Victory Park 3.0

potatocoins

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby potatocoins » 05 Nov 2021 10:55

I'm glad to hear it is more vibrant these days, I guess my comment was pretty outdated.

I agree that it will only continue to get better. All the development happening in adjacent areas will surely add to the traffic in VP as well. The big game changer will be the re-development of the North End apartments, but who knows how long that will take to get started.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 05 Nov 2021 21:24

I think North end will be the catalyst for the immediate area around AAC where the WFAA station was.

But we will see significant upgrades with the following
1. Victory Commons, next to the dart station,
One more step to filling up the parking lots around AAC.
Will also help with shops, restaurants
2. Thé high line connector, between Katy trail and the trinity strand trail.
This will connect in victory park, will add a lot more foot traffic.
3. The Museum Train station, which after the mess of construction.
Will def help as the other surface lots near El Fenix get covered up.

So you’ll have a continuous sea of developments from El Fenix, the Tom Thumbs,
And uptown in general all the way to the Victory Park. With just the North End apartments lying in wait.

willyk

Postby willyk » 06 Nov 2021 00:06

If the Victor is successful, would Hines do another residential building on the site to the north of the EY building, instead of the previously announced office project?

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 06 Nov 2021 15:23

I hope a bar/restaurant can go into the old WFAA space that could be a corner feature like HERO is. It has a prime patio space and boy do us Dallasites love a patio!

willyk

Postby willyk » 18 Feb 2022 23:44

I saw some building permits on the retail space at the Victor. Does anyone know what’s going in?

dalbert

Postby dalbert » 23 Feb 2022 10:19

I live at The Victor and the scoop is 3 restaurants - a burger place hailing from NY, another concept from the group behind Pie Tap/Taco Lingo, and TBD on the third.

willyk

Postby willyk » 17 Mar 2022 02:32

I see two of the retail spaces in the Cinepolis building also have posted construction permits. Any word about those?

I think that makes a total of 5 retail spaces under construction.

dalbert

Postby dalbert » 29 Mar 2022 09:37

A wing spot from Fort Worth called Dirty Bones is opening across from the AAC on Houston Street. Given the location, should do way better than L'Italiano, which never made sense next to Mio Nonno.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 29 Mar 2022 12:27

This is the place scheduled to go into the Victor:

https://blacktap.com/

Locations in Cali, New York & Vegas. Basically a burgers and beer spot. Looks cool though!

willyk

Postby willyk » 30 Mar 2022 05:51

/\/\ Both of these places are good additions for arena fans and the neighborhood, as well as late night booze cruisers, and should do well.

LPG

Postby LPG » 27 Aug 2022 10:18

Any large scale, upmarket gym in Victory Park or Uptown will crush it - hopeful this comes to fruition.

In February, the company opened a John Reed Fitness in the Preston Center. John Reed gyms, which originally began in Germany, are known for “nightclub vibes” during workouts. Schoepe said RSG Group is also eying a large-scale club in Victory Park.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/loc ... ankruptcy/

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Oct 2023 11:14

After 25 years, Dallas’ Victory Park is nearing the finish line
Only about three development sites remain in the 75-acre mixed-use project northwest of downtown.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... nish-line/

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 27 Oct 2023 15:01

With 4000 plus people living down there I still can't understand why most of those restaurants aren't more full most of the time. How many more people living there will it take to support.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 23 Mar 2024 12:27

Cbdallas wrote:With 4000 plus people living down there I still can't understand why most of those restaurants aren't more full most of the time. How many more people living there will it take to support.

One of the things that pro-automobility advocates say is that few businesses or mixed uses can survive on the basis of the daily demographic group within a "five minute" or "fifteen minute" ideal village -- almost any Ground Floor Retail tenant has to have convenience to people from a much wider radius.

Past that point I have witnessed the arguments and rebuttals go back to the typical circle round and round, but there is no shortage of empirical evidence for this first claim, and Victory bears it out as well.

Our developers/demolishers who built a lot more downtown parking as Dallas spread out past its prewar streetcar suburb belt and lost its physical monopoly or captive audience were not *wrong* to do so, nor did they cause downtown to waste its own focus or usefulness. DTD retail, to have critical mass, required office commuter users who did come from a vastly wider drawshed than fifteen minutes from Main and Akard. Places that had little parking like Deep Ellum had their legacy mass of prewar retail wither even faster in that era. Probably would have even if the streetcars had stayed around trailing in competition with the private vehicle.

We clearly didn't solve, and haven't solved, the commercial problems that our developers/demolishers set out to solve, though, and their actions did cause some losses of usefulness too (but not the decisive ones). I think Victory is just a piece of gigaflair and may always be, something like Las Colinas or the Galleria to put on brochures but not necessarily take any cues from.
But maybe DTD will be the next Deep Ellum now, and once its white elephants are torn down it will fill in with rows of new narrow midrises more like way back when.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 25 Mar 2024 09:13

One of the things that pro-automobility advocates say is that few businesses or mixed uses can survive on the basis of the daily demographic group within a "five minute" or "fifteen minute" ideal village -- almost any Ground Floor Retail tenant has to have convenience to people from a much wider radius.

4000 people is about the size of one suburban neighborhood. It's not a lot of people for multiple large restaurants, gyms, and stores. Also aren't' the vast majority of the units 1-2 bedrooms? Stay at home moms with kids are big 'daytime hours' shoppers, when 1-2 bedroom younger people are at work.
If that's how many people live in VP, then the majority of shopping has to be catered to hotel guest and stadium visitors.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 25 Mar 2024 13:22

Victory Park site owned by the Kroenke Group, Provident Realty Advisors hits market
The 3.6-acre property is being marketed as a redevelopment opportunity.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ts-market/

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 25 Mar 2024 18:01

That building has a lot of history -- and memories. Hopefully it won't get bulldozed.

Dallas_Uptown

Postby Dallas_Uptown » 26 Mar 2024 15:14

Hannibal Lecter wrote:That building has a lot of history -- and memories. Hopefully it won't get bulldozed.

Regrettably, the latest "remodel" with its god-awful (stucco?) façade left it completely unrecognizable and characterless.