Park Lane/NCX Development

Thymant

Park Lane/NCX Development

Postby Thymant » 10 Jan 2017 19:09

More lofts and apartments coming to Shops at Park Lane
Maria Halkias
June 2015

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/business/2015/06/30/more-lofts-and-apartments-coming-to-shops-at-park-lane

Construction of another 165 apartments has started on the Park Lane side of the mixed-use development, across the street from the DART train stop and Bed Bath & Beyond.

Then a large building that’s been vacant and was originally built to be a sports club is being turned into 75 lofts. That building sits on top of a seven-level parking garage. The lofts will be on levels 8-10
Last edited by Thymant on 10 Jan 2017 23:05, edited 3 times in total.

Thymant

Re: Park Lane/NCX Development

Postby Thymant » 10 Jan 2017 19:11

Park Lane Apartment conversion (Over garage) and new midrise (front left) nearing coompletion from 12-3-16:

Taken by Me

The Shops At Park Lane New Midrise from today:

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Jan 2017 19:31

I hope, eventually, they plan to improve the connection between the DART station and this area. Good to hear more development is going on here.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 11 Jan 2017 01:01

20 years ago when DART ran its first train, people said the system was such a waste of money. Fast forward to today and look at all of the high dollar, very dense development that it is spurring. What we are seeing is New York City density being built around these stations.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 11 Jan 2017 01:28

joshua.dodd wrote:20 years ago when DART ran its first train, people said the system was such a waste of money. Fast forward to today and look at all of the high dollar, very dense development that it is spurring. What we are seeing is New York City density being built around these stations.

Considering the epicly low DART ridership and project design layouts typically not oruented at all towards the stations, I'm pretty sure it's highway proximity that's the key thing for these DART-adjacent developments.

It's not anywhere close to NYC density. Not even NYC suburbs. Regardless, NYC isn't really a great comparison for Dallas. Too different of development eras and too far apart in density/legacy transit infrastructure. The west coast cities are probably better to compare/contrast with because of that.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 11 Jan 2017 01:44

5-6 story buildings are plenty tall enough to get decent density. But when the building itself only occupies 1/3 of the land, it makes it not particularly dense.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 13 Aug 2019 14:05

I wonder if they will ever build the hotel component to this project. Seems like it would be a winner with DART and Northpark on either side.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 12 Nov 2019 03:49

The Shops at Park Lane plans to carve up a big empty space

Dick's Sporting Goods has left the building. They are moving into a former Toys R Us spot up north on the service road near Best Buy. The Shops' owners plan a new facade and will repurpose the space with multiple tenants.
Elsewhere in the center, Chipotle is coming in this month adjacent to Zoe's Kitchen. A local restaurant and a Spectrum/Charter storefront office are coming to the repurposed ex-Gordon Biersch spot. Charming Charlie is gone (bankrupt/liquidation), and Unleashed by Petco is also going. An 11-story office building is planned for the empty Park Lane/Central corner, with possible first-floor retail.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/reta ... pty-space/

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 18 Jul 2023 13:01

Dallas Morning News wrote:
Japanese retailer Daiso plans a second Dallas store
The Shops at Park Lane’s Daiso store will open in November and American Girl will be next in early 2024.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... las-store/

This will be their second Dallas store once the location at Mockingbird and Abrams opens up.

I can't wait to shop here, but I question them opening up two stores so close together (2.8 miles). The Park Lane store seems like it would be the most convenient for the greatest number of people, but I'm sure they've done their research.

In other news regarding Asian retailers in this area, Jollibee on Greenville Ave seems to be really delayed. It was supposed to open this month, but now google says September. I drove by this weekend, and no remodeling work seems to have been done yet. A worrisome "Available: DuWest Realty" sign was in the window, but maybe that is leftover from when they were originally marketing it. The Jollibee banners are still up.

It would be cool to see more Asian retailers open in this area, and draw a more diverse resident base! Marugame Udon and Tampopo closures were a loss.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 19 Jul 2023 02:53

Matt777 wrote:
Dallas Morning News wrote:
Japanese retailer Daiso plans a second Dallas store
The Shops at Park Lane’s Daiso store will open in November and American Girl will be next in early 2024.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... las-store/

This will be their second Dallas store once the location at Mockingbird and Abrams opens up.

I can't wait to shop here, but I question them opening up two stores so close together (2.8 miles). The Park Lane store seems like it would be the most convenient for the greatest number of people, but I'm sure they've done their research.

In other news regarding Asian retailers in this area, Jollibee on Greenville Ave seems to be really delayed. It was supposed to open this month, but now google says September. I drove by this weekend, and no remodeling work seems to have been done yet. A worrisome "Available: DuWest Realty" sign was in the window, but maybe that is leftover from when they were originally marketing it. The Jollibee banners are still up.

It would be cool to see more Asian retailers open in this area, and draw a more diverse resident base! Marugame Udon and Tampopo closures were a loss.

Stonebriar, Parks, and Grapevine Mills got Miniso stores, I really hope one comes to Dallas somewhere! I also hope Uniqlo would either come to Park Lane, the Galleria, or Downtown Dallas.

I think Park Lane has been doing great things with these additions, it’s location across from NorthPark is great as well. I’ve definitely visited both centres at once and this gives me, and a lot of other people, more reason to do so. Having more thriving walkable neighbourhoods in Dallas is also a major plus.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 19 Jul 2023 09:48

I've always wondered if there was a way to make walking to both easier. Make Park lane pedestrian only, mini park with like food truck or something. Maybe a way to cross the NB service road easier?

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 19 Jul 2023 11:17

MC_ScattCat wrote:I've always wondered if there was a way to make walking to both easier. Make Park lane pedestrian only, mini park with like food truck or something. Maybe a way to cross the NB service road easier?

Yeah, I’ve definitely seen some people trying to walk between the two before. There’s already a shuttle between the two I’m pretty sure, but I’d love to see this neighbourhood be more united.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 19 Jul 2023 12:26

MC_ScattCat wrote:I've always wondered if there was a way to make walking to both easier. Make Park lane pedestrian only, mini park with like food truck or something. Maybe a way to cross the NB service road easier?

Agreed. This would be welcome but I don’t think it will happen. Nobody even mows the grass at the NorthPark exit (NB NCX) and access road as it is. I have always wondered if NP doesn’t see this as visual impairment to the NP experience. I get that most traffic comes from east and north but some of us live DT and Uptown. I’m sure they are connected enough to pull some strings with DOT. First world problem, right?

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 19 Jul 2023 15:36

With Texas weather, the only way you'll get people to walk between the two would be an enclosed, air conditioned sky bridge with moving sidewalks.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 19 Jul 2023 15:41

LongonBigD wrote:I’m sure they are connected enough to pull some strings with DOT. First world problem, right?

It has been a long time, but the relationship between the two was extremely strained when they re-built Central. TxDOT had to use eminent domain to acquire ROW from the mall, and the mall sued them for the cost of building the parking garage to replace the condemned parking spaces.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 19 Jul 2023 16:40

Hannibal Lecter wrote:With Texas weather, the only way you'll get people to walk between the two would be an enclosed, air conditioned sky bridge with moving sidewalks.

It for sure need trees and maybe some sort of structure to shade it. Maybe a splash pad or something too. I think it would a great win for both of these properties.

turtlecreek

Postby turtlecreek » 19 Jul 2023 21:09

LongonBigD wrote:

Agreed. This would be welcome but I don’t think it will happen. Nobody even mows the grass at the NorthPark exit (NB NCX) and access road as it is. I have always wondered if NP doesn’t see this as visual impairment to the NP experience. I get that most traffic comes from east and north but some of us live DT and Uptown. I’m sure they are connected enough to pull some strings with DOT. First world problem, right?

Right? I’ve noticed that that section of access road is incredibly shabby considering the properties it’s around. I was just by there today, and they’ve at least knocked the weeds down on the Park Lane side of Central.