Uptown Dallas: Central Market at McKinney and Lemmon

Tivo_Kenevil

Re: Uptown Dallas: Central Market at McKinney and Lemmon

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 04 May 2018 15:25

I hope we get a residential tower with dark brick (almost black).

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 04 May 2018 21:23

Like Booker T. downtown? That would be nice. But why 2020? ^^^

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 06 May 2018 11:28

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:I hope we get a residential tower with dark brick (almost black).

That could be very attractive, just glad they are rethinking what is currently there and will make an improvement. Too bad about the property across the street.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 06 May 2018 15:59

With the land the Walgreens is on being attached to this property. I'd love to see that lot re-developed as well. If we had at least one side of McKinney more urban through that block. It would really help connect West Village to the rest of Uptown. Right now it just feels separated.
Last edited by R1070 on 06 May 2018 21:03, edited 2 times in total.

Mr. Amsterdam

Postby Mr. Amsterdam » 06 May 2018 17:02

R1070 wrote:The the land the Walgreens is on being attached to this property. I'd love to see that lot re-developed as well. If we had at least one side of McKinney more urban through that block. It would really help connect West Village to the rest of Uptown. Right now it just feels separated.

You bring up a good point about West Village being a little isolated. That's probably partly why I didn't venture into West Village much when I lived in State Thomas. It just felt like a different neighborhood because of Lemon, Minyard's and Walgreens!
1999 - 2017

eburress

Postby eburress » 07 May 2018 08:55

Mr. Amsterdam wrote:
R1070 wrote:The the land the Walgreens is on being attached to this property. I'd love to see that lot re-developed as well. If we had at least one side of McKinney more urban through that block. It would really help connect West Village to the rest of Uptown. Right now it just feels separated.

You bring up a good point about West Village being a little isolated. That's probably partly why I didn't venture into West Village much when I lived in State Thomas. It just felt like a different neighborhood because of Lemon, Minyard's and Walgreens!

I find that too. It's not very easy to walk to the West Village from State Thomas and so if get in my car to go somewhere, frequently it's somewhere other than WV.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 07 May 2018 20:23

A decent sidewalk system would help, especially along McKinney but that only seems to come along one property at a time.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 08 May 2018 18:59

A lot of that landscaping along McKinney could be torn out to put in better sidewalks if the city worked with the property owners. The section by the Trophy Room is the worst section.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Jul 2018 18:48

What's up with the empty grocery store in a primo Uptown Dallas spot? Curious Texas finds out

https://www.dallasnews.com/life/curious ... exas-finds

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 04 Jul 2018 10:30

“Curious Texas finds out” - “H-E-B bought the store when it closed and immediately said it planned to reopen it as a Central Market. Unfortunately, there is no clear answer as to when.”

Great job there DMN.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 04 Jul 2018 10:56

Tnexster wrote:https://www.dallasnews.com/life/curious-texas/2018/07/03/empty-grocery-store-primo-uptown-dallas-spot-curious-texas-finds

"All I can tell you at this point is we are in [the] design phase with the developer and look forward to bringing our customers a true culinary destination," said Mabrie Jackson, a spokeswoman for H-E-B and Central Market in Dallas.

I'm wondering about this location now, thinking/hoping the design phase could include a new corporate office for Central Market in addition to the 'true culinary destination' HEB will throw down.

This sure would be a great office location for a company needing to test urban culinary destination concepts that underwrite successful expansions in other Sunbelt Cities. We could see as much (partially automated) stock room space for online pick-up/take-out orders as regular retail shelves. HEB could pioneer the brick & mortar - online hybrid in this neighborhood.

Corporate jobs are upstairs of the hotel which is upstairs of the true culinary destination and online order pick up and delivery bays.

I really hope HEB is planning the make this location the site of industry innovation. Amazon Whole Foods and WalMart SuperCenter have not been able to overpower HEB, it's been the other way 'round. I'm going to envision two ground level floors for the grocery store, 250 hotel rooms and ~100-200,000 sq ft office for brand decision making.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 04 Jul 2018 17:28

^HEB will not move to Dallas

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 04 Jul 2018 17:38

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:^HEB will not move to Dallas

I certainly hope San Antonio will be headquarter of (annual revenue $23 Billion) HEB forever; HEB's Central Market Brand is already HQed in Dallas, I'm hoping McKinney becomes that HEB brand main office.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 05 Jul 2018 02:16

If anything, Waxahachie should have the HEB office since Waxahachie is the only town in the Metroplex with an HEB.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 05 Jul 2018 22:03

joshua.dodd wrote:If anything, Waxahachie should have the HEB office since Waxahachie is the only town in the Metroplex with an HEB.

Burleson has one too.

Lakewood2Uptown

Postby Lakewood2Uptown » 06 Jul 2018 23:23

There are several HEB locations in the outer burbs - Waxahachie, Burleson, Ennis, Cleburne and Granbury.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 07 Jul 2018 06:37

Surely the new plans do not involve the current building? It has to cost more to have security/maintain the building than to just bulldoze it?

SlandersonCooper

Postby SlandersonCooper » 07 Jul 2018 15:23

Lakewood2Uptown wrote:There are several HEB locations in the outer burbs - Waxahachie, Burleson, Ennis, Cleburne and Granbury.

...as well as an upcoming Mansfield location anchoring planned mixed-use development @ NEC US 287 & East Broad:

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/mansfield-news-mirror/mnm-news/article208581834.html

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Jul 2018 08:48

flyswatter wrote:Surely the new plans do not involve the current building? It has to cost more to have security/maintain the building than to just bulldoze it?

Well according to HEB they are in the design phase so it is not too far off and sometimes it's cheaper to maintain than having to dig up the foundation's and utilities and file paperwork to demo etc when you plan to start construction in a year or so.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 12 Oct 2018 00:46

cowboyeagle05 wrote:
flyswatter wrote:Surely the new plans do not involve the current building? It has to cost more to have security/maintain the building than to just bulldoze it?

Well according to HEB they are in the design phase so it is not too far off and sometimes it's cheaper to maintain than having to dig up the foundation's and utilities and file paperwork to demo etc when you plan to start construction in a year or so.

A truck was in the parking lot on Thursday drilling cores. Maybe something is going to happen soon.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 15 Oct 2018 11:11

I noticed that the truck had moved around doing multiple samples so maybe progress is happening.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 15 Oct 2018 12:11

Any chance HEB is coming up with a new Central Market concept store for this site? I don't remember how long HEB circled around Houston before moving into the market, but for some reason it seems like the move into North Texas is taking longer.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 19 Oct 2018 07:33

And this one:

Uptown Dallas' new Central Market store will anchor a high-rise mixed-use project
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... se-project

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 19 Oct 2018 07:51

Exciting news! Now, if we could only get rid of the suburban style properties surrounding this new mixed use project.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 19 Oct 2018 08:15

This looks like they might exceed my expectations for this development. So excited to see this get done.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 19 Oct 2018 08:50

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 19 Oct 2018 09:24

Very nice!!! Worth the wait. And a 2 acre public green space on the roof!! The only thing that could make this better is a residential tower. The only thing that is left to see is the way the other sides of the development interact with the street. The article says there will be both underground and above ground parking. I'm hoping the above ground parking is nicely hidden and doesn't dominate.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 19 Oct 2018 09:37

So it looks like to date the largest Central Market is about 85K sq ft. If this one is say 90K sq ft then that gives us an additional 60K sq ft of retail in this development. Considering that none of the additional retail space will be street level that sure seems like quite a task. I'll be curious to see how they position that additional space and how they make it visible. The article mentioned that some of it would face the green space on the roof which could be cool...

Absolutely love this though!!

trueicon

Postby trueicon » 19 Oct 2018 09:42

This is pretty much the "best case scenario" for the site and proves the wait was worth it. Awesome development!

clubtokyo

Postby clubtokyo » 19 Oct 2018 09:43

This will be a really good addition for Dallas, I like it!

eburress

Postby eburress » 19 Oct 2018 09:55

"This activates the entire street frontage, and it will be a great pedestrian experience."

I think I need a cigarette! hahaha What fantastic news!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 19 Oct 2018 10:20

Someone call CVS and tell them how much they suck again. HEB understood what they had the opportunity to do here. I would have preferred a firework stand over the BS CVS built. Congrats Central Market and KDC for understanding the value of the street-level interaction. This site does, in fact, connect the West Village and Uptown and a draw right at the street like this will encourage more people movement between the two areas. They could have easily just renovated the old building but they saw the potential for more. HEB has vision. Now if we can get Kroger in the gaybourhood to have the same vision.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 19 Oct 2018 10:46

I also hope this means that the land they own on Lemmon will now be an HEB store.... and fast tracked! Get it built and start penetrating DFW, HEB!!!

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 19 Oct 2018 10:49

This prototype they're building in Houston would be perfect for the Lemmon Ave site.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 19 Oct 2018 11:05

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Someone call CVS and tell them how much they suck again. HEB understood what they had the opportunity to do here. I would have preferred a firework stand over the BS CVS built. Congrats Central Market and KDC for understanding the value of the street-level interaction. This site does, in fact, connect the West Village and Uptown and a draw right at the street like this will encourage more people movement between the two areas. They could have easily just renovated the old building but they saw the potential for more. HEB has vision. Now if we can get Kroger in the gaybourhood to have the same vision.
Man! That still gets me a little heated. CVS didn’t give a complete and total effe about how they designed their store. It looks like it belongs in Frisco, not Uptown. Since it’s still pretty new, it’ll be there for a while. That’s the sad part...

I’m enourgaed to see HEB come up with something that’s appropriate for the neighborhood. Again, I hope the adjacent properties take notice. *cough* *cough* Walgreens and the shopping center across the street *cough* *cough*

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 19 Oct 2018 11:21

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Someone call CVS and tell them how much they suck again. HEB understood what they had the opportunity to do here. I would have preferred a firework stand over the BS CVS built.

Just like Soho.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 19 Oct 2018 11:29

^hahahaha

I really hope the corporate offices of Central Market move into this office building in preparation to expand the brand through out North America and the Internet. Maybe the HEB Grocery expansion into North Texas can be coordianted in the office on Stemmons.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 19 Oct 2018 11:48

lakewoodhobo wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:Someone call CVS and tell them how much they suck again. HEB understood what they had the opportunity to do here. I would have preferred a firework stand over the BS CVS built.

Just like Soho.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Hahahahaha...I’m at work and people are wondering what I’m laughing at LOL.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 19 Oct 2018 12:34

I find it interesting that the other CVS we complain about is also across the street from a future Central Market store which will no doubt also be as urban walkable aware.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 19 Oct 2018 12:41

lakewoodhobo wrote:

Just like Soho.jpg

LOL. Even with the landscaping they chose, they made it so random with trees placed oddly, differing tree types, and no other vegetation other than grass they don't even properly take care of. Almost like they purposely did it as a middle finger to the neighborhood. I don't, and won't ever, shop in this CVS and I avoid CVS as much as possible due to how they treat our neighborhoods!

clubtokyo

Postby clubtokyo » 19 Oct 2018 13:01

Whoa I had to go check out this CVS on street view.... that is NEW?? They put zero thought. That could be a CVS in small town Nebraska.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 19 Oct 2018 14:28

clubtokyo wrote:Whoa I had to go check out this CVS on street view.... that is NEW?? They put zero thought. That could be a CVS in small town Nebraska.

Unfortunately, it was built in 2014/15.

CVS’ store designs are (always) horrible. The DMN’s Mark Lamster (Architecture Critic), written an article in July about this very thing.

CVS commits urban malpractice with generic store designs that poison neighborhoods

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... ghborhoods

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 19 Oct 2018 14:31

itsjrd1964 wrote:Image

So I see WV on the left side of this pic and understand the orientation of the development on the site but what is that taller tower in the distance?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 19 Oct 2018 14:47

I saw that too and I am assuming its a planned West Village tower on the Mutts land. The shape seems to suggest they only know that CityPlace Co plans to build something tall there and want it as a comparison to argue why their ask for taller isn't much of an ask. What Cityplace Co plans to build on their remaining parcels is much taller and something anyone who has been paying attention knows. It doesn't look like a specific design just a generic block design meant to show for scale next to their tower.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 19 Oct 2018 16:29

Yes, the planned Mutt's tower.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 19 Oct 2018 17:00

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I saw that too and I am assuming its a planned West Village tower on the Mutts land. The shape seems to suggest they only know that CityPlace Co plans to build something tall there and want it as a comparison to argue why their ask for taller isn't much of an ask. What Cityplace Co plans to build on their remaining parcels is much taller and something anyone who has been paying attention knows. It doesn't look like a specific design just a generic block design meant to show for scale next to their tower.

Good point, thanks!

mcrdal15

Postby mcrdal15 » 21 Oct 2018 15:52

Matt777 wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:

Just like Soho.jpg

LOL. Even with the landscaping they chose, they made it so random with trees placed oddly, differing tree types, and no other vegetation other than grass they don't even properly take care of. Almost like they purposely did it as a middle finger to the neighborhood. I don't, and won't ever, shop in this CVS and I avoid CVS as much as possible due to how they treat our neighborhoods!

The worst are the sprinkler systems they have during the summer, which drenches the sidewalk and gets people wet. They seriously don't give a flying f**k.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 21 Oct 2018 16:34

Matt777 wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:

Just like Soho.jpg

There's nothing wrong with the landscaping in of itself. The problem is that there is landscaping where there should be buildings lol

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 09 Dec 2018 17:04

Zoning change request signs have been posted for the HEB property. It is case no. Z189-141.

I think someone said they would request a slight increase in height.

At least it shows they are trying to move the project forward.

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 10 Apr 2019 13:26

Saw that the gates surrounding the old Albertson's / proposed Central Market were open today with a few trucks and people milling about. Anyone have updates on this project? Tbh this is in my top three for 2019. The HEB family is also ultra-conservative with their business expansion, so if they're willing to take part in new development it bodes well for an extension of the cycle.