and Jackson streets will include more than 800 parking spaces in a garage, groundfloor retail plus residential units.

The parking garage will be underground with about six floors of residential space on top. The building is across the street from a planned park on Harwood.

"We are a doing six or seven apartments facing the park with little courtyards," Moayedi said. "There is going to be 140 condos for sale on top. "We feel like facing the park a lot of people will want ownership."

The developer is keeping the vacant corner of Commerce and Harwood for another project.
"We are going to build an iconic office building right on the corner," Moayedi said.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 03 Oct 2017 17:15

Thanks for the update. I didn't realize the second phase would include condos, that's pretty awesome to hear. The condos are being priced at $350 per sq/ft, which isn't cheap, but also not as expensive as Museum Tower or Blue Ciel.

This location is pretty killer, and has a TON of potential. The Statler re-development alone provides a good number of restaurants, and then you have Main Street Garden outside your front door and the Farmer's Market not too far.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 03 Oct 2017 18:39

An insightful article from Steve Brown? Now I've seen it all!

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 04 Oct 2017 13:45

Moayedi has done with the Statler what Headington should've done with the Joule, which is to follow up with condos rather than heavily subsidized high-end retail.

IMG_0597.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eburress

Postby eburress » 04 Oct 2017 15:46

I noticed in the article something I don't recall anybody mentioning:

"The developer is keeping the vacant corner of Commerce and Harwood for another project.
"We are going to build an iconic office building right on the corner," Moayedi said."

This sounds unlikely, but man, an "iconic" office building in this spot would be awesome!

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 04 Oct 2017 16:09

From this morning
20171004_104241 (Large).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 04 Oct 2017 16:13

If it is going to be, as they claim, "iconic", it better be very tall.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 04 Oct 2017 16:25

It's cool to see EMC development starting to connect with Farmer's Market.

eburress

Postby eburress » 04 Oct 2017 16:35

joshua.dodd wrote:If it is going to be, as they claim, "iconic", it better be very tall.

It's a pretty small lot, so if it's going to be of much use it would have to be pretty tall.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 04 Oct 2017 18:02

I remember seeing a rendering of the office building. Will try to find it.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 05 Oct 2017 03:17

Awesome!

I cannot really visualize how this will fit in its surroundings but I am hoping for a pretty impressive end result.

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 05 Oct 2017 08:17

I love all that’s going on with this property but I wish we would get retail. All that gets announced Downtown is new restaurants. People need places to shop downtown. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy with all the activity going on downtown. We just need some new retailers people who live downtown and out of town guest can afford.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Oct 2017 08:51

That's the old renderings before they even started the project when they planned to just build an above ground garage with retail at Harwood and Commerce. That is not what they are building now.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 05 Oct 2017 09:51

cowboyeagle05 wrote:That's the old renderings before they even started the project when they planned to just build an above ground garage with retail at Harwood and Commerce. That is not what they are building now.

Yes, the rendering I remember was different and looked like a modern version of the library. So much that I thought it was the library with a new facade.

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 06 Oct 2017 07:05

dd_dweller wrote:I love all that’s going on with this property but I wish we would get retail. All that gets announced Downtown is new restaurants. People need places to shop downtown. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy with all the activity going on downtown. We just need some new retailers people who live downtown and out of town guest can afford.

Amen to that. You would think that with 120,000 workers during the day, several thousand residents, several thousand hotel rooms, several thousand daily visitors, that our downtown would be able to accommodate at least one store for ordinary folks. I just don’t get what the problem is. If Downtown Dallas were a stand alone city, it would be considered a big city of tens of thousands of people, yet it has the retail options of a tiny burg, albeit a wealthy one. And it seems whenever a store or restaurant does open, it struggles. There are times even during weekdays when the downtown streets are virtually empty. Where is everybody? And on Sunday our downtown is virtually “closed”. We can’t have a dynamic, 24/7 downtown, if it isn’t even “open” 7 days a week. It has come so far, but has so far to go.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 06 Oct 2017 07:31

First it was "White Flight" and now it's Amazon strangling the opportunity for retail options in downtown Dallas. The irony!

I suppose as the risk of theft from Internet shopping & transactions increases, maybe brick and mortar shopping will stop bleeding, maybe grow. Probably not, though.

Online shopping is still to new for most store front retailiers to have figured out what will sell on the floor better than online. Four cornerstones: Quality, Service, Novelty and Experience.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 06 Oct 2017 09:15

You would think that with 120,000 workers during the day, several thousand residents, several thousand hotel rooms, several thousand daily visitors, that our downtown would be able to accommodate at least one store for ordinary folks.

Workers and hotel guests are not residents. They are working during the day, not shopping at stores for ordinary folks. Downtown does not really have enough residents to support stand-alone shopping when resident-focused shopping is so close (by car). I'm not sure the current downtown resident count, but when it passes 15k to 20k, then you will start seeing some downtown focused shopping. This site used to track that (maybe it still does and I just couldn't find the posting) - and I think downtown was around 10,000 residents, so it's not that far off.

BTW, who sustains stores while everyone is working? Stay at home moms and retirees. Shopping during the workday is a different world.
Last edited by The_Overdog on 06 Oct 2017 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 06 Oct 2017 09:17

Jbarn wrote:
dd_dweller wrote:And it seems whenever a store or restaurant does open, it struggles. There are times even during weekdays when the downtown streets are virtually empty. Where is everybody? And on Sunday our downtown is virtually “closed”. We can’t have a dynamic, 24/7 downtown, if it isn’t even “open” 7 days a week. It has come so far, but has so far to go.

I don't know that it's that bad anymore during weekdays. I work downtown, and it seems like the streets are very vibrant during weekdays nowadays, and the increased hotels are carrying that into the evening. New restaurants are opening up, and doing quite well (Salsa Limon is so crowded is almost impossible to even get inside during the weekdays). The tunnels and the myriad of restaurants down there still suck some life off the streets, unfortunately, but new street level options will siphon some of that off.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 06 Oct 2017 10:03

I was walking around Downtown last Friday around 3pm and felt it was relatively vibrant. I only stuck to Main and Elm streets, but I was early for a meet, so I just walked all the way down Main and came back on Elm street. We even ended up having dinner and then going to a bar on the West End. For some reason, I had it in my head that the area was unsafe at night, but even the West End had some decent foot traffic around (well, more than I expected). Not much of a bar/late night scene, obviously, but it was a pleasant surprise. I guess it's just the West End DART station that gives the whole area a bad rep.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 06 Oct 2017 10:21

Jbarn wrote:
dd_dweller wrote:I love all that’s going on with this property but I wish we would get retail. All that gets announced Downtown is new restaurants. People need places to shop downtown. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy with all the activity going on downtown. We just need some new retailers people who live downtown and out of town guest can afford.

Amen to that. You would think that with 120,000 workers during the day, several thousand residents, several thousand hotel rooms, several thousand daily visitors, that our downtown would be able to accommodate at least one store for ordinary folks. I just don’t get what the problem is. If Downtown Dallas were a stand alone city, it would be considered a big city of tens of thousands of people, yet it has the retail options of a tiny burg, albeit a wealthy one. And it seems whenever a store or restaurant does open, it struggles. There are times even during weekdays when the downtown streets are virtually empty. Where is everybody? And on Sunday our downtown is virtually “closed”. We can’t have a dynamic, 24/7 downtown, if it isn’t even “open” 7 days a week. It has come so far, but has so far to go.

The only way you get to 120,000 workers is by using the expansive definition of downtown (downtown and uptown combined). If that is the "downtown" we are discussing, we have a Whole Foods, a Walmart Neighborhood Market and a Tom Thumb on the way. Problem solved.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 06 Oct 2017 10:29

The_Overdog wrote:I'm not sure the current downtown resident count, but when it passes 15k to 20k, then you will start seeing some downtown focused shopping. This site used to track that (maybe it still does and I just couldn't find the posting) - and I think downtown was around 10,000 residents, so it's not that far off.

As of the 2010 census, inside the noose had 6,074.
As of the 2011-2015 ACS, it has 7,961.

If growth has been roughly linear since 2010, I'd estimate it's around 10,000 right now.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Oct 2017 10:39

Keep in mind people while the tallest buildings may be in the CBD the center of the Dallas DFW universe is not the CBD. In the grand scheme of things, most people are to the north Uptown being the start of that. The CBD is on the very edge of demographic rooftops that retailers want. The CBD is the tip of an underwater iceberg no matter how many people may be employed there during the weekdays. The simple fact that the CBD is not surrounded by the demographics retailers want means they stay in the West Village and NorthPark because those zones have good numbers in all directions. Uptown is the connective tissue to the great rich north as it reaches all the way to Frisco.

Once the Cedars, Deep Ellum, Design District become huge flourishing neighborhoods of residents you will see the donut fill in a bit. Even Kessler Park and its affluent homes are not enough to backfill for the void of customers. Look at West Dallas as well. We have new rooftops going up in all these areas but until they reach a critical mass surrounding the CBD things will be slow to pick up. Neiman Marcus stayed despite the bad numbers that surrounded them.

hjkll

Postby hjkll » 06 Oct 2017 14:07

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Keep in mind people while the tallest buildings may be in the CBD the center of the Dallas DFW universe is not the CBD. In the grand scheme of things, most people are to the north Uptown being the start of that. The CBD is on the very edge of demographic rooftops that retailers want. The CBD is the tip of an underwater iceberg no matter how many people may be employed there during the weekdays. The simple fact that the CBD is not surrounded by the demographics retailers want means they stay in the West Village and NorthPark because those zones have good numbers in all directions. Uptown is the connective tissue to the great rich north as it reaches all the way to Frisco.

Once the Cedars, Deep Ellum, Design District become huge flourishing neighborhoods of residents you will see the donut fill in a bit. Even Kessler Park and its affluent homes are not enough to backfill for the void of customers. Look at West Dallas as well. We have new rooftops going up in all these areas but until they reach a critical mass surrounding the CBD things will be slow to pick up. Neiman Marcus stayed despite the bad numbers that surrounded them.

Could not agree with this more. The center of gravity in Dallas really is Uptown along the Tollway and 75 up to LBJ, not really Downtown. Retailers are not going to open up downtown for 10,000 residents when there are plentiful options just a few miles up the highway. But frankly does Dallas need another Target? I think it'd be more interesting to fill Downtown with places like independent bookstores. But the whole notion of running errands on your lunch break is way more applicable in the suburbs. There isn't really anywhere to pick up basic shopping essentials Downtown. I'd be easier to pick up milk or batteries at a strip mall off 75

muncien

Postby muncien » 06 Oct 2017 14:26

With all these hotels and visitors, there are bound to be throngs of people every day who need a tie, belt, pair of socks, swimming trunks, or a sweatshirt... Unfortunately, the only options you can give them now are Niemans (ahem, easily pushing $300), or hoping to find something at CVS. That is pretty sad... The area desperately needs a small mainstream retailer.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 06 Oct 2017 16:52

The area needs small independent mom and pop shops. That's what it needs. This focus on bringing in big retailers is fine, but if you want a truly vibrant and organic atmosphere, we need small mom and pop shops.

rasec33

Postby rasec33 » 07 Oct 2017 08:24

joshua.dodd wrote:The area needs small independent mom and pop shops. That's what it needs. This focus on bringing in big retailers is fine, but if you want a truly vibrant and organic atmosphere, we need small mom and pop shops.

I agree with you 100% however rent in downtown is so expensive that's not affordable for these type of business.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 07 Oct 2017 09:40

rasec33 wrote:I agree with you 100% however rent in downtown is so expensive that's not affordable for these type of business.

I didn't major in economics, so could someone explain to me why these leasors prefer to keep their spaces empty because of their high rent price rather than lowing their rent and potentially finding a willing leasee?

Seems they're making no money if no one is paying their high rents...

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 07 Oct 2017 10:45

dukemeredith wrote:
rasec33 wrote:I agree with you 100% however rent in downtown is so expensive that's not affordable for these type of business.

I didn't major in economics, so could someone explain to me why these leasors prefer to keep their spaces empty because of their high rent price rather than lowing their rent and potentially finding a willing leasee?

Seems they're making no money if no one is paying their high rents...

Retail leases are typically for 10 years, tenant improvements are expensive and time-consuming, and tenants other than big corporate ones are much more likely to go out of business. All of which means it often makes sense to hold it vacant for quite a bit longer than what we would consider ideal.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 07 Oct 2017 17:33

Honest question: when you folks talk about "regular retail" and "mom & pops", what exactly are you talking about? Looking at my own shopping habits, outside of grocery shopping (which I only do once every six to eight weeks) virtually all of my non-online shopping is either 7-Eleven (simply because they have the cheapest price in town for feeding my Dr Pepper addiction) or Target. I guess you could include haircuts, too, but I get those in a Deep Ellum bar. :-) That's it. Are you including restaurants as "shopping"? I see several references to the retail in Uptown. What shops are you going to? I was about to say I can't think of any non-restaurant I've ever been to in Uptown, but then I remembered Peaches. :-)

What the heck are you guys buying? :-)

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 07 Oct 2017 23:36

Retail as in clothes, shoes, furniture. Here in Dallas, that would be Zara, Urban Outfitters, Gap, West Elm, etc. I'm assuming "mom & pop" shops would be the non-chain stores you find at Bishop Arts and Deep Ellum.

muncien

Postby muncien » 09 Oct 2017 08:50

I find myself walking into a Ross, Old Navy, or Target to buy something nearly every time I travel (even if it's just something small). Interestingly, I rarely go to those places when at home. Clothes are just one of those things that I don't think online shopping will ever replace 100%. But, other than clothes, I agree that the 7/11s and CVS's can handle it.
But with all the hotels throughout downtown, a few mainstream clothes retailers should do quite well.
Personally, I don't do mom & pop stuff. I know... I'm evil... but the costs usually just don't make it worth while.

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 09 Oct 2017 12:47

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... ns-to.html

This article is showing some of the Statler retail and associated buildings with tenants shown as Apple and Dean & Deluca probably not true but interesting that these are listed when most proposals list fake tenant names. However I know that Dean & Deluca have planned multiple Dallas locations according to this article interviewing D&D Chief Development Officer. http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/gol ... 57487.html

Also is that building across from Statler have an entire electronic side? Or is it a set LED display?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Oct 2017 12:59

statlercorridor1-copy.jpg

4statler-corridor-copy.jpg

3statler-corridor-copy.jpg

2statler-corridor-copy.jpg

muncien

Postby muncien » 09 Oct 2017 14:32

I love the proposal to remove a lane down commerce to widen the sidewalks. No brainer, and should have been done years ago. But they should extend it several more blocks to the east (past Doug's gym). Also, what is a 'double loaded intersection'?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Oct 2017 14:46

muncien wrote:I love the proposal to remove a lane down commerce to widen the sidewalks. No brainer, and should have been done years ago.

Yes, that's very cool to see. This is what I love/hate about Downtown Dallas. We have some massive roads that run through our city, which I hate because it's very pedestrian unfriendly. However, it also means there is a lot of land that could potentially be reconfigured for wider sidewalks, bike lanes, bus lanes, etc.. It'll take a long time, but it's cool to see it slowly happening.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 Oct 2017 10:18

They already took a lane from Commerce. Look at the sidewalk in front of the new Hampton Inn they built out the sidewalk there and in front of the new AC Hotel and the Statler. The Statler took it so they could have adequate space for a sidewalk and a better-sized valet pull up area. I believe the city will allow future developers to absorb that land down to Doug's gym but the city won't pay for an extension unless they are doing some larger project. The city will let developers throw down the new concrete when they are asking for tax breaks.

Thanksgiving Tower built out their sidewalk on Elm because the city required them too during their remodel. Alto 211 was asked by the city in the last year to build out their corner in front of the 7-Eleven but when a developer doesn't really have incentives on the line they tend to shy away from changing anything.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 10 Oct 2017 12:35

I really like that rendering of the Neiman Marcus parking garage.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 12 Oct 2017 15:38

Probably needs its own topic, but I'll put it here for now

eburress

Postby eburress » 12 Oct 2017 16:30

^^ In the top photo, is that the "iconic" structure going in on the corner of Harwood and Commerce? It looks like a pretty standard structure (not sure how iconic it is), but it'd be freaking awesome to have a high rise residential building right there!

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 12 Oct 2017 17:12

I went to TriArc's website and it appears they used the Residences at the Stoneleigh image as a placeholder

https://www.triarc-llc.com/

https://www.residencesatthestoneleigh.com/

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 12 Oct 2017 19:04

I still remember when the highrise in that picture was just an empty frame. It seems they started construction on it a decade ago and it just stopped and for several years the site remained vacant of any work.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 17 Oct 2017 15:54

Today was the ribbon cutting and soft opening for the hotel and its first restaurant, Overeasy. You can see from the photo that the rooftop signage is almost ready.

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 17 Oct 2017 17:19

Downtown Dallas' landmark Statler Hotel opens its doors after 3-year redo
by Steve Brown, Dallas Morning News, 10-17-17

Almost two decades after the building closed, downtown Dallas' landmark Statler Hotel is back in business Tuesday with its first guests.

Developers spent three years and $230 million saving the Commerce Street building, which has been turned into a luxury Hilton Curio hotel, apartments and restaurants.

"We are proud to open the doors of the Statler, 60 years after Conrad Hilton brought it to downtown Dallas," said Evan Danziger, general manger of the 159-room hotel.

"We celebrate the beginning of a new era for the hotel. Everyone is proud to be a part of the project."

He said the hotel has been modernized with "just a hint of 1950s nostalgia."

"We have combined timeless midcentury design with the latest advances in technology and luxury," Danziger said.

One of Dallas' grandest midcentury buildings, the 19-story hotel that once entertained movie stars and presidents ...

Article: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2017/10/17/downtown-dallas-landmark-statler-hotel-opens-doors-first-guests

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 18 Oct 2017 00:53

Thanks for the update. Does anyone know if all the restaurants/bars are open now as well, or will they be opening at a later date?

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 18 Oct 2017 07:36

Each article I've read says something different, but it seems Overeasy (the diner) and Bourbon & Banter (the speakeasy) are either already open or will be open very soon.

The others will be open "later this year."

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... ing-Iconic

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 18 Oct 2017 09:24

DPatel304 wrote:Thanks for the update. Does anyone know if all the restaurants/bars are open now as well, or will they be opening at a later date?

I know a friend who is a resident and they have been having resident only tastings and such so I imagine they are opening as they feel ready to accept crowds.