West Dallas Developments

vman

Re: West Dallas Developments

Postby vman » 16 Nov 2018 13:53

Matt777 wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
vman wrote:I was in the area yesterday...and anyone know what the large building going up is in the 2200 block of Fort Worth Avenue? It's right next to that new shopping center and in front of those (horrible) new apartments just west of Hampton and Fort Worth Ave. At first glance, it looks like a grocery store, but it can't be..can it?

They really are grotesque looking abominations. Its hard to decipher if they are townhomes or apartments; Seriously what are they? "TownApartments" .. utterly disgusting.

I know that some of the storefronts will be dental offices. I saw a small sign on one of them.

Are you talking about Lincoln Kessler Park? Or something else (link?)?

Yes I am. I can't believe the developer went with such a bland suburban design. I look away every time I drive by them. A new 24 Hour Fitness would probably do very well here. The downtown location would lose a ton of members though. Lots of OC residents use that one. I wouldn't blame them for leaving. That downtown 24 Hour is a real dump.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 16 Nov 2018 15:19

At some point I heard that they were getting a Sprouts up in that area? I have seen this building and have wondered what it is going to be. It kind of looks two level in some parts so not sure it would be a grocery store.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 16 Nov 2018 16:07

Tnexster wrote:At some point I heard that they were getting a Sprouts up in that area? I have seen this building and have wondered what it is going to be. It kind of looks two level in some parts so not sure it would be a grocery store.

My understanding is that Central Market and Sprouts were both looking at sites including this one. CM of course picked Bishop Arts, and Sprouts picked El Fenix on Colorado and Beckley. No clue if that's still in the works or if it fizzled, but clearly neither of them are in a hurry.

What bugs me about the 24-hr Fitness is that Lincoln Property Company hasn't made a big announcement with confetti and balloons. You'd think it would attract more residents to their new apartment complex, not to mention drive tenant demand for their new but mostly empty shopping center, which so far has landed a dentist office and a nail salon.

No doubt that 24-hr Fitness will attract a fast-casual lunch place, which is what this area desperately needs.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 22 Jan 2019 16:07

https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaura ... s-11522613

Here's an interesting story about the company that owns Bolsa, Smoke, Chicken Scratch, Theodore, etc., explaining the recent closures. The part that pertains to West Dallas comes at the very end:

“I expect a lot of big things to happen at the Chicken Scratch property — the property in general, not just the businesses,” Zielke says. “We have been pushing the landlord to develop the rest of the property. We’re busy working on that, so I think that should happen very quickly.”

Zielke can’t comment yet on what’s going to be next to Chicken Scratch, but his team is involved.

“It’s something we’ve wanted to do for a long time," he says. "And it’ll get done quickly.”

This reminds me that on January 16, Monte Anderson (developer of the Belmont and Tyler Station) posted this photo on Facebook of a project that he has under contract. It is clearly the Chicken Scratch property and you can make out words like "13 trailers" and "hotel", so I wonder if he's planning some kind of trailer park hotel.

50096365_2220563094640838_6484587687025049600_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 23 Jan 2019 12:15

^ Great find! I'll be curious to see what ends up going there.

It's a bummer to hear about the Bolsa/Smoke folks. Their restaurants are solid, but it's always strange when something you hold in high regard is exposed for lots of financial red flags.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 23 Mar 2019 11:16

As West Dallas' iconic Belmont Hotel grows sad and shabby, a push to make it a historic landmark

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... c-landmark

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 25 Mar 2019 12:37

Tnexster wrote:As West Dallas' iconic Belmont Hotel grows sad and shabby, a push to make it a historic landmark

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... c-landmark

I know this article doesn't really blow the alarm trumpets, but there's something that is ominous IMO. The commission to decide landmark designation re-convenes in May, and I have a bad feeling (based off zero actual evidence) that the current owner may just knock it down before that happens.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 25 Mar 2019 13:48

What a shame. I hardly ever do staycations but The Belmont was always on my list of places to stay for a night or a weekend in the future. Looks like the owners have no clue how to run and maintain a hotel, and it needs a new investor to come in and reboot it. This hotel is what put West Dallas on the map.

Of course, if Monte Anderson hadn't sold the Belmont, he probably wouldn't have bought Tyler Station which is doing its part to keep places in Bishop Arts from closing (Green Pet, for example), so maybe this is the lesser of two evils.

As for Landmark Status: I wonder if they should also consider protecting Inn of the Dove which was listed in the Negro Motorist Green Book when it operated as the Triple A Ranch Motel: https://cityofdallaspreservation.wordpr ... -listings/

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 25 Mar 2019 14:20

There's so much empty and underutilized land in Dallas, especially in this area, that it boggles my mind that we have to tear down such beautiful and interesting structures for development. It's an illness this city has had since the 1950's and can't seem to shake off like other cities have. Cities that people like.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 25 Apr 2019 11:33

Saw over the last week or so that two projects appear to have broken ground. The Toll Brothers site on W Commerce and Pittman has been moving dirt and is the most active of the two.

And on W Commerce and Beckley, the Slate City Lights project seems to have started or is getting ready to start. Still no rendering for this one but let's hope they take full advantage of those views.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 25 Apr 2019 11:43

lakewoodhobo wrote:What a shame. I hardly ever do staycations but The Belmont was always on my list of places to stay for a night or a weekend in the future. Looks like the owners have no clue how to run and maintain a hotel, and it needs a new investor to come in and reboot it. This hotel is what put West Dallas on the map.

Of course, if Monte Anderson hadn't sold the Belmont, he probably wouldn't have bought Tyler Station which is doing its part to keep places in Bishop Arts from closing (Green Pet, for example), so maybe this is the lesser of two evils.

As for Landmark Status: I wonder if they should also consider protecting Inn of the Dove which was listed in the Negro Motorist Green Book when it operated as the Triple A Ranch Motel: https://cityofdallaspreservation.wordpr ... -listings/

Before I forget, I had to drive by the Belmont this morning to get around an accident on I-30. When I made a right turn on Sylvan in front of the Belmont I could not help but notice a survey crew on the sidewalk with their equipment aimed at the hotel. They are clearly doing survey work on that property.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 25 Apr 2019 12:25

Tnexster wrote:Before I forget, I had to drive by the Belmont this morning to get around an accident on I-30. When I made a right turn on Sylvan in front of the Belmont I could not help but notice a survey crew on the sidewalk with their equipment aimed at the hotel. They are clearly doing survey work on that property.

I'll have to get over that way soon. I got married at the Belmont, so would be a really bummer to see it razed, but it sounds like that may be what's in store. :|

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 25 Apr 2019 13:03

lakewoodhobo wrote:Saw over the last week or so that two projects appear to have broken ground. The Toll Brothers site on W Commerce and Pittman has been moving dirt and is the most active of the two.

And on W Commerce and Beckley, the Slate City Lights project seems to have started or is getting ready to start. Still no rendering for this one but let's hope they take full advantage of those views.

Ah I had noticed the Toll Brothers project moving forward as well forgot to mention it, didn’t know of the other butgreat news!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 25 Apr 2019 13:28

exelone31 wrote:
Tnexster wrote:Before I forget, I had to drive by the Belmont this morning to get around an accident on I-30. When I made a right turn on Sylvan in front of the Belmont I could not help but notice a survey crew on the sidewalk with their equipment aimed at the hotel. They are clearly doing survey work on that property.

I'll have to get over that way soon. I got married at the Belmont, so would be a really bummer to see it razed, but it sounds like that may be what's in store. :|

Sure sounds that way, they closed Smoke, don't seem interested in filling that space unless somebody knows something else, and they still had six years on their lease. Now, survey people show up. I wonder what they could build here? Anybody know what the zoning is?

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 15 May 2019 10:04

West Dallas shopping center sells to Highland Park Village co-owner Ray Washburne
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... -washburne

I feel like this can go one of two ways: Washburne slaps some paint, maybe divides the empty Fiesta space into smaller retail and brings in an Aldi similar to how they did on Hampton and Illinois Ave.

Or they see what's going on with Trinity Green / Trinity Groves and bought this with the intent to plant their flag here. The area west of Hampton is mostly Dallas Housing Authority / superfund site, so I don't see developers salivating over land this far west anytime soon.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 18 Jun 2019 14:22

Update on the building going up on W Commerce and Beckley. It's called "West Commerce Gateway" and described as "315 apartments and 12,700 square feet of single story freestanding retail/restaurant space. The project is under construction and will deliver units in 2021. Good + West is developing the project with Cypress Real Estate Advisors."

Source: https://goodandwest.com/projects/west-c ... SjptYxrHDU

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 18 Jun 2019 14:41

Certainly something a little less ordinary.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 18 Jun 2019 15:55

Like the reference to the old warehouse that was there.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 18 Jun 2019 16:01

Looks good, like the brick.

I also enjoy this creative re-phrasing of "strip center"

12,700 square feet of single story freestanding retail/restaurant space

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 21 Jun 2019 14:13

I'm dreaming of the day when we start to see skyscrapers rising over here.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Jun 2019 11:37

Maybe a mid-rise but I still expect it will be decades before a true high rise goes up in West Dallas. The demand just isn't high enough in West Dallas and the land is too affordable to not spread projects out across the larger property sizes. The good thing about converting a warehouse area into apartments is that a lot of the parcels are large enough to easily just throw up a parking garage and wrap it in apartments and a courtyard with a pool.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

anon

Postby anon » 22 Jun 2019 23:33

joshua.dodd wrote:I'm dreaming of the day when we start to see skyscrapers rising over here.

Let's aim for streets with actual sidewalks first.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 25 Jul 2019 12:13

Prefab garage construction on the "West Commerce Gateway" at W Commerce and Beckley. The interesting thing is that all three active sites in this immediate area (W Commerce @ Pittman, W Commerce @ Beckley and Beckley @ Oregon) are at about this same stage in the process.

IMG_0477.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 25 Jul 2019 17:01

Is that the same type of garage that was built at City Lights?

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Jul 2019 22:28

lakewoodhobo wrote:Prefab garage construction on the "West Commerce Gateway" at W Commerce and Beckley. The interesting thing is that all three active sites in this immediate area (W Commerce @ Pittman, W Commerce @ Beckley and Beckley @ Oregon) are at about this same stage in the process.

IMG_0477.jpg

FYI - the thread for the other apartments was here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=264&start=50

I found an early rendering for that project. But I haven't found anything else...wonder if it's still the same. Really hope retail is added.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 08 Aug 2019 11:11

New rendering of retail and a public plaza at the West Commerce Gateway development from the Shop Cos. brochure here: https://shopcompanies.com/properties/west-commerce-gateway-restaurant

IMG_0655.jpg

Sburres

Postby Sburres » 04 Nov 2019 07:53

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/10/17/new ... of-dallas/

$6 Mill funded to the west dallas (Hampton and Singleton). I'm excited about the change but it also seems crazy to me since a big uptown developer just bought that shopping center on Hampton and Singleton. Seems like someone had the inside scoop.

DFWwanderer

Postby DFWwanderer » 14 Jan 2020 09:24

Not sure if anything has been announced previously, but a developer has applied for a zoning change at the northeast corner of Singleton and Gulden as soon as you cross Margaret Hunt Hill. Seeking a PD for an office project that includes the West Dallas veterans memorial.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 Jan 2020 14:27

^This is what is currently a parking lot for Trinity Groves? If a tower goes up here the view from Rocco's will be lost.

DFWwanderer

Postby DFWwanderer » 14 Jan 2020 15:38

^Yes this is indeed the location.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 Jan 2020 17:02

DFWwanderer wrote:^Yes this is indeed the location.

At one point in time there was a rendering for a tower planned for this location, seems like it was fairly tall too. Interesting development if they can make a class A office product work over there.

From 2016.....

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 15 Jan 2020 01:09

Yeah, they have been proposing an office tower for that site for a while now and hotel for the concrete plant site. I wonder if they were able to get a tenant for some part of the office project. Lord knows the biggest advantage of the bridge access is the reality that it connects to Uptown/Downtown directly so anyone looking for a cheaper price per square footage can just jump across the river. Uptown is pretty tight on office space right now so a smaller tower across the river could lease-up.

eburress

Postby eburress » 15 Jan 2020 07:35

How awesome for Dallas it would be if development of this type/scale did make it across the Trinity. It's a great location too and relatively accessible despite Woodall Rogers' frequent backups.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 15 Jan 2020 09:00

I’d be surprised if an office building broke ground here before the hotel, but I’d like to be surprised.

Also interesting is that the West Dallas Veterans Plaza had been previously proposed for a large median along Canada Dr, in a largely residential area with no parking. Assuming it’s the same project, I’m glad they’re incorporating it into this office development and the Continental/West Dallas Gateway.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 17 Jan 2020 17:29

LUCK posted on their facebook that they are closing.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 17 Jan 2020 17:47

flyswatter wrote:LUCK posted on their facebook that they are closing.

I’ve been wondering how Trinity Groves is doing overall. Went for lunch on a Saturday and Beto & Sons was pretty much full. Also noticed that the avocado place (Avo Eatery, maybe) is getting ready to open.

As for the new buildings, there’s a State Farm office in a space that was probably meant to be a restaurant, and something new was “coming soon” in the Cypress phase 2 building.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 18 Jan 2020 10:30

The former truck depot now restaurant building I always imagined would eventually fade away and be redeveloped. Just cause LUCK is closing doesn't mean the whole project is declining. I just mean as time goes on the original part will probably end up not making financial sense in its current iteration. I know the big high rise renderings they released before still showed it in place but I doubt once many of the parcels surrounding it are vertical it would make more sense to replace the older structure.

foleymi1

Postby foleymi1 » 14 Feb 2020 15:19

The Cypress phase 2 place is apparently going to be Lone Star Axe Throwing (according to a sign I saw on the building before they began working on it), which apparently already has a location in Arlington.

Bryan Street Tavern is also opening a second location in Sylvan 30 that will be called Sylvan Avenue Tavern. Looks like it will be above Juiceland/Ten Ramen.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 14 Feb 2020 15:22

I would love to see the first new high rise pop up across the river. I am not sure it will happen this cycle but it will be really cool to see it when it does as it will stand out by itself hopefully not for long though.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 15 Feb 2020 11:07

Cbdallas wrote:I would love to see the first new high rise pop up across the river. I am not sure it will happen this cycle but it will be really cool to see it when it does as it will stand out by itself hopefully not for long though.

Maybe that proposed 20 story office tower will be the first out of the ground. Once we get one...lookout.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 15 Feb 2020 23:52

Clairvista is moving locations. From their current building to the retail location in the bottom of the new Magnolia property. Sign went in Friday and they’re looking to open next month at the new location.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 18 Feb 2020 11:41

On page 281 of this week's City Plan Commission docket there's a request for a new mixed-use development on the corner of W Commerce and Neal, in an area that is primarily industrial but ripe for residential development. Staff recommends that CPC deny the request because of traffic concerns and lack of pedestrian amenities. Hopefully this is something that comes back after further negotiation.

REQUEST: An application for a Planned Development District for MU-3 Mixed Use District uses on property zoned an IM Industrial Manufacturing District and an IR Industrial Research District.

SUMMARY: The applicant proposes to construct a mixed-use development consisting of residential, retail and personal service and office uses.

STAFF RECOMMENDATION: Denial

Traffic:
The Engineering Division of the Sustainable Development and Construction Department reviewed the proposed request and determined that the request will have a negative impact on the existing street system. Further, the Division is not able to support the request for a proposed mixed-use development consisting of a multifamily development. The general area is primarily industrial generating heavy truck traffic. The majority of service requests created in the proximity of the subject site request attention to destroyed signs and damaged roads with no pedestrian amenities. Staff cannot support increased residential density in the area without proper infrastructure for pedestrians—considered paramount for residential welfare and pedestrian safety.

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 11.40.04 AM.jpg

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 18 Feb 2020 12:26

Wow, kind of impressed that they are looking for land that far to the west and that deep in an industrial area. That is a fairly narrow section of Commerce.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 18 Feb 2020 14:41

Staff cannot support increased residential density in the area without proper infrastructure for pedestrians—considered paramount for residential welfare and pedestrian safety.

Until they write us a big enough check.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Feb 2020 10:37

Yeah this is one of those areas that eventually could be a nice neighborhood of a quieter nature but yeah COmmerce has no sidewalk in this section but since when has that stopped Dallas from allowing developers to build anything...I agree with staff if they applied the same judgment in other areas of the city but they rarely care about pedestrians and choose lip service to the topic over real analytical eye.

The question really is they want to build a mixed-use development like office, residential and service space. I would assume no retail or restaurants but things like an insurance office, maybe a dry cleaner etc. Stuff that doesn't require a super busy street frontage to feel competitive.

Mind you this sounds like the city just hasn't moved fast enough to move this section of Oak Cliff along on their planning process. So zoning wouldn't have as many of the standards done up in other areas the city has already pushed for mixed-use development.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 21 Jul 2020 13:51

Trinity River apartments in the works will overlook downtown
Mill Creek Residential is planning a Beckley Avenue rental project.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -downtown/

Developer Mill Creek Residential has filed plans with the city to build a 280-unit rental community on the banks of the Trinity River. The project would be built on about 2 acres on North Beckley Avenue just south of Commerce Street.

Picture1.jpg

The property — now occupied by commercial buildings — has a front-row view of the nearby skyline. The Trinity Overlook Park is next door.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 21 Jul 2020 14:17

lakewoodhobo wrote:Trinity River apartments in the works will overlook downtown

Developer Mill Creek Residential has filed plans with the city to build a 280-unit rental community on the banks of the Trinity River. The project would be built on about 2 acres on North Beckley Avenue just south of Commerce Street.

Picture1.jpg
The property — now occupied by commercial buildings — has a front-row view of the nearby skyline. The Trinity Overlook Park is next door.

That's a really nice spot, and I've got to imagine it will continue to pull some of that residential/retail development along.

At some point, hopefully the momentum of the development will make it extremely hard NOT to do anything with the Trinity River Park.

vman

Postby vman » 21 Jul 2020 14:18

lakewoodhobo wrote:Trinity River apartments in the works will overlook downtown

After a quick look at Mill Creek's portfolio: they've built some "OK" stuff and then lots of the typical, so I'm not expecting anything mind-blowing architecturally. But maybe maybe they'll think outside of their usual box here, maybe not.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 21 Jul 2020 16:21

"...on the banks of the Trinity River."

Only in May.

1/2 mile away the rest of the year.

:-)

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 21 Jul 2020 16:39

Steve Brown calls it an apartment "block" which conjures up images of a typical stick built Dallas donut, but with 280 units on such a small parcel of land it sounds like we might get a midrise here. I'm guesstimating about 10 floors of apartments on top of 2-3 floors of garage? An underground garage here might be a challenge against the levees.

Either way, this building will have absolutely stunning views. This could be the best apartment view yet. I think our skyline looks best from the west, to capture the Uptown and Victory Park skyline too.