Uptown Dallas: Business Openings and Closings

Kelley USA

Re: Uptown Dallas: Business Openings and Closings

Postby Kelley USA » 25 Jun 2019 10:57

Primo's is returning to it's original location on McKinney Ave as a more elevated concept... The interesting note, it'll be owned by Mehrdad Moayedi of Centurion American who apparently is starting a new company called Refined Hospitality Group.

https://cravedfw.com/2019/06/25/primos- ... t-concept/

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 Jun 2019 11:13

From their store website...
store200-hero.jpg

Before from Google Maps...
foxtrot-orginally.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 25 Jun 2019 11:17

yes, that definitely shows how this is an upgraded corner. I hope Foxtrot sets a new standard along McKinney for how well it draws people in and invites them to linger/socialize on the street.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Jun 2019 11:24

The Foxtrot space looks great! I agree, I hope they set the standard for future developments along McKinney Ave.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 26 Jun 2019 10:42

Kelley USA wrote:Primo's is returning to it's original location on McKinney Ave as a more elevated concept... The interesting note, it'll be owned by Mehrdad Moayedi of Centurion American who apparently is starting a new company called Refined Hospitality Group.

https://cravedfw.com/2019/06/25/primos- ... t-concept/

I remember going once back in the day. At the time, it didn't really seem like anything special, but I much prefer a restaurant like this over So&Sos, Parlay, etc..

With this and Foxtrot, I'm feeling better about the direction McKinney Ave is headed in. Hopefully now with Circo gone, they can replace it with a restaurant that will better suite the neighborhood.

Does anyone know anything about these two buildings. I know the further one is the former TBD bar, which has been vacant ever since that place closed down. Is the other building still being utilized by an apartment locator? This particular area seems to be very underutilized, IMO:
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8042724 ... 384!8i8192

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 26 Jun 2019 17:25

Lived in the high rise apartments just north of that (McKinney Uptown) for two years. Both buildings have been closed/abandoned since before summer 2016. I always heard that the owner of that parking lot makes a ton of money off valet/parking for the bars across the street and hasn't had an interest to sell it.

I must admit that while I'm happy Primo's is going in, I'm disappointed they want to essentially make it millennial friendly with a trendier name and "modern" cocktails.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Jun 2019 17:28

Yeah, I imagine he would make more if he tore down those derelict buildings then. The land will go for a pretty penny for another apartment tower at some point. All his patience is paying off with the Central Market coming just down the street.

Lakewood2Uptown

Postby Lakewood2Uptown » 26 Jun 2019 20:17

emmasensei wrote:Went to Foxtrot Corner Market on McKinney this morning for their grand opening (hey, they were giving out free coffee!). The store itself is fine, but what I really liked was the store's integration with the pedestrian realm. The patio is the real star of the show, and there was a nice bustle with lots of folks walking their dogs to and fro.

Love this place. The perfect addition to the neighborhood.

I can't believe Primo's is coming back. Foxtrot and Primo's give me hope for Uptown. Now just get the Central Market here!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 28 Jun 2019 13:40

I visited Foxtrot yesterday and really loved the space, and think it's a great addition to the neighborhood. It looks like it provides a bit of everything, and, surprisingly, it seems to execute it pretty well. There's a very decent wine and beer selection for anyone who wants to grab a drink and hang out, it looks like they do coffee as well, and have outlets and wi-fi for people who want a place to study/work. In addition to grab and go items, they offered a decent amount of frozen foods and also some snacks.

I was there on a Thursday at around 9pm, and there was a decent amount of people who were hanging out on the patio, and also just popping in to get something to go.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 10 Jul 2019 00:57

Car wash/gas station closed?

The car wash/gas station at Lemmon East and Cole has all the pay slots on the car wash and gas pumps covered over and marked out of service. There was a small rig taking samples. Perhaps checking for gasoline leaks.

Has anyone heard of a problem there?

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 10 Jul 2019 08:41

Redblock wrote:Car wash/gas station closed?

The car wash/gas station at Lemmon East and Cole has all the pay slots on the car wash and gas pumps covered over and marked out of service. There was a small rig taking samples. Perhaps checking for gasoline leaks.

Probably just getting ready to raze the site and put up a Walgreens. There's a definite need in that area.

rogerroger

Postby rogerroger » 10 Jul 2019 11:11

exelone31 wrote:
Probably just getting ready to raze the site and put up a Walgreens. There's a definite need in that area.

haha.. Yeah, if we could only be so lucky to get another suburban type of pharmacy on that site, it would complete the trifecta with Walgreens and CVS.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 10 Jul 2019 11:49

Wasn't there a proposal for a Pollo Tropical a few years back for this plot? That would have been a disaster seeing as they didn't last very long in this market. The owners would actually make a killing if they tore down the current car wash / gas station and built one of those drive-thru car washes with the free vacuums. Not saying I want that, but they would make a fortune!

dch526

Postby dch526 » 10 Jul 2019 12:08

Redblock wrote:Car wash/gas station closed?

A few years back when Texas Land and Cattle was still in business, I had heard rumors of a 7-story apartment complex going in to replace the TLC, gas station & car wash. With this site being about the size of the Taylor, I wouldn't be surprised if a 15-20 story tower goes in here if this is indication of a development.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 Jul 2019 16:32

A little luck....maybe something good will happen here.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Jul 2019 23:19

New sinage in front of the former Uptown Urban Market space.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 29 Jul 2019 15:33

Tnexster wrote:A little luck....maybe something good will happen here.

Just read on Nextdoor that the security guard there (gas station/car wash at Lemmon/Cole) is saying it is to be a RaceTrac. For the love of God I hope this is a very misinformed source.

Just when you thought that block couldn’t get worse than suburban CVS.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 29 Jul 2019 15:47

LongonBigD wrote:

Just read on Nextdoor that the security guard there (gas station/car wash at Lemmon/Cole) is saying it is to be a RaceTrac. For the love of God I hope this is a very misinformed source.

Wow. I think I'm officially going to start looking for new cities to relocate to if this is true. I just... can't.... with Dallas sometimes.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 29 Jul 2019 15:52

LongonBigD wrote:

Pollo Tropical was denied a zoning change because they wanted a drive-thru window that would close at 10 pm. But RaceTrac expects zoning for a midnight or 24/7 gas station?

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Jul 2019 21:43

Seems like an odd location for a RaceTrac.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 30 Jul 2019 00:24

Redblock wrote:
LongonBigD wrote:

Pollo Tropical was denied a zoning change because they wanted a drive-thru window that would close at 10 pm. But RaceTrac expects zoning for a midnight or 24/7 gas station?

After thinking about my own post, the property probably already has the zoning RaceTrac would want [gas station/car wash). This was likely granted many years ago, before Uptown began to develop.

My question is would the current zoning/special use permit lapse if the business stops operating for some period (a month, quarter or year)? That would cause the zoning process to start from scratch and to consider the current surrounding neighborhood.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 30 Jul 2019 09:56

It's not an odd location for a Race Trac honestly it's between two high capacity roads. We all, of course, think it's odd because the rest f the area is urbanizing and with that Central Market high-density project coming it seems odd but Race Trac wants those shoppers gas purchases as much as any gas station would.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 30 Jul 2019 09:58

DCAD says it's owned by the same LP that owns the CVS next door, which tells me they're not interested in building anything remotely urban here. However, it does seem like a small lot for Racetrac since they're known for their massive line of pumps and bigger-than-average beverage cases.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 30 Jul 2019 15:46

CORRECTION: The Nextdoor commenter said QT, not RaceTrac.

Regardless, I was thinking the lot size was small for that too. What if you include TxLC lot? That would be large and get you access to BOTH Lemmon Aves.

While that kind of deal doesn’t make sense to us development wannabes, it would make sense if the LP owned other far flung lots and said, “QT, you can have Lemmon/Cole if I get these six 20 year ground leases in Forney, Haslet, etc”

Still hoping this is just bad information.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 03 Oct 2019 12:27

uptown74 wrote:TaTa Asian Cuisine opened up in the space vacated by Gui Korean Japanese Bistro at 2719 Mckinney Ave.
It appears they had their soft opening on June 3.

TaTa just went ta-ta. The space is now Lover's Egg Roll. New signage was up yesterday. It's the same owner. I guess TaTa Asian Cuisine was not as popular as he hoped so he went with his original concept.

Lakewood2Uptown

Postby Lakewood2Uptown » 17 Oct 2019 17:32

The space at 2909 McKinney (formerly Vino 100) which has been empty for at about five years has signs of life. Painting and activity inside over the past week.

Lakewood2Uptown

Postby Lakewood2Uptown » 22 Oct 2019 18:14

The old Shell Shack location at 2916 McKinney had activity today and a guy who was painting said it is going to be Sweetie Pie's Pizza. The only Sweetie Pie's Pizza I could find was in PA but it has closed.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 22 Oct 2019 20:38

^^^ Close, it will be CutiePies Pizza. Here is their FB page.

https://m.facebook.com/CutiePiesPizza/

Lakewood2Uptown

Postby Lakewood2Uptown » 10 Nov 2019 22:43

Eastwood's Bar (3407 McKinney - between The Loon and Velvet Taco) has closed.

It seems like work on the new Primo's location has slowed to a crawl. I was told a couple of months ago the plan was to open in early December but I have my doubts.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 11 Nov 2019 08:57

Lakewood2Uptown wrote:Eastwood's Bar (3407 McKinney - between The Loon and Velvet Taco) has closed.

So another bar bites the dust. Any insight into why they're closing?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Nov 2019 11:36

I was out walking about this weekend in the Uptown area on both Saturday and Sunday and noticed that the Katy Trail (and Katy Trail icehouse) were teeming with traffic. McKinney Ave had an okay amount of foot traffic, and West Village was also decently busy, but it seems like these parts of town used to generate a lot more foot traffic several years ago when there weren't as many alternative walkable areas (or they weren't as developed as they are today).

I don't have any insight on Eastwood's. I do feel like Uptown, in general, is in this odd transitionary phase where it is no longer new and exciting, so it's likely drawing less of the commuter traffic. That and it is also having to compete with Lower Greenville, Deep Ellum, Bishop Arts, Downtown, and Trinity Groves these days. I think businesses in Uptown will have to rely more and more on local residents and office workers, rather than commuters. Ultimately, this is what you want in an urban neighborhood, but I can't say this has ever been successfully accomplished before.

Obviously Uptown still is and will continue to be a destination for commuters, but I really think we'll need to focus more on having enough residents and office works in the immediate vicinity to support these restaurants.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 11 Nov 2019 13:05

When I lived across the street, Eastwoods was always a good stop for Happy Hour but it definitely wasn't the hot late night place. The Loon was commonly busier. That whole stretch has great "local" bars but it's also awkwardly between the "cooler" bars farther south and the restaurants of West Village so the foot traffic is understandably less.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 11 Nov 2019 13:41

The entire stretch of McKinney could use a lot more high rise living thus density.

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 11 Nov 2019 13:42

Should improve once Central Market development goes. If it goes......

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Nov 2019 13:52

Cbdallas wrote:The entire stretch of McKinney could use a lot more high rise living thus density.

jetnd87 wrote:Should improve once Central Market development goes. If it goes......

Indeed. Uptown is definitely right on trick to become more dense, but, for now, we are still in a transitionary period, which might be tough for some businesses.

Central Market and Quandrangle developments will definitely help, though.

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 11 Nov 2019 14:46

Also curious as to when that plot of land + vacant building that was supposed to be the Dream Hotel will turn into something. Such a waste as it stands.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 11 Nov 2019 15:04

Don't forget there's also a development in the works for the corner where Jake's is right now...

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... las-tower/

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Nov 2019 12:54

Yeah as far as apartment leasing goes I've seen a significant number of people, mostly couples moving away from Uptown cause it became too much. They said it got too noisy and bar centric now things are closing so they want to follow development to other areas like Knox, Bishop Arts, Design District, Deep Ellum, Oak Lawn, etc. Funny enough the Uptown problem just jumped to Deep Ellum from Uptown but I agree with the above summations it's simply transitioning to a real neighborhood. Uptown was like Urban Disneyland for some when it started with postcard trolleys and Dallas's first version of walkable density.

Now other areas of town are working off iterations of what worked and didn't work in Uptown and there are new players in the Dallas market in terms of developers.

West End kinda a had something similar it was so cool when I was younger because it was a safe urban playground then swiftly outdoor malls and other developments outside of the CBD stole some of its thunder and the West End didn't have a lot of residential or office contained nearby to maintain the consumer traffic they once had. People came from miles around to visit West End. Now it too has to appease locals over that of just commuters. Which is another reason I am always relunanct to build out massive parking garages for suburbanites cause they will end up leaving for the next attraction.

Bishop Arts had such a fight when the city wanted to build a parking garage there so people from Plano and Frisco could patronize the restaurants but the Bishop Arts were meant to be community outpost not massive development like The Star of Frisco.

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 15 Nov 2019 07:54

Not the normal business opening posted here, but there's a Primrose daycare / pre-school in-progress at Uptown side of North St. Paul Street and Woodall Rogers near KWP. I take this as a very encouraging sign of the maturity and development of Uptown and the CBD / greater Downtown in general. Businesses like this are super conservative and only open when there's a critical mass of potential customers (workers and/or residents). Anyway, not the most scintillating opening, but I think a cool signpost of the neighborhoods.

eburress

Postby eburress » 15 Nov 2019 13:57

jetnd87 wrote:Not the normal business opening posted here, but there's a Primrose daycare / pre-school in-progress at Uptown side of North St. Paul Street and Woodall Rogers near KWP. I take this as a very encouraging sign of the maturity and development of Uptown and the CBD / greater Downtown in general. Businesses like this are super conservative and only open when there's a critical mass of potential customers (workers and/or residents). Anyway, not the most scintillating opening, but I think a cool signpost of the neighborhoods.

I think that's great news! Among other things it's a sign that Uptown has become a self-sustaining neighborhood that's not completely a victim of whatever is the latest fad/trend.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 15 Nov 2019 14:14

eburress wrote:
jetnd87 wrote:Not the normal business opening posted here, but there's a Primrose daycare / pre-school in-progress at Uptown side of North St. Paul Street and Woodall Rogers near KWP. I take this as a very encouraging sign of the maturity and development of Uptown and the CBD / greater Downtown in general. Businesses like this are super conservative and only open when there's a critical mass of potential customers (workers and/or residents). Anyway, not the most scintillating opening, but I think a cool signpost of the neighborhoods.

I think that's great news! Among other things it's a sign that Uptown has become a self-sustaining neighborhood that's not completely a victim of whatever is the latest fad/trend.

I forget where I saw this... But apparently the fastest growing age demographic in Uptown is 0-5. So you're starting to see a need for these types services in the area. Expect to see more family/child focused businesses coming to the core.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 15 Nov 2019 15:57

I'm planning to open up a boutique milk parlor in Uptown. I will call it....

Bottle Service

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 19 Nov 2019 21:33

THE LOON IS CLOSED!!!

Long live the Loon.

Here is the story.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... adwinners/

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 19 Nov 2019 21:51

Not the best location for foot traffic but I guess good for them for going bigger. The Loon was right next to Eastwoods. Wonder if a redevelopment is in the works.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 20 Nov 2019 08:32

Redblock wrote:THE LOON IS CLOSED!!!

Long live the Loon.

Here is the story.

But it sounds like it is moving, no?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 20 Nov 2019 09:12

exelone31 wrote:
Redblock wrote:THE LOON IS CLOSED!!!

Long live the Loon.

Here is the story.

But it sounds like it is moving, no?

Yes, it is moving...

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 20 Nov 2019 09:21

I really hope this works out for them but, as flyswatter said, there is less foot traffic in this area, and you won't get the same visibility that you would on McKinney Ave.

I do think that, in the long run, these things won't matter too much in Uptown. In the long run, I think businesses will need to be more self-sustaining and rely more and local traffic rather than commuter traffic, so having visibility off of McKinney Ave won't be as important once the neighborhood is more self-sustaining. I hope this move works out for them, but I think things will be slow for them until Uptown starts adding more residential to the immediate area.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Nov 2019 12:33

The good thing is the Loon was always a less than a flashy place. Its current location was an attempt at being more Uptown upfront but honestly, The Loon in the past has been a neighborhood bar and this could be a better return to that. A place where walkable regulars occupy the seats multiple days a week while the occasional newbie wanders in on a friendly recommendation. It just depends on if they can keep a large enough regular crowd that tips, that isn't focused on bottle service or overproduced cocktails. People that stop by to watch a game have a drink or beer and come without too much pretense. That Uptowny crowd that used to dominate the bar scene has moved to Deep Ellum so this could be a much better deal for everyone involved.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 20 Nov 2019 16:50

flyswatter wrote:The Loon was right next to Eastwoods. Wonder if a redevelopment is in the works.

Looks like a bar called "Gaslight" is replacing Eastwoods, which means this particular building is here to stay:
http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... -gaslight/

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 20 Nov 2019 18:06

DPatel304 wrote:
Looks like a bar called "Gaslight" is replacing Eastwoods, which means this particular building is here to stay:
http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... -gaslight/

Another "craft cocktail" bar in Uptown. Snore. I still think that part of Uptown is badly missing a beer bar a la Gingerman. Actually now that I think about it, the former Loon spot would be a decent spot for Gingerman to relocate to if they do in fact close for redevelopment.