Downtown Dallas: Retail

DPatel304

Re: Downtown Dallas: Retail

Postby DPatel304 » 01 Dec 2017 12:34

I'm a little confused as to where this new retail would go. I'm not too familiar with the building, so I'm not sure where the carport is, but are we just talking about the glassed portion of the building here:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+A ... 96.7998007

I don't really see a carport, so I'm just a little confused. Either way, this is awesome news, and hopefully more buildings start doing this!

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 01 Dec 2017 15:07

No, it's to the left of that. I'll try to take a picture tonight.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 01 Dec 2017 23:20

DPatel304 wrote:I'm a little confused as to where this new retail would go. I'm not too familiar with the building, so I'm not sure where the carport is, but are we just talking about the glassed portion of the building here:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+A ... 96.7998007

I don't really see a carport, so I'm just a little confused. Either way, this is awesome news, and hopefully more buildings start doing this!

To the left, where the flagpoles are on the brown building. Those tan squares at the base were open and the drive went through the area to the check in desk. It was always an awkward pedestrian entrance from the street.

Old view: https://binged.it/2AnPr1F

willyk

Postby willyk » 02 Dec 2017 02:50

With the opening of the Adolphus and Statler venues, Commerce will host 7 hotels with a decent number of street level restaurants. This should make for a nice corridor of activity for the expense account crowd. Main Street is headed toward a rowdier bar and casual scene and will offer a good counterpoint.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 02 Dec 2017 13:48

dfwcre8tive wrote:To the left, where the flagpoles are on the brown building. Those tan squares at the base were open and the drive went through the area to the check in desk. It was always an awkward pedestrian entrance from the street.

Old view: https://binged.it/2AnPr1F

Perfect, thanks! I totally forgot about the drive through area, and had no idea they removed it. I went to the Adolphus a couple years ago and actually went through this area.

Replacing that with a few retail options is a pretty big step in the right direction.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 23 Jan 2018 14:32

There was finally construction going on yesterday inside the upcoming Royal Blue Grocery in the Mercantile Place building at Main and Ervay. Looks like this one is moving forward.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 23 Jan 2018 14:40

Matt777 wrote:There was finally construction going on yesterday inside the upcoming Royal Blue Grocery in the Mercantile Place building at Main and Ervay. Looks like this one is moving forward.

Noticed this morning on my way to work that they took down the window graphics that have been there forever. Glad to see this move forward.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Jan 2018 09:10

Yeah, the first step is the Merc had to build out the retail corridors and divide the space up into separate spots. Then once the white box retail spaces were ready the retailers themselves like Royal Blue and Verizon can send in their contractors to build out the spaces for the tenant.

This is part of the problem with lots of spaces in Downtown. White box means a tenant can hire a contractor and build out in a few months. If space is too raw and not white box ready many retailers won't even consider it an option. That space in Neimans Garage is the opposite direction. At one-time decades ago it had someone occupying it but Neimans has left the space to just sit so any potential tenant would have to spend weeks ripping out old, leaky malfunctioning, bad wiring, upgrade major infrastructure before a finish out contractor would get started. In suburban shopping centers, many spaces are managed by companies that make sure they can sign a tenant and start finish out construction the next day.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

muncien

Postby muncien » 24 Jan 2018 09:33

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Yeah, the first step is the Merc had to build out the retail corridors and divide the space up into separate spots. Then once the white box retail spaces were ready the retailers themselves like Royal Blue and Verizon can send in their contractors to build out the spaces for the tenant.

This is part of the problem with lots of spaces in Downtown. White box means a tenant can hire a contractor and build out in a few months. If space is too raw and not white box ready many retailers won't even consider it an option. That space in Neimans Garage is the opposite direction. At one-time decades ago it had someone occupying it but Neimans has left the space to just sit so any potential tenant would have to spend weeks ripping out old, leaky malfunctioning, bad wiring, upgrade major infrastructure before a finish out contractor would get started. In suburban shopping centers, many spaces are managed by companies that make sure they can sign a tenant and start finish out construction the next day.

When downtown LA began their revival many years ago, they simply leased out those old dilapidated spaces for DIRT CHEAP to local artists, thus creating their 'Arts District' (very different from ours). While those spaces did almost nothing for a tax base, they did liven up the streets to the point that they became attractive to more serious retail tenants. It was quite brilliant, actually... I wish we could encourage the same here...
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Jan 2018 09:41

I agree but even though Pop up retail is taking place in Dallas as well the people in charge around here don't seem to see the value in artist space or pop-up retail that can highlight the value of the space.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 24 Jan 2018 09:51

Imagine if the city spent some of its subsidization dollars on bringing a large amount of new retail to downtown spaces all at once, instead of "subsidizing" "luxury" apartment developments in Uptown for Angela Hunt and her buddies to the tune of $20 million. If we subsidized the 1st year rent for new retail downtown, for let's estimate $100k for each small shop, we could bring 200 retail shops to downtown. I don't think we should do it for that many, but I'm just making a point on our wasteful spending.

eburress

Postby eburress » 24 Jan 2018 09:57

Now that Uptown's pretty much built out, the city should start subsidizing residential developments *inside* the Downtown loop, as well as some retail.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Jan 2018 11:58

Uptown is built out? When did that happen, and I walk home through Uptown several times a week. Also, wait so you want to blame Angela Hunt for a practice that has been happening long before her. I am not saying she isn't participating in a system of incentive development that many continue to ignore as an almost only advantageous for the large corporate development community. I just don't think this is one of those cronies types of problems.

eburress

Postby eburress » 24 Jan 2018 12:08

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Uptown is built out? When did that happen, and I walk home through Uptown several times a week.

Relax. I said "pretty much."

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 24 Jan 2018 12:14

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Uptown is built out? When did that happen, and I walk home through Uptown several times a week. Also, wait so you want to blame Angela Hunt for a practice that has been happening long before her. I am not saying she isn't participating in a system of incentive development that many continue to ignore as an almost only advantageous for the large corporate development community. I just don't think this is one of those cronies types of problems.

No, I'm blaming everyone involved in those type of deals. The city government for not being good stewards of taxpayer money, the developers that take advantage of it, but ESPECIALLY Angela Hunt because she used to be "for the people" but now seems to be on the other side. And that specific Katy Trail "urban renewal" development ESPECIALLY because Uptown is the LAST district in this city that needs any taxpayer money to give to developers to encourage development to end blight.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 24 Jan 2018 20:30

The long-awaited Japanese fusion restaurant, Musumé, opened today at Hall Arts in the space next to Flora Street Cafe. Glad to see they’ll have late and weekend hours.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/restauran ... k-10275396

https://dallas.eater.com/2018/1/17/1690 ... nuary-2018

trueicon

Postby trueicon » 25 Jan 2018 15:39

This was not expected. City Tavern will be moving to Mid Elm Lofts.

https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/20 ... elm-lofts/

I believe this will be the new location.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 25 Jan 2018 17:00

trueicon wrote:This was not expected. City Tavern will be moving to Mid Elm Lofts.

https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/20 ... elm-lofts/

I believe this will be the new location.

Looks like all of the previously announced tenants have split and City Tavern is the first of a new slate. On the bright side, we have an opening date: "The 1,817-square-foot space is slated to open June 1."

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Jan 2018 17:49

Man, I was hoping for them to bring in new stuff to downtown. City Tavern should stay put.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 25 Jan 2018 19:57

Interesting, I like City Tavern and kind of liked the vibe in there. Hope that doesn't change too much.

muncien

Postby muncien » 26 Jan 2018 08:39

I meant to post on that a week ago... I was talking to the staff and they said they intend to make it a mirror image of what City Tavern is today. Although, I suppose the uphoulstry wont be as torn... lol
I was laughing to myself the other day when I noticed the same tears in the seat backs that were there 12 years ago... But, I do sadly miss the Veggie Sandwich that they used to have.

EDIT: Oh, and it'll only be one floor. They didnt get enough use of the upstairs at the current location.

I am curious to see what the next tenant does with the old space. That is an awesome location. Hopefully they dont go too trendy.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 28 Jan 2018 01:31

New downtown Dallas coffee shop pairs cappuccinos with baby cakes
new coffee shop with exquisite little cakes is opening in downtown Dallas in a vital, centrally located space. Called Cakettes TX, it will open very softly on January 27 at 400 N. St. Paul St., where the ill-fated Serj once resided.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... erj-books/

The northern side of Downtown seems to be getting a decent amount of retail these days.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 07 Feb 2018 17:38

Sol Irlandes has been shut down for non-payment of taxes.

C6C9FCA1-EFFB-4B7D-8049-2898CA2F51F1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trueicon

Postby trueicon » 07 Feb 2018 18:22

^^ Geez, Main Street news sure has been a mixed bag the last couple of years

Gains = Commissary, Bread Zeppelin, Irish Bar, Westin and its restaurants/bars

Losses = Union Park, relocation of City Tavern, the cancelled Wine Bar across from Wild Salsa, and now this.

Interestingly ,on Facebook, they say they'll be closed the "next few days".

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 07 Feb 2018 20:12

Payment of taxes.. now that's a first. I love that place. Sad

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 12 Feb 2018 14:20

Looks like they are once again open. It could have a been an administrative oversight like missing a sales tax return...the fact they bounced back so quickly leads me to think that.

Now - being locked out for non-payment of rent -that's when you worry.

willyk

Postby willyk » 24 Feb 2018 18:17

This looks like the opportunity for Downtown to be competitive with Uptown. People acknowledge that Uptown is missing contiguous retail.

Substitute “Downtown” for “Knox Street” below. In other words, bringing contiguous retail to Downtown would give Downtown something attractive that is missing from Uptown.

CBRE Senior Vice President Jack Gosnell predicts Knox Street has enormous potential to become a soft-goods shopping bastion as Uptown continues to struggle to find room for meaningful contiguous retail

https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-worth/news/neighborhood/uptown-to-remain-dallas-ivory-tower-85260

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 18 Mar 2018 13:34

lakewoodhobo wrote:Sol Irlandes has been shut down for non-payment of taxes.

C6C9FCA1-EFFB-4B7D-8049-2898CA2F51F1.jpeg

They are back open as of March 16th:
UPDATE: Sol Irlandes re-opened in time for dinner service on March 16.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... -downtown/

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 19 Mar 2018 10:23

F45 Training Studio is now open, and the red brick storefront next door to it looks like it has construction activity.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 20 Mar 2018 20:22

Farewell to Doug's Gym, 55 years in downtown Dallas.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... ght-lifted

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 21 Mar 2018 09:08

dfwcre8tive wrote:Farewell to Doug's Gym, 55 years in downtown Dallas.

Dang, I suppose it's only a matter of time before this building is torn down as well.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 21 Mar 2018 09:31

^all the contrary. More like it's a matter time before it becomes creative office space.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 21 Mar 2018 09:34

Curious to know if the new foreign owners also bought the building next door, which was being marketed by CBRE.

These are some of the last buildings on the downtown side that look anything like the buildings on the Deep Ellum side.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 21 Mar 2018 09:34

exelone31 wrote:

Dang, I suppose it's only a matter of time before this building is torn down as well.

Hopefully not. The city continues to do nothing to preserve architecture from eras past. I'm confident this building will be kept as office space and retail/dining space on the lower level. I wonder if they could at least preserve the fantastic "Doug's Gym" sign. Find a way to permanently preserve it on the building.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 21 Mar 2018 09:36

lakewoodhobo wrote:

These are the last buildings on the downtown side that look anything like the buildings on the Deep Ellum side.

There's actually several buildings on that sleepy end of downtown that look like Deep Ellum buildings. They're easily overlooked but there are some real gems around there amidst the empty lots, waiting to be polished. I would love some sort of zoning requirements to require infill development to follow the same architectural style of the area.

muncien

Postby muncien » 21 Mar 2018 09:39

Matt777 wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:

These are the last buildings on the downtown side that look anything like the buildings on the Deep Ellum side.

There's actually several buildings on that sleepy end of downtown that look like Deep Ellum buildings. They're easily overlooked but there are some real gems around there amidst the empty lots, waiting to be polished. I would love some sort of zoning requirements to require infill development to follow the same architectural style of the area.

Totally... I love this 'hood, and have even tried to buy two of these buildings. No luck... lol. I always figured this area was the logical next area to 'pop' inside the loop. So much potential.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 21 Mar 2018 09:43

Isn't that what this project is trying to do:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=405

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 21 Mar 2018 09:55

There's been a For Sale sign on the side of the Doug's/7-Eleven building for a while. I wondered how long it would be before some firm snapped it up.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 21 Mar 2018 12:08

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:^all the contrary. More like it's a matter time before it becomes creative office space.

Oh yeah? That's great to hear!

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 21 Mar 2018 13:02

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:^all the contrary. More like it's a matter time before it becomes creative office space.

No kidding!

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 1.01.13 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 21 Mar 2018 14:27

The building was never under-valued. Sadly, Doug's gym was just outdated and people have other options in downtown. They had an incredible run but the taxes are to high for a stand alone gym to make the owner a favorable margin. Simple.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Mar 2018 11:11

Well considering this was more about a change in ownership wanting to finally collect rent from a part of Dallas history it doesn't necessarily have to do with a failed business. It's just the small town typer ownership of some of these buildings is going away. People are cashing out cause the money is good as momentum is building in Downtown. Doug himself wasn't interested in evolving his business he was just maintaining what he had an activity for himself. Doesn't sound like he needed money from the enterprise. Sounds like he kept the gym going because he had some loyal customers and a building owner that was fine with him taking up space. When you get old as Doug you are just happy to have a place to go and be social. The building ownership obviously didn't feel that they could find a "better" tenant. They must have been happy it was occupied by a tenant who I doubt complained about this or that. Doug knew there would be a day where it was time to shutter and he isn't worried about it.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 27 Mar 2018 12:48

Good to see retail progress at the Mercantile building.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 28 Mar 2018 04:43

mdg109 wrote:Good to see retail progress at the Mercantile building.

Saw this over the weekend and meant to post about it.

Seeing the pic, I just had a thought. Not looking up, just straight out ~at eye level--I get a kind of NYC- or Chicago-like visual vibe from this... old dept store on the left, storefronts/restaurants at most every corner, older buildings not torn down but used and kept.

I know, I'm stretching, but that was just the first thing I thought of when I saw this from the pictured angle.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 28 Mar 2018 08:09

It's a bit of a big deal that we're getting retail that's not a 7-Eleven, high-end store or restaurant. Verizon may not be on the top 10 list of things we want downtown, but when you really think about it the AT&T store is only there because it's subsidized by HQ. Verizon is there because Commerce St has foot traffic.

On the topic of Doug's Gym, I believe the 7-Eleven there was the first to open downtown. It would be really interesting if it closed because there's now demand for something better.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 01 May 2018 11:24

A downtown Dallas restaurant with a rocky recent history has closed but has already found a new home in beautiful downtown McKinney.

The restaurant is Sol Irlandes, the Mexican place at Stone Place Mall, across from the Joule Dallas hotel. After a rough patch in March, it finally closed on April 29.

But the restaurant has found a new home in McKinney Square, at 119 W. Virginia St., in the space formerly occupied by Bien Salsa. According to a spokesman, they'll be re-opening quickly, possibly within a week.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... -downtown/

I never took the time to eat here, so I can't comment on the quality of the food, but I hope this location doesn't stay vacant for too long, as it's in a very popular location.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 01 May 2018 12:41

It was a really cool space, but just average tex-mex IMO. Yeah, I hope something goes in quick. That's a huge chunk of dead space for Stone Street Pl.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 01 May 2018 13:14

To be replaced by a Poke restaurant in 3...2...1...

muncien

Postby muncien » 01 May 2018 14:51

I love Mexican food, but I never cared much for the food or margaritas here. That said, the location was enough of a draw to get me to hang out every now and then. I really look forward to it's replacement.

BTW... What's up with Fish Market? I went there ten years ago and hated it. I really can't believe that place is still there.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 01 May 2018 15:03

If it was just an average restaurant, then perhaps this news could be a good thing. I just hope they don't try and go for something super high-end.