Downtown Dallas: Statler Hotel & Residences + Future DMN Offices (Old Statler Hilton + Old Library)

ericthegardener

Re: Downtown Dallas: Statler Hotel & Residences + Future DMN Offices (Old Statler Hilton + Old Library)

Postby ericthegardener » 03 Mar 2017 18:39

I dig it! Hope they are able to bring some more life to Main Street Park.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Re: Downtown Dallas: Statler Hotel & Residences + Future DMN Offices (Old Statler Hilton + Old Library)

Postby CTroyMathis » 03 Mar 2017 20:27

Curio Upcoming Openings:
http://news.curio.com/index.cfm/page/11266

Property details:
http://news.curio.com/index.cfm/property/detail/8959
Top part shows 2nd QTR 2017 projected opening, bottom part shows old news from 2015.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 03 Mar 2017 22:35

[quote="lakewoodhobo"]The model unit looks great. Remember when they said this would never work because of the low ceilings.

It does looks great and I'm glad this project has worked out so well. They just need to add full height drapery to elongate the short windows.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 04 Mar 2017 11:13

Very nice

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 04 Mar 2017 13:57

Well, it's been delayed once and it looks like it won't make the next date either. It was probably removed from the website till things are more firmed up closer to the real ready-to-open date.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Mar 2017 09:53

Maybe they don't act like IKEA which the app and website suggest I visit the Grand Prarie location every time because of it being physically closer. I would gladly do so if it had been built and opened yet.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 06 Mar 2017 14:29

lakewoodhobo wrote:The model unit looks great. Remember when they said this would never work because of the low ceilings.
IMG_1267.JPGIMG_1282.JPGIMG_1293.JPGIMG_1333.JPGIMG_1371.JPG

The first units are now available in May. We'll see if they can get that lobby ready in 2 months.

The residential lobby is on Jackson, so it's one level lower than the hotel lobby facing Commerce. I believe they also use the former service elevator bank making it easy to separate the hotel/apartment residents. There is a new vehicle entrance at that level as well.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 01 May 2017 15:47

The first apartment residents at the Statler moved in today.

Today, we proudly welcome our first residents. These urban pioneers truly understand our vision and are officially members of The Statler Legacy Program!

The abandoned Statler appeared on the National Trust's Most Endangered list 10 years ago and has taken nearly as long to renovate. Countless people said it couldn't be done.

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/ ... er-hilton/

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 01 May 2017 19:22

Amazing to see this project come to fruition. Might not have been what everyone wanted to met the expectations that it originally set out with, but is still fantastic to see it finish out none the less

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 01 May 2017 19:50

Exciting news! It's going to be awesome to really watch Downtown come alive over the next 5-10 years.

Brettoj

Postby Brettoj » 01 May 2017 21:09

I also noticed they are now on the Curio Collection website. It has renderings of most the hotel. It shows an opening date of Nov 27.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 01 May 2017 21:29

I found this slide in my collection, taken shortly after the Statler opened (view from Commerce Street).

And if you want a reminder of what this end of downtown looked like 10 years ago (when I moved to the neighborhood), here are some views from 2007. Desolate would be a kind word. The residents moving into the Statler as "urban pioneers" don't know what they are missing. Amazing transformation.

willyk

Postby willyk » 01 May 2017 21:43

I'll admit that I am a 50s junkie, but the building is a great example of the period architecture and the setting, with unencumbered views from the park, puts it on the must-see-must-do list for Dallas. What better place is there to share a few Martinis and listen to some Rat Pack? I expect that the opening will generate big buzz for downtown and energize the rest of EMC.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 01 May 2017 21:59

If the renderings on Hilton's website are to be believed (second image), then I'm more than a little bummed that the elevator bank isn't being returned to original (first image).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 02 May 2017 14:10

I actually like the new design a lot more.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 03 May 2017 07:25

Yeah, the new design is actually a massive improvement.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 03 May 2017 07:51

Y'all are crazy! ;)

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 03 May 2017 15:20

I see that some residences are available for move-in now, but is there an open entrance somewhere yet? How are these people able to get in?

As for the hotel portion, Curio's website says they're taking reservations starting in October. :shock:

The Statler Dallas, Curio Collection by Hilton will be open soon. We're accepting reservation for arrivals on or after 01 Oct 2017

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 03 May 2017 15:50

I believe residents enter on Jackson Street.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 May 2017 15:52

Wow, that is so awesome and to think they entertained demolition at one point. Can't wait see the building come alive again. What a major accomplishment for downtown.

Jay9398

Postby Jay9398 » 03 May 2017 16:12

Yes, the resident entrance is on Jackson St. Right by the red brick portion shown in the last of those old images above from dfwcre8tive.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 03 May 2017 18:28

Had to go see what the Jackson side looks like. There were a couple of moving trucks unloading.

C-7qZgIXoAA3HKy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

buildingswithlegs

Postby buildingswithlegs » 03 May 2017 19:02

lakewoodhobo wrote:Had to go see what the Jackson side looks like. There were a couple of moving trucks unloading.

C-7qZgIXoAA3HKy.jpg

Just me or does it look like a cheap fire station from this picture?

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 03 May 2017 23:35

buildingswithlegs wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:Had to go see what the Jackson side looks like. There were a couple of moving trucks unloading.

C-7qZgIXoAA3HKy.jpg

Well, that was the old loading dock/kitchen space so it was never designed to be a welcoming entry. I believe residents will also be able to connect through the hotel lobby, as well.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 04 May 2017 11:44

http://curiocollection3.hilton.com/en/h ... index.html

Now the website says November 27 instead of October for reservations. Well, I guess, better late than demolished.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 04 May 2017 12:36

^ true. But, man, I can't wait until it's done!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 May 2017 08:39

buildingswithlegs wrote:

C-7qZgIXoAA3HKy.jpg

I think you are confusing cheap with a classic mid-century design. I am not saying it is a showstopper as pointed out above since it was previously a worker entry point for the old hotel but it looks very appropriate for the style of the building. Uncomplicated lines with a clearly articulated scale for entry and a lack of unneeded auxiliary decoration.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 08 May 2017 10:17

Shouldn't there be a florist, baker, organic macrobiotic Chinese take-out, mail center or dry cleaner right next to the resident entry?

Considering there's as many or more people living directly across the street, Jackson Street should be packed with retail for mundane residential & pantry needs instead of the alley it's been for the last half century.

Just a block and a half down, the street is a pedestrian mall for AT&T. What a damaging blow to the quality of life should Jackson and Wood Streets go without total renovation catering to pedestrians -- at least between Griffin and (whatever is happening with) Pearl/Cesar Chavez expressways.

LBK2013

Postby LBK2013 » 13 May 2017 10:56

Lifting trees onto the roof

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 30 Jun 2017 19:25

dpl-1202 wrote:http://dallas.towers.net/2017/06/30/centurion-american-plans-mixed-use-project-in-main-street-district/

Wow....this is exactly what this part of the town needs.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 01 Jul 2017 00:26

Awesome! This is a complete, but very welcome, surprise for the area. I'm looking forward to all of these surface lots slowly disappearing one by one.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 05 Jul 2017 14:28

"CADG Jackson Parking A LLC, an affiliate of Centurion American Development Group, plans to break ground on a six level subterranean parking garage located at the northeast corner of Hardwood [sic] and Jackson streets in downtown Dallas," Centurion American Development representatives said in a statement. "Future plans also include construction of residential housing units above the garage.

"Construction on the garage should begin July 2017," the spokeswoman said. "The garage is being built to help meet the parking needs of the Statler Hotel & Residences as well as the Statler Library which will become the new home of The Dallas Morning News this fall."

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... own-dallas

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 05 Jul 2017 14:42

lakewoodhobo wrote:"CADG Jackson Parking A LLC, an affiliate of Centurion American Development Group, plans to break ground on a six level subterranean parking garage located at the northeast corner of Hardwood [sic] and Jackson streets in downtown Dallas," Centurion American Development representatives said in a statement. "Future plans also include construction of residential housing units above the garage.

"Construction on the garage should begin July 2017," the spokeswoman said. "The garage is being built to help meet the parking needs of the Statler Hotel & Residences as well as the Statler Library which will become the new home of The Dallas Morning News this fall."

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... own-dallas

Does this mean the building with Doug's Gym and the 7-Eleven will be gone? The lot is a bit of an odd shape, so I'm curious what the plan is.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Jul 2017 14:47

What is odd is that site already has some sort of underground parking garage. There is a ramp on what was city property at Commerce and Harwood. Kingston was working on getting the city to sell the land so this opportunity could move forward since the Dallas Morning News wanted to sign on if this part of the project moved forward. I have never been down that ramp so I don't know where it leads but I sure am curious where Centurion is going with all this.

My question is are those old building protected in some form? I mean I believe they are in the Harwood Historic District...http://dallascityhall.com/departments/sustainabledevelopment/historicpreservation/Pages/harwood_street.aspx

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 05 Jul 2017 18:05

cowboyeagle05 wrote:What is odd is that site already has some sort of underground parking garage. There is a ramp on what was city property at Commerce and Harwood. Kingston was working on getting the city to sell the land so this opportunity could move forward since the Dallas Morning News wanted to sign on if this part of the project moved forward. I have never been down that ramp so I don't know where it leads but I sure am curious where Centurion is going with all this.

My question is are those old building protected in some form? I mean I believe they are in the Harwood Historic District...http://dallascityhall.com/departments/sustainabledevelopment/historicpreservation/Pages/harwood_street.aspx

I used to think that the old ramp went under Commerce to the basement of the Municipal Building, but a building was on that site from 1913 until the late 1970s (serving as a business school, overflow offices for City Hall, auto parts store, seed store, and adult bookstore). Perhaps the city bought it later for additional storage of police vehicles?

The other buildings on that block are compatible but not contributing to the historic district (similar to the 1950s Titche's expansion which was modified by UNT with new windows). It means their preservation will be debated but it doesn't automatically ensure protection. Anything built in that block will undergo similar restrictions to new construction in the West End.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Jul 2017 11:15

• Overeasy, "serving farm-to-table breakfast, lunch and dinner, and featuring a gourmet coffee bar, counter seating and patio on Commerce Street overlooking Main Street Gardens."
  • Scout, "a 12,000-square-foot social space offering a scratch American menu with shareable items and craft beer on tap. Scout will feature live music, flat-screen televisions, four bowling lanes, four Ping-Pong tables, billiards tables and foosball."
  • Fine China, "a full-service lunch and dinner Pan-Asian restaurant and cocktail bar, featuring sake, Japanese whiskies, high tea, communal seating, private rooms and weekend DJs."
  • Bourbon & Banter, an "underground cocktail lounge with an extensive bourbon and whiskey library and craft cocktails, open from 4 p.m. until late."
  • Waterproof, "a poolside roof deck bar and lounge, situated on the 19th floor, offering 360-degree panoramic views, weekend DJs, resort-style service and craft cocktails."
  • And the Grand Ballroom, "a nearly 12,000-square-foot flexible space that will play host to A-list concerts, large-scale events, and will be downtown’s premiere wedding destination. Full of history, this ballroom once featured performers including Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett and Michael Jackson."

http://www.dallasobserver.com/restauran ... es-9650201

I had no idea there was so much space for retail here. Only one of them (overeasy) mentions having patio space, so is it safe to assume that the rest won't really have much street presence? If so, that's a bit of a shame, but this is an older building, wasn't designed to have the street presence some of the newer buildings do.
Last edited by DPatel304 on 11 Jul 2017 12:12, edited 1 time in total.

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 11 Jul 2017 11:38

I'm happy for all the restaurants but is there no actual retail in this building? Downtown is filling up with restaurants but no where to really shop. Everyone cant afford neimans, traffic, or forty five ten. We need some retail options that most people can buy. I was hoping some stores would open with the Statler.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with conversion of this building. I just wish we had more shopping for downtown residents and guest.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 11 Jul 2017 12:01

I've been waiting for this announcement and certainly glad they have their lineup ready (yes to bowling lanes!), I just wish these concepts worked a little harder to go with the cool midcentury vibe.

"Bourbon & Banter"? I thought we were done with alliterated names. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 11 Jul 2017 12:18

Since there will be more foot-traffic at the Statler, I really hope Main Street Garden can step it up on maintenance.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Jul 2017 15:35

dd_dweller wrote:I'm happy for all the restaurants but is there no actual retail in this building? Downtown is filling up with restaurants but no where to really shop. Everyone cant afford neimans, traffic, or forty five ten. We need some retail options that most people can buy. I was hoping some stores would open with the Statler.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the conversion of this building. I just wish we had more shopping for downtown residents and guest.

That is a harder sell even Deep Ellum has been trying to swing that stuff too. A bunch of the buildings in Deep Ellum was sold off recently to a new owner that specializes in shopping like retail cause the current owner hasn't been able to make it happen. The numbers still seem to be not enough for clothes and hard goods shopping. That and none of the retailers seem to believe people look at Downtown or Deep Ellum as a shopping destination I know that may surprise many of you. I think the final wave of positive news will be when retailers do see Downtown as a possible location for some shopping.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 16 Aug 2017 10:05

More investigations, so close to the home stretch.
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/investi ... estigation

Rangers100

Postby Rangers100 » 31 Aug 2017 10:07

Anyone know how leasing (i.e. occupancy rate) is going with these apartments?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 31 Aug 2017 11:04

If you walk by the front you can look into the diner that is going in at the Commerce/St. Paul corner. It looks pretty awesome I hope the prices are doable. They have certainly done some great restoration on the interiors and exteriors around the ground floor. The building will always look historic since many design features can not be replaced but simply cleaned up. I am so glad they saved this building and you can tell the Old Library is the next phase. They have been doing slower things there while they finish the hotel and retail space. I just don't know when they will move forward with more parking that they need.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 31 Aug 2017 18:01

I thought I heard that the DMN was moving in July or August (unless it's next year?). The old library redo isn't really going at the pace that I would think they'd be going, for them to have a tenant already lined up waiting to move in there. Parking somewhere would be needed for the DMN's people, I guess that's another reason they haven't already moved.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 31 Aug 2017 18:54

jrd1964 wrote:I thought I heard that the DMN was moving in July or August (unless it's next year?). The old library redo isn't really going at the pace that I would think they'd be going, for them to have a tenant already lined up waiting to move in there. Parking somewhere would be needed for the DMN's people, I guess that's another reason they haven't already moved.

On the other hand, that restaurant/bar on the corner of Commerce and St Paul looks ready to open any minute.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 06 Sep 2017 09:45

The parking garage site has been fenced off, so it looks like we may see some movement there soon.

unnamed.jpg

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 06 Sep 2017 09:58

lakewoodhobo wrote:The parking garage site has been fenced off, so it looks like we may see some movement there soon.

unnamed.jpg

Hmmmm... Steve Brown told us it was starting in July.