Uptown Dallas: Business Openings and Closings

Kelley USA

Re: Uptown Dallas: Business Openings and Closings

Postby Kelley USA » 01 May 2019 14:39

Renfield's Corner in Uptown is closing...

https://dallas.eater.com/2019/5/1/18525 ... ner-closes

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 01 May 2019 15:09

I'm really excited to see what will become of Uptown now that the party scene is leaving the area. I'd imagine (and hope) that there will still be a decent amount of bars that stick around, but they'll have more of a 'neighborhood bar' type of vibe.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 01 May 2019 17:20

Wow.

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 01 May 2019 20:33

DPatel304 wrote:I'm really excited to see what will become of Uptown now that the party scene is leaving the area. I'd imagine (and hope) that there will still be a decent amount of bars that stick around, but they'll have more of a 'neighborhood bar' type of vibe.

Is the party scene really leaving??? One Sette was a mess this past Sunday night, and a major downgrade from Idle Rich Pub.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 01 May 2019 21:34

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. The party scene will likely still be around for the foreseeable future, but both Renfields and Clutch are confirmed to be leaving the area this year. Once Clutch opens in Deep Ellum, I imagine there will be quite a lot people shifting to the Deep Ellum area (specifically the northern portion around Bottled Blonde).

dzh

Postby dzh » 02 May 2019 07:46

I heard a rumor that Social House was about to sign a lease near Bottled Blonde. Not quite sure if that came to fruition or not though.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 02 May 2019 08:28

The party scene will not leave Uptown; it will be for grown folks, and aint no party like a grown folks party.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 02 May 2019 09:10

dzh wrote:I heard a rumor that Social House was about to sign a lease near Bottled Blonde. Not quite sure if that came to fruition or not though.

Oh wow, that's interesting. This wouldn't surprise me at all, this particular area has definitely become Uptown 2.0.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 09 May 2019 17:08

Miriam Cocina Latina is open for (currently) dinner meals now at the former Lark On The Park and also MIXT is open at M&O Tower.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 10 May 2019 00:02

CTroyMathis wrote:Miriam Cocina Latina is open for (currently) dinner meals now at the former Lark On The Park and also MIXT is open at M&O Tower.

Here is the menu for Miriam's. It is open for dinner only.

https://www.miriamcocina.com/menu

Tap on the page to get it to open.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 15 May 2019 17:25

Miriam Cocina Latina has upped to include their lunch now as well. Don’t know what exact day they started, but, walked by early this afternoon and they were game on inside and out.

beepboopdtown

Postby beepboopdtown » 22 May 2019 11:56

Looks like Abacus is closing on June 1. New concept to open "late this summer." Source: @AbacusDallas instagram

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 22 May 2019 17:34

Las Palmas is now open in the old Social House on Routh Street.

https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/20 ... ktfejymJRk

willyk

Postby willyk » 01 Jun 2019 22:11

Mockingbird Diner Closes

Was it the staff? The size? Restaurateur 'befuddled' over Mockingbird Diner's closure

https://www.guidelive.com/food-and-drink/2019/06/01/mockingbird-diner-closed-near-dallas-love-field-airport

Anybody else try this place besides me? The ownership was arrogant and rude.

You might think a diner near the airport would be a good place for late night breakfast, eh? Every real diner I know does it. Apparently a lot of other people thought the same thing, because the owner put a sign on the door that said, “We don’t serve breakfast after 11:00 a.m. If you want breakfast go someplace else.”

Diners are supposed to be welcoming, whaddya-havin-hon? places. With an attitude like that, no wonder this place tanked.

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 02 Jun 2019 04:40

willyk wrote:Mockingbird Diner Closes

Was it the staff? The size? Restaurateur 'befuddled' over Mockingbird Diner's closure

https://www.guidelive.com/food-and-drink/2019/06/01/mockingbird-diner-closed-near-dallas-love-field-airport

You might think a diner near the airport would be a good place for late night breakfast, eh? Every real diner I know does it. Apparently a lot of other people thought the same thing, because the owner put a sign on the door that said, “We don’t serve breakfast after 11:00 a.m. If you want breakfast go someplace else.”

Diners are supposed to be welcoming, whaddya-havin-hon? places. With an attitude like that, no wonder this place tanked.

I had been there once shortly after it first opened and the experience was decent at the time. I had not realize the decline in service, I find it funny that anytime a restaurant closes abruptly you always hear an excuse blaming outside factors and not poor management of the facility.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 02 Jun 2019 10:38

Went twice, disappointed both times by overpriced small portions and bad service. I've had better omelettes on airplanes. Sounds like it was poorly run and they're seeking a scape goat.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 Jun 2019 13:13

The rotation in staff suggests poor management and or staff not making enough money. If the waiters were always leaving then the tips may have lousy based on a number of factors including mediocre food. A few months after it opened I was there and the hostess was very rude. It was busy so we asked if sitting at the bar was ok cause there was more than a few spots there and the hostess said NO YOU WILL JUST HAVE TO WAIT THANKS. Very curt and gave us a dirty look for even asking such a crazy question. We honestly were just asking but I am assuming they were having a bad morning and tired of people asking such a question.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 02 Jun 2019 21:23

I went with friends one weekend between 11am and noon, expecting to be able to get breakfast/brunch. Couldn't, in a "diner," get breakfast at 11:30am on a weekend. So, we all ordered lunch options. The menu was tired and the food was very mediocre and we never had an urge to go back.

This location should become a real diner, open 24/7, and for God's sake be able to serve an egg and toast after 11am if you're going to call yourself a diner. A retro air-travel themed diner would be cool being right at the entrance of Love Field.

Doesn't this dude also have a serious history of being combative with customers? I remember a boycott of Maple and Motor in the gay community some years back.

willyk

Postby willyk » 03 Jun 2019 02:01

A reincarnation of the old Lucas B&B is what this building needs.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 03 Jun 2019 13:23

Matt777 wrote:

I went with friends one weekend between 11am and noon, expecting to be able to get breakfast/brunch. Couldn't, in a "diner," get breakfast at 11:30am on a weekend. So, we all ordered lunch options. The menu was tired and the food was very mediocre and we never had an urge to go back.

This location should become a real diner, open 24/7, and for God's sake be able to serve an egg and toast after 11am if you're going to call yourself a diner. A retro air-travel themed diner would be cool being right at the entrance of Love Field.

Doesn't this dude also have a serious history of being combative with customers? I remember a boycott of Maple and Motor in the gay community some years back.

Yeah, he's an ass-hat. Kids aren't much welcome at Maple & Motor either.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 03 Jun 2019 13:59

Shiva's Fine Indian Bar And Grill is moving to Downtown off Ross And Griffin. Did the lowest Greenville location shut down?

Also, the i-fratelli in the same vecinity is almost complete.

eburress

Postby eburress » 03 Jun 2019 14:58

^^ That's great for Downtown but a bummer for us Lower Greenville/Knox Henderson folks.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 03 Jun 2019 16:36

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Shiva's Fine Indian Bar And Grill is moving to Downtown off Ross And Griffin. Did the lowest Greenville location shut down?

Odd move, but we will see if they retool. On Greenville, they were only open for dinner and prices were high. Most dining dollars are spent during lunch Downtown. If they did an Indian buffet during lunch they would do great with the Downtown office crowd and have no competition. Spice in the City does not offer a lunch buffet, and it's also Indian/Mex fusion.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 03 Jun 2019 16:42

This is a lesser known tenant but Two Sisters Catering which was located in a small retail strip on Monticello between Cole and McKinney Ave has moved their catering operation to Downtown Dallas. They didn't say where though.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 03 Jun 2019 16:43

Matt777 wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Shiva's Fine Indian Bar And Grill is moving to Downtown off Ross And Griffin. Did the lowest Greenville location shut down?

Odd move, but we will see if they retool. On Greenville, they were only open for dinner and prices were high. Most dining dollars are spent during lunch Downtown. If they did an Indian buffet during lunch they would do great with the Downtown office crowd and have no competition. Spice in the City does not offer a lunch buffet, and it's also Indian/Mex fusion.

I love Spice in the City, but yes - it's not traditional Indian (if that's even a thing?). A lunch buffet would be great.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 03 Jun 2019 19:28

cowboyeagle05 wrote:This is a lesser known tenant but Two Sisters Catering which was located in a small retail strip on Monticello between Cole and McKinney Ave has moved their catering operation to Downtown Dallas. They didn't say where though.

I’ve been wondering when this little center would turn over to accommodate the new residential on two sides of it and the success of the two other corners (Henry’s and Chelsea Corner). Is this the beginning?

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 04 Jun 2019 13:30

TaTa Asian Cuisine opened up in the space vacated by Gui Korean Japanese Bistro at 2719 Mckinney Ave.
It appears they had their soft opening on June 3.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 14 Jun 2019 14:39

Foxtrot corner store has set a planned opening date of Tuesday, June 25.

Here is a DMN article.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... rsity-park

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 16 Jun 2019 09:23

Encouraging signs of a city fully emerging from dormancy, this infusion of corner store concepts and smaller grocers from around the country seems to be reaching the point at which time hometown innovators will perfect an array of models filling every niche channel as directed by the needs downtown's various residential neighborhoods. The process that's occurring in Dallas right now will result in a delivery system ideally suited to the entire sunbelt.

This would be the time for Eatzi's to get back into the expansion game. Trinity Groves experiments have had more than enough time to show what can be done with retail test kitchens - it's time to bundle the two and spread. Dean & DeLuca, Eataly, Royal Blue, whatever

Lakewood2Uptown

Postby Lakewood2Uptown » 16 Jun 2019 14:07

Was told the Gingerman sold and will shutdown at the end of the year. This makes me very sad.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 16 Jun 2019 15:15

Lakewood2Uptown wrote:Was told the Gingerman sold and will shutdown at the end of the year. This makes me very sad.

That's a little surprising, are they not doing well anymore?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 16 Jun 2019 23:50

Wow, that's awful news. With Uptown in a transition stage, I was really hoping the party scene would eventually leave and we'd be left with a few 'neighborhood bars'. That still will likely happen, I'm just sad we have lost Idle Rich and are now going to lose Gingerman.

I don't know how well they are doing, but I was actually there a couple weekends ago on a Saturday night, and it seemed to still be pretty lively, FWIW.

EDIT: Also, is this the original Gingerman location? It's the first location I knew about, but I also know they have locations in other cities, so I wasn't sure where the original was.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 17 Jun 2019 06:24

I think it's the original, from, like, before the turn of the century.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 17 Jun 2019 08:14

Dang, that's a real bummer. I wonder what that means for the franchise in general?

That was a really cool bar and hopefully whatever takes its place (if anything) maintains the same vibe.

Ditto to DPatel, losing Idle Rich and Gingerman stings.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 17 Jun 2019 11:07

tamtagon wrote:I think it's the original, from, like, before the turn of the century.

Uptown was the first Gingerman in DFW, but it's not the original.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 Jun 2019 11:24

I assume the building sold to another planned business?

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 17 Jun 2019 19:42

DPatel304 wrote:Wow, that's awful news. With Uptown in a transition stage, I was really hoping the party scene would eventually leave and we'd be left with a few 'neighborhood bars'. That still will likely happen, I'm just sad we have lost Idle Rich and are now going to lose Gingerman.

I don't know how well they are doing, but I was actually there a couple weekends ago on a Saturday night, and it seemed to still be pretty lively, FWIW.

EDIT: Also, is this the original Gingerman location? It's the first location I knew about, but I also know they have locations in other cities, so I wasn't sure where the original was.

.and dont forget about Renfields's Corner.. I am really not liking this trend lately.
Even Nickel and Rye has resorted to loud thumping DJs on the weekend, and that place used to have a more chill, pub-like vibe.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 17 Jun 2019 21:40

Doesn't it seem obvious that the Gingerman closing might have something to do with the property it sits on being redeveloped for high rise, and not necessarily them doing well or not? It looks like a perfectly sized parcel for a highrise apartment building.

It will be sad to see them go.

eburress

Postby eburress » 17 Jun 2019 22:55

That's pretty much the plan the Concrete Cowboy/Clutch (and the parking lot behind it) block. You could be on to something. :)

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 18 Jun 2019 09:08

I don't think Gingerman corporate sold, I think just the property did. The Gingerman just opened a brand new location in Las Colinas about 3 weeks ago. Assuming a new restaurant or developer wanted the property?!

muncien

Postby muncien » 18 Jun 2019 10:34

Matt777 wrote:Doesn't it seem obvious that the Gingerman closing might have something to do with the property it sits on being redeveloped for high rise, and not necessarily them doing well or not? It looks like a perfectly sized parcel for a highrise apartment building.

It will be sad to see them go.

That would be something I never would have expected just five years ago. But now, it just seems like the next logical domino to fall. It's crazy all the activity and demand over there.

Bummer loosing Gingerman though... This has always been one of my favorite stops.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 20 Jun 2019 16:06

If it's for tower, I'm okay with that. .. I hope there's retail.

Gingerman was alright to me. Blackfriars I do love tho.

Lakewood2Uptown

Postby Lakewood2Uptown » 20 Jun 2019 19:43

Sorry for the late reply. The Uptown location was doing fine, but I'm told the owner got an offer they couldn't refuse. The good news is it will be open the rest of the year so we can enjoy it a little longer.

A question for the Uptown vets, is Gingerman or Christie's the oldest existing bar in Uptown?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 21 Jun 2019 00:28

Lakewood2Uptown wrote:Sorry for the late reply. The Uptown location was doing fine, but I'm told the owner got an offer they couldn't refuse. The good news is it will be open the rest of the year so we can enjoy it a little longer.

Thanks for the intel. I wonder if they will plan to relocate somewhere nearby? I'm sure another location in Uptown might make the most sense, but I think this might also be a good fit Downtown as well.

rasec33

Postby rasec33 » 21 Jun 2019 05:28

So sad to see the Gingerman go! :cry: So many good memories from that place! Will be greatly missed!

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 24 Jun 2019 19:08

CTroyMathis wrote:Circo will die probably.

So, put the HRC back where it's supposed to be. On McKinney Ave where it was before, only with a tower over it. Throw in a golden grasshopper and palms, too.

I do believe Circo just closed after last night. . .

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 25 Jun 2019 08:42

Sounds like Circo was an absolute s show.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaura ... r-11682462

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 Jun 2019 10:04

Sounds like working for Turkish Mike at Alto211 and Butler Brothers...

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 25 Jun 2019 10:32

Went to Foxtrot Corner Market on McKinney this morning for their grand opening (hey, they were giving out free coffee!). The store itself is fine, but what I really liked was the store's integration with the pedestrian realm. The patio is the real star of the show, and there was a nice bustle with lots of folks walking their dogs to and fro.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 25 Jun 2019 10:48

Yay!