East Dallas: Ross Avenue Corridor

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Re: East Dallas: Ross Avenue Corridor

Postby undefinedprocess » 26 Mar 2021 10:35

Yeah, please no more fast food. Only fast food in any and all of downtown should be ground floor space in other buildings (but not on Ross lol)

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 03 Jun 2021 09:50

Apartments coming to Ross & Garrett, plus changes to St. Matthew's Cathedral.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2021/06/03/new-apartments-will-join-historic-east-dallas-cathedral/

Highlights:
• Trammell Crow apartment project with 384 units spread over 2 buildings, Alexan Cathedral Arts
• Set to open in 2023
• Resources from the project would be used to help the church open a financially accessible preschool, renovate the great hall into a space for music/arts, and add green space for outdoor events
• Renovate parking lot on Ross Ave into a pedestrian-friendly plaza that will host community activities, such as farmers' markets or festivals

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 03 Jun 2021 11:06

Interesting. Lots of homeless in that area around Garrett park next door. They did just recently clean it up though. That whole area has changed so much in the last 5 years!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Jun 2021 11:19

undefinedprocess wrote:Apartments coming to Ross & Garrett, plus changes to St. Matthew's Cathedral.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2021/06/03/new-apartments-will-join-historic-east-dallas-cathedral/

Highlights:
• Trammell Crow apartment project with 384 units spread over 2 buildings, Alexan Cathedral Arts
• Set to open in 2023
• Resources from the project would be used to help the church open a financially accessible preschool, renovate the great hall into a space for music/arts, and add green space for outdoor events
• Renovate parking lot on Ross Ave into a pedestrian-friendly plaza that will host community activities, such as farmers' markets or festivals

Found this most interesting. Didn't know this was ever there.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 03 Jun 2021 13:48

Glad to see more density added to Old East Dallas.

However; I recently made a mental note that the transformation of Ross Ave is beginning to look like what locals would have seen in 1950-60’s Gaston Ave “improvement.” While it seems like a good idea in the short term, an oversupply and lack of product diversity can be a recipe for long term blight.

I’m not arguing that what is being replaced will be missed, but as this develops into a area chock full of apts which may not be well-maintained, there will be a race to the bottom in rental rates over time which will end like it always has. A little dose of ownership interspersed would do wonders.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 03 Jun 2021 13:50

Dwelling ownership in this area would be an outstanding investment.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 03 Jun 2021 14:22

I really hope the parking lot they mentioned is the on facing Ross by Henderson across from the strip mall.. that would be wonderful. I hope they add retail.

But this trammel crow, so they will deliver something mediocre, as they always do for Dallas.

eburress

Postby eburress » 03 Jun 2021 17:56

The parking lot they're referring to is the long, narrow one right on Ross (yes, it's the one you're thinking of).

Despite the Trammell Crow aspect of this, I'm still excited. Hopefully they knock down those apartments behind the church as well.

eburress

Postby eburress » 03 Jun 2021 17:59

tamtagon wrote:Dwelling ownership in this area would be an outstanding investment.

Fingers crossed! lol

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 03 Jun 2021 18:09

tamtagon wrote:Dwelling ownership in this area would be an outstanding investment.

We looked at a several condos and townhomes for sale on Ross near downtown. For example: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3102 ... 3817_zpid/

Two things stood out: the asking price per square foot tends to be lower than nearby properties, and the average time on the market is MUCH longer.

LondonBigD is spot on. We decided to pass based on the neighborhood. It has become dominated by monolithic, low-quality apartments. When a couple complexes begin to cut rents or skimp on maintenance that area is going to deteriorate quickly. In the 1980s I saw first-hand how almost overnight the Vickery area went from rivaling The Village to rivaling Mogadishu. Almost 40 years later it and its still the worst area in Dallas north of I-30. The low prices and slow sales along Ross make me think that a lot of buyers are like us -- worried that the same fate could await Ross Avenue.

thelivingworld

Postby thelivingworld » 04 Jun 2021 00:25