Uptown Dallas: Business Openings and Closings

JohnMcKee

Re: Uptown Dallas: Business Openings and Closings

Postby JohnMcKee » 28 Jul 2017 11:46

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... o-closing/

Shocking no one Patrizio's in Uptown is closing. It was always empty and having eaten there once the food was super disappointing, definitely went downhill in the move from HPV.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 28 Jul 2017 14:21

A new look at the Hot Joy restaurant:
https://dallas.eater.com/2017/7/28/1605 ... pen-photos

I've never been to it, but people in San Antonio seem to love it, and it's great to see some more variety in restaurants in the Uptown area. I'm really curious to know what their long term plans are, though, both the restaurant and also the building. They have said this is a 'two year pop up' restaurant, so, in two years time, assuming things are going well, I'd imagine they would try and find a more permanent spot which would free up this plot of land once again.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 02 Aug 2017 17:35

A donut shop has opened on Allen Street near I Fratellli. It is called Urban Donut. Here is their website.

Www.urbandonutdallas.com

rasec33

Postby rasec33 » 03 Aug 2017 16:13

Naga Thai Kitchen & Bar Permanently closed in Victory Park! :( What happened? One of my favorite places to eat dinner before going to a Mav's or Stars game! It was not the best Thai food in town, but decent enough to keep me going there.
Why is it that Victory Parks is not opening new restaurants and retail fast enough or is able to keep the old ones open after their re branding? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Aug 2017 16:25

Not enough people around yet.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 03 Aug 2017 21:57

I think once Mesero and the new Tristan Simon restaurant opens it'll help change the perception of the area. Not to mention the movie theatre! I think VP is 6-12 months away from really changing.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 03 Aug 2017 22:52

rasec33 wrote:Naga Thai Kitchen & Bar Permanently closed in Victory Park! .................It was not the best Thai food in town, but decent enough to keep me going there.

That's why they closed. It's not the neighborhood. There are too many very good Thai options in central Dallas to just be mediocre and survive. In fact, Thai is one of the ethnic cuisines central Dallas does best. Si Lom, Mint, Malai Kitchen, Sakhuu, Saibadee, Crushcraft, Bangkok City, Pakpao, all within a short distance of Naga and all fantastic. Naga had bad reviews, and even though they're my neighbor, I tried to order from them online, got a confirmation, and then 45 MINUTES LATER got a random order cancellation for no reason. Hopefully something great will go into that space because it's going to be a hot location with all the new residential towers opening up within walking distance, all at once.
Last edited by Matt777 on 04 Aug 2017 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

PonyUp13

Postby PonyUp13 » 03 Aug 2017 23:37

I hate to lose food in Victory but Naga was totally inedible.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 03 Aug 2017 23:40

Kelley USA wrote:I think once Mesero and the new Tristan Simon restaurant opens it'll help change the perception of the area. Not to mention the movie theatre! I think VP is 6-12 months away from really changing.

Yep, I agree. The movie theater, grocery store, and there are three new bar/restaurants coming from some very successful teams. It's going to be very different in about a years time.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 06 Aug 2017 18:20

Naga is being sued for failure to pay rent. Plaintif is alleging damages of $200k-$1M. According to the suit, Naga abandoned the space.

Source: Dallas County case #DC-17-07816

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 06 Aug 2017 20:38

ArtVandelay wrote:Naga is being sued for failure to pay rent. Plaintif is alleging damages of $200k-$1M. According to the suit, Naga abandoned the space.

Source: Dallas County case #DC-17-07816

Wow.

muncien

Postby muncien » 07 Aug 2017 10:17

I haven't read the case, but that is interesting. Typically, under Texas law, the landlord puts lock on the door pretty quickly after failure to pay rent and eviction procedures are fairly simple. Hard to imagine a million dollars in damages... unless of course, the landlord let them operate for an exceedingly long time without paying.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Pike5370

Postby Pike5370 » 08 Aug 2017 13:45

muncien wrote:I haven't read the case, but that is interesting. Typically, under Texas law, the landlord puts lock on the door pretty quickly after failure to pay rent and eviction procedures are fairly simple. Hard to imagine a million dollars in damages... unless of course, the landlord let them operate for an exceedingly long time without paying.

Most commercial leases allow for acceleration of rents, i.e., the landlord can sue for past due rent and the balance of future rents, hence why the claimed amount can be pretty large even for small tenants. This is not unlike how a lender can sue for past due mortgage payments and the unpaid balance; in both situations the tenant or borrower have agreed to make payments over time. Also, it is possible that the tenant is current on rent payments but has breached the lease in some other manner - for example, failure to operate is an important aspect in a retail lease where percentage rent and tenant mix are critical - and such breach may also allow the landlord to accelerate rents.

I am not an expert on Texas landlord-tenant law, but courts in most states will cap the judgment awarded to a landlord by making market-based assumptions (with experts' testimony) on how long it will take to re-let the property, market rents and costs to procure the new tenant (construction allowances, commissions, etc.). Whether the lease obligates the landlord to re-let the premises or not, and whether Texas law requires the landlord to do so will both have bearing on the adjudication and judgment awarded to the landlord.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 10 Aug 2017 12:48

Max's Wine Dive in West Village has closed.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 30 Oct 2017 12:18

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 30 Oct 2017 12:43

Wow, surprising. I never checked it out, but the San Antonio one seemed to have a lot of good reviews, so this seemed like it would be well received here.

On the plus side, that frees up this building and plot of land for something else.

trueicon

Postby trueicon » 30 Oct 2017 12:59

flyswatter wrote:Hot Joy has already closed...

http://www.dallasobserver.com/restauran ... y-10022134

Usually I agree with the Dallas Observer, but the original review that may have led to the closure of Hot Joy seemed like quite the hit job. The biggest flaw, according to my read of the Observer review, is that "white people owning a pan-asian restaurant is racist!". I'm sure there's more to it than that, but the review seemed overly harsh for a concept that openly boasted that it is a temporary "pop up", where tweaks are to be expected.

Shame, because I was looking forward to trying one of their Tiki drinks.

ForumFollowsFunction

Postby ForumFollowsFunction » 31 Oct 2017 13:43

I tried it once. The food was mediocre and the service was downright bad. The decor was cool though. I had high hopes as well when it first opened, but for those who never made it I promise you didn’t miss much.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 01 Nov 2017 11:22

“We have the building for two years and then it’s going to be torn down,” he says. “The space has so much flexibility. It used to be a Texas Land & Cattle.” The restaurant group plans on turning the space into another pop-up, but in the meantime will be using it to host private holiday events in.

Unfortunately, we are still stuck with this building for two years..

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 01 Nov 2017 12:41

I hope something goes in there. If not, we have two large empty buildings that will be sitting for awhile at one of, if not the busiest, cross streets in Uptown.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 01 Nov 2017 13:08

flyswatter wrote:I hope something goes in there. If not, we have two large empty buildings that will be sitting for awhile at one of, if not the busiest, cross streets in Uptown.

Yeah, this particular stretch is definitely an eye-sore. The former Hot Joy space, the Shell gas station, the CVS, and the empty former Minyard's space.

At the same time, I feel that Uptown is plenty successful enough where it will continue to be a huge hit, even with dead spaces such as these. Even if we have to wait a couple years for these lots to be re-developed, I'm okay with it, as long as the development is worth the wait. If Uptown was still new and coming into its own and these buildings would either make or break the area, I'd be more concerned, but Uptown will continue to fill up, these buildings will continue to become more valuable, meaning people can justify building something better when the time is right.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 13 Nov 2017 23:22

Sambuca Uptown is closing in February...

www.dallasobserver.com/amp/restaurants/ ... g-10067604

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 25 Nov 2017 22:10

The Village Burger Bar will soon have a second Uptown location. They are taking the ground floor space at the McKinney and St. Paul corner of the 1845 Woodall Rodgers Freeway building. I am not sure if this building is still called Advancial Tower now or not.

They will open in late Dec. or early Jan. and VBB will keep their West Village location.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 25 Nov 2017 22:45

Redblock wrote:The Village Burger Bar will soon have a second Uptown location. They are taking the ground floor space at the McKinney and St. Paul corner of the 1845 Woodall Rodgers Freeway building. I am not sure if this building is still called Advancial Tower now or not.

They will open in late Dec. or early Jan. and VBB will keep their West Village location.

Makes sense now that I realize Village Burger Bar is a Firebird brand. Firebird Restaurant Group purchased the Advancial tower almost 2 years ago and I assumed they would open a Snuffer's or some new concept there.

Village Burger should do well.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 29 Nov 2017 11:02

Sallio will open Thursday, Nov. 30 in the former Patrizio space at McKinney Plaza.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 Nov 2017 11:43

At least the redesign of the space is more transparent as well. Although I imagine these properties will be bought and torn down for a tower within the next two years.
29dUizdyRyO52%01er%ViA.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 29 Nov 2017 11:57

Had no idea they were redesigning that building. Is it still going to be Avenu or some night club, or is it changing completely?

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 29 Nov 2017 13:24

As I have watched the exterior remodel, I was thinking that a buyout of this block and redevelopment as a mid-rise has already been proposed. What say ye citizens of La Tour? Any news?

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 29 Nov 2017 18:48

DPatel304 wrote:Had no idea they were redesigning that building. Is it still going to be Avenu or some night club, or is it changing completely?

It's going to be a new nightclub called Theory. :|

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... ub-uptown/

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 30 Nov 2017 09:31

Reading that article makes me want to puke and I go to clubs and bars every weekend. I like what they did to the building though. At least if it fails it could be adapted to a nice restaurant/bar. Although I would gladly trade this for "The Den". Keeping in mind I do not frequent uptown bars.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Dec 2017 00:49

A former steakhouse spot in Uptown Dallas will soon be home to a glitzy new restaurant and lounge serving Italian American food. Called Pazzo Uptown, it's going into 2680 Cedar Springs Rd., in the former Place at Perry's location, and it aims to be open before the holidays.

Pazzo will be two concepts in one.

"It will be an American-Italian restaurant with a lounge attached to it, with high-energy nightlife," says spokesperson Jill Berger. "On one side, it'll be a restaurant serving casual Italian food. On the other side, there'll be a lounge. With a lounge and a restaurant under one roof, it's the best of both worlds."

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... panwaffle/

Businesses in this particular area always seem to struggle, so it'll be interesting to see how this new restaurant will fare. I think the buildings across the street (wells fargo, Texas De Brazil, Self Storage) need to be redeveloped and interact much better with the Katy Trail.

PonyUp13

Postby PonyUp13 » 10 Dec 2017 17:19

Completely anecdotally, but my friends that live in along the Cedar Springs corridor (Villa Rosa, Trianon, etc) don’t walk hardly anywhere compared to friends along the McKinney corrido. So it doesn’t surprise me the Villa Rosa restaurants struggle.

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 10 Dec 2017 17:39

So I didnt see this myself, but a friend told me that the Uptown Urban Market in the Villa Rosa appeared to be cleared out, doors locked,, and a sign on the door for failure to pay... rent? im guessing. Bummer!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Dec 2017 17:52

PonyUp13 wrote:Completely anecdotally, but my friends that live in along the Cedar Springs corridor (Villa Rosa, Trianon, etc) don’t walk hardly anywhere compared to friends along the McKinney corrido. So it doesn’t surprise me the Villa Rosa restaurants struggle.

This doesn't surprise me. I used to walk past this area a lot, and it was always pretty dead, despite the high number of apartments in the area. I'm surprised there isn't more being done to encourage some of the Katy Trail foot traffic to spill over into Uptown.

uptown74 wrote:So I didnt see this myself, but a friend told me that the Uptown Urban Market in the Villa Rosa appeared to be cleared out, doors locked,, and a sign on the door for failure to pay... rent? im guessing. Bummer!

I'm not surprised. Every time I went, the place wasn't that busy, and I'm pretty sure at least one of the food stands closed down a few months ago (maybe it was Fireside pies?). I would like to see another food hall open in the area, but it needs to be more central, and much bigger with more tenants. It would be cool to see both the Den and maybe even Jake's Hamburger's redeveloped into a food hall with the surface parking lot used for food trucks and outdoor seating.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 05 Jan 2018 15:04

Cafe Express in M-Line Tower is opening on Monday, Jan. 8.

MrsKravitz

Postby MrsKravitz » 11 Jan 2018 00:29

Is cafe express really open? We've been waiting and watching! Must have missed it. Signs only said "now hiring". Yay!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Jan 2018 12:03

The Dallas City Council agreed Wednesday to sell a Routh Street dead-end to the Katy Trail Ice House for almost a quarter of a million dollars — over the objections of the council member who represents that part of town.

The Ice House agreed to pay the city $225,358 for the small stretch of Routh that runs into the trail off Woodrow Avenue, where the red Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad car's parked. The zoning consultants from Dallas firm Masterplan, representing the popular hangout's ownership, said the Ice House wants to merge the two pieces of properties it owns along the trail that are divided by the dead-end. Dallas Cothrum, Masterplan's CEO, said the Ice House needs to expand its kitchen.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas- ... -ice-house

I really feel this particular 'dead-end' has been highly under-utilized for quite sometime. This is probably the liveliest part of the Katy Trail, but nothing is being done to connect the trail to Routh street. There's no reason why the walkers/bikers on the trail can't start to spillover more into Uptown down Routh street all the way to McKinney Ave).

Anyway, I believe the owners of Katy Trail own the land that previously housed Company Cafe, so now it seems they have acquired the missing piece between the two pieces of land. I really hope they have something big in mind that really helps bring some traffic off of the trail and into Uptown and is more than just a bar expansion.

eburress

Postby eburress » 11 Jan 2018 12:21

I can see the Katy Trail Icehouse people expanding their kitchen into the space currently occupied by their parking lot/valet area, but hopefully that doesn't mean they're going to knock down the building next door, turning all that space along the Katy Trail towards Texas de Brazil into a big parking lot.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Jan 2018 12:59

eburress wrote:I can see the Katy Trail Icehouse people expanding their kitchen into the space currently occupied by their parking lot/valet area, but hopefully that doesn't mean they're going to knock down the building next door, turning all that space along the Katy Trail towards Texas de Brazil into a big parking lot.

I certainly hope not. Maybe my expectations are too high, but I think it would be cool to get rid of the surface lots for both the Ice House and former Company Cafe and fill the space with food trucks/stalls and lots of outdoor seating and maybe even put a few vendors inside the old Company Cafe building. It would be a nice bonus if it were all one big venue so you could drink beer while eating at one of these food trucks too, and perhaps a rooftop seating area could be added to the company cafe building. I know this is a bit ambitious, but this area could have a lot going for it (more than it already does) if the owners were to think beyond just trying to be a bar along a trail.

Is there some sort of parking minimum that is required by these establishments? If not, I don't really see the need for either parking lot. I really doubt the added parking space is really improving business all that much.

EDIT: I feel like there is a reason why they've let Company Cafe sit idle for so long, and it's because they needed this piece of land and they have something bigger in mind. If they just wanted to expand the Icehouse kitchen and turn Company Cafe into parking, I feel like they would have done that a couple years ago. This is all just speculation though.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 11 Jan 2018 14:38

I propose Ice House Condo tower on the old Company Cafe lot.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Jan 2018 15:07

Keep mind there is a lot of pushback on places like the Ice House opening letting alone expanding. Many residents think these places ruin the tranquility of the trail and prefer a secluded trail away from bars and activity. I went to Atlanta last year and tried one of their trails and it has a wonderful balance of tranquil trail and lively bars. I imagine if they propose expanding across and if they need additional permits through the council we will hear about it from certain groups.

Benjamin

Postby Benjamin » 12 Jan 2018 09:00

Walked in late to the Oak Lawn committee meeting on Tuesday, but I think this was being discussed and I think we're going to see a parking lot. Maybe someone else can confirm

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 23 Jan 2018 18:49

Village Burger Bar at Mckinney and St. Paul opened for business today. Parking is allowed in the building garage or you can take the trolley.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 23 Jan 2018 22:21

Redblock wrote:Village Burger Bar at Mckinney and St. Paul opened for business today. Parking is allowed in the building garage or you can take the trolley.

Didn't know that was going to happen, good news. I can walk there from work.

MrsKravitz

Postby MrsKravitz » 26 Feb 2018 10:25

https://www.guidelive.com/bars-and-cock ... 1504242182

McKinney Avenue Tavern closed

Not sure if this was planned/ expected as part of new development but personally I think it’s great news

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Feb 2018 10:49

I will miss this bar it still was one of the most approachable bars on McKinney Ave. Everything else was so douche oriented this bar at least had some room to breath and had the local feel.

I don't think the land would be big enough for a bigger development like Idle Rich is doing. It seems the only thing that could happen is another owner opening something else here or a teardown and another similarly sized structure with a better interior layout. I expect it will sell to an operator for a new restaurant with Valet just like Uptown Dallas Inc would prefer.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 26 Feb 2018 11:09

I wonder what it would be like to live there.... parking would make a decent small yard/garden, the right fence would be a monumental decision, would have to deck and cover the roof.

Haretip

Postby Haretip » 26 Feb 2018 12:04

I don't think Mack owned the building. DCAD has the real estate owner listed as M.M. Whitewing Holdings and a Business Personal Property account is shown for McKinney Avenue Tavern.

The building is historic and the size of the lot makes any substantial redevelopment difficult. Hopefully a new establishment can make a go of it.

I know this was an early Dixie House restaurant (Gene Street/Phil Cobb) but not sure if it was the first one. It was proposed as the first carbarn for McKinney Avenue Transit Authority. It was built as a pie bakery and at one time was a speakeasy/nightclub that got shot up with a tommy gun. Until they put in the new corrugated tin ceiling, you could still see bullet holes in original the pressed tin ceiling.
“A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man!” - Jebediah Springfield

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 26 Feb 2018 12:12

I'm not sure what this place was like Fri/Sat nights, but I never had a problem with this bar. I liked that it had a more approachable atmosphere.

I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of restaurant here that turns the surface parking spots into an extended patio.