Uptown Dallas: Central Market at McKinney and Lemmon

mhainli

Re: Uptown Dallas: Central Market at McKinney and Lemmon

Postby mhainli » 03 Oct 2023 07:16

Cbdallas wrote:That whole West Village area is in a funk. They could probable open a Central Market in the existing store in a few months and make it just like the Lovers location. At this point I will be ok with that as the option seems to be let that ugly building and land sit empty for years more.

I haven’t been down to West Village in several years. So why is it in a “funk”? Recovering from the pandemic, on-line shopping headwinds?

R1070

Postby R1070 » 03 Oct 2023 09:17

mhainli wrote:
Cbdallas wrote:That whole West Village area is in a funk. They could probable open a Central Market in the existing store in a few months and make it just like the Lovers location. At this point I will be ok with that as the option seems to be let that ugly building and land sit empty for years more.

I haven’t been down to West Village in several years. So why is it in a “funk”? Recovering from the pandemic, on-line shopping headwinds?

I wouldn't say funk, but rather a re-branding of itself. They are going in a more trendy direction in shops and such. I like this direction for Uptown and think a Central Market would complement it well.

vman

Postby vman » 04 Oct 2023 07:23

R1070 wrote:I wouldn't say funk, but rather a re-branding of itself. They are going in a more trendy direction in shops and such. I like this direction for Uptown and think a Central Market would complement it well.

You're right about that. I would never consider myself a "trendy" person and just about every West Village store I used to patronize is gone.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 10 Oct 2023 11:02

Drove by this site yesterday and it appeared there were a couple of large trucks pulling demo out of the interior of the space.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 10 Oct 2023 11:22

Cool, thanks for the update

R1070

Postby R1070 » 10 Oct 2023 12:24

Would they do that if they planned on demo-ing the building. Seems like a renovation to me which is very disappointing!

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 10 Oct 2023 14:05

I think we are just looking at them converting store to Central Market. At least they will put in new landscaping and that site will be active again. At this point it could take years to even start a mixed use project there.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 10 Oct 2023 14:18

Jeez, what a complete let down.

I agree, it will be an improvement over the dead space that is here currently, and I'd imagine they'll do some cool stuff with this Central Market, but it's unfortunate that this has dragged on for as long as it has and this is all we are left with.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 Oct 2023 14:56

So, technically do we have the official word from HEB that this is going to be turned into a Central Market? I don't see a story or link on that.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 16 Oct 2023 06:42

Well ran into my corporate guy again at CM on Northwest Hwy yesterday and asked him again what is going on with the Uptown CM and he said the interest rates blew up their second deal so they have gone back to look at other possibilities with other developers and have not ruled out just opening in the existing building but he said no decisions have been made and they are going spend time to see what can get done in this environment with the difficulties on getting financing (which seems to be a theme on other development projects as well). I got the impression that they still want to be in a development with the larger store site as planned. This will take more time so.....

He also said the owners of the land still need a large development to make sense long term for that use so I am leaning on they won't just open a store in the existing space as it would lock down that whole site for future development.

Guess I will still be driving to Northwest hwy and Lovers CM for a long while.

Addison

Postby Addison » 16 Oct 2023 07:30

Cbdallas wrote:Well ran into my corporate guy again at CM on Northwest Hwy yesterday and asked him again what is going on with the Uptown CM and he said the interest rates blew up their second deal so they have gone back to look at other possibilities with other developers and have not ruled out just opening in the existing building but he said no decisions have been made and they are going spend time to see what can get done in this environment with the difficulties on getting financing (which seems to be a theme on other development projects as well). I got the impression that they still want to be in a development with the larger store site as planned. This will take more time so.....

He also said the owners of the land still need a large development to make sense long term for that use so I am leaning on they won't just open a store in the existing space as it would lock down that whole site for future development.

TL;DR = "He's dead, Jim"

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 16 Oct 2023 08:49

Again I'll say this.. While they are waiting to do whatever they hope to do at this location they could easily build and open a CM at their Bishop Arts location. Lord knows we in N. Oak Cliff could use it.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 16 Oct 2023 16:14

Cbdallas wrote:Well ran into my corporate guy again at CM on Northwest Hwy yesterday and asked him again what is going on with the Uptown CM and he said the interest rates blew up their second deal so they have gone back to look at other possibilities with other developers and have not ruled out just opening in the existing building but he said no decisions have been made and they are going spend time to see what can get done in this environment with the difficulties on getting financing (which seems to be a theme on other development projects as well). I got the impression that they still want to be in a development with the larger store site as planned. This will take more time so.....

Well, this is exactly what I thought had happened. The developer took too long to get the deal locked down and the interest rates blew up the whole development. Dallas developers just sat on their hands and watched the environment pass them by and lose the opportunity to move forward. I suspect there's several of the "announced developments" sitting in a folder somewhere in an architect's office in the area.

MrsKravitz

Postby MrsKravitz » 27 Oct 2023 12:03

What does this mean? (I initially thought it referred to the McKinney Ave location but it’s elsewhere)

This approximately 3 acre request is for a new subdistrict within Planned Development District 193 (GR)/(MF-2) to create standards to allow for (1) multifamily residential and (2) to allow for restaurant uses. The site is currently developed with surface parking, retail, and partially residential uses.

Zoning Change Application for HEB Grocery

The property is located at the northeast corner of Lemmon Avenue and Reagan Street, south ofThrockmorton Street and west of Bowser Avenue. Land to the north is zoned PD 193 (MF-2) and PD 193 (GR); land to the south is zoned PD 193(MF-2), PD 193 (GR), and PD 193(P); land to the east is zoned PD 193(MF-2); and land to the west is zoned PD 193(GR).

Property to the north, south, east, and west is developed with a variety of multifamily residential, restaurant and bar uses, and retail uses. The proposed redevelopment ofthe property is consistent with the area and the ongoing pattern of development.
Last edited by MrsKravitz on 27 Oct 2023 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

wbarch

Postby wbarch » 27 Oct 2023 12:10

on the application the box is checked as the applicant is "potential buyer" they are requesting a new subdistrict to allow additional structure height for a MF building with restaurant and bar uses. sounds like they are potentially selling this site. its a full city block and it was submitted back in May. I posted this on the other thread as well. 3900 Lemmon is the address.

MrsKravitz

Postby MrsKravitz » 27 Oct 2023 12:22

Darn it - sorry I can delete it

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 27 Oct 2023 13:32

wbarch wrote:3900 Lemmon is the address.

So this is the OTHER Central Market location on Lemmon at the La Madeleine location? Good to hear someone may be interested. Hopefully they help Lemmon Ave improve and NOT put in...I don't know....a Kroger gas station. Geez!

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 27 Oct 2023 16:11

wbarch wrote:on the application the box is checked as the applicant is "potential buyer" they are requesting a new subdistrict to allow additional structure height for a MF building with restaurant and bar uses. sounds like they are potentially selling this site. its a full city block and it was submitted back in May. I posted this on the other thread as well. 3900 Lemmon is the address.

LongonBigD wrote:
wbarch wrote:3900 Lemmon is the address.

So this is the OTHER Central Market location on Lemmon at the La Madeleine location? Good to hear someone may be interested. Hopefully they help Lemmon Ave improve and NOT put in...I don't know....a Kroger gas station. Geez!

HEB currently owns the whole block at 3900 Lemmon. Trademark Property is the potential buyer. The proposed building already has its own thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1209