Lake Highlands Town Center

Texan#1

Lake Highlands Town Center

Postby Texan#1 » 22 Jan 2017 14:57

A few updates from the Lake Highlands Town Center on Skillman Ave and Walnut Hill Ln.

The Sprouts (left) should open in a few months.

There's an apartment mid rise under construction.

The only apartment structure that's currently occupied by a hair salon and nail place on the ground floor.

David Weekly will also be building for-purchase homes and the land is currently being prepped.

I was drawn into the development since there's a sign with leased tenants out front, but I couldn't really see what all was on it. I live in the area and have been told that Coal Vines, Starbucks, Taco Diner, a pet shop, and a cigar lounge are included.

DBadger

Re: Lake Highlands Town Center

Postby DBadger » 24 Jan 2017 11:31

I like the development. I think a lot of people were hoping it would be more urban as initially planned, but the developer changed course after the city dropped millions on infrastructure.
There was a meeting to update the community in May 2016 and the following was the summary (From Advocate - Lake Highlands)
"
Rafkin identified three projects that should start construction this summer:

The Shops at Lake Highlands Town Center will be a 64,000 sf retail center built in six separate buildings. A smaller 6,000 s.f. second phase will be built at the immediate southeast corner of Skillman and Walnut Hill so the center will eventually reach 70,000 s.f. The center will be anchored by a 30,000 s.f. Sprouts grocery. Rafkin called it “the nicest Sprouts built in their system.” He estimated the remaining buildings will be occupied 2/3 by restaurants and 1/3 by soft goods retailers. Although understandably reluctant to reveal the names of the potential tenants, he did disclose that discussions are underway with a “high-end taco” concept, an Italian restaurant, a Mediterranean restaurant and a “fishhouse”. Rafkin did confirm one new tenant–Starbucks. C’mon, what’s a neighborhood retail center without a Starbucks?
The Outlook at Town Center will be a 257 unit multi-family project between Wildcat Way and the Watercrest Park. It will be a “wrap-style” project, with residential units “wrapped” around a parking garage mostly hidden from street view. A focus of McGough and Housewright has been the “walkability” of Wildcat Way and Rafkin’s design of The Outlook acknowledges that attention. The ground level units facing Wildcat Way will have stoops leading from the front door down to the street for some “vitality and energy”. The ground level portion of the project at the southwest corner that faces The Haven and Wildcat Way will have units that can either be residential or commercial in nature. The southeast corner of the project that faces Watercrest Park will have a green area to gather that is triangular in shape. On top of that, the retail that faces Skillman will also have entrances and exits to and from Wildcat Way.
A townhome community developed by David Weekley Homes featuring 52 single family homes between 1750 s.f. and 2750 s.f. will be built on the southernmost five acre parcel of Town Center. Rafkin estimates the sales prices will be around $200 per s.f. There is an existing request into the Plan Commission for this development and McGough supports it. Here is a previous Advocate piece on the Weekley request.

Rafkin briefly commented on the north side of Walnut Hill identifying senior housing and additional multi-family and retail as possible uses.

"

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 24 Jan 2017 18:42

Wow.. well i hope the concept turns more urban than planned..

I want to see the "nicest sprouts" ever built. It would be cool if there some apartments on top.

DBadger

Postby DBadger » 10 May 2017 09:53

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Wow.. well i hope the concept turns more urban than planned..

I want to see the "nicest sprouts" ever built. It would be cool if there some apartments on top.

You can now. It's been open for a week.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 10 May 2017 16:59

DBadger wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Wow.. well i hope the concept turns more urban than planned..

You can now. It's been open for a week.

Thanks. Anyone have a pic?

DBadger

Postby DBadger » 11 May 2017 09:45

Its on my way home. I'll try to take a few in the next couple of days.
The whole build out with 5 buildings/restaurants around it seem almost done.

eburress

Postby eburress » 11 May 2017 13:05

Nice! It looks like an old-timey grocery store on the inside (in a good way). hahaha

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 11 May 2017 18:58

DBadger wrote:Its on my way home. I'll try to take a few in the next couple of days.
The whole build out with 5 buildings/restaurants around it seem almost done.

Yes, please. Some outside shots. All those shots posted by the Advocate of perfectly stacked vegetables are drool-worthy, but an exterior shot would have been nice!

DBadger

Postby DBadger » 09 Jun 2017 09:00

http://lakehighlands.advocatemag.com/20 ... starbucks/

Fish City Grill, Jersey Mikes and Starbucks confirmed for the LHTC.

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 11 Jun 2017 18:17

6/11/17

ImageUntitled by Around My City, on Flickr

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 10 May 2021 15:23

This was posted Nov 2020

Developers plan new project at Lake Highlands Town Center

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... utType=amp

The 424 apartments would be built in three- and four-story buildings just north of Walnut Hill.

The 441,700 square foot project would be the first construction in that area and would be adjacent to the DART rail station, according to plans filed with the city. Five buildings would be constructed in the rental project, which would be just west of the DART station.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 31 Jul 2021 12:55

A different developer has (also?) broken ground on a 400-apartment complex by the mass transit here, called Lenox Lake Highlands:

https://www.multihousingnews.com/post/o ... -property/

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 08 Jul 2023 14:16

I know this is random, but I guess this is sort of an update on the project.

What do y’all think about it? This video is from Dec 2022. I’d say 4:13-5:00 is a good view of it all. With a closer view of the newer portion at 9:13.

https://youtu.be/dCwzLnaFdOg