East Dallas: Ross Avenue Corridor

mcrdal15

Re: East Dallas: Ross Avenue Corridor

Postby mcrdal15 » 07 Jul 2018 15:07

tamtagon wrote:Bryan Place is a dead end neighborhood, and they're claiming the neighborhood is overrun with drunken patrons and their cars?

I wonder if this is the same collection of residents who ten-ish years ago complained that the 20 story highrise in a proposed development with apartments, grocery store a couple block SSE would block their view.

This is another example of the growing pains and evolution of urban Dallas. On one hand, you have a critical mass of people who desires urban vibrancy and walkable entertainment. On the other hand, you have a lot of people not accustomed to this at all. They're still viewing Dallas as some sort of small town, especially near the city center.

There's a mismatch going on and I think central Dallas will thrive when these suburban-minded, "bedroom community" residents in and around the urban core either adapt or move out. Central Dallas can't afford to be a quiet bedroom community. There's no use trying to negotiate with these neighborhood associations. Our best tool for change is at the ballot box.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 07 Jul 2018 15:13

Something seems off about this. There's been bars/restaurants in those spaces for years.

ForumFollowsFunction

Postby ForumFollowsFunction » 08 Jul 2018 19:32

tamtagon wrote:Bryan Place is a dead end neighborhood

I disagree. I drove through Bryan Place for the first time just a couple weeks ago and was very impressed with the density and character that exists there. The houses have virtually no space between and the streets are indeed extremely tight. I can certainly undertand how some careless bar patrons could really clog up the streeets in there. Look at all of the surrounding clusters of single family homes on that side of 75. None even comes close to the density of Bryan Place.

Not all urban development has to be sky rise apartments. Bryan Place fits a lot of houses into a tiny sliver of the Dallas urban environment, and its residents should not be disregarded so carelsssly. These are some of the citiy’s first urban pioneers, those who were willing to sacrifice the “luxury” of a sprawling suburban estate for something much more dense and much closer to the city center. They understand what it means for people to live close together and become a community. If they are sounding the alarm on bad neighbors we should at least listen. If anyone knows what it takes to be a good neighbor it’s the people that have packed themselves into the sardine can that is Bryan Place.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 08 Jul 2018 20:02

^dead end in the literal sense, the streets do not go thru, they are blocked.

TreeFrog

Postby TreeFrog » 09 Jul 2018 03:13

tamtagon wrote:^dead end in the literal sense, the streets do not go thru, they are blocked.

:lol:

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Jul 2018 08:34

Well, personally It sounds like the bar owners here are doing a little too much. I like a good neighborhood bar as much as the next guy, after all, I live above one and can hear the music from the patio as well as its drunk laughing patrons from one 7 days a week two floors down and love it but there is a balance between bars and nightclubs that many bars in Dallas bounce between. In Dallas, the urban areas used to be almost exclusive to entertainment districts where bar/clubs could rule the roost for years at a time before that business ultimately ran its course and another place opens 6 months later with very little resident area interference except in very select areas in Dallas. I think these days there is an uptick in the number of inner-city residences that have the potential intersection with bar owners that program themselves a little harder on the club side of things rather than a lively bar.

There are some idealistic expectations from some residents that living in the city means peace and quiet and that is foolish but I do think there are plenty of "bars" in Dallas that operate as a nightclub more often and tend to make a bigger stink at night because of this atmosphere. Whether its the parking nightmare problem crowding the residential neighborhood nearby or its the loud operating atmosphere things will have to change if operators want to stay open in even mixed-use residential neighborhoods. Operators have to just realize loud and louder DJ's are not a concept that's going to end well so close to very organized neighborhood associations. Pick your battles, cause you are going to have them running a night time venue that plays music and serve's liquor.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 09 Jul 2018 17:40

When I lived at Ross and Hall around 2012, nobody had a problem with Three Sheets or Sunset Lounge so clearly something changed.

Maybe the crowds that used to go to Plush/Gatsby downtown moved over here and it became too loud and unruly. Like Confucius said, "this is why we can't have nice things."

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Jul 2018 17:54

lakewoodhobo wrote:Maybe the crowds that used to go to Plush/Gatsby downtown moved over here and it became too loud and unruly. Like Confucius said, "this is why we can't have nice things."

I've never been to the bars on Ross Ave, but I have a feeling this is probably true. Also add to the fact that a few bars in Uptown have closed up shop as well, so perhaps these neighborhood bars started feeling more and more like party bars.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 13 Jul 2018 13:05

Looks like they abandoned this project for now. It's been empty like this for a month or so

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 13 Jul 2018 14:10

I didn't know Beck had properly along Ross Avenue, zing!

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 16 Jul 2018 03:10

That is a huge site. It's unfortunate the DISD had to sell the land. The location would have made for another great urban magnet school.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 16 Jul 2018 05:41

I guess they felt like they had to sell to raise $$$$ so they could have the nice shiny spot on N. Central. I'm not sure how set they are for amount of magnet campuses, but I guess another near DTD wouldn't hurt.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 16 Jul 2018 15:18

I don't know if it's abandoned. It seems to me like the demo gets done well before anybody can start actually building new. I have noticed that on a few of the new projects. Unless you are CityLights or KDC, it seems there is a shortage of construction workers from my view. Anybody in the business who might have better insights?

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 12 Oct 2018 07:05

Work is about to ramp up on old Dallas school district digs on Ross Avenue

The developer has come out and said that the reason for the construction down-time was to fine-tune the design/layout of the portion of the project that will include what is left of the former DISD building. The first completed portion of the complex won't be done until Summer of 2020.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... oss-avenue

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Oct 2018 10:23

They changed the design significantly and it looks worse than before...

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 12 Oct 2018 13:17

I think the new design is definitely "funkier" than what was previously proposed, but overall it's better. The first design was a little bland. This new design could use a little fine tuning, but it's definitely more details and less boring grey box like the old plan.

The only thing I fear is that this is another stall tactic in order to let what's remaining of the DISD building rot out, or a homeless person "accidentally" sets a fire in it, so they can scrape it.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 12 Oct 2018 14:12

^ They could have scraped it at any time. There's no requirement the keep any part of the old building.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Oct 2018 14:26

Yeah it's not protected by any city regulations so its completely on their dime if they decide to scrape it and claim it was too costly to keep.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Oct 2018 14:56

At this point ...Can we just get some decent sidewalks? These single file sidewalks gotta go.

eburress

Postby eburress » 12 Oct 2018 18:04

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:At this point ...Can we just get some decent sidewalks? These single file sidewalks gotta go.

I enthusiastically second that, along Ross and all over town.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Dec 2018 18:19

Dallas bar from hot Deep Ellum team blows up patio and cocktails on tap
Is December the right time to break out patio news? In Dallas, yes, where patios are relevant 24-7 — especially when the patio is as major as the one you'll find at Toller Patio Bar, an exciting new venture from the team behind Hide in Deep Ellum.

Hide proprietor Nick Backlund and beverage director Scott Jenkins have partnered with Lauren Corr, a young lawyer and entrepreneur, to launch this restaurant-bar with an amazing patio at 3675 Ross Ave. Opening is planned for spring 2019.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... ss-avenue/

Seems like a decent enough addition to the area.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Dec 2018 20:27

Will this finally be the start of a Ross Avenue nightlife. I know the corner Ross and 75 has had bars for a while but this place seems like it will make a much bigger splash being kinda in the middle between Greenville and Downtown.

eburress

Postby eburress » 12 Dec 2018 10:34

It sure seems so. There are some spots now but hopefully the addition of Toller will start to create some critical mass in the area.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 12 Dec 2018 11:29

Is there potential for a 'cluster' of bars on Ross Ave? I've only been a couple of times, but everything feels a little too spread out there to really develop much of a nightlife.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Dec 2018 12:29

DPatel304 wrote:Is there potential for a 'cluster' of bars on Ross Ave? I've only been a couple of times, but everything feels a little too spread out there to really develop much of a nightlife.

There's a couple of things prohibiting that from happening...

You'd have to redevelop some of the current retail and redo the sidewalks.

The entire area between Garret and Henderson is the biggest detriment to connecting Henderson,LG and Ross together.

You would have to convince The Episcopal Diocese of Dallas to sell their heavily unused parking lots that face Ross along that stretch.

..Perhaps an enticing offer could force their hand. Hopefully that occurs one day.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 04 Feb 2019 16:26

Later that afternoon, though, a word with the manager confirms it. “Yes, we are closing, because the building owner is selling to a developer. Townhomes,” she grumbles and scurries off. There's furniture to manhandle.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/arts/the ... g-11544101

Apparently the The Ross at Peak Thrift Store is being replaced with Townhomes. I'm glad to see more development along Ross Ave, but I really think developers should be thinking bigger, and think more about this being a main thoroughfare from Lower Greenville to Downtown.

anon

Postby anon » 04 Feb 2019 23:57

DPatel304 wrote:
Later that afternoon, though, a word with the manager confirms it. “Yes, we are closing, because the building owner is selling to a developer. Townhomes,” she grumbles and scurries off. There's furniture to manhandle.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/arts/the ... g-11544101

Apparently the The Ross at Peak Thrift Store is being replaced with Townhomes. I'm glad to see more development along Ross Ave, but I really think developers should be thinking bigger, and think more about this being a main thoroughfare from Lower Greenville to Downtown.

Well that sucks. That was a nice pre-WW2 building, which is rare in Dallas. It's a shame that we keep on tearing down more of our history.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 17 Mar 2019 20:04

Builder's Reboot Ross project is a a vision to spruce up old Dallas ISD buildings

The new owner is recycling the buildings, on the NW corner of Ross/Washington, and marketing them for mainly office uses. Eventually the owner plans a bigger project there, but not now.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -buildings
http://www.rebootross.com

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 03 Jun 2019 13:36

Atlanta developer heads to Dallas with new project east of downtown

Another set of apartments, this time at Ross/Peak, on the site of an old car lot. The article says the complex will finish up in 2021.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... t-downtown

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 25 Jun 2019 08:45

Awesome news for Ross Ave! The old Dallas Can Academy is being redeveloped in to creative office with a ground floor cafe and public space. This will be a first of it's kind for the area and I really hope it succeeds.

https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-worth/ ... ment-99595

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 25 Jun 2019 10:36

^^ Whoa, that is super news! This is within walking distance from my house and that little area already has so much cool potential (please, Jimmy's Food Store, never leave us). I'm always amused by real estate agents' insistence on branding this part of the neighborhood "The East Village" (I don't have a clear sense of where Knox-Henderson ends and the East Village begins...maybe Fitzhugh is the dividing line), but if we could get more cool mixed-use developments like this one, the name might just stick.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 15 Jul 2019 11:45

First look: Atlanta developer previews new Ross Avenue apartment project
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... nt-project

The builder plans to construct the 240-unit rental community at 4302 Ross Avenue and Peak Street.

The apartment project will replace vacant automotive sales lots on the property.

Construction is set to start this month on the building, which will open, in early 2021.

1563202347-ross-pollack (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eburress

Postby eburress » 15 Jul 2019 12:01

I think that's one of the better looking apartment buildings of its sort and it'll definitely be a nice addition to the area! Yay!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 15 Jul 2019 12:07

Nice looking place, much better than the vacant auto sales lot it's replacing.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 15 Jul 2019 12:23

Shame no retail on Ross ...

willyk

Postby willyk » 15 Jul 2019 22:31

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Shame no retail on Ross ...

So true. So where will these people shop? Where is the opportunity to build some new retail? The Sprouts site and the DISD corner both seem feasible.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 15 Jul 2019 22:51

willyk wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Shame no retail on Ross ...

So true. So where will these people shop? Where is the opportunity to build some new retail? The Sprouts site and the DISD corner both seem feasible.

There's actually going to be less retail on Ross. They're destroying the Furniture store for Townhomes. Sigh..

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 Jul 2019 11:09

Well, at least this new complex will have a beautiful view of our brand new 7/Eleven! Thank heaven we have two on the same stretch of Ross...

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 06 Aug 2019 13:43

I tried the new location of Top Round in East Dallas today. The new location is on Fitzhugh a couple blocks south of Ross, near Jimmy's Italian Market and Mai's. I had not been to the location in Irving before it closed. It was pretty busy. Staff was quick and friendly.

However, the food left plenty to be desired. The roast beef sandwiches were not even as flavorful as Arby's, bread was dry and tasteless, and the "beef and cheese" for $7.99 had what felt like a dollop of cheese sauce. It led to a dry sandwich with a bad mouth feel. The fries were plain, but were helped by seasoning at the table. Overall, expect to pay about $12-15 for a meal with drink and to leave thoroughly unimpressed. I'm starting to think that the Las Colinas location was not the biggest problem they had, and that it's more a food quality and pricing issue that is holding back this California chain from being successful here.

There are too many other good lunch options in this area for me to consider going back. I give them 6 months to a year, tops.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 06 Aug 2019 14:50

I went to the location in Las Colinas and wasn't real blown away by it. It was before a concert at the Toyota Music Factory, so the place (along with every other restaurant) was packed. I'm guessing they just didn't have the non-event day business to sustain what amounts to an expensive Arby's.

TreeFrog

Postby TreeFrog » 08 Aug 2019 19:36

Last summer there was the lawsuit with the city and Republic Ranch/Pilikia, as they were operating outside their intended use. Just noticed this: http://www.xoxodallas.com/.

Looking at the promo video for their upcoming sneak peak event, it looks very much the party space again: https://www.facebook.com/xoxosocialdall ... 605143591/

That venue has had it's history of drama and problems with Bryan Place, so curious what may have changed.

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 22 Oct 2019 10:49

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -for-redo/

I can't wait to see how this turns out. I'm glad that this building is being converted instead of being demolished. I've always wanted to know the history of this building and now I know.

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 09 Jul 2020 11:11

Reviving an old thread with the news that work is nearing completion on the former Dallas Can Academy building on Ross. M2G Ventures transformed the building in to a 50k SF multi tenant office building that looks interesting. I am not sure what their tenant profile is going to be or how successful the investment will be, but I am glad the space has been transformed and I'm hopeful this type of adaptive reuse / redevelopment continues along the Ross Ave corridor.

https://www.dmagazine.com/commercial-re ... velopment/

eburress

Postby eburress » 09 Jul 2020 11:26

That looks pretty nice on the inside! I wouldn't want to be launching new office space at a time like this but hopefully it works out for them.

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 09 Jul 2020 12:57

eburress wrote:That looks pretty nice on the inside! I wouldn't want to be launching new office space at a time like this but hopefully it works out for them.

Big picture I agree, but this type of space will likely become more desirable due to COVID. Smaller footprint with fewer other tenants/people in the building and no elevator rides required.

willyk

Postby willyk » 25 Mar 2021 23:33

Has anyone taken a look at how the “Academic” apartments are coming together at the old DISD site on Ross Ave? I am having serious doubts about whether this development will meet its highly touted objective of capturing the architecture of the old DISD HQ. Rather, I fear that substandard, generic, stucco covered apartments are overshadowing a token remnant of the old limestone buildings.

Take a look at their announcements and compare it to what is going up now.

“Through our preservation work, The Academic is a nod to the area's original essence, returning Ross Avenue to its fabric and vision,” says Carl Starry, a managing director of multifamily for Leon Capital Group.”

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/real ... residence/

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 26 Mar 2021 06:19

willyk wrote:...a nod to the area's original essence, returning Ross Avenue to its fabric and vision,”...

??the area's original essence??
^You know, if you're going to throw something like that out there, you ought to explain it a little.

https://dallaslibrary2.org/dallashistory/streetnames.php#:~:text=The%20street%20has%20been%20named,and%20died%20November%2014%2C%201899.

The street has been named Ross Avenue since at least 1868, when the minutes of the Dallas City Council talk about road grading work on Ross Avenue. The first Dallas City Directory was published in 1873, and it shows Andrew Ross living on Ross Avenue.

what a crock.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 26 Mar 2021 08:11

The project was always planned to be a generic apartment wrap. It just so happened that they were forced to incorporate some vestiges of the old building. So it's like 70% generic apartment wrap project now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LPG

Postby LPG » 26 Mar 2021 08:49

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:The project was always planned to be a generic apartment wrap. It just so happened that they were forced to incorporate some vestiges of the old building. So it's like 70% generic apartment wrap project now.

The scale in person is much worse than the renderings. The new constructions towers over the remainder of the admin building.

eburress

Postby eburress » 26 Mar 2021 10:21

I'm fine with the scale. It's a pretty solid quality building that incorporates some of the old and removes a big empty, ugly lot. Fill up the rest of Ross with stuff like this, rather than more fast food restaurants and drug stores.