West Dallas Developments

Thymant

Re: West Dallas Developments

Postby Thymant » 21 Jul 2020 17:06

^^^ Agreed! I think our skyline looks amazing from the West view, especially with all the new additions downtown.

This area has been Booming! This is the 4th new residential mid-rise in that immediate area and don't even get me started on the single family and town home construction. Its only a matter of time before the first residential high-rise is proposed in West Dallas.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 21 Jul 2020 18:51

Beckley has some potential given the pedestrian improvements on Commerce. this could be a nice area. However, I would like to see mixed use along Beckley. There's already commerical along Beckley, I wish a developer would come along and build a little mid rise with some small storefronts.

The Trinity skyline apartments had an opportunity to add some retail and instead gave us an ugly orange concoction to their building...sigh

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 22 Jul 2020 08:40

Technically on Commerce street they are already a lot of empty storefronts available for grabs so I don't think these developers have a strong incentive to add additional storefronts on Beckley with so many still vacant.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 22 Jul 2020 09:08

Dumpsters and crews working on gutting El Finex on Beckley & Colorado yesterday. Looks like demo is about to start.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 22 Jul 2020 09:48

MC_ScattCat wrote:Dumpsters and crews working on gutting El Finex on Beckley & Colorado yesterday. Looks like demo is about to start.

It breaks my heart to see any El Fenix restaurant be torn down. A Dallas institution.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 22 Jul 2020 09:51

I thought at one point there were plans for a cool mixed-use, possibly right across the street from where this is going? I'll have to dig back in this thread and see if i can find it.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 22 Jul 2020 09:54

lakewoodhobo wrote:New rendering of retail and a public plaza at the West Commerce Gateway development from the Shop Cos. brochure here: https://shopcompanies.com/properties/west-commerce-gateway-restaurant

IMG_0655.jpg

Here it is. Not sure if this is still happening or not.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 22 Jul 2020 09:58

exelone31 wrote:I thought at one point there were plans for a cool mixed-use, possibly right across the street from where this is going? I'll have to dig back in this thread and see if i can find it.

I think you're referencing Project Hydrogen from around 2010. The last time I saw renderings of it, it was just 5-story residential with surface parking. Oak Cliff can do much better.

http://www3.dallascityhall.com/committe ... 060410.pdf

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 9.54.37 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Warrior2015

Postby Warrior2015 » 22 Jul 2020 10:09

Matt777 wrote:Steve Brown calls it an apartment "block" which conjures up images of a typical stick built Dallas donut, but with 280 units on such a small parcel of land it sounds like we might get a midrise here. I'm guesstimating about 10 floors of apartments on top of 2-3 floors of garage? An underground garage here might be a challenge against the levees.

Either way, this building will have absolutely stunning views. This could be the best apartment view yet. I think our skyline looks best from the west, to capture the Uptown and Victory Park skyline too.

I agree. The skyline is the best from the west! However, I think the view from the east shows the more taller view of downtown which I like!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Jul 2020 10:27

exelone31 wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:New rendering of retail and a public plaza at the West Commerce Gateway development from the Shop Cos. brochure here: https://shopcompanies.com/properties/west-commerce-gateway-restaurant

IMG_0655.jpg

Here it is. Not sure if this is still happening or not.

Yeah that project is mostly vertical already since its a part of the apartments they are building there. Drive by today and you can clearly see it.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 24 Jul 2020 10:12

And just like that El Fenix in North Oak Cliff is no more. I wonder how long till the new project will start?

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Jul 2020 15:44

Whats going in across the street from Sylvan 30, north east side of the Sylvan/FW Ave Intersection. Looked like work was underway last time I was over there.

DFWwanderer

Postby DFWwanderer » 17 Sep 2020 12:05

Heads up, possible mixed-use development proposed just south of the intersection of Commerce & Beckley, between Beckley and the levee on property currently featuring industrial uses. Case number is Z190-226.

eddieg1

Postby eddieg1 » 17 Sep 2020 13:01

1.png
2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 17 Sep 2020 13:59

It's interesting. I have a feeling that while parks like KWP and Main Street Garden have been catalysts for later development around them, the Trinity River Park may end up finally getting "built" if for no other reason than there's too much ancillary development to keep delaying it.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 18 Sep 2020 09:18

Just a casual observation of what development looks like in Q3 and maybe Q4 for West Dallas. The areas in orange seem to have slowed down or become stagnant, while the areas in red are seeing increased momentum.

The area to the north is almost runaway single-family residential construction most likely due to its proximity to the medical district while the area to the east is mixed-use and multifamily likely due to proximity to downtown and the future*† park.

West Dallas dev.jpg

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 18 Sep 2020 15:36

eddieg1 wrote:1.png2.png

I'm actually pretty excited to see more development in this immediate area. Looks like it's only about a half a mile from Trinity Groves via the trails too:
https://goo.gl/maps/sLHDyZMomW62XbNNA

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 18 Sep 2020 16:46

There have been a lot of light industrial business leaving this area as well. When I walk my dog by Manhattan brewery it's always packed. I know there's a new bar on Ft Worth Ave. just after the commerce split coming as well. The Chicken Scratch property could be a hot property as well once COVID clears.

Thymant

Re: DTD Riverfront Project

Postby Thymant » 23 Oct 2020 19:07

And here is the first glimpse:
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2020/10/23/dallas-riverside-rental-community-will-connect-with-planned-parks/

Mill Creek wants to build about 280 urban-style apartments in a five-story building. The rental units would sit on top of a parking structure to give them views over the adjacent river levee.

Plans for the flat iron-shaped building — designed by award-winning architect WDG — were presented this week to Dallas' Peer Design Review Committee.

The proposed apartment project would have pedestrian links to the planned West Overlook Park and the planned Trinity River park.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 23 Oct 2020 19:23

Here's a way better story on this development..

https://candysdirt.com/2020/10/14/dalla ... -thursday/

I think the author makes a very good point about there being no real central plan in this area. I don't agree with his sentiment about preserving Downtown views. My take is skylines evolve and we shouldn't make someone's view unblockable from a certain vantage point.

Nonetheless, he make very strong points about Dallas' letting developers submit plans in prime locales, with very little oversight.

willyk

Postby willyk » 24 Oct 2020 01:48

Thymant wrote:And here is the first glimpse:
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2020/10/23/dallas-riverside-rental-community-will-connect-with-planned-parks/

Mill Creek wants to build about 280 urban-style apartments in a five-story building. The rental units would sit on top of a parking structure to give them views over the adjacent river levee.

Plans for the flat iron-shaped building — designed by award-winning architect WDG — were presented this week to Dallas' Peer Design Review Committee.

The proposed apartment project would have pedestrian links to the planned West Overlook Park and the planned Trinity River park.

This is Mill Creek on the west side of the river. The first one (lakewoodhobo) is Columbus on the east side.

Edit: Mill Creek development site topic moved to this West Dallas Development thread. - CTM

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 26 Oct 2020 12:31

Anyone have any idea when they plan on building the three new underpasses in the area under the UPRR tracks? Beckley & Sylvan are as wide as they can go now. Dream world scenario would have the street car go from Sylvan 30 along Commerce through downtown and up Ross to Lower Greenville.

Ace

Postby Ace » 26 Oct 2020 12:39

First off, the incredible aspect of Uptown especially the area in and around the Crescent is in how it has expanded during booming times. West Dallas is located too far from Uptown. Even places like The Dallas Arts District and Henderson Avenue could dry up like the desert. We are talking about a severe downturn right? The logistics are just impossible for areas located too far from Uptown. In the future, I see investment shrinking to inside a bubble made up of Uptown, Turtle Creek, maybe Victory, Knox Park, and the Park Cities. Downturns are the best time to invest and construct in this bubble.
Sorry, I just think all this Pandemic and negative campaigning by protest has provided a whole lot of damage to central Dallas image. There is lots of work to do.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 27 Oct 2020 12:47

I can ride a bike to VP or uptown in less than 10 mins from west Dallas. Trinity Groves, the pedestrian bridge, sylvan 30, bishop arts are all packed on weekend.

vman

Postby vman » 27 Oct 2020 14:22

MC_ScattCat wrote:I can ride a bike to VP or uptown in less than 10 mins from west Dallas. Trinity Groves, the pedestrian bridge, sylvan 30, bishop arts are all packed on weekend.

Klyde Warren get all the shine, but the Ron Kirk Bridge has also been a (underrated) success.

Ace

Postby Ace » 27 Oct 2020 14:41

MC_ScattCat wrote:I can ride a bike to VP or uptown in less than 10 mins from west Dallas. Trinity Groves, the pedestrian bridge, sylvan 30, bishop arts are all packed on weekend.

I hope your optimism is correct. I think the success in both West Dallas and North Oak Cliff are achievements that Dallas can be proud. I use the "Germany" theory when thinking about the real estate in Central Dallas. Germany is ground zero concerning Western Europes economy. Northern Italy is located closer to Germany than the poorer part of Southern Italy. Germany and France together form a base of manufacturing and agriculture. The poorest nation of Greece is located the furthest steps away from Germany.
Pertaining to the economy of central Dallas, The Crescent represents ground zero. West Dallas is located four or five steps away.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 27 Oct 2020 16:13

Regarding the Mill Creek development, just to point out here as has been pointed out elsewhere in internetlandia - there are discrepancies in what has been in at zoning for 160 FT and 15ish ST as discussed on Candy's Dirt v. what went to the Urban Design Peer Review Board voluntarily just days ago and also in the more recent S. Brown article which is 5 ST over 3.

Just logging this one in for future reference for another day.

https://twitter.com/Wylie_H_Dallas/stat ... 0769582080
https://twitter.com/Wylie_H_Dallas/stat ... 5391465477

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 28 Oct 2020 09:12

Even Wylie H Dallas is a NIMBY now? Someone guessed that the ownership of that account changed, I guess they were right. Jon Anderson's complaints are as high-rise suburbia as they get - not enough parking, 'looming', 'ugly' blah blah blah. It's taller and will house more people? Good. It's nice to be so concerned about how the Urban Design Review board spends their time. If they review projects around Dallas and all are still 'ugly, looming, etc', then who cares what they say?

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 28 Oct 2020 12:24

The_Overdog wrote:Even Wylie H Dallas is a NIMBY now? Someone guessed that the ownership of that account changed, I guess they were right. Jon Anderson's complaints are as high-rise suburbia as they get - not enough parking, 'looming', 'ugly' blah blah blah. It's taller and will house more people? Good. It's nice to be so concerned about how the Urban Design Review board spends their time. If they review projects around Dallas and all are still 'ugly, looming, etc', then who cares what they say?

Yeah, Anderson's opinion was a bad one in my estimation. He's so concerned about Skyline views, that he misses the bigger point. We are adding housing and revitalizing an area. I do think he makes a valid point about not having a plan though for the area.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 28 Oct 2020 12:41

What is currently there isn't exactly easy on the eye. As someone who lives in this neighborhood I'm all for it.

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 28 Oct 2020 16:13

^^^ I agree, this area is to new in its development track for anyone to expect any superior project to pop up just yet. True the future for this area looks bright but its still in its early stages and we should expect to see more of these basic stick apartments which flooded all other successful neighborhoods before anything exceeding expectations is proposed.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 28 Oct 2020 16:33

Thymant wrote:^^^ I agree, this area is to new in its development track for anyone to expect any superior project to pop up just yet. True the future for this area looks bright but its still in its early stages and we should expect to see more of these basic stick apartments which flooded all other successful neighborhoods before anything exceeding expectations is proposed.

I'm 100% okay with this. There is a lot of room for future development, I really just want to see more reasons to utilize the existing levee trails that run along the Trinity River.

This development looks like it'll be a short walk from Trinity Groves, which create a nice walk for people.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 28 Oct 2020 17:40

Yeah, I live 5 min away from the proposed site. There's not really much there in terms of views for residents as its mostly, warehouses on that stretch of beckley. There's some Apartments near by currently u/c, but nobody has ever had any views from outside their window along beckley.. that is unless they were driving by.

But like I've said before protecting someone's view shouldnt be a deterrent for projects like these.

I do agree that the millwood modera designs aren't exactly what you write home about, but I think if it interacts well with the street and the levee it's a good start.

The other apartments u/c on the other side of beckley near Mcdermott Bridge (Trinity Skyline View apartments) are so basic and have an ugly color palette (orange and blue-- Flintstones push pop??) That we can't really complain about this proposal.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 29 Oct 2020 10:42

It'll be really interesting to see how the evolution of this stretch of Beckley continues, and how it impacts other parts in the vicinity. There has already been a ton of change here in the past 10 years, and it feels like there is still lots ahead.

eburress

Postby eburress » 29 Oct 2020 10:44

For sure. One would have to assume what's happened to this point is just the tip of the iceberg.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 13 Aug 2021 14:46

https://dallascityhall.com/government/m ... Docket.pdf

Looks like Larkspur might be redeveloping a large chunk of Fort Worth Ave (almost 9 acres) into residential, if I'm reading pg 85 of next week's CPC Docket correctly.

The area is south of Ft. Worth Ave between Clinton Ave and Chappell St., including the big "Salon Las Americas" building. Listed on the preliminary plat as "Larkspur Worth Cottages".

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 2.25.27 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 2.24.29 PM.jpg

Also, just to the west of this is where White Rhino is building a coffee roastery.
https://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2021/0 ... qr0IXPZYG4

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Aug 2021 15:26

Nice chunk of land there and it would really make a nice impact along Fort Worth Ave to see that land with new townhomes/apartments popping up.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 13 Aug 2021 15:54

500K housing. Yay

jflonghorn

Postby jflonghorn » 15 Aug 2021 22:18

Does anyone know what the landing being cleared along the North side of Singleton and Crossman is for?

foleymi1

Postby foleymi1 » 19 Aug 2021 16:51

I also noticed that all of the buildings between Rays Hardware and the apartment that houses Tacos Milagro/Lone Star Axe Throwing along the south side of Singleton have been demolished within the past week or so. Does anyone know if anything is slated to be built there?

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 19 Aug 2021 19:33

Isn't that part of the Trinity Green expansion

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... e-project/

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Aug 2021 09:07

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Isn't that part of the Trinity Green expansion

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... e-project/

From the article
It’ll become the newest addition to Stonelake’s 25-acre Trinity Green community on Singleton Boulevard west of Sylvan Avenue."

The land ^foleymi1 is talking about is East of Sylvan where currently a bunch of smaller buildings that have mostly been vacant sit including Rays Hardware. I would assume its just another phase of apartments.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 01 Sep 2021 16:41

New West Dallas community will bring hundreds of homes
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -of-homes/

Storybuilt Homes, an Austin-based builder that has done multiple Dallas-area communities, is working on the 12-acre development at Fort Worth Avenue and Commerce Street.

The development site includes several blocks along Main and Pittman streets north of Fort Worth Avenue.

“We are looking at about 400 units of multifamily for rent and about 144 units of for-sale homes. “Also we are looking at some attached condos.”

The West Dallas Urban Village project also would include about 30,000 square feet of commercial construction, he said.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 16 Sep 2021 11:54

lakewoodhobo wrote:https://dallascityhall.com/government/meetings/DCH%20Documents/plan-commission/8-19-2021%20CPC%20Docket.pdf

Looks like Larkspur might be redeveloping a large chunk of Fort Worth Ave (almost 9 acres) into residential, if I'm reading pg 85 of next week's CPC Docket correctly.

The area is south of Ft. Worth Ave between Clinton Ave and Chappell St., including the big "Salon Las Americas" building. Listed on the preliminary plat as "Larkspur Worth Cottages".

Also, just to the west of this is where White Rhino is building a coffee roastery.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2022001053

Code: Select all

Project Name:
    Fort Worth Ave
Project Number:
    TABS2022001053
Facility Name:
    Larkspur Worth Cottages
Location Address:
    1030-1200 Fort Worth Avenue
    Dallas, TX 75208
Location County:
    Dallas

Start Date:
    11/1/2021
Completion Date:
    5/1/2023
Estimated Cost:
    $30,000,000
Type of Work:
    New Construction
Type of Funds:
    This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.
Scope of Work:
    Project consist of 27 single building townhouses, 3 single building townhouses with mixed uses on first floor, and 1 resident only amenity building.
Square Footage:
    346,696 ft 2

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 16 Sep 2021 16:38

Great to see Rhino moving around more these days. Good place.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 20 Sep 2021 11:42

CTroyMathis wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:https://dallascityhall.com/government/meetings/DCH%20Documents/plan-commission/8-19-2021%20CPC%20Docket.pdf

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2022001053

Code: Select all

Project Name:
    Fort Worth Ave
Project Number:
    TABS2022001053
Facility Name:
    Larkspur Worth Cottages
Location Address:
    1030-1200 Fort Worth Avenue
    Dallas, TX 75208
Location County:
    Dallas

Start Date:
    11/1/2021
Completion Date:
    5/1/2023
Estimated Cost:
    $30,000,000
Type of Work:
    New Construction
Type of Funds:
    This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.
Scope of Work:
    Project consist of 27 single building townhouses, 3 single building townhouses with mixed uses on first floor, and 1 resident only amenity building.
Square Footage:
    346,696 ft 2

146 new rental homes planned across from the Belmont Hotel
https://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2021/0 ... th-avenue/

The development will consist of similar single-family homes of about 1,600 square feet each with a shared clubhouse and pool. Each home will have its own fenced-in grass and garage.

It will also have a dog park and walking trails, the Dallas Morning News reports. Construction is expected to start soon, and it could be complete as soon as 2023.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 05 Jan 2022 09:58

Mill Creek site started demo on the previous structures yesterday. Also, the site at I-30 & Beckley put up fences this week as well. Looks like both sites are starting work now.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 21 Jan 2022 10:15

10 key takeaways from West Dallas homeownership success
Here’s why the neighborhoods have been able to build on successes and what might threaten that.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2022/01 ... p-success/

What are threats to West Dallas’ continued success?

Pollution, an old threat, remains one. A more organized community of neighborhood groups means deeper scrutiny of pollution in the midsection of West Dallas, where there’s a large cluster of factories that need environmental permits.
Gentrification means developers offer to buy property regularly. There may be high homeownership rates in places like La Bajada on the eastern fringe of West Dallas and Ledbetter on the western fringe. But the lure of high stacks of dollars can change that.
Real estate taxes are jumping. A Dallas Morning News analysis of census data found that from 2010 to 2019, real estate taxes had doubled. Residents say property taxes have continued to jump in the past two years.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 08 Feb 2022 12:02

Sprouts Farmers Market’s plan for Fort Worth Avenue needs work, peer-review panel says

https://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2022/0 ... an-design/

Sprouts Farmers Market wants to build its “first new standalone prototype” in the Dallas area at Hampton Road and Fort Worth Avenue, but the plan hit roadblocks at City Hall recently.

Sprouts, which is seeking financial incentives from the city, entered a lease agreement with Vista Property Co. last year that is contingent upon zoning approval.

The Arizona-based grocer, which is currently making a big push in the Dallas/Fort Worth market, wants to demolish Elrod’s Cost Plus as well as the old Luby’s that is now a Chinese buffet. The 7-Eleven on the corner is not part of the development, nor is AutoZone.

The store would be built approximately where Elrod’s is now, but angled diagonally. A coffee shop with a drive-thru and a pet store already have signed leases for a retail pad planned on the Fort Worth Avenue side, which also would include a bike rack and outdoor seating. A second retail pad, at Hampton and Remond, hasn’t been leased yet but is planned as a restaurant and could have a drive-thru.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Feb 2022 12:49

It's a fight over allowing a decent grocery store no matter the form it comes in but many have already set the goal of a more urban future for the area. I looked at the landowner/developers history they aren't really an urban developer and neither is Sprouts. Do we push back and demand better for our areas that are redeveloping into somewhat walkable areas or do we give up our goals when a real opportunity walks in the door that seems "good enough". A grocery store like this can really make or break redevelopment and people looking for options who are used to minivans and truck trips to a strip center are gonna lean into allowing it. No matter how many plans we make for these areas Dallas always gives up and says well those plans were cute and all but hey a strip center is fine again. This time it won't end up dead in 30 yrs as it has with many of the areas around South Dallas. This time will be different...