Victory Park 3.0

DPatel304

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby DPatel304 » 16 Mar 2018 10:42

Matt777 wrote:Maybe they should change the name of the area to rebrand. Nothing about that area is park-like anyway. Victory Heights fits better.

Yeah, I'm totally for that idea. Victory Park is definitely a misleading name. I've had a friend think that Klyde Warren Park was actually called Victory Park, and another friend who went down to Victory Park for new years, got there, and said "so where's the park?". Neither of these friends get out to the city much..haha, but I'm sure there are others like this as well.

It would certainly be misleading for out of towners as well.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 16 Mar 2018 11:58

I've got an even better solution. Take this forgotten patch of green space and transform it into the new Victory PARK. Put some splashgrounds on there, a few ping pong tables, a restaurant, a dog park, basketball court and a signature piece of art or two.

Fixed it!

Victory_Park.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Mar 2018 12:15

Or focus on fixing the Victory Park that is actually inside of Victory Park. This one would have a high-speed roadway on one side and paid parking lot on the other side. Considering this is so close to Klyde Warren I doubt the city will be inclined to do so.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

willyk

Postby willyk » 16 Mar 2018 13:25

willyk wrote:VP Retail Construction:

In the garage building:
It’s Sugar - bulk candy and ice cream

In the Vista:
1/3 is Billy Can - a saloon
2/3 is Hatchways - coworking for creatives. Upstairs is office space. Ground floor entry is a large display area for creative works. Also has a large coffee shop on the ground floor.

I am wondering if the person who told me “Hatchways” meant to say “HeadSpace.”

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 16 Mar 2018 14:17

DPatel304 wrote:
Matt777 wrote:Maybe they should change the name of the area to rebrand. Nothing about that area is park-like anyway. Victory Heights fits better.

Yeah, I'm totally for that idea. Victory Park is definitely a misleading name. I've had a friend think that Klyde Warren Park was actually called Victory Park, and another friend who went down to Victory Park for new years, got there, and said "so where's the park?". Neither of these friends get out to the city much..haha, but I'm sure there are others like this as well.

It would certainly be misleading for out of towners as well.

Victory park is a perfect name. Victory refers to the Teams that play in the arena and park is an ode to the huge single purpose garages and parking lots that abound throughout the area.

It's more of a parking destination than anything else.

Thus Victory Park is the ideal name.

nth016

Postby nth016 » 16 Mar 2018 14:56

willyk wrote:
willyk wrote:VP Retail Construction:

In the garage building:
It’s Sugar - bulk candy and ice cream

In the Vista:
1/3 is Billy Can - a saloon
2/3 is Hatchways - coworking for creatives. Upstairs is office space. Ground floor entry is a large display area for creative works. Also has a large coffee shop on the ground floor.

I am wondering if the person who told me “Hatchways” meant to say “HeadSpace.”

Nope, you're correct. I live at The Vista and and the Hatchways name is on the door to the space in the service corridor.

It also looks like they have started work on the retail space next to Olivellas. I'm not 100% but I thought I read somewhere that it would be a wine store/bar.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 18 Mar 2018 21:43

The problem right now with VP is that there's no atmosphere there yet. A lot of the retail is spread out with vacant storefronts in between, and most of the retail is only on one side of Victory Park Lane. The other side is all boarded up.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 19 Mar 2018 14:44

From Dallas City Plan Commission's site for 3/22/2018 (http://dallascityhall.com/government/me ... Docket.pdf):

SUMMARY: On August 23, 2000, the Dallas City Council established Planned
Development District No. 582 by Ordinance No. 24346.
At this time, the applicant has submitted an application for consideration of a minor
amendment to the existing development plan for a 39-story mixed-use building with a
maximum height of 432 feet that will be comprised of 347 multi-family units in
conjunction with 9,500 square feet of commercial uses consisting of restaurant, retail,
and personal service uses. The proposed development will total 445,145 square feet.

http://dallascityhall.com/government/me ... 20Plan.pdf

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 19 Mar 2018 15:11

maximum height of 432 feet that will be comprised of 347 multi-family units in
conjunction with 9,500 square feet of commercial uses consisting of restaurant, retail,
and personal service uses. The proposed development will total 445,145 square feet.

That request is for 3099 Olive, which is the surface parking lot adjacent to the parking garage between Victory Ave & Victory Park Lane. They are going to build a 39 story building to the north of the parking garage.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Mar 2018 15:44

Wow, that's a surprise, I wasn't expecting much else in Victory Park until the market had time to absorb all the existing apartments.

The more Victory Park gets built out, the more annoyed I get that the AAC doesn't face Victory Park Lane. It's an awkward transition from the AAC to all the retail in Victory Park. Extremely walkable, but just seems like a missed opportunity here.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 19 Mar 2018 15:49

Was anyone watching the NCAA tournament games this weekend? I didn't get a screencap of it, but it looked like they were using oooooooold aerial shots of the AAC. From before the construction of the Arpeggio, Ascent, etc.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 19 Mar 2018 16:10

From the DMN...

New Victory Park Tower could be the tallest

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ld-tallest

The apartment and retail tower would be construction across the street from the American Airlines Center arena and next door to the W Dallas Hotel.

The building could be as tall as 39 floors tall and would be on the vacant lot previously planned for a high-rise Mandarin Oriental Hotel.

A partnership headed by Houston-based developer Hines has filed site plans with the city for the project, which would have 347 apartments and 9,500 square-feet of retail space. More than 445,000 square feet of construction is planned.

The developer is asking for some minor changes to the zoning to allow for the proposed project.

If built to the full height, the tower would be the tallest in Victory Park.

Victory Park officials declined to comment on the proposed skyscraper.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 19 Mar 2018 17:11

Please build! Victory Park needs a signature tower. Something that actually looks good, unlike the monstrosity that is the W Hotel.

Austin55

Postby Austin55 » 19 Mar 2018 17:18

Nice! It's a shame that lot has been so underutilized for as long as it has.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 19 Mar 2018 17:32

Fun fact, the Mavericks are in a contract at AAC until July 28, 2031! I know Cuban has publicly complained about all the parking being sucked up for construction and has said they've considered looking at the contract to find a way out earlier...not to mention that the AAC will be considered quite old for modern sports arenas in 2031 (built 2001), so is it just me or is it obvious the Mavericks will move across the 35 where the practice complex is and AAC will be bulldozed?

IMO I think the AAC is big deterrent to living in VP. I have considered there before but a big con to me is potentially fighting the traffic and road closures as I come home from work (I work nights and weekends). Not to mention if there's an event on there I would never even consider going to anywhere nearby for a movie or dinner or drinks. Getting rid of AAC would probably greatly improve foot traffic on a day-to-day basis, even if it means losing the flood of people on game days or event days.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 19 Mar 2018 20:31

joshua.dodd wrote:Please build! Victory Park needs a signature tower. Something that actually looks good, unlike the monstrosity that is the W Hotel.

I see this tower every day from downtown and I don't think it looks so great. That being said I tend to agree that VP needs a signature tower that draws attention to the district.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 19 Mar 2018 20:48

This will only add to the eastern skyline view coming from 30 towards Downtown from Ft Worth (which has gotten even more impressive in the last few years). There is a need for a taller building in Victory Park to draw your eyes toward the northern end of the skyline. All of the tallest buildings, (except CityPlace Tower) are located within the Downtown loop. Hopefully, more buildings like this will become a trend in the near future.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 20 Mar 2018 00:22

Was this lot part of the Amazon HQ2 bid? I know Hines was a partner. I wonder if this means VP bid wasn't good enough.

Is it too soon to ask for renders...

I have a bad feeling this won't come to fruition though. To much Multi-family right now.. but who knows... SF stock is over priced Right now in DFW.. maybe more rental developments will come of this until the market corrects itself.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Mar 2018 08:17

flyswatter wrote:Fun fact, the Mavericks are in a contract at AAC until July 28, 2031! I know Cuban has publicly complained about all the parking being sucked up for construction and has said they've considered looking at the contract to find a way out earlier...not to mention that the AAC will be considered quite old for modern sports arenas in 2031 (built 2001), so is it just me or is it obvious the Mavericks will move across the 35 where the practice complex is and AAC will be bulldozed?

IMO I think the AAC is big deterrent to living in VP. I have considered there before but a big con to me is potentially fighting the traffic and road closures as I come home from work (I work nights and weekends). Not to mention if there's an event on there I would never even consider going to anywhere nearby for a movie or dinner or drinks. Getting rid of AAC would probably greatly improve foot traffic on a day-to-day basis, even if it means losing the flood of people on game days or event days.

Mark Cuban complained because of parking issues between the AAC management and Hillwood who owned most of the parking lots except for the sites that the German bank owned like the one mentioned above. The lack of Hillwood giving a damn about parking was pissing Mark Cuban off so he brought the issue to the public realm like he always does to apply pressure.

Hillwood was selling off their lots for multifamily without replacing the parking with structured parking. The city settled the argument by expanding the West Dallas TIF to Victory Park by way of the Continental Bridge and funding the construction of a garage next to the DART station. That garage easily replaced the parking Hillwood was throwing no caution to the wind about and selling off. Hillwood failed with Victory Park so they kinda have sold off their property without much care since they lost control of the original section. They aren't micromanaging Victory Park anymore so beyond their Amazon interest they just want to flip the properties and move on.

Mark has said though that there are potential plans to redevelop the land he bought for a new arena but nothing active at the moment. I personally hope the AAC gets repurposed.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 Mar 2018 10:28

I'll be happy when the Maverick's Design District HQ is a state of the art everything to every Mavericks Fan, but I doubt the team will move from the AAC -- the location is already fantastic and as the city grows the arena location becomes even better; by 2031 the stadium will be ancient by the disposable standards sports franchises have used to torque public financing for bigger and better, usurping team pride for hundreds of millions through a lease that screws the fans and pays the team owner.... so by 2031 Cuban will have either built a new stadium with his own or will have realized the history of the building is more important than wrangling a 50/50 construction cost split with any municipality whorish enough. So, ha ha ha, the city can split the cost of upgrading the existing building with team owners, sure, but there's no actual reason to build a new one -- it's a gym, with bleachers, an ice rink with bleachers -- and if kept up, they'll last as long as the brick and mortar. Give me a break. Perot produced a petty parking problem for Cuban and that's funny! What a douchey thing to do. I really loved it when Cuban entered into evidence a picture of the Championship Trophy during the lawsuit Perot (5% owner) filed against the organization for recklessly spending money.

I'll also put this out there, Mark Cuban is very prideful, vain and can read the trends of a next generation well enough to continue "pioneering" the high road that treats the host city as an equal partner in prosperity rather than a profit source. The return of responsible civic pride, philanthropy, will double the Sport Company that owns the Mavericks as Cuban buys a Baseball Team for Dallas, partnering to build an indoor/outdoor stadium attached to the Convention Center. Anyway....

I think Perot Victory Park was initially planned for 6,000 apartments and maybe twice as much office space as exists and maybe a third more retail/commercial space as there is today.... Something like that, so the residential is close to that, office and retail still has room to grow, but I'd say VP needs to at least triple the number of hotel rooms, aim for 8,000 residents, grow retail by another third and let the office space fill out whatever's left.

Proposing a 500' residential tower isn't a stretch, it's the first of four or five on that scale.

There are two rail-oriented foot paths to the Design District, a street and a bike & pedestrian path to the (presumed) Trinity River Park by way of the Design District, so the pressure to build profitable office towers has a wonderful release valve so Victory Park can pack on the residential pounds so the "district" actually has a chance of developing into a true urban neighborhood people want to visit.

These masterplan developments have been measured by "X" number of dwellings, and the residential population of the CBD has had the similar yardstick of viability rooted in a number of dwellings needed to be viable.... We'll call that Phase One Complete, Phase Two Begin, the threshold has been reached and the threshold is the real beginning of neighborhood building.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 02 Apr 2018 13:21

Plans move ahead for Victory Park office tower

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... fice-tower

Developers are asking for approvals to move ahead with a new tower in Dallas' Victory Park project.

Hillwood Urban has filed plans with the city for an office and retail high-rise that would be built next to DART's Victory Park rail station.

The 15-story building would have 374,000 square feet of office space and 13,000 square feet of retail, according to plans given the city.

The new 2601 Victory Avenue tower would be built across the street from the American Airlines Center arena, and a 7-story parking garage would be built behind the new tower.

Dallas architect BOKA Powell designed the building with brick, concrete and glass - giving a nod to older buildings in the West End district.

The planned office tower is to be built on part of an 8.4-acre tract that Hillwood owns on the west side of Victory Park. It's one of the properties that's been pitched to digital retailer Amazon as a potential site for its second headquarters.

A 1-acre park will separate the new office from the DART station and a parking garage next door.

Victory Park has seen a development boom in the last few years, with a handful of new apartment high-rises, construction of a movie theater and redevelopment of retail space in the project on the northwest side of downtown.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 Apr 2018 13:41

Hmm so reading the tea leaves here is one one of two options.

1) Amazon has shown preliminary interest or a yes to Hillwood so they need to get the first phase going without commenting to the press/public as to why they are moving ahead until Amazon makes its parade press announcement.

2) Amazon has told Hillwood no and Hillwood has another tenant signed but just isn't ready to make an announcement. It seems unlikely that Hillwood would build on speculation without a lead tenant. Dallas office space in Uptown has gotten tight but the demand still hasn't seen to be enough to get banks to loan without a lead tenant.

The big question we all have is how long are these developers willing to wait on Amazon? I imagine some in some of these cities could have good options lined up to build something without an Amazon signing on. How long would Hillwood wait on an answer from Amazon before its costs them too much money?

1522682366-Victory-Render-1-WEB.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 02 Apr 2018 14:42

I'm really not sure what to make of this news. If this is part of the Amazon proposal, is it assumed that Amazon coming to Victory Park isn't possible unless this land is part of the deal? I'm not sure how flexible the proposal is.

If we assume this particular plot of land is make or break for the Amazon proposal, then I really do feel like Hillwood was given an answer. What that answer is, who knows. I know letting the land sit vacant and waiting for Amazon's decision is wasted money and time, but a lot of the land in Victory Park has been dormant for sometime. It's only started to really pick up in the last 3-4 years, so I can't see Hillwood going forward unless they received an answer from Amazon.

Basically, there are too many uncertainties at this point to really draw any conclusions from this, but this is great news for the area. The uncertainty of Amazon is really make it hard for me to really enjoy this news though. :D

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 02 Apr 2018 14:58

^Another thing to consider is that this building is 374,000 sqft but Amazon said it wanted about 500,000 for its first phase. Maybe this checks the box for being in the range of square footage or maybe it doesn't because it falls short.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 02 Apr 2018 15:51

I don't really think Victory is a good fit for Amazon. It was too many cobbled together parcels and seemed a bit spread-out to make sense. The Smart District makes far more sense to me. Plus, if this tower was going to be for Amazon and they needed 500K sq ft we'd see them just add 2 or 3 more floors to this project.

Hillwood generally does not build spec, but perhaps since the scope is only 15 stories and not 30 maybe they're willing to get in the game. Lincoln Property gambled without a lead tenant on 1900 Pearl.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 02 Apr 2018 18:11

Kelley USA wrote:I don't really think Victory is a good fit for Amazon. It was too many cobbled together parcels and seemed a bit spread-out to make sense.

I would agree if HQ2's millions of square footage hadn't been laid out over a 10 or 15 year period. As it's planned, though, Amazon would 'average' one new building a year for a decade and with what's already available within walking distance, The Victory Park - Harwood - West End - Ross cobbling would really be sitting pretty, plenty of workplace vairety.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 03 Apr 2018 08:22

It just depends on what Amazon wants. Do they want a solid bordered defined campus or a campus spread over a few walkable blocks with other buildings not controlled by them integrated? The Victory proposal would promote a little more integration into the community rather than a walled off-campus experience like you might get with one big continuous block of land like the Smart District proposed around City Hall.

dch526

Postby dch526 » 03 Apr 2018 11:14

Kelley USA wrote:I don't really think Victory is a good fit for Amazon. It was too many cobbled together parcels and seemed a bit spread-out to make sense. The Smart District makes far more sense to me. Plus, if this tower was going to be for Amazon and they needed 500K sq ft we'd see them just add 2 or 3 more floors to this project.

Hillwood generally does not build spec, but perhaps since the scope is only 15 stories and not 30 maybe they're willing to get in the game. Lincoln Property gambled without a lead tenant on 1900 Pearl.

^^ The more likely scenario. From a previous article Hillwood was quoted saying
In addition, for the right tenant, we can increase the buildings size to 525,000 square feet.

If they did get a yes, and Amazon wants that building ASAP, then they could have put the smaller SF to not give it away and then update to 525k once the announcement comes out.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 04 Apr 2018 08:27

Plus the city would be willing to discuss the adjustment on the square footage as soon as the news goes public. For now, the city would approve things as proposed. It isn't hard to re-submit documents to the city even during construction for adjustments in square footage particularly when city hall would have made a deal with Amazon on incentives.

jsoto3

Postby jsoto3 » 08 Apr 2018 21:34

Hines Block A Development Plan:
http://dallascityhall.com/government/me ... 20Plan.pdf

Hillwood Urban 2601 Victory Avenue Development Plan:
http://dallascityhall.com/government/me ... 20PLAN.pdf

Victory Master Parking & Floor Area Plan:
http://dallascityhall.com/government/me ... ARKING.pdf

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 09 Apr 2018 17:31

Those parking numbers are depressing. They mean that the huge garages are developer/banker-driven, not due to city requirements. And to be honest, the developers are probably correct about the demand for those spaces. I had been hoping that developers had been building to the minimum requirements set by the city (meaning that we could see significant reductions if the city relaxed those requirements), but oh well.

I wonder what those numbers look like for the typical midrise in Dallas.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 Apr 2018 09:33

Those numbers are driven by the American Airlines Arena contract requirements. The operator of the arena is not here to argue urban redevelopment and reduced parking for transit use. They care more about having enough parking that they don't scare off tickets sales and events from booking the venue understandably so.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 10 Apr 2018 10:49

...and making sure AAC has ample, reasonably priced parking is just as important to the livability of Victory Park as it is to making sure the stadium has no idle time.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 10 Apr 2018 23:54

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Those numbers are driven by the American Airlines Arena contract requirements. The operator of the arena is not here to argue urban redevelopment and reduced parking for transit use. They care more about having enough parking that they don't scare off tickets sales and events from booking the venue understandably so.

I’m not referring to the AAC. I’m referring to buildings like Cirque and The House, which built parking well in excess of zoning requirements.

dch526

Postby dch526 » 11 Apr 2018 09:47

tanzoak wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:Those numbers are driven by the American Airlines Arena contract requirements. The operator of the arena is not here to argue urban redevelopment and reduced parking for transit use. They care more about having enough parking that they don't scare off tickets sales and events from booking the venue understandably so.

I’m not referring to the AAC. I’m referring to buildings like Cirque and The House, which built parking well in excess of zoning requirements.

Not sure where you're getting that for the House.

For the House:
Restaurants are parked at 1:100, therefore 21,149 SF would require 211.49>212 spaces
Retail is parked at 1:250, therefore 5,749 SF would require 23 spaces
Residential is parked 1:500, therefore 144,500 SF of residential space requires 289 spaces
Overall parking required (based on city of Dallas general zoning): 524 spaces with a garage that totals 384 spaces....it is well under parked without the shared parking agreements with adjacent lots

The table indicates the parking required by this particular PD. The onsite parking is 4 less than required and none of the other "shared parking" is regulated to make sure just people visiting, living, dining or shopping in the House use it. Actually, the House has 2 separate garages and a portion of the 384 is not regulated and anyone can park in those too.

The Cirque, yea that's over parked and with most of it being inside the gated area of the garage, it's not like it can be re-designated in the future

Props to The 23 though for using the 10% DART reduction and hitting that number exactly.

http://www.dallascityattorney.com/51/51TOC.html

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 11 Apr 2018 18:22

Victory Park shares fresh details on the newest food and drink spots slated to open

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/res ... -want-back

On the path to opening up to 10 food and drink spots this year, Victory Park has offered a few more details about the ones coming soonest. And the developers are starting with a sugar rush.

Victory Park has been aggressively working to upgrade the mix at the center adjacent to the American Airlines Center. Past restaurants and retailers shuttered as consumers bemoaned the prices and parking.

Now, the project backers are bringing in more traffic generators, including Cinépolis Luxury Cinemas - Victory Park. Most of the new food and drink concepts are set to open this summer.

"It's gratifying to see our intense redevelopment efforts continue to pay off with commitments from best-in-class [food and drink] and retail operators, which will help transform Victory into one of the most vibrant, walkable retail and entertainment districts in the city," Terry Montesi, chief executive of Trademark Property Co., said in a news release. Trademark is helping lead the "food and beverage renaissance at Victory Park."

Here's the latest:

1) It's Sugar opens late this month at 2401 Victory Park Lane. Founded by candy veteran Jeff Rubin in 2006, It's Sugar in Victory Park will be the latest among more than 100 retail outlets in the U.S. The brand already has locations in Grapevine and at Sundance Square in Fort Worth. This store will be the candy retailer's first location to feature an ice cream shop.

2) Popbar opens in June at 2420 Victory Park Lane. This 690-square-foot spot serves handcrafted gelato, sorbetto, and frozen hot chocolate on a stick. The menu also includes more than 40 rotating flavors, along with dippings and toppings that allow for customization. There's also a location in Fort Worth.

3) Mesero. Despite the very public legal spat between the founder of the popular Tex-Mex chain, Michael "Mico" Rodriguez and some investors, the brand is moving forward with plans for location No. 7, which is described in a news release as the flagship.

4) Imoto, an Asian kitchen and bar from Tracy Rathbun, wife of celebrity chef Kent Rathbun and the force behind Shinsei on Inwood Road. This one's in the spot of the former Kenichi, one of the earliest and longest lasting tenants in Victory Park. It closed one year ago.

5) Burgundy Swine. A traditional wine bar that will have a dog-friendly patio outside and a private tasting room inside. It'll also have a retail shop for anyone who wants a bottle of wine to go, according to a press release.

6) A restaurant by This & That Concepts (the team behind High Fives and The Standard Pour);

7) A bar by Brooke Humphries (also known for Barcadia, Beauty Bar, and Pints & Quarts). It's set to open in the fall in the existing parking structure on Victory Park Lane. You'll enter the parking garage.

8) A 24,000-square-foot restaurant and entertainment concept in Victory Plaza by Humphries and Elias Pope's 8020 Hospitality (the team behind HG Sply Co.);

9 & 10) Two unique concepts by Rebees, led by Dallas entrepreneur Tristan Simon: a modern Texas saloon, where chef Matthew Ford (formerly of downtown Dallas restaurant Americano) is heading up the culinary operations, and a creative workspace with a day-focused café. They are set to open in the fall.

Victory is adding 85,000 square feet of new retail space, and "making key enhancements to evolve into a more energetic, walkable and soulful urban neighborhood," the release said.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Apr 2018 21:12

Thanks for sharing. That's a very solid line-up and once most of these open, it'll be a game changer for the area. Looks like we will get a couple spaces open this summer, with a few more in the Fall, but a few of them are still up in the air.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 12 Apr 2018 09:02

I'm excited about everything moving into Victory, I would love to see a total transformation of the area in terms of foot traffic.

However, I do enjoy the juxtaposition of these two sentences that are right next to each other.

Past restaurants and retailers shuttered as consumers bemoaned the prices and parking.

Now, the project backers are bringing in more traffic generators, including Cinépolis Luxury Cinemas - Victory Park.

Yeah yeah yeah, all those other guys failed because the prices were too high. You know what we need? A luxury movie theater!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Apr 2018 09:46

I will most likely stay at Alamo Draft House. Like the atmosphere, the Vetted Well is nice and it works with my Movie Pass card.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 12 Apr 2018 10:59

Was down there again yesterday about 6pm there was almost no one anywhere all existing restuarants were empty not even people having a drink at the bar. I just have to wonder where are the people that already live down there and what are they doing? I sure hope all of this works but I have to wonder is it the arena itself that is causing the void. On non event days it is a ghost town and event days cause traffic jams around entire area which keeps the locals away. This is still for me the one part of DFW with the most big city potential but it is all still unrealized. UGH.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Apr 2018 12:12

Maybe they'll have a kick off party to raise awareness, get folks walking around. Taste of Dallas seems to have made a perfect home at Fair Park, and I would not want it to move, but VP could use something like that. Also seems likely the Film Festival will have reasons to screen at the VP theater next year. As the Dallas Art Festival continues to meet/exceed expectations, VP would be an ideal location expanding art-oriented events to include a companion festival focusing on Design District galleries and the Contemporary Museum.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Apr 2018 13:33

If you ask any of my friends there is nothing in Victory Park which is why they keep telling people things are coming. I feel like they keep listing stuff but none of it has come so far. Most of my friends live near Victory Park but they just haven't proven that there is anything worth traveling there to see. These are the same people that go to the Arena but with every event, the goal is to get out of the traffic snarl as fast as you can and get back to the bars they know well or go home.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 12 Apr 2018 15:11

cowboyeagle05 wrote:If you ask any of my friends there is nothing in Victory Park which is why they keep telling people things are coming. I feel like they keep listing stuff but none of it has come so far. Most of my friends live near Victory Park but they just haven't proven that there is anything worth traveling there to see. These are the same people that go to the Arena but with every event, the goal is to get out of the traffic snarl as fast as you can and get back to the bars they know well or go home.

It is strange how long its taken any of this to actually open up. I feel like they've been announced for quite a while now.

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 12 Apr 2018 17:11

IMO it's going to be incredibly tough to make Victory Park be successful in the way that we would all like. The architecture and street layout is so disjointed and disconnected from one street to the next with large parcels and buildings preventing any kind of natural pedestrian flow. I'm afraid it's never going to be more than a place to go before or after events at the AAC for anyone who doesn't live in VP, and I'm not sure if that daytime and nighttime population can/will really support 10+ new bar and restaurant concepts in addition to what is already there.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Apr 2018 17:28

Kill the arena save the neighborhood.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 12 Apr 2018 18:07

CRE_Investor wrote:IMO it's going to be incredibly tough to make Victory Park be successful in the way that we would all like. The architecture and street layout is so disjointed and disconnected from one street to the next with large parcels and buildings preventing any kind of natural pedestrian flow. I'm afraid it's never going to be more than a place to go before or after events at the AAC for anyone who doesn't live in VP, and I'm not sure if that daytime and nighttime population can/will really support 10+ new bar and restaurant concepts in addition to what is already there.

Does the awkward street layout matter so much? The majority of restaurants are opening along Victory Park Ln, so as long as that one particular street is walkable and vibrant, I think it'll be a success. Yes, if you leave that immediate area, it might be awkward and there might not be much to do, but I'd imagine most people will drive there and valet/park, or Uber and just stick to that one stretch of road.

It's strange that the plaza in front of the AAC doesn't 'open up' to Victory Park Ln, though, and it's a huge shame that the Katy Trail just kinda ends right next to the AAC, but does a terrible job and keeping the pedestrian traffic flowing into Victory Park.

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Kill the arena save the neighborhood.

Yeah, this would make such a big difference. It would fix the issues I have with the Katy Trail entrance as well as the direction the AAC is facing.

Hwulivn

Postby Hwulivn » 12 Apr 2018 22:01

I don’t think VP will be as vibrant as we hope either. I think there needs to be even more residential than is planned. I also think VP needs one or two more regional level destinations to be truly vibrant. Long term, strong, creative pedestrian connections need to be made across I-35....as impossible as that seems.

willyk

Postby willyk » 13 Apr 2018 06:21

Skepticism is warranted given the track record and the fact that the new venues are not visible. But I think the owners finally got it right and that VP will draw a crowd comparable to the West Village when the new retail is finally open

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 13 Apr 2018 10:05

Around 2011 I spent a lot of time at the Terrace condos and most of the people I talked with loved living close to the arena, hosting pre- and after-parties, walking to concerts and games, letting a friend park in their garage, etc. They knew exactly what they were getting when they chose to live there, so the arena traffic was never something they publicly complained about.

That said, the AAC will be gone one day in the future and I wonder what it should be replaced with. Being city owned, does it have a next life as anything other than a public park named Victory?

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 13 Apr 2018 11:06

Does anyone feel that the success (or lack thereof) of the Mavericks and Stars plays into this at all? My hunch is no, since this area was dead even when the Mavs won the title, but curious if that factors in. I have similar concerns about the new Rangers ballpark, given the fact that team is on a pretty steady decline.