West Dallas Developments

IcedCowboyCoffee

Re: West Dallas Developments

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 19 Sep 2022 16:49

"Houston builder plans West Dallas apartment project"
Now Urban Genesis plans to break ground in March on a more than 150-unit apartment project on Singleton Boulevard at Borger Street, planning documents filed with the state show.

- Dallas Morning News
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2022/09/16/houston-builder-plans-west-dallas-apartment-project/
Five stories, planned completion for early 2024.

urbangenesis.jpg
'
- Urban Genesis
https://urban-genesis.com/portfolio/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by IcedCowboyCoffee on 19 Sep 2022 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 19 Sep 2022 17:18

So glad to see the social perception barriers to development in West Dallas diminishing. In a few more years, gentrification will be in full swing..... If only the city could manage the change to shelter poor residents from unscrupulous development.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 19 Sep 2022 18:23

West Dallas needs infrastructure work as well. Lots of these small streets don't even have sidewalks... Pretty embarrassing that the city would go decades without even making any sort of effort about that ..

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Sep 2022 21:39

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:West Dallas needs infrastructure work as well. Lots of these small streets don't even have sidewalks... Pretty embarrassing that the city would go decades without even making any sort of effort about that ..

We studied the history of West Dallas in City Planning classes in college, and yes it was purposefully underinvested due to it being designated as a place for minorities and affordable housing. It was also a purposeful dumping ground for pollution for the same reasons.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 22 Sep 2022 10:04

Has anybody been to TG lately? I have been a few times in the past few months and it's striking how dead the place continues to be. I think Beto & Son does well but overall it seems a shadow of it's pre-pandemic self.

vman

Postby vman » 22 Sep 2022 14:23

Tnexster wrote:Has anybody been to TG lately? I have been a few times in the past few months and it's striking how dead the place continues to be. I think Beto & Son does well but overall it seems a shadow of it's pre-pandemic self.

I went last month with friends on a sunny Friday afternoon and was very surprised at how quiet it was. There were several restaurants being renovated so maybe there's still hope.

willyk

Postby willyk » 22 Sep 2022 23:56

Tnexster wrote:Has anybody been to TG lately? I have been a few times in the past few months and it's striking how dead the place continues to be. I think Beto & Son does well but overall it seems a shadow of it's pre-pandemic self.

I find the wooden fence along Singleton to be very off putting. I can no longer see the restaurants or the crowds enjoying the outdoor vibe. Fences don’t make people feel welcome— they do the opposite.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 23 Sep 2022 06:15

lakewoodhobo wrote:
willyk wrote:

I find the wooden fence along Singleton to be very off putting. I can no longer see the restaurants or the crowds enjoying the outdoor vibe. Fences don’t make people feel welcome— they do the opposite.

I've been saying this to everyone who will listen. That fence kills the entire vibe of Trinity Groves when you can't even see the neon signs that advertised each of the restaurants. The cool fire/water feature on the front parking lot is covered up and looks terrible now. I think it's great that they turned the front parking lot into usable space, but not for this. Whoever approved this must have zero training in business or marketing, or common sense.

I also learned that Steam Theory closed across the street and that Yellow Rose Barbershop is closing as well. Either businesses are failing left and right or they have a new leasing management company making a bunch of changes. I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 23 Sep 2022 06:49

That area needs about 10,000 more people living near there.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 23 Sep 2022 09:14

lakewoodhobo wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:
willyk wrote:

I've been saying this to everyone who will listen. That fence kills the entire vibe of Trinity Groves when you can't even see the neon signs that advertised each of the restaurants. The cool fire/water feature on the front parking lot is covered up and looks terrible now. I think it's great that they turned the front parking lot into usable space, but not for this. Whoever approved this must have zero training in business or marketing, or common sense.

I also learned that Steam Theory closed across the street and that Yellow Rose Barbershop is closing as well. Either businesses are failing left and right or they have a new leasing management company making a bunch of changes. I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Truth, and when was there one evening there were exactly zero people using that space. Some staff milling around but thats about it.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Sep 2022 17:14

Cbdallas wrote:That area needs about 10,000 more people living near there.

Based on what's coming down Singleton Blvd at the Trinity Green site and just past it, they have a good amount coming but probably under 5,000 units within the next two years. The connectivity is, of course, abysmal between Trinity Green which has lots of apartments, townhomes, and condos, but if you wanted to walk or bike to Trinity Groves, it would be kinda unsafe. They built new sidewalks as part of the SIngleton Blvd redo but it was done without purchasing new space for wider sidewalks or including new crosswalks so that it would be ready for the opening of the Margaret Hunt Hill bridge. Which is a reliever route for the Stemmons/Woodall Rogers/Mixmaster so high-speed high capacity car travel is what Singleton Blvd was redesigned for not for walkability and creating a neighborhood of connected living, working and play. If the railroad wasn't such a super active line it would be primed for a Katy Trail copycat but that railroad is not going anywhere ever.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 27 Sep 2022 17:25

Yes, we will relocate the Hofmann Hots from the temporarytecture building. Never was going to happen.

vman

Postby vman » 28 Sep 2022 07:51

CTroyMathis wrote:Yes, we will relocate the Hoffman Hots from the temporarytecture building. Never was going to happen.

And you have no idea how much I loved and miss that place!!

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 28 Sep 2022 08:45

Same here!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Sep 2022 14:09

I missed it, too, honestly. Back when Trinity Groves was just some dusty parking lots and a converted truck depot.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 29 Sep 2022 19:44

The fence needs to go. Full stop.

LPG

Postby LPG » 29 Sep 2022 20:44

We welcome change and openness; for we believe that urbanism and decent eats go together, that the advance of your failed restaurant incubator can only strengthen the cause of faux urbanism and scalable gastronomy. There is one sign the Romanos can make that would be unmistakable, that would advance dramatically the next generation’s Fuddruckers or whatever non-descript microwaveable, undeniable, faux-cultural, Ric Flair loving bullshit we so desire . General Macaroni Grill, if you seek PFGs, if you seek prosperity for the Groves of Trinity and West Dallas (or, at least the portion you own), if you seek exploitation of suburban bank accounts: Come here to this former parking lot! Mr. Macaroni Grill, park your F-350! Mr. Macaroni Grill, tear down this wall!

Aaaaaaaart paaaark. Veuve vending machine. Wooo!

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 30 Sep 2022 09:37

Was there Wednesday evening during happy hour and there may have been under 20 people outside. No valet parking...probably because there was so much available parking!

jflonghorn

Postby jflonghorn » 18 Dec 2022 21:06

Does anyone know what is planned for the lot at Singleton and Herbert currently being demolished (across from Trinity Groves)? It has had a fenced off warehouse looking structure that is surrounded by apartments.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 19 Dec 2022 08:26

jflonghorn wrote:Does anyone know what is planned for the lot at Singleton and Herbert currently being demolished (across from Trinity Groves)? It has had a fenced off warehouse looking structure that is surrounded by apartments.

This stuff was much easier to figure out before someone at DCAD clicked on a phishing scam that shut down their website.

On a similar note, anyone know when this shopping center across from the Home Depot was fenced off? At one point there were plans for a Take 5 and a Starbucks here, but I think that was pre-pandemic.

CBD7BB39-ED97-4440-BA17-AD8F7A60E2DB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 20 Dec 2022 19:30

lakewoodhobo wrote:New West Dallas community will bring hundreds of homes
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -of-homes/

Storybuilt Homes, an Austin-based builder that has done multiple Dallas-area communities, is working on the 12-acre development at Fort Worth Avenue and Commerce Street.

The development site includes several blocks along Main and Pittman streets north of Fort Worth Avenue.

“We are looking at about 400 units of multifamily for rent and about 144 units of for-sale homes. “Also we are looking at some attached condos.”

The West Dallas Urban Village project also would include about 30,000 square feet of commercial construction, he said.

Some renderings https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/hai ... 0-main-st/

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 20 Dec 2022 20:14

I45Tex wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:New West Dallas community will bring hundreds of homes
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -of-homes/

Storybuilt Homes, an Austin-based builder that has done multiple Dallas-area communities, is working on the 12-acre development at Fort Worth Avenue and Commerce Street.

The development site includes several blocks along Main and Pittman streets north of Fort Worth Avenue.

“We are looking at about 400 units of multifamily for rent and about 144 units of for-sale homes. “Also we are looking at some attached condos.”

The West Dallas Urban Village project also would include about 30,000 square feet of commercial construction, he said.

Some renderings https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/hai ... 0-main-st/

Looks pretty nice! Hides the parking well. Has interesting design elements and thoughtful green spaces. And there is the possibility of for-purchase condos. Looks like a great win for the area and will set a good example for further developments around it.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 30 Dec 2022 12:24

Looks like this has continued to go forward in construction. Here was another link about it.

https://argosyrep.com/argosy-real-estat ... th-avenue/

lakewoodhobo wrote:
CTroyMathis wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:https://dallascityhall.com/government/meetings/DCH%20Documents/plan-commission/8-19-2021%20CPC%20Docket.pdf

Looks like Larkspur might be redeveloping a large chunk of Fort Worth Ave (almost 9 acres) into residential, if I'm reading pg 85 of next week's CPC Docket correctly.

The area is south of Ft. Worth Ave between Clinton Ave and Chappell St., including the big "Salon Las Americas" building. Listed on the preliminary plat as "Larkspur Worth Cottages".

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 2.25.27 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 2.24.29 PM.jpg

Also, just to the west of this is where White Rhino is building a coffee roastery.
https://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2021/0 ... qr0IXPZYG4

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2022001053

Code: Select all

Project Name:
    Fort Worth Ave
Project Number:
    TABS2022001053
Facility Name:
    Larkspur Worth Cottages
Location Address:
    1030-1200 Fort Worth Avenue
    Dallas, TX 75208
Location County:
    Dallas

Start Date:
    11/1/2021
Completion Date:
    5/1/2023
Estimated Cost:
    $30,000,000
Type of Work:
    New Construction
Type of Funds:
    This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.
Scope of Work:
    Project consist of 27 single building townhouses, 3 single building townhouses with mixed uses on first floor, and 1 resident only amenity building.
Square Footage:
    346,696 ft 2

146 new rental homes planned across from the Belmont Hotel
https://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2021/0 ... th-avenue/

The development will consist of similar single-family homes of about 1,600 square feet each with a shared clubhouse and pool. Each home will have its own fenced-in grass and garage.

It will also have a dog park and walking trails, the Dallas Morning News reports. Construction is expected to start soon, and it could be complete as soon as 2023.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 02 Jan 2023 17:05

If StoryBuilt can actually deliver ~800 for-purchase townhomes & condos... Whew.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 03 Jan 2023 08:48

All the utilities and concrete work is just about done for the rental homes. Should start to see the homes being built any day now.

jflonghorn

Postby jflonghorn » 23 Apr 2023 20:46

Atlas Metal Works at Sylvan and Singleton is slowly coming down.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 01 May 2023 09:34

‘Hostile takeover’: West Dallas homeowners battle new developments, rising taxes
Gentrification has made Gilbert-Emory one of the hottest real estate plays in the city, but at what cost to longtime residents?

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2023/05 ... ing-taxes/

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 04 May 2023 00:43

jflonghorn wrote:Atlas Metal Works at Sylvan and Singleton is slowly coming down.

It’s pretty much just scraps of metal heaps at this point.
No more Atlas Metal Works

D89CC7CD-C581-44AE-9B23-80001A326934.jpeg

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 04 May 2023 00:49

Tnexster wrote:‘Hostile takeover’: West Dallas homeowners battle new developments, rising taxes
Gentrification has made Gilbert-Emory one of the hottest real estate plays in the city, but at what cost to longtime residents?

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2023/05 ... ing-taxes/

Well, the City of Dallas provided little to no improvements over the decades to make this area a desirable place to live. It was always close to industrial businesses and became a sad area for the destitute & poor. It's proximity to Downtown now makes it a hot real estate market.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 Oct 2023 09:56

Austin builder’s closing puts West Dallas development site back on market
Planned for 800 residential units, it’s one of more than two dozen properties on the market following StoryBuilt Homes’ receivership.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... on-market/

StoryBuilt Homes – formerly known as PSW Real Estate – this summer shut down operations, laid off employees and sought voluntary receivership. The more than 30-year-old builder has completed housing projects in Oak Cliff, Dallas and Plano.

The receivership means StoryBuilt’s building sites, completed projects and partially-built developments with an estimated value of $2 billion are being marketed for sale by A&G Real Estate Partners and Onyx Asset Advisors.

One of the more than two dozen properties up for grabs is a 12-acre site at Fort Worth Avenue and Commerce Street, west of downtown Dallas.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 10 Oct 2023 14:41

NdoorTX wrote:
jflonghorn wrote:Atlas Metal Works at Sylvan and Singleton is slowly coming down.

It’s pretty much just scraps of metal heaps at this point.
No more Atlas Metal Works

D89CC7CD-C581-44AE-9B23-80001A326934.jpeg

Does anyone know what became of the business entity for Atlas Metal Works? A quick google search makes it seem like they just closed up shop but I'd like to know if they were able to relocate, rebrand, get bought out, etc. I had them do some work for me nearly a decade ago at this point and the owner that I spoke to at the time was very nice and accomodating. I think he had said he's the fourth generation family owner.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 03 Dec 2023 10:03

Did Someone Purchase The Belmont Hotel?
https://candysdirt.com/2023/11/30/did-s ... um=twitter

“We have been diligently working with the Ford family on plans to carefully preserve and restore The Belmont,” said Philip Todd, partner at Todd Interests. “Although we cannot comment further at this moment, we look forward to sharing more details at a later point in time.

Great news. Hope they announce something soon.

Dallas_Uptown

Postby Dallas_Uptown » 03 Dec 2023 13:46

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Matt777 wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
They really are grotesque looking abominations. Its hard to decipher if they are townhomes or apartments; Seriously what are they? "TownApartments" .. utterly disgusting.

I know that some of the storefronts will be dental offices. I saw a small sign on one of them.

Are you talking about Lincoln Kessler Park? Or something else (link?)?

Yes, that's the name.

Nearby Residents rumored about a Target being opened there. But I heard that Target balked at the idea since the section 8 housing was nearby. Ive heard that Target despises the Cityplace location... But who knows. Maybe they found another big box retailer.

They may hate that location, but as my late father would say: “They do the business.”

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 03 Dec 2023 13:57

Dallas_Uptown wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Matt777 wrote:
Are you talking about Lincoln Kessler Park? Or something else (link?)?

Yes, that's the name.

Nearby Residents rumored about a Target being opened there. But I heard that Target balked at the idea since the section 8 housing was nearby. Ive heard that Target despises the Cityplace location... But who knows. Maybe they found another big box retailer.

They may hate that location, but as my late father would say: “They do the business.”

Don't forget Target eventually agreed to open in Wynnewood Village...next door to public housing.

IMG_1036 Large.jpeg

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 17 Jan 2024 08:31

Read this in the paper yesterday:

"In Dallas, the planned store at 2045 Fort Worth Ave. will open at the end of this year, according to information the developer filed with the state."

I am a little surprised as the Chinese Buffet and other stores are still open.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 19 Jan 2024 15:34

MC_ScattCat wrote:Read this in the paper yesterday:

"In Dallas, the planned store at 2045 Fort Worth Ave. will open at the end of this year, according to information the developer filed with the state."

I am a little surprised as the Chinese Buffet and other stores are still open.

Chad West posted an update today for his constituents:

Sprouts to Break Group in Late 2024. (I assume he means Ground)

Recently, I have received a flood of emails asking when (and if) Sprouts will be opening in North Oak Cliff. Nothing has changed as least as far as I’m aware since the November 8, 2023 Oak Cliff Advocate article, here. At this point, the site owner has gone through a multi-year zoning process and completed its funding request to the Fort Worth Avenue TIF, and the City and community have done our parts to help the store become a reality for our neighborhood. It’s up to the builders to take the project home and get it done, subject to any leases or other obligations involving Elrod’s and other tenants presently on the site.