Uptown Dallas: Business Openings and Closings

Redblock

Uptown Dallas: Business Openings and Closings

Postby Redblock » 21 Jan 2017 22:17

As of 1/20/17, the Texas Land and Cattle at Cole and Lemmon is permanently closed. A notice is posted on the door that employees will receive their final checks next week.

R1070

Re: Uptown Dallas: Business Openings and Closings

Postby R1070 » 21 Jan 2017 23:25

Finally. Bulldoze it!

eburress

Postby eburress » 22 Jan 2017 01:51

Wow, that lasted WAY longer than I ever expected. Here's hoping for another high rise! :)

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 22 Jan 2017 15:29

Oh wow! When I lived in the West Village I would walk over to TLC quite a bit and eat at the bar... Someone needs to buy the lot along with the car wash right behind it for a development.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 22 Jan 2017 16:21

Great news! I'm excited to see what's in store for this plot of land.

dwight

Postby dwight » 22 Jan 2017 17:05

I think the car wash is owned by the same people who own the cvs property. They're looking for another high dollar ground lease. I always wondered who goes to TL&C and I'm also very surprised it lasted so long!

R1070

Postby R1070 » 22 Jan 2017 17:21

Car Wash and TLC spots could combine to be a pretty nice development site!

JohnMcKee

Postby JohnMcKee » 22 Jan 2017 21:55

I've eaten there exactly once in my 10 years in Uptown, one of the worst steaks from a restaurant I have ever had in my life and way overpriced for the experience as well.

And when I say overpriced for the experience I mean basically my expectations were slightly above ordering a steak from Chili's and the fact that Chili's even has steak is a joke.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 22 Jan 2017 23:20

JohnMcKee wrote:I've eaten there exactly once in my 10 years in Uptown, one of the worst steaks from a restaurant I have ever had in my life and way overpriced for the experience as well.

And when I say overpriced for the experience I mean basically my expectations were slightly above ordering a steak from Chili's and the fact that Chili's even has steak is a joke.

Harsh..lol

eburress

Postby eburress » 23 Jan 2017 09:42

JohnMcKee wrote:I've eaten there exactly once in my 10 years in Uptown, one of the worst steaks from a restaurant I have ever had in my life and way overpriced for the experience as well.

hahaha - I know what you mean. TLC was where I went for a "fancy" dinner when I was in college/the Marine Corps (i.e., broke as hell), but it has easily been 15-20 years since I've been there. I don't mind the franchise because it definitely has an audience and outside Texas, it (and places like it) does a good job at making Texans feel at home while they are stationed elsewhere - but - now it's time for more density!! :)

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 23 Jan 2017 10:51

More density and less steak.

Organic Macrobiotic Chinese - it's delicious and much better for you!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 18 Apr 2017 18:31

A colorful Asian-themed restaurant from San Antonio is coming to Dallas. Called Hot Joy, it's a fun concept that serves ramen, wings, and other millennial things. It'll open this summer at 3130 Lemmon Ave., in the former Texas Land & Cattle space.

Hot Joy comes to Dallas via Front Burner Restaurants, the Dallas-based company that owns restaurants such as Mexican Sugar, Sixty Vines, and Whiskey Cake. They've partnered with the creators of Hot Joy to expand.

The restaurant will initially open as a pop-up. It'll stay in the TL&C space for two years, then move to a permanent location.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... emmon-ave/

So it looks like we won't be getting rid of this building just yet. On the bright side this new restaurant only plans to occupy the space for two years. It would be nice to see some of the surface parking converted into a large patio space, or something else for pedestrians, but if this is a temporary, I doubt they'll make major renovations to the building.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 23 May 2017 10:45

So & So's next to Quarter Bar has closed with a sign on the door saying stay tuned for their next "concept".

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 May 2017 11:28

flyswatter wrote:So & So's next to Quarter Bar has closed with a sign on the door saying stay tuned for their next "concept".

https://dallas.eater.com/2017/5/10/15615708/so-and-sos-mckinney-avenue-closing

So & So’s Will Shutter To Make Room For A New Bar Called Parlay

So & So’s will be replaced with a new bar called Parlay, which will open in collaboration with SBBC Hospitum, the group behind Truth & Alibi, Pilikia, and other popular Dallas nightlife spots. No word yet on when Parlay is set to make its debut, but details on the new bar are expected soon.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

willyk

Postby willyk » 23 May 2017 20:27

Is Union Park on Main St gone?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 May 2017 09:09

willyk wrote:Is Union Park on Main St gone?

Yes, it was gone weeks ago. It was so off the radar that the food blogs didn't even cover its closing.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 22 Jun 2017 13:05

Parlay Sports Club soft opens tonight. 8p-2a. Pretty quick turnaround. I have a feeling this place will have an identity crisis between being a sports bar and a dance club.

https://dallas.eater.com/2017/6/22/1585 ... own-dallas

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 23 Jun 2017 12:36

I randomly drove by this last night and it was super packed

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Jun 2017 15:03

This talks about restaurants opening and closing so thought this might be a good thread to discuss this topic since much of this will impact Uptown and areas around Uptown.

D-FW developers bet millions on restaurants to draw a crowd, but will you bite?

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... w-projects

Longtime Dallas restaurateur Shannon Wynne said the growth of the real estate market is outpacing what the restaurant business can provide.

"There aren't enough people to fill all the seats in all the restaurants on the way in the Dallas area," said Wynne. "Developers are putting restaurants where restaurants shouldn't be. They are going to wind up cannibalizing business from other restaurants."

A few years back, every new 4-story apartment complex had to have retail on the ground floor. Landlords soon discovered there weren't tenants to fill all those ground-floor spaces.

"Not everything can be mixed-use," said architect Lance Josal with CallisonRTKL. "It has to be in a walkable area."

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 29 Jun 2017 16:14

I surely think we are going to see a washing out of this industry as the margins are stretched too thin too many options and the commercial rents are too high to make a profit. I give it another year then the closings in mass.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Jun 2017 23:17

I have kind of wondered about all the restaurants and lack of retail, interesting how this is washing out.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 29 Jun 2017 23:50

Not surprising. For the past few years, it's felt like there is a few new restaurant openings almost every week, so it was bound to catch up to them. Hopefully these closings aren't too detrimental to the area.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 30 Jun 2017 08:45

Even with the change in retail shopping habits, the birth of drones and other means to bring goods directly to people I would guess, and this is just an assumption, that people will still leave the house for food and alcohol. Even though those can also be brought directly to the person, people still like to socialize.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 30 Jun 2017 09:13

Other stand-alone retail opportunities will manifest.... The Sears & Roebuck Catalog didn't totally destroy store front shopping back in the day any more than Internet shopping will end up doing today. It'll be different, that's for sure!

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 07 Jul 2017 20:44

Next Door Bar at 2908 Mckinney (next to Shell Shack) closed down June 26 according to their
Facebook page.

Also Dos Jefes (formerly Nick and Sams Grill) at 2816 Fairmount is no longer. "For Lease" sign on their front door.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 07 Jul 2017 22:38

uptown74 wrote:Next Door Bar at 2908 Mckinney (next to Shell Shack) closed down June 26 according to their
Facebook page.

Haha, that's insane, this building just can't seem to catch a break. Have all the tenants just been that bad, or is this building just in a bad location? Standard Pour and the MAT seem to do well, but I guess perhaps being surrounded by Avenu and the Nail Spa create a bit of a dead space on either side, which doesn't help?

JohnMcKee

Postby JohnMcKee » 08 Jul 2017 12:51

The TABC delinquency list has Christies listed as under bankruptcy protection. They appear to still be operating and can under bankruptcy protection but it probably isn't a good sign.

Not surprised about Next Door, they seemed to run a good operation but the atmosphere wasn't great and the drinks were insanely expensive. Last time I was there they had more staff working than patrons.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 08 Jul 2017 19:23

Awe, Christies - The most luxurious sports bar in Texas.... I had some good times there. Too bad.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 Jul 2017 09:17

DPatel304 wrote:
uptown74 wrote:Next Door Bar at 2908 Mckinney (next to Shell Shack) closed down June 26 according to their
Facebook page.

Haha, that's insane, this building just can't seem to catch a break. Have all the tenants just been that bad, or is this building just in a bad location? Standard Pour and the MAT seem to do well, but I guess perhaps being surrounded by Avenu and the Nail Spa create a bit of a dead space on either side, which doesn't help?

In this case the dead space is a good thing. Having a wall of continuous bars is not necessarily a good thing. Breaking things up with a variety of night to day places is much preferred for the stabilization of the neighborhood and the bar scene for that matter. The problem seems to occur when you have too many bar only spots and those areas become dead during the day. I would honestly prefer to see this space turned into office space or torn down for that matter. There is a need for a rebalancing along this stretch of Uptown and losing a few bars is not a bad thing.

JohnMcKee

Postby JohnMcKee » 10 Jul 2017 09:42

The Next Door property is already started a significant remodel, I never noticed a lockout, they never appeared on the TABC delinquency list and there hasn't been a for lease sign so either the owner of the property is doing a very through make ready for re-lease which seems unlikely or Next Door either lost their lease or is undergoing the rare legitimate re-conception, not the usual re-conception right around the time employees start talking about not getting paid, the doors get locked by their landlord and they appear on the TABC delinquent list.

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 10 Jul 2017 17:08

JohnMcKee wrote:The Next Door property is already started a significant remodel, I never noticed a lockout, they never appeared on the TABC delinquency list and there hasn't been a for lease sign so either the owner of the property is doing a very through make ready for re-lease which seems unlikely or Next Door either lost their lease or is undergoing the rare legitimate re-conception, not the usual re-conception right around the time employees start talking about not getting paid, the doors get locked by their landlord and they appear on the TABC delinquent list.

A comment on their FB page mentioned they were shut down by the fire marshal because of the upstairs deck. Not sure if this is true or not but it sorta makes sense.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 10 Jul 2017 18:42

They could just be doing a remodel like 6th Street (which is looking way better).

JohnMcKee

Postby JohnMcKee » 11 Jul 2017 11:27

R1070 wrote:They could just be doing a remodel like 6th Street (which is looking way better).

6th Street has been on the TABC delinquency list (i.e. unable to legally buy alcohol) since their decision to abruptly close for "remodeling".

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 25 Jul 2017 12:42

Looks like Uptown Urban Market at Gables Villa Rosa is struggling. The Slider spot, La Duni and Fireside Pies have closed.

I believe the market has only been around since the spring. Former Sfuzzi space.

JohnMcKee

Postby JohnMcKee » 25 Jul 2017 13:54

ArtVandelay wrote:Looks like Uptown Urban Market at Gables Villa Rosa is struggling. The Slider spot, La Duni and Fireside Pies have closed.

I believe the market has only been around since the spring. Former Sfuzzi space.

I'm not surprised, I'm a prime customer, get take away all the time, live two blocks away, easy walking distance and I haven't thought about getting food there once. Actually I forgot it even existed.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Jul 2017 14:54

I went a couple times and thought it was okay. A food hall definitely needs to be bigger to really make sense though, otherwise there isn't much selection and not really a very lively place to hang out either.

I think Uptown could definitely pull off a food hall really well, but it would have to be much bigger. The one that is coming to Legacy West looks insanely big, and it will probably be a huge hit.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 25 Jul 2017 19:24

This was too insular. It needed to be opened up to the street better.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 26 Jul 2017 01:04

Yeah, definitely. It would be cool to see a food hall take over a building with a decent sized surface lot. As an example, convert The Den into a food hall, and convert the surface parking outside of it into food truck space and outdoor seating. I know Hot Joy has claimed the old Texas Land and Cattle for the next two years, but that would be another building that could be re-purposed and the surface parking could also be utilized as well.

IMO, the best place for a food hall would be the old Sun Fresh/Minyards building, but, seeing as how that is a large and prime spot, it would be a massive development with apartments with a grocer and food hall on the ground floor.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 26 Jul 2017 17:51

It looks like a bar called "Level" has replaced 6th Street and a new bar called "Playground Bar" plans to replace the Next Door bar:
http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... wn-games-/

JohnMcKee

Postby JohnMcKee » 26 Jul 2017 21:09

They're collaborating with Sam Sameni, Alon Abramov, and Shaul Sultan, who own Avenu Lounge and who also owned Next Door.

We just want a chill spot on McKinney Avenue, something that's laidback and not super expensive, like some of the other bars in the area," Jovel says.

Next Door opened there in 2015 with similar intentions as a relaxed spot

Doesn't seem like a good sign. Next Door may have been relaxed (because not many people went there) but it was super, super expensive.

I wish we could go back to the MAT before it was owned by a raging a**hole, I used to love that place.

This may sound crazy because the strip isn't far away and maybe because I'm gay and it's skewing my perspective but I think a laid back neighborhood gay bar like J.R.'s would do well on McKinney. A LOT of us settled in Uptown/East Dallas and a place to run into friends and neighbors would be nice in Uptown.

Frankly it would probably do well with a lot of women too. Enough rainbow flags and Kylie Minogue would probably scare off the obnoxious bros that infest our neighborhood and be a nice place for women to meet up for a drink after work.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 26 Jul 2017 21:24

lol true. Uptown is already losing BJ's on Fitzhugh due to new ownership of the building.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Jul 2017 09:23

I am sad we are losing BJ's NXS which personally I connect with Knox more than Uptown since the boundaries for the defined Uptown district by the city's map ends at the West Village. The real question is what does the new owner have planned since the strip he bought is not big enough for some large apartment project. I hope he wants more than just a reskinning of the existing shopping center. I doubt he has also been able to get the Sigel's lot.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 27 Jul 2017 09:32

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I am sad we are losing BJ's NXS

http://www.projectq.us/atlanta/bj_roosters_loses_lawsuit_ex_bartender_gets_67k?gid=17406

BJ Roosters loses lawsuit

http://www.projectq.us/atlanta/bj_roosters_files_bankruptcy_with_600k_in_debts?gid=17458

The bankruptcy filing by Jobo's, Inc. – the corporate parent of the Cheshire Bridge Road bar – was accompanied by personal bankruptcy filings from its two owners, CEO Bobby Hamill and John Molinari. All three filings list the same debts – some $594,679.31 owed to its attorneys, former bartenders and dancers, and the lawyers who sued the bar on their behalf.

Some did not expect BJ's owners to survive all the lawsuits or bankruptcy.... let alone survive each other!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Jul 2017 11:23

I am confused why some random bar in Atlanta has anything to do with the locally owned BJ's NXS in Dallas. BJ's here wasn't even doing badly in terms of its financial position. This was purely a case of a new property owner kicking out all the tenants.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 27 Jul 2017 11:42

I thought the owners of the club in Atlanta are also the owners of the bar in Dallas...?

Oh, my bad, nevermind.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Jul 2017 11:48

tamtagon wrote:I thought the owners of the club in Atlanta are also the owners of the bar in Dallas...?

Oh, my bad, nevermind.

Nah it's just a popular naming convention for a gay bar to call itself BJ's in some form or another.

JohnMcKee

Postby JohnMcKee » 27 Jul 2017 14:09

Every city is required to have at least one gay bar named with a double entendre and there are only so many to go around.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Jul 2017 14:58

Personally, I've never felt that our gay bars fit the world Will & Grace painted for me.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 27 Jul 2017 15:30

There's Mineshaft in Long Beach.

JohnMcKee

Postby JohnMcKee » 27 Jul 2017 19:43

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Personally, I've never felt that our gay bars fit the world Will & Grace painted for me.

BJs, Peckers, Woody's, I think we are covered. I guess down to two now. But we lost Moby Dicks and got a Woody's so...